Tropical Storm Irma - In Atlanta

CountDorkula

My sister evacuated S.Fla early... Already in JAX... Driving to my niece (her daughter) in Coastal N.Carolina (Pamlico River area). Niece lives in a house on stilts. I hope this goes well. I told them, take cars to high ground & have a jonboat moored to a stilt. Store a 25hp motor in the house. Still a bunch of days away if it creeps up coast. I'd be probably thinking plan B...

If the house is on stilts, it's gonna flood!

Oh well, live and learn...

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think Okeechobee will pop if it takes a Cat 4 hit directly? It's the second biggest lake in US outside of Lake Michigan... The lock and dam operators there gotta be trying to get the lake pool elevation down and dump water to both coasts!

I thought about going down there... But then there is hurricane duty... Phuck that noise! Summers got to be unruly hot also! Port Mayaca works the water the same way we do up in Chicago, has sector gated locks... Just a very small version (shipping) of the Chicago Diversion, yet 5,000 times more dicey if the levee holding Okeechobee in decides to breach... There will be mass destruction. So much has been developed in that area beyond safe capacity to handle a catastrophic levee, system failure. Almost uncontrolled development and growth.

Anyway, restoring the Everglades may soften the blow now, a bit better than when we were draining those Everglades... If this b**ch Irma goes right up the gut!

I'm here just north of Orlando, and they are telling us to prepare for 75-90mph winds with gusts up to 110mph for anywhere from 5 to 10 hours on Sunday night/Monday morning....thats not great, but I'll take that over 175mph any day.....wish me luck, and I wish luck to all of our Florida Bills fans out there.

Think Okeechobee will pop if it takes a Cat 4 hit directly? It's the second biggest lake in US outside of Lake Michigan... The lock and dam operators there gotta be trying to get the lake pool elevation down and dump water to both coasts!

What do you mean by pop?

I'm here just north of Orlando, and they are telling us to prepare for 75-90mph winds with gusts up to 110mph for anywhere from 5 to 10 hours on Sunday night/Monday morning....thats not great, but I'll take that over 175mph any day.....wish me luck, and I wish luck to all of our Florida Bills fans out there.

Is that considered a hurricane then? I remember reading once that the reason Walt Disney chose Orlando was because it had never been hit by an actual hurricane strength storm.

Why even a record-breaking hurricane can't hit Category 6

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hurricane-category-saffir-simpson-1.4275997

Irma is currently listed as a Category 5 hurricane, but some articles circulating on the internet claim it could become the first to reach Category 6. But those articles are fake.

But why is there no Category 6? "Because once you say catastrophic and there's near complete damage, why do you need a 6?" says Dennis Feltgen, a spokesperson for the National Hurricane Center.

I thought about going down there... But then there is hurricane duty... Phuck that noise! Summers got to be unruly hot also! Port Mayaca works the water the same way we do up in Chicago, has sector gated locks... Just a very small version (shipping) of the Chicago Diversion, yet 5,000 times more dicey if the levee holding Okeechobee in decides to breach... There will be mass destruction. So much has been developed in that area beyond safe capacity to handle a catastrophic levee, system failure. Almost uncontrolled development and growth.

Anyway, restoring the Everglades may soften the blow now, a bit better than when we were draining those Everglades... If this b**ch Irma goes right up the gut!

Governor of SC ordered the dam levels to be lowered significantly to account for the rain. Said that state officials have full power to step in and lower the levels, whether its a public or private dam.

um. It's like top 10 but not 2nd. Duhr

What do you mean by pop?

Florida is flat. Okeechobee is about 30 feet above sea level... Everything drains into lake and then outleted through canals to both coasts. Since the 1920s-30s the whole lake has been ringed by a Federal levee... It is a giant "cereal bowl." The reason the Feds built the levee was because there was mass destruction, loss of life during a storm. Its aging. So many more live down there now!

I gotta a buddy that transferred down there he's on hurricane duty. His lock is just like (but smaller size) my lock here... Same concept... It's a controlling works. He just texted me and said they have been emptying the lake since early in the week. Trying to get reserve capability, etc...

I looked at our LPMS (Lock Performance Monitoring System)... You could too online on the public side. They have been locking pleasure craft like crazy. St.Lucie lock normally locks a boat(s) in 30 minutes... It's been taking almost 2 hours... They are packing in recreational boats... All trying to get away from the Atlantic Coast or cross over to the Gulf... Finding a place to ride it out.

This is the Coast Guard trying to get their boats to safety, maybe protect peace, be in position after storm:

post-1877-0-50119800-1504877776_thumb.jpg

That lake levee pops from a direct hit by this b*tch, gonna be trouble.

um. It's like top 10 but not 2nd. Duhr

Second largest natural freshwater lake (the largest being Lake Michigan) contained entirely within the contiguous 48 states.

Florida is flat. Okeechobee is about 30 feet above sea level... Everything drains into lake and then outleted through canals to both coasts. Since the 1920s-30s the whole lake has been ringed by a Federal levee... It is a giant "cereal bowl." The reason the Feds built the levee was because there was mass destruction, loss of life during a storm. Its aging. So many more live down there now!

