If character is so important to the new regime...

C.Biscuit97

Henderson is going to get a look at RT once he gets back. If they didn't think he had enough talent to at least be a swing tackle they would have cut him by now. Mills kinda won the job by default. Dawkins is a rookie switching sides and still needs time to acclimate to the right side, plus now it seems he may be seeing some time on the left side to fill in for Glenn. And then Henderson, they knew he had the suspension for the first five games, so who was left? Mills.

I'm almost certain they like Powell because he can play special teams as a returner/gunner. He's also got some speed to him so he may be a guy they wanna utilize for deep shots down the field.

Also, it doesn't hurt them at all to retain a suspended player. They don't count for a roster spot. Only when their suspension is up do they have to worry about either cutting them or cutting someone else to give them a spot on the active roster.

I though this was going to be another "cut/trade Dareus" post.

Maybe we're putting a bit too much emphasis on the whole "character" thing. It's obviously something that McDermott cares about when it comes to building a team, but they aren't going to simply get rid of every single person that has any kind of off field issue. The Cowboys and Bills may be on different ends of the character spectrum, and even though guys like Powell and Henderson aren't top talent players, they aren't exactly guys that have had multiple issues, and they provide solid depth. Henderson has had some "issues", but mostly health related.

It will take a more serious violation for the Bills to simply move on from a player.

Not sure but obviously Henderson is probably going to get a shot at the starting RT spot when he comes back because Mills a true turnstile and one of the worst starters this team has seen at any position in the last 17 years.

Cornell Green was worse. I'm not sticking up for Mills, just saying there was an even worse player than him at RT during this time period.

Why are Walt Powell and Seantrel Henderson still on the roster?

I'll give you Henderson for violating the same rule twice but Powell was his first strike and sounds more like an honest mistake. Could not be but seemed genuine in his statement.

I was disappointed to recently find out that I had mistakenly used a product that caused a positive result during testing. Although I’m frustrated with the result, I’ve accepted the league’s discipline of a four game suspension. I apologize to my teammates, coaches, the entire Bills organization and the Bills fans for my mistake. I will continue to give the Bills my best effort every day, and help contribute to a successful 2017 season.
Edited by The Wiz

Maybe we're putting a bit too much emphasis on the whole "character" thing. It's obviously something that McDermott cares about when it comes to building a team, but they aren't going to simply get rid of every single person that has any kind of off field issue. The Cowboys and Bills may be on different ends of the character spectrum, and even though guys like Powell and Henderson aren't top talent players, they aren't exactly guys that have had multiple issues, and they provide solid depth. Henderson has had some "issues", but mostly health related.

It will take a more serious violation for the Bills to simply move on from a player.

Ya think? :D:beer:

It's a process and a signal. The process entails starting to separate the wheat from the chaff. That means you try to get as much good while disposing of as much bad as possible. You can never get rid of all the bad in one swing. The more important point is the signal. When you start cutting the dead weight off, those who may be minor issues will turn it around of get gone. The serious offenders, get removed, unless they have monster contacts (See: the fat car racer). In a room of 53, like an office, you'll always have a few trouble sports. The points is the process and the signal is about reducing that number to as manageable a number as possible so as not to be overrun by them. I try to recycle 100% of the time, but I can't 100% of the time. So does that means I'm not true to my word or beliefs or does it indicate I do the best I can within context?

Cornell Green was worse. I'm not sticking up for Mills, just saying there was an even worse player than him at RT during this time period.

I honestly can't keep track because we've seen such terrible players in Buffalo during the drought but yes who can forget Cornell Green and all 5 starts he made before he was dumped.

I believe it is only a matter of time

It likely is just a matter of time. Why because they are also not that good.

Character imo with McD mean less about the off-field and more about the on-field Character

this **** infuriates me.

Thats why i shop at Aldi. They always take their cart back to get their .25 back lol

You're stealing work from that guy in the yellow vest. You're a monster.

The local grocery store down the road from me does a good thing by hiring people with disabilities for those jobs.

Sometimes it can be an inconvenience because I've had a few times where one of them is walking directly down the middle of lane. Not the aisle, the lane right next to the main road where you enter/exit from. It completely blocks traffic going both ways and if she has a lot of carts, she moves very slowly.

You basically creep for 1 mph for 3-4 minutes. There have been times where it backs up all the way to the main road.

It likely is just a matter of time. Why because they are also not that good.

Character imo with McD mean less about the off-field and more about the on-field Character

Thats why i shop at Aldi. They always take their cart back to get their .25 back lol

Agreed. Strong correlation between talent/performance and how much you can put up with.

It's a process and a signal. The process entails starting to separate the wheat from the chaff. That means you try to get as much good while disposing of as much bad as possible. You can never get rid of all the bad in one swing. The more important point is the signal. When you start cutting the dead weight off, those who may be minor issues will turn it around of get gone. The serious offenders, get removed, unless they have monster contacts (See: the fat car racer). In a room of 53, like an office, you'll always have a few trouble sports. The points is the process and the signal is about reducing that number to as manageable a number as possible so as not to be overrun by them. I try to recycle 100% of the time, but I can't 100% of the time. So does that means I'm not true to my word or beliefs or does it indicate I do the best I can within context?

