Tyrod Taylor 2.0?

JerseyBills

------------------

I'm with you on this. He seemed much improved albeit against the Jets. Outside of Clay he didn't really have that chemistry with his WRs. He hit Zay on a pretty quick hitch and I thought it would continue, wrong. Matthews had one big play but to be fair he missed all of the preseason. Thank God for Shady and Tolbert ran well. This team is better than most give credit for.

Why the "albeit against the Jets"? Their D is widely considered to be above average and that's the unit the Bills O defeated.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Guy played good and we can't just be happy. I feel like the minority here. I'm the loser for liking OUR starting QB.

There is a crispness to the pace of the offense as well and nobody is mentioning this. I liked what I saw. Tyrod had almost 300 yds combined and was 2/1 and really SHOULD have been 3/0.

Great point.

The O absolutely looked crisp, they got to the line very quick, everybody was on the same page, it was super refreshing after last year with alot of confusion and late play calls.

And man, I agree , I feel the minority too, because I'm rooting for the QB of the team I love , that has led top 12 scoring offenses with no defense. It's sad really.

A few common statements made by some fans are "TT is what he is", "average at best", "what you see is what you get" etc. Does anyone really believe after watching him yesterday in this new offense that he won't play better in it? That he can't play better? He and the receivers will get more comfortable, his decision making will improve and the coaching staff will learn better what the strengths anweaknesses of everyone on offense are.

Edited by horned dogs

Ummmm. Pass distribution and throw the ball away to avoid sacks. Isn't that Brady's bread and butter?

He hasn't and didn't put the team on his back and win games. That's what the great ones do sometimes. Other than that, the Bills got yesterday and have gotten for two seasons good QB play from Taylor.

you compared him to Brady, :w00t::w00t:

TT did very good. Now we need to see the same for at least 12 more games.

A few common statements made by some fans are "TT is what he is", "average at best", "what you see is what you get" etc. Does anyone really believe after watching him yesterday in this new offense that he won't play better in it? That he can't play better? He and the receivers will get more comfortable, his decision making will improve and the coaching staff will learn better what the strengths anweaknesses of everyone on offense are.

I'm as sold as I am with Alex Smith being Elite QB's after 1 game.

Now see here, after a couple posts with which I actually agree - let's pump the brakes and not read too much into one game - here you go with the agenda again.

Who are all these people claiming that TT is great? Link the posts that "jumped on that narrative" or it didn't happen.

"Drastically improved"

"Proved the doubters wrong"

These are comments that have been made that show posters going overboard based off this one solid performance.

Taylor looked like the same QB he has always been, but I have no issues with his play yesterday and the INT wasn't really his fault. He was more than good enough to beat a hapless Jets team.

But something tells me his glaring flaws and deficiencies will be on full display next week in Carolina against a much better team and defense.

Something tells me your glaring bias will be on full display all season.

you compared him to Brady, :w00t::w00t:

TT did very good. Now we need to see the same for at least 12 more games.

I'm as sold as I am with Alex Smith being Elite QB's after 1 game.

Yes I also have a new appreciation for Alex Smith. There comes a point when you admit your wrong and move on. He is what he is a damn good QB.

------------------

I'm with you on this. He seemed much improved albeit against the Jets. Outside of Clay he didn't really have that chemistry with his WRs. He hit Zay on a pretty quick hitch and I thought it would continue, wrong. Matthews had one big play but to be fair he missed all of the preseason. Thank God for Shady and Tolbert ran well. This team is better than most give credit for.

Why the "albeit against the Jets"? Their D is widely considered to be above average and that's the unit the Bills O defeated.

Nothing I said was wrong. It was exactly what happened in the game. So, the opposite of wrong.

You say he hung in the pocket which is true. He hung in the pocket because he had a tough time examining what he's seeing and doesn't make reads fast enough.

He needs to work on that more than anything else. He needs to trust his receivers to be where the play dictates they will be and throw the ball giving them a chance to do something after the catch.

He waits til a player is open and thus the play more times than not ends as soon as they make the catch.

It wasn't all bad. No one is saying that. There was good and there was bad. Playing the Jets helped in that we could still win with the bad.

That's going to change as soon as we play a real team out there.

I'm allowed to criticize our qb. Especially when the qb has very real things to criticize. I saw more of the same than much needed improvement and you didn't. Season truly starts next week.

