McDermott's clapping really ticks me off

I think there's more to his personality than we get to see... He looks robotic with the clapping on TV maybe, but did you see when he was Mic'd up? The guy has energy...

I like McDermott...

Again, I never said I didn't like him. It is specific situations that's really bother me. It is extremely frustrating to watch him continuously applaud a 3 and out. You are correct. We see snap shots of who the guy is. But it is the same with Rex. People around here were all excited about his boisterous attitude and then we sucked and it starts to piss everyone off. We'll see what happens and opinions on McD when we are 6-10 at the end of the season

dont forget Juarons dead stare after huge breakdowns, like he seriously died- standing up.

Great addition

10 years, 4 of my key guys have been here 8 yrs, 1 has been here 5, and the other 3 around 2, the last 3 are relatively new because other members weren't cooperating.

Manufacturing, that's all I'm saying.

The verbiage that you use make you appear to be a dictator-type boss. With such a small team, I'm surprised that method of management has been sustainable/effective.

The verbiage that you use make you appear to be a dictator-type boss. With such a small team, I'm surprised that method of management has been sustainable/effective.

This method of management doesn't work on everyone, I get to hire my own crew so I know what personalities to look for. As long as there is a possibility of an incentive, you can mold your group's behavior to how you see fit.

Do you like his sideline mannerisms?

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Todd Bowles **** eating grin

Carrols gum smacking confusion

Looks like he might have cracked my top three...

You're mad at hand clapping?

Even if you think the best fit is to be the ra-ra type guy who acts like he wants to be everyone's friend?

Ultimately that's McDermott's choice, I don't think that style of management works in the NFL, time will tell. The NFL is very similar to the military. You have a room full of alpha males, you need tough as nails discipline and viewing failure as unacceptable. I don't think excessive positive attitude on 3 and outs is going to earn the respect towards the general. Edited by 100DollarBills

Ultimately that's McDermott's choice, I don't think that style of management works in the NFL, time will tell. The NFL is very similar to the military. You have a room full of alpha males, you need tough as nails discipline and viewing failure as unacceptable. I don't think excessive positive attitude on 3 and outs is going to earn the respect towards the general.

I'm not sure if you were in the military, but I'd like to know which branch. Because I know for the Navy and Air Force, the whole "tough as nails discipline/viewing failure as unacceptable" thing ends with boot camp.

My guess is that you're talking about Marines, which would make more sense, give the recipients of the discipline.

Ultimately that's McDermott's choice, I don't think that style of management works in the NFL, time will tell. The NFL is very similar to the military. You have a room full of alpha males, you need tough as nails discipline and viewing failure as unacceptable. I don't think excessive positive attitude on 3 and outs is going to earn the respect towards the general.

I think the reason we're disagreeing about this is because you see him clapping on the field and associate it with him expressing a positive attitude on bad plays.

Did you watch him in the mic'ed up segment? Can't seem to find it right now, but I'll keep digging.

What you think you hear and what you actually may be different things. He's yelling at guys "to use your head" and "stop looking at the scoreboard." And he's clapping in a lot of it, but he's not calling them sweet buttercups.

EDIT: That mic'e up is from the Jets, but it's worth the listen nonetheless.

Edited by LABillzFan

I think the reason we're disagreeing about this is because you see him clapping on the field and associate it with him expressing a positive attitude on bad plays.

Did you watch him in the mic'ed up segment? Can't seem to find it right now, but I'll keep digging.

What you think you hear and what you actually may be different things. He's yelling at guys "to use your head" and "stop looking at the scoreboard." And he's clapping in a lot of it, but he's not calling them sweet buttercups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCLrt3dkZw

Ya it's great.

But your edit says it all. That entire video was of positive plays where clapping makes sense. My point, and some other posters, find it annoying when he claps after the negative plays. Like initially stated, I don't know what he is saying and he does seem extremely sincere. It is simply frustrating to watch the coach do the same thing he does when the fail vs when the succeed

Ya it's great.

But your edit says it all. That entire video was of positive plays where clapping makes sense. My point, and some other posters, find it annoying when he claps after the negative plays. Like initially stated, I don't know what he is saying and he does seem extremely sincere. It is simply frustrating to watch the coach do the same thing he does when the fail vs when the succeed

He's doing what you want your coach to do: always be coaching.

And watch Incognito at the 3 minute mark: "Congratulations on your first. Hey...it's a whole new phucking energy, man. A whole new phucking energy."

But hey...what do the players know.

Edited by LABillzFan

He's doing what you want your coach to do: always be coaching.

And watch Incognito at the 3 minute mark: "Congratulations on your first. Hey...it's a whole new phucking energy, man. A whole new phucking energy."

But hey...what do the players know.

I heard it. But you are missing my point.

I'm not arguing his coaching style, but his sideline behavior. He could very well be the next great HC or he could be run out of town in two years.

As far as 64's comments: they beat the Jets at home opening weekend. I'm sure the energy and adrenaline was excellent. Was the energy the same vs the Panthers? Will it be the same this week vs the Broncos?

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

Ya it's great.

if you're annoyed by a coach clapping, regardless of when he does it, you are unstable. I don't want to pick on you because folks like you tend to be the sensitive sort but seriously man, get over the clapping.

I thought I'd seen it all, guess not.

Thanks... that was great. He says baby too much HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Thumbup19%5B1%5D.gif

Again, I never said I didn't like him. It is specific situations that's really bother me. It is extremely frustrating to watch him continuously applaud a 3 and out. You are correct. We see snap shots of who the guy is. But it is the same with Rex. People around here were all excited about his boisterous attitude and then we sucked and it starts to piss everyone off. We'll see what happens and opinions on McD when we are 6-10 at the end of the season

Great addition

The question we all fail to ask is, is it the coach/coaches who is/are the problem, or is it the players.

You mentioned finishing with a 6-10 record. My question to you is, if we sent our entire coaching staff to New England and acquired THEIR entire coaching staff in return, would we have a better record than 6-10?

If you answered yes, then we're destined to fail no matter which players we acquire (or get rid of) and all the other threads about Sammy and Darby and Dareus should be shut down. Because we will have known that its not the players who are at fault. It's the coaching.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I would rather him yell at players and show disappointment on the sidelines after a disastrous 3 and out. But, he's just being himself and I can't blame the guy for that.

I think he's one of the best head coaches we've had in recent years (as far as demeanor) and I like the coaching staff he's put together like Frazier (but i dislike our OC Im sorry).

So yeah man. There are many who feel the way you do about the clapping including myself (to a certain degree). But does it deserve it's own thread? Nah...

Does it annoy you that he wears long sleeves instead of a Bills polo?

Now that you mention it ... WTF? I never trust guys who wear long sleeves in hot weather. If I see a kind of emaciated guy like that walking around downtown with a long sleeve T shirt, temp in the 80s, my immediate thought is "drug addict covering up tracks on his arms."

Unless, of course, it's a really pale Irishman with skin cancer concerns. Never mind.

I think the montage is hilarious, but the issue of his clapping to support the players doesn't bother me at all.

I definitely agree. Kind falls into the bitching just to B word category which ain't my m.o.

Is it ok that he's clapping today?

Really..

I know fans are callous after the past 17 years, but clapping makes a person angry?

He can clap 24 hours a day for all I care, as long as he does a good job.

I'ts too early to call, but I think we've found our head coach....