Bull manure! I don't remember anybody on the Bills in recent years that has been guilty of truly bad behavior off the field. There have been some drug violations, some PED violations, some stupid behavior, and some regrettable incidents, but nothing that's truly or deliberately vicious, violent, perverted or pathologically criminal. These are mostly twenty-something guys cut loose from two major restraints that force most twenty-something males to behave reasonably well: limited financial means and censure from parents, other family, friends, etc. They're going to get into trouble because it's what young people do. Because they're local celebs, they're gonna get their names in the news when they do it.

Have any of the Bills been accused of rape? Of child abuse? Of killing someone? Of selling dope? Of robbing a bank? Of spousal abuse/assault? I think the biggest/ugliest incident was Shady's involvement in that nasty bar fight in Philly where a couple of people were seriously injured, but he wasn't charged in that. I'm not sure that anyone was.

It seems to me that when the Bills have nattered on about character in the past, they were using code for "we're going to chuck talented players in favor of JAGs who cost a lot less and use 'character issues' as the excuse for doing it." I hope the current regime isn't going down that same road, but usually when something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, it is, in fact, a duck.

Do you these players personally, so that you can attest to their " undesirable" character?

The circumstances around Powell and Henderson have been documented and discussed publicly. They're professional athletes. You don't need to know them personally to see red flags.

In many cases, the public doesn't know the truth or all the details. But Powell and Henderson didn't beat their girlfriends or anything like that. The Bills aren't going to just outright cut every player the second they screw up. It depends on the circumstances. And as others have mentioned, suspended players don't count towards the 53 man roster. But Washington had a scary run-in with the law (that couldn't have turned out any better), but the Bills didn't just move on from him because he made (another) poor choice.

Still, a player's status with the team will factor in to the coach's decision making. Say Washington did something more egregious, and was suspended for two games. Unless it's something ridiculously stupid or negative, he's probably a bit "safer" than, say, Gerald Hodges, if he were to commit the same offense. Washington is younger, and is probably viewed as a replacement on the line for Kyle Williams in the very near future (although I believe that player should Jerel Worthy).

McDermott and the Bills FO care about character. It is a big factor in their evaluations, but not the main factor. But if you can shape your roster with good, high character type players over the course of a couple years, you essentially change the culture. Effort trumps talent every time, and with the high amount of draft capital that the Bills have now, they can afford to move on from a couple "low character" players in the off-season, while still landing a top QB, if they feel it's necessary.

The circumstances around Powell and Henderson have been documented and discussed publicly. They're professional athletes. You don't need to know them personally to see red flags.

In many cases, the public doesn't know the truth or all the details. But Powell and Henderson didn't beat their girlfriends or anything like that. The Bills aren't going to just outright cut every player the second they screw up. It depends on the circumstances. And as others have mentioned, suspended players don't count towards the 53 man roster. But Washington had a scary run-in with the law (that couldn't have turned out any better), but the Bills didn't just move on from him because he made (another) poor choice.

Still, a player's status with the team will factor in to the coach's decision making. Say Washington did something more egregious, and was suspended for two games. Unless it's something ridiculously stupid or negative, he's probably a bit "safer" than, say, Gerald Hodges, if he were to commit the same offense. Washington is younger, and is probably viewed as a replacement on the line for Kyle Williams in the very near future (although I believe that player should Jerel Worthy).

McDermott and the Bills FO care about character. It is a big factor in their evaluations, but not the main factor. But if you can shape your roster with good, high character type players over the course of a couple years, you essentially change the culture. Effort trumps talent every time, and with the high amount of draft capital that the Bills have now, they can afford to move on from a couple "low character" players in the off-season, while still landing a top QB, if they feel it's necessary.

No high effort doesnt trump talent. It just really doesnt.

But thats another debate. Has anyone had McD clarify what he means by Character? I bet you will hear something like puts in the work, film rat, gym rat yada yada. Then some passing reference like and keeps nose clean off field (every coach wants that).

Bull manure! I don't remember anybody on the Bills in recent years that has been guilty of truly bad behavior off the field. There have been some drug violations, some PED violations, some stupid behavior, and some regrettable incidents, but nothing that's truly or deliberately vicious, violent, perverted or pathologically criminal. These are mostly twenty-something guys cut loose from two major restraints that force most twenty-something males to behave reasonably well: limited financial means and censure from parents, other family, friends, etc. They're going to get into trouble because it's what young people do. Because they're local celebs, they're gonna get their names in the news when they do it.

Have any of the Bills been accused of rape? Of child abuse? Of killing someone? Of selling dope? Of robbing a bank? Of spousal abuse/assault? I think the biggest/ugliest incident was Shady's involvement in that nasty bar fight in Philly where a couple of people were seriously injured, but he wasn't charged in that. I'm not sure that anyone was.

It seems to me that when the Bills have nattered on about character in the past, they were using code for "we're going to chuck talented players in favor of JAGs who cost a lot less and use 'character issues' as the excuse for doing it." I hope the current regime isn't going down that same road, but usually when something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, it is, in fact, a duck.

If Kromer was brought back by McDermott, and he punched a teenager, I highly doubt the Bills would have kept him on the staff. Not a player, I know, but the message would be clear.

I know he was suspended for 6 games or whatever, but that was under Rex's circus tent. If a player does this, you know he would not be around much longer.

Only issues Sentrel has had is trying to medicate crohns with medical marijuana.

As has been noted on this board a multitude of times, Henderson has had many suspensions and incidents related to marijuana use that far predate his Crohn's diagnosis. He's not here because he'd rather smoke pot than play football.