This is nonsense. He hangs in the pocket because he's slow to make reads? Huh? And you know this how? BTW, I thought the "flaw" was he bailed out of the pocket because he couldn't make reads. Now it's he doesn't bail out because he can't make the reads. Yeow.

As to not "throwing his receivers open," that's patently not true on streak patterns. Where it might be true is the intermediate patterns. But that's pretty much true of every QB. Watch more than the end of day highlights on other QBs and you'll see it's SOP. The ONLY passes that regularly fit your criteria tend to be short ones that are underneath. And for that to work consistently, the QB and the receiver have to be totally in sync like Brady and Edelman. You saw how that didn't work without Edelman against the Chiefs. And TT hasn't a single WR he's familiar with. Matthews might even have had to introduce himself before kickoff.

"Drastically improved"

These are comments that have been made that show posters going overboard based off this one solid performance.

I didn't even think it was that solid of a performance honestly.

I saw a lot of the same stuff I've always seen from him that will be capitalized on by a good opponent.

I certainly didn't see Taylor unleashed in any way. Seemed like the coaches are still being handicapped in what they can call.

Has he ever audibled into a different play based on what he's seeing from the Defense? Does he even have the option?

"Drastically improved"

I thought the throw-aways were interesting. I think he would have scrambled instead last season.

And he seemed a little more inclined to throw to the middle of the field.

But it's only one game. I'd need to see more before proclaiming same-old-Tyrod or new-and-improved-Tyrod.

He's always thrown those away. imo he's always been too quick to do so instead of giving his players a chance to make a big play.

Why the "albeit against the Jets"? Their D is widely considered to be above average and that's the unit the Bills O defeated.This is nonsense. He hangs in the pocket because he's slow to make reads? Huh? And you know this how? BTW, I thought the "flaw" was he bailed out of the pocket because he couldn't make reads. Now it's he doesn't bail out because he can't make the reads. Yeow.

As to not "throwing his receivers open," that's patently not true on streak patterns. Where it might be true is the intermediate patterns. But that's pretty much true of every QB. Watch more than the end of day highlights on other QBs and you'll see it's SOP. The ONLY passes that regularly fit your criteria tend to be short ones that are underneath. And for that to work consistently, the QB and the receiver have to be totally in sync like Brady and Edelman. You saw how that didn't work without Edelman against the Chiefs. And TT hasn't a single WR he's familiar with. Matthews might even have had to introduce himself before kickoff.

I think what you're saying is nonsense.

Edited by likei've

I saw a lot of the same stuff I've always seen from him that will be capitalized on by a good opponent.

I certainly didn't see Taylor unleashed in any way. Seemed like the coaches are still being handicapped in what they can call.

Has he ever audibled into a different play based on what he's seeing from the Defense? Does he even have the option?

He's always thrown those away. imo he's always been too quick to do so instead of giving his players a chance to make a big play.

We've led the league in big plays for the past 2 years in a row, though.

Exactly right. A QB with blinders on who is unable to make adjustments at the line. A QB whom the OC has to Taylor his play calls towards. A few nice plays with his legs and a bunch of mehhh.

I am not hating on Tyrod the way Crusher or some others are, but let's be real about the "progression".

He looked VERY similar to how he's been his whole time here. Still need to convert third downs in the fourth quarter. Still left some points on the field. Overall made a lot of great decisions sprinkled in with some Phantom pocket collapses. He is what he is.

Right now, we're fourtunate to have him at QB, we've had much worse during the drought.

I think TT showed improvement in his pocket awareness. He threw the ball away on several occasions where he didn't see anything. He didn't seem to run after his first read. Hopefully, his ability to read through his progressions continues to improve to the point where he is finding an open target rather than throwing the ball away.

He could really use a deep threat that can get open in space as TT isn't the type of QB who can make completions to a covered receiver. At least not yet.

He is currently 8th in QBR, just behind Dak Prescott and Dereck Carr. He is 14th in passing yards and 10th in QB Rating. Not bad considering all his receivers are new and he had limited reps in pre-season.

All and all, not a bad start for TT.

I saw nothing of the sort. he is still the #1 problem on this offense. The few plays he makes with his legs doesn't add up to the missed throws he has down the field.

This is just pure ignorance. The #1 problem is easily RT and it's not even close. Saying Tyrod is the #1 problem is flat out wrong.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the tenor of your response regarding TT. He is what he has been and has not grown from being Tyrod 1 to Tyrod 2. There are limitations to his game regarding reading defenses and going through progressions that are starkly evident. He has little ability to make anticipatory throws that are part and parcel of going through progressions. He can hit the open receiver but he can't consistently hit the receiver in stride ahead of him making his move.

