Tropical Storm Irma - In Atlanta

CountDorkula

Hurricane Irma has been strengthened to a Cat 5 with sustained winds of 175+.

Edit - Winds now 180+ MPH

Edit 9/8/17 - Winds now 150MPH

EDIT 9/11/17- SW Atlanta getting constant wind as heavy gusts and heavy rain. Several trees down around my house now. Worst still to come between 3-6 PM.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/index.html

Something with I named Hurricanes sends bad vibes my way.

Irene

Ike

Ivan

Isabel

Isidore

Wife and I were planning a trip to Charlotte for the Panthers game from Atlanta, but are now playing it by ear.

Hopefully everyone in S Florida is preparing. Stay safe all.

Add - Barbuda is completely wiped off of the map thanks to Irma.

Still early but looks to be traveling up Florida into Georgia, possibly affecting us in Atlanta.

Edited by CountDorkula

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when is it supposed to hit? I'm supposed to go to Tampa on Wed and Thurs this week for work. Should I bail?

You'll be fine, It won't approach Florida until late Saturday as it stands now. I just hope the mofo takes a right and heads out to the middle of nowhere.

If you're seeking meteorological forecasts on this board, you've got much bigger issues.

LoL...

Phuck Florida... I would have thought about bailing when you made the reservations. Tampa in September. Heck, Bills game in JAX in September and people in the stadium were dropping like flies, hitting the deck from the God awful heat. Didn't help that they were idiots... But who am I to judge!

:-/

You'll be fine, It won't approach Florida until late Saturday as it stands now. I just hope the mofo takes a right and heads out to the middle of nowhere.

There is a Bermuda High. That doesn't budge, it could ride up the Florida pennisula and Eastern Seaboard. You should be hoping that high moves.

Highs=clockwise (northern hemisphere)

Lows=counter

Jet will be dipping... Yesterday was last warm (if you wanna call it warm) day @ 84. Rest of week and beyond... Cool... 70s & 60's only.

Staying @ a Holiday Inn Express last night, yeah... People should be on edge. Hopefully, the third world islands soften Irma up, lessen the blow.

Hi folks,

Yes, Irma looks to be bad. I live in Puerto Rico which is scheduled to get crushed tomorrow afternoon and Thursday. I came to West Palm Beach for labor day weekend and just decided to stay here rather than going back. I fly to Buffalo on Friday for the home opener so it looks like I am staying ahead of this one.

I am still pretty nervous for Puerto Rico and the other islands. They are bracing for one of the worst storms in years and are often times not nearly as prepared as the mainland. In Puerto Rico, the governor has already declared a state of emergency. Power company says power could be down for months in certain areas.

I'll keep posting the local PR updates as I hear them from my friends.

LoL...

Phuck Florida... I would have thought about bailing when you made the reservations. Tampa in September. Heck, Bills game in JAX in September and people in the stadium were dropping like flies, hitting the deck from the God awful heat. Didn't help that they were idiots... But who am I to judge!

:-/

There is a Bermuda High. That doesn't budge, it could ride up the Florida pennisula and Eastern Seaboard. You should be hoping that high moves.

Highs=clockwise (northern hemisphere)

Lows=counter

Jet will be dipping... Yesterday was last warm (if you wanna call it warm) day @ 84. Rest of week and beyond... Cool... 70s & 60's only.

Staying @ a Holiday Inn Express last night, yeah... People should be on edge. Hopefully, the third world islands soften Irma up, lessen the blow.

the track has no direct hit though in the islands, which concerns me a bit that if the eye stays over the water that it wont weaken much over the mountains. and when it makes that right turn it would still be Cat 4/5

the track has no direct hit though in the islands, which concerns me a bit that if the eye stays over the water that it wont weaken much over the mountains. and when it makes that right turn it would still be Cat 4/5

Oooh I didn't see that was just glancing in passing at map.

That big Bermuda High in the Atlantic an dip in Jet will be the driving factor.

If anything... People have been warned a ton of time in advance. No excuse for proper planning.

Idle hands is the Devil's work. And to move from the Bible to Ford ;-) "Quality is Job 1"... Hope they have an appreciation for those words down there! :-/ Yeah, I am an optimist when it comes to human geography.

I'm getting texts from friends in Sarasota (50 miles south of Tampa) looking for somewhere to head. You don't mess with Cat 4-5. I suggest they leave now...and bring thier tennis racquets. I'll have time to shop for beer and wine while they drive 7.5 hours to Atlanta. (I'm told water is hard to find already.)

Hi folks,

Yes, Irma looks to be bad. I live in Puerto Rico which is scheduled to get crushed tomorrow afternoon and Thursday. I came to West Palm Beach for labor day weekend and just decided to stay here rather than going back. I fly to Buffalo on Friday for the home opener so it looks like I am staying ahead of this one.

I am still pretty nervous for Puerto Rico and the other islands. They are bracing for one of the worst storms in years and are often times not nearly as prepared as the mainland. In Puerto Rico, the governor has already declared a state of emergency. Power company says power could be down for months in certain areas.

I'll keep posting the local PR updates as I hear them from my friends.

looking forward to this weekend! safe travels

If it hits, here comes another round of victim shaming for those who stick around and social media lynch mobs for those who aren't "helping in the right way". There will also be countless stories of normal people helping others in extraordinary ways.

Hope it swings east fast.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Hurricane Irma has been strengthened to a Cat 5 with sustained winds of 175+.

