CountDorkula

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its just a garden variety strong low.

That's quite normal in the Bering Sea during the summer-winter transition.

Surface winds are only 22 knots at Adak and Attu station, and the barometric pressure at Adak is 29.79, which is low, but not tremendously low.

That area is the airspace that contains routes from NY/Chicago to Tokyo, and last evening the more northern routes were being used because of it. Coast out points were Nome and north instead of Anchorage to avoid it, but get a bit of the tailwind from it.

By the way, you mentioned the Bermuda High, which is one of the semi-permanent weather systems on earth, This one is another, called the Aleutian Low, though it is usually further south.

Icelandic Low and Pacific High are the other two.

The naming of a storm depends on where it is. In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific its a hurricane, In the Northwest Pacific its a typhoon and in the Western Pacific and Indian Ocean its a cyclone.

All the same thing.

Thanx! I don't know how else I would have asked this and such a personal response!

:-)

Even though not Even know

This one belongs in the Pet Peeve thread

Have some compassion & vision. Don't you have an IT department to square away. We are making progress, at least you got what I meant.

Now, though, the two words sound alike. As an IT Cop, would you buy "it was AutoCorrect." Program the damn machine better. Make it a just machine.

"A just machine to make big decisions

Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision

We'll be clean when their work is done

We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young..."

Yeah... We all know I type on a message board like the God awful garbage, phonetically sounded words, slang that go through this coconut of my mind... If you want to call it a mind. But, you get the gist, nobody's perfect.

You damn IT Cops, grammar police... You bums appear like Illinois Nazis, win your court case (Pet Peeve Thread) and you march:

I hate Illinois Nazis...

Hey, I have never disappointing since 12/2002.

Have some compassion & vision. Don't you have an IT department to square away. We are making progress, at least you got what I meant.

Now, though, the two words sound alike. As an IT Cop, would you buy "it was AutoCorrect." Program the damn machine better. Make it a just machine.

"A just machine to make big decisions

Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision

We'll be clean when their work is done

We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young..."

Yeah... We all know I type on a message board like the God awful garbage, phonetically sounded words, slang that go through this coconut of my mind... If you want to call it a mind. But, you get the gist, nobody's perfect.

You damn IT Cops, grammar police... You bums appear like Illinois Nazis, win your court case (Pet Peeve Thread) and you march:

I hate Illinois Nazis...

Hey, I have never disappointing since 12/2002.

Ramble much?

Which means it may miss Cuba, which is very mountainous and would slow the storm.

Instead it's taking aim at South Florida then maybe back out to sea across for a potential second landfall further up the East Coast

Or churn to a mess smack up the barrel of the Floridian peninsula paradise and into the prison colony, Georgia and north.

Come on Florida, take the hit for the rest of the coastline, what else can be done? Bill Gates get his weather machine online?

Ramble much?

Not nearly enough!

Cold fronts move pretty quickly, are mostly surface things, and it should move on.

The cold front would block it, but not completely.

More likely is that an upper level disturbance will steer it.

Same as the comment someone made about Cuba. Cuba is mountainous, but very narrow, and this storm is massive. Cuba wouldn't do anything to it.

To diminish, it needs to have it's energy source stopped, and that means land.

Like staying up the gut of FLA?

Right where the cone is pointing. Fastball right over the plate.

Too bad we can't build mountains like they have in Taiwan to thwart typhoons.

Instead, we have a cereal bowl named Okeechobee. That's another nightmare ready to pop!

I hate flying as it is, but, going through that I'd probably be crying LOL

And José is to follow. How appropriate in North Cuba.

jose.png

1) There is no category 6 on the Safir-Simpson scale,

2) This is not the most powerful hurricane in Atlantic history. It's not even in the top-10. The most powerful in the Atlantic basin was Wilma, at <890 mb (883, I think, almost 50mb less than Irma).

3) It's forecast to weaken slightly, not intensify.

4) It's forecast to miss Miami right now. Given that the track has been slightly but steadily south and west of the forecast, it's likely to miss Miami by a decent margin.

5) For as long as you've been wallowing in idiocy as deep as this, how is it that you not died of stupidity yet?

Not as measured by pressure, idiot, as measured by wind speed.

It was actually the 2nd largest ever recorded on the planet, and only 10 MPH out of first place.

That information is now about 20 hours old, so who knows what's up now.

I'm in Palm Beach County but stopped following it every second...

It'll change a lot before it gets near us anyway.

I have a friend in Lakeland (just outside of Tampa.) Typical drama queen posting on every social media possible. This thing is 3 days out of FL. Asking the entire state to evacuate is irresponsible and moreover dangerous.

I'm in Virginia Beach and currently have the same chance of getting a direct Cat 2 hit as Miami has of getting a Cat 3+.

I have a friend in Lakeland (just outside of Tampa.) Typical drama queen posting on every social media possible. This thing is 3 days out of FL. Asking the entire state to evacuate is irresponsible and moreover dangerous.

I'm in Virginia Beach and currently have the same chance of getting a direct Cat 2 hit as Miami has of getting a Cat 3+.