Was TT better than in prior seasons? Yes. But only incrementally better. The offense is geared toward what he can do well and not what he can't do well. That is the right approach to take. My prediction is that before the season is over Peterman will be given an opportunity to play in order to see what he can do. Peterman more so than TT has an ability to run a more rounded passing offense that uses more of the field.

Tyrod did good yesterday but IMO Peterman wouldn't have done any worse.

He is currently 8th in QBR, just behind Dak Prescott and Dereck Carr. He is 14th in passing yards and 10th in QB Rating. Not bad considering all his receivers are new and he had limited reps in pre-season.

Taylor is 10th in QB rating, but that includes Jacoby Brisset (7th), who has thrown three passes, and Sean Mannion (3rd), who has thrown one pass. But Sean completed his one pass and who can argue with perfection?

Taylor looked like the same QB he has always been, but I have no issues with his play yesterday and the INT wasn't really his fault. He was more than good enough to beat a hapless Jets team.

But something tells me his glaring flaws and deficiencies will be on full display next week in Carolina against a much better team and defense.

Something tells me your glaring bias will be on full display all season.

I think you guys need to meet in the parking lot after work to settle this.

I think you guys need to meet in the parking lot after work to settle this.

Exactly. As soon as I saw SaviorPeterman & TaylorTime duking it out, I thought this is a cage match waiting to happen.....

Edited by grb

The thing with TT is this: it's like going to a steakhouse when you really are hungry for Italian. You could have a great steak, cooked just the way you like, everything good. But it doesn't matter because what you really wanted was Italian.

TT can play good football, but no matter how he does, if your idea of a QB is the big, strong armed guy that can make throws, like a Big Ben or a Rodgers, it won't matter how a guy like TT does. You just won't like it because it's not what you want.

The thing with TT is this: it's like going to a steakhouse when you really are hungry for Italian. You could have a great steak, cooked just the way you like, everything good. But it doesn't matter because what you really wanted was Italian.

TT can play good football, but no matter how he does, if your idea of a QB is the big, strong armed guy that can make throws, like a Big Ben or a Rodgers, it won't matter how a guy like TT does. You just won't like it because it's not what you want.

Exactly right. And that is the core issue that causes most of the arguments here on this forum in regards to its current starting quarterback. A lot of guys hate eating steak around here.

I'll keep this short, Taylor showed huge improvements in his game and it was evident from the first series. Specifically in the pocket.

His footwork, poise and speed scanning the field looks to have improved drastically. A huge drop by Clay turned 7 into 0 and some very smart throwaways decreased his completion percentage but we totally dominated and controlled this game. He converted some big 3rd downs, and used his legs very effectively.

Make no mistake, this offense runs through Shady but I think we are witnessing the evolution of Tyrod Taylor. I really felt Dennison held back big time in the 4th and just sat on the lead, up 2 scores, dominant defensive performance, that's fine but I'm really excited to see Taylor grow in this scheme and get comfortable with the WR corps.

This was a true team win, well , maybe minus ST, but for the first time in quite some time the O and D both showed up, 400+ yards on O , just over 200 allowed. Taylor's stats weren't eye popping but he did what needed to be done and looked vastly improved in the pocket. I'm really excited to see us match up with Carolina, I don't see any reason we can't have the same outcome.

Tyrod 2.0 is here

He is who he is, he looked good against a really bad team which he has in the past, he will never be more than an average passer against good competition. Just my opinion though, he did a good job against the Jets though.

I don't agree with this analogy at all. I was a huge fan of Taylor's early on. Didn't want him to be like any qb in particular.

Just a better version of himself.

I'm not seeing any true growth in his game. I think we've seen his best and don't think it'll be good enough against good teams.

It wasn't a phenomenal performance, but I saw Tyrod do some nice things yesterday. There was one throw to Clay which was the definition of anticipatory. He threw the ball before Clay made his break to the area Clay would be moments later. Great completion over the middle. I saw him step up in the pocket at least once. I saw him use the middle of the field and hit receivers on target setting up for yards after the catch. Only once or twice did I scream "throw the f@#$ing football!" at the television.

I'd like for the coaches to trust him to throw the ball even when we're ahead. We go into time management mode with any lead.

So you think they didn't trust him to throw it in the 4th? Not that we had successfully ran all day and could easily kill the clock and ensure a win? Strange take, for sure.