I gotta a buddy that transferred down there he's on hurricane duty. His lock is just like (but smaller size) my lock here... Same concept... It's a controlling works. He just texted me and said they have been emptying the lake since early in the week. Trying to get reserve capability, etc...

I looked at our LPMS (Lock Performance Monitoring System)... You could too online on the public side. They have been locking pleasure craft like crazy. St.Lucie lock normally locks a boat(s) in 30 minutes... It's been taking almost 2 hours... They are packing in recreational boats... All trying to get away from the Atlantic Coast or cross over to the Gulf... Finding a place to ride it out.

This is the Coast Guard trying to get their boats to safety, maybe protect peace, be in position after storm:

2017090795165229951504872285859.jpg

Second largest natural freshwater lake (the largest being Lake Michigan) contained entirely within the contiguous 48 states.

lrn2google

http://bfy.tw/Dojg

Edited by Boyst62

lrn2google

http://bfy.tw/Dojg

Learn to understand geography. Some of those lakes are also in another country. Some not natural... Etc...

Yes... I should have clarified:

"Second largest natural freshwater lake (the largest being Lake Michigan) contained entirely within the contiguous 48 states."

But that is a mouthful and I usually don't cater to pencil d*ck Millennial posers trying not to be the Snowflake that he really is.

I am not here for you to split hairs, just to be oppostional.

:-)

Can't believe it, woke up and the projection has it mostly missing Virginia. It seems unusual that a storm like this would hook to the NW, but we're praising God all the same!

Has it coming straight through ATLANTA.

We have to be prepared for tornadoes now.

Parents live in The Villages (next to Ocala). They have brought in all the outside furniture and whatnot. Food, water, beer, gas for the generator in hand. They are bunkering in there. They think that since they went through Blizzard 77 they can go through anything.

Sister lives in JAX (Ponte Vedra area). About 1/4 mile from the beach. They have taken all the measures learned from Matthew last year. Water and sandbags are all gone. BIL is using bags of mulch to act as sandbags. They have refuge available about 10 miles inland.

Just waiting for the ball to drop.

attachicon.gif2017090795165229951504872285859.jpg

This is so weird to me: Florida is flat. Okeechobee is about 30 feet above sea level... Everything drains into lake and then outleted through canals to both coasts

You would think any lake would be lower, not higher! How do things drain up? Is it man made? I would think it can't be.

Wonder how many of those Asian boas and other "transplanted" animals are going to be able to spread their boundaries because of this?

This is so weird to me: Florida is flat. Okeechobee is about 30 feet above sea level... Everything drains into lake and then outleted through canals to both coasts

You would think any lake would be lower, not higher! How do things drain up? Is it man made? I would think it can't be.

Orlando is 82' above sea level. Center lakelands flow south towards everglades.

Kissimmee is 49'

Okeechobee is exactly 25.92'

Kissimmee/Okeechobee lowland. Water from huge center of state population, agriculture flows south through the Kissimme valley.

Check out drainage basin:

130828-A-CE999-081.JPG

All that water will collect @ Okeechobee.

Flat doesnt have to mean level.

Highest point in state is only 300' and on the Mid-Florida Ridge. It all flows to Okeechobee, the middle part of state.

Wonder how many of those Asian boas and other "transplanted" animals are going to be able to spread their boundaries because of this?

Lionfish escaped aquariums after Andrew.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They call it a lake but it really isn't much more than a very large puddle. If the ground level water was not so high it would similar to Minnesota's land of lakes.

They call it a lake but it really isn't much more than a very large puddle. If the ground level water was not so high it would similar to Minnesota's land of lakes.

A rimmed cereal bowl. The levee/dike protects from lake flooding.

Yes. Sea level to 300' along the Mid-Florida ridge and the valley south to everglades is rather flat over all those square miles... Then the groove in the middle... Everglades as a "filter" to the sea. Its reall all mostly under 100'. Orlando 82' Kissimmee 49' Tampa to west is 45' at highest, no way water is going that way. The water will follow the Mid-Ridge to the south. Thay is such a huge population area too... Lots of ag, industry developed and drained. Drained to somewhere and that easy somewhete is south on to the lowlands, prairie, Okeechobee plain.

A rough dike went up in 1910. Then the Hoover dike ringed the lake, completed in 1937:

220px-Army_CoE_sign_Hoover_Dike.jpg

The outlets to both coasts via navigation canals that work hand in hand with Intercoastal Waterway.

I talked to my Buddy down there... They have been emptying the lake since early in the week.

According to CNN (only TV on at work) it has been downgraded to a CAT 3 so maybe subject needs updating?

But it's about to go over the warmest water yet, so no telling how strong it will be when it makes landfall. Hopefully it doesn't gain steam again over that 88 degree water.

Edited by Augie

Last report I heard was it was heading up the West coast of Florida and not up the gut. Stay safe everyone.

The center line of the cone literally goes about a mile or two east of my buddies house. It's actually funny to zoom way in and know the roads! He's on his way to Atlanta. Wise move!

Key West aviation forecast.

Tomorrow:

2AM wind northeast sustained 56 knots gust 70 knots (82mph).

5AM wind northeast sustained 75 gust 95 knots (107mph).

7AM wind north sustained 90 gust 120 knots (138mph).

11AM wind west 75 gust 100 knots (115mph).

It will be worse further north.

Edited by sherpa