Your friend must be new to inland central Florida. Those of us in the center of the state will be ok. Wind damage here and there, but no issue with storm surge.

Its a bit misleading to see that flightracker screen shot and make a judgement.

Those things, along with air traffic control radar show precip, but not in any way as accurately as airplane radar does.

So while that outer band looks kind of menacing, airplane radar, which is specifically weather radar, would have presented a completely different picture, and you can tweak the display and work your way around the heavier areas of precip and avoid most of the turbulence quite easily.

The outer band of a hurricane is not that much different that other weather that is flown through every day by picking your way carefully.

The trouble would have been if there was some sort of delay on the ground. The airplane would have been stuck.

Hi All,

Two ares updates about IRMA:

I live in PR but have been in South Florida the last few days. PR got "lucky" as the eye of the storm passed north of the island. From speaking to several friends there this morning there isn't major damage. Some branches down here and there. The bigger problem is most of the island doesn't have power. And due to the debt crisis and infrastructure problems in PR who knows when it will be fixed.

Currently, south Florida is going berserk. For the last few days, grocery stores, gas stations and traffic have been insane. I think the Harvey coverage and continual media coverage of Irma have set people into a panic. I have heard of gas stations out of gas as far as Georgia. Schools are cancelled in Broward and Dade counties today and tomorrow despite the storm not arriving until Sat night. I guess this is to allow people to evacuate and prepare. I get that coastal and southern areas should leave but the general message and feeling is "GET OUT AT ALL COSTS!" From my past storm experiences, if you live in a coastal area, or are elderly, or have a baby you should probably relocate. However outside of that, you best bet is to have all the supplies and hunker down in a well protected house.

I am trying to fly to Buffalo for the opener tomorrow morning at 7am. As of current things seem ok for me to get out, however, I am still nervous. Wish me the best!

Hi All,

Two ares updates about IRMA:

I live in PR but have been in South Florida the last few days. PR got "lucky" as the eye of the storm passed north of the island. From speaking to several friends there this morning there isn't major damage. Some branches down here and there. The bigger problem is most of the island doesn't have power. And due to the debt crisis and infrastructure problems in PR who knows when it will be fixed.

Currently, south Florida is going berserk. For the last few days, grocery stores, gas stations and traffic have been insane. I think the Harvey coverage and continual media coverage of Irma have set people into a panic. I have heard of gas stations out of gas as far as Georgia. Schools are cancelled in Broward and Dade counties today and tomorrow despite the storm not arriving until Sat night. I guess this is to allow people to evacuate and prepare. I get that coastal and southern areas should leave but the general message and feeling is "GET OUT AT ALL COSTS!" From my past storm experiences, if you live in a coastal area, or are elderly, or have a baby you should probably relocate. However outside of that, you best bet is to have all the supplies and hunker down in a well protected house.

I am trying to fly to Buffalo for the opener tomorrow morning at 7am. As of current things seem ok for me to get out, however, I am still nervous. Wish me the best!

Thanks for the update..great to hear not as much damage as feared in PR. Watching CBS this morning, they were in Farjardo, did not look too bad.

Now in terms of getting to Buffalo, start driving now, stay over in Richmond tonight, drive the rest of the way with me tomorrow!

Thanks for the update..great to hear not as much damage as feared in PR. Watching CBS this morning, they were in Farjardo, did not look too bad.

Now in terms of getting to Buffalo, start driving now, stay over in Richmond tonight, drive the rest of the way with me tomorrow!

I may have to do that but I do not have a car here. I wonder how much an Uber to Richmond would cost. Reminds me of a certain Bills player.

Its a bit misleading to see that flightracker screen shot and make a judgement.

The trouble would have been if there was some sort of delay on the ground. The airplane would have been stuck.

It's still cool to see since I've seen reports that no other airline was going in or out of there. As for any delay, I agree. I do wish there was some video or reports from people on the flight out. I could just picture the crew forgoing the safety briefing and the pilot coming across the PA and saying "sit down, strap in, and hang on"

The bigger problem is most of the island doesn't have power. And due to the debt crisis and infrastructure problems in PR who knows when it will be fixed.

The storm could be the silver lining in providing Fed reconstruction funds, which would not have come otherwise.

It's still cool to see since I've seen reports that no other airline was going in or out of there. As for any delay, I agree. I do wish there was some video or reports from people on the flight out. I could just picture the crew forgoing the safety briefing and the pilot coming across the PA and saying "sit down, strap in, and hang on"

As I said though, it shouldn't have been that bad picking through the outermost feeder band.

The potential for a very serious problem existed though, since if something would have happened on takeoff that required an immediate landing, such as an engine issue or anything that limited climb ability, they would have been in deep kimchi.

Would have had to go to an airport in the Dominican Republic. Good options, but they would had to go around the band and then add additional time with an ailing airplane.

Not a good option.

I would have never gotten on the plane. take my chances lashed (sp)to a tree and staring into the eye of the storm, ALA Lt. Dan.

"C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zipin, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow."

LoL...

"It's Puerto Rico, it's like going into Wisconsin..."

"Well, I got the schit kicked out of me in Wisconsin...!"

😁😁