Edit - Winds now 180+ MPH

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/index.html

Something with I named Hurricanes sends bad vibes my way.

Irene

Ike

Ivan

Isabel

Isidore

Wife and I were planning a trip to Charlotte for the Panthers game from Atlanta, but are now playing it by ear.

Hopefully everyone in S Florida is preparing. Stay safe all.

Have to agree with the "I" storms. We were in Williamsburg VA in 2003 for Isabel. No major damage, but Not the most fun we've ever had. Didn't think they'd ever get the downed trees hauled off,

I'm getting texts from friends in Sarasota (50 miles south of Tampa) looking for somewhere to head. You don't mess with Cat 4-5. I suggest they leave now...and bring thier tennis racquets. I'll have time to shop for beer and wine while they drive 7.5 hours to Atlanta. (I'm told water is hard to find already.)

I am with you Augie. I am a man of action... Even if I lay up short, get too conservative. It's still a choice I made don't regret.

If I was in that position and could... I would blow that popsicle stand of an area!

Anyone know any really good weather radar/forecast websites?

They all use the same models, and its a bit too early to model this one after the Straits of Florida.

Still, if you want to see the steering currents, this one works.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-103.58,13.13,302

You can rotate the earth to desired location, and double click inside the globe to zoom.

Press the "earth" thing at the bottom left to change altitude.

Edited by sherpa

FWIW, my uncle and family lives in Port Richey and they are headed to Pennsylvania for an impromptu vacation to see everybody. Rolling out today.

Their house was destroyed by Andrew in 1992 and they lost everything (the contents of their house was spread over blocks) so they moved not only north but to the other coast of FL.

In his non-expert opinion, Irma looks like Andrew but with a lot more power. It's extremely dangerous living in the post 72-96 hours of a hurricane-wrecked area and you're very exposed and they remember it.

Have to agree with the "I" storms. We were in Williamsburg VA in 2003 for Isabel. No major damage, but Not the most fun we've ever had. Didn't think they'd ever get the downed trees hauled off,

Now you are up in Seattle... Wait and see how long it takes for the lumber to be cleared if Ranier ever blows its top in your lifetime! Lahars are a mutha-ph**ka!

Just kidding! ;-)

Hope all stay safe! Just texted my sister down in S.FLA... I am the family planner, hard to believe! ;-) She says, if evacuated from S.FLA, they (husband & dog) are going up the Coast to my niece's. Yep, that's the niece in Carolina that lives in a house on stilts along side the Pamlico River coastal estuary! Gee, maybe not the best location to evac to... But they have the stilts working for them!

I simply don't want to scare her too much... Just enough to get her into gear and moving into possible action. Start thinking and planning. She escaped the snow for a reason. That reason, nothing good becomes of it... It usually points to wanting to kick back.

They all use the same models, and its a bit too early to model this one after the Straits of Florida.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-103.58,13.13,302

You can rotate the earth to desired location, and double click inside the globe to zoom.

Thanx!!!!

And if you're stupid enough to get your weather forecasts from your mom's Facebook posts...no, Irma is not going to be a category 6 hurricane. There is no such thing.

not so fast there poindexter. Irma has wind speeds of 155 knots now, and it is getting stronger. A Category 6 on the Saffir-Simpson scale is 158 knots. This is the most powerful hurricane in Atlantic history. And it is now just hitting warm waters. Look for it to continue to intensify. Miami and the Keys are !@#$ed!

Anyone know any really good weather radar/forecast websites?

www.google.com, Sue.

FWIW, my uncle and family lives in Port Richey and they are headed to Pennsylvania for an impromptu vacation to see everybody. Rolling out today.

Their house was destroyed by Andrew in 1992 and they lost everything (the contents of their house was spread over blocks) so they moved not only north but to the other coast of FL.

In his non-expert opinion, Irma looks like Andrew but with a lot more power. It's extremely dangerous living in the post 72-96 hours of a hurricane-wrecked area and you're very exposed and they remember it.

My wife managed a bank branch in Florida during Andrew. After the storm, she went to inspect the bank, and the bank vault had been torn out of its foundation and moved a couple hundred feet.

Andrew was a hurricane-sized tornado...that went through an eyewall replacement and took a very deep breath before hitting south Florida. Irma's got a long way to go before getting that bad.

Have a friend and his wife and 2 dogs in Naples heading out now to come to my place. Family on the east coast are playing by ear, but we told them to leave Wednesday/Thursday and come up.

Add - I've seen several models that have the storm tracking into/around Atlanta.

Edited by CountDorkula

If you're seeking meteorological forecasts on this board, you've got much bigger issues.

This made me LOL in a meeting I was attending. Thanks.

I actually hope this hurricane runs right over the top of you and harms nobody else.

there is no category 6, category 5 is 157MPH+. they are discussing adding a category 6 in the wake of Patricia last year(?) but to date the classification ends with Category 5

not so fast there poindexter. Irma has wind speeds of 155 knots now, and it is getting stronger. A Category 6 on the Saffir-Simpson scale is 158 knots. This is the most powerful hurricane in Atlantic history. And it is now just hitting warm waters. Look for it to continue to intensify. Miami and the Keys are !@#$ed!

I am hoping that between the Bermuda high, the dip in the jet stream, the cold front passing through, and the greenland block- that Irma shoots right up the coast to here in CT!

there is no category 6, category 5 is 157MPH+. they are discussing adding a category 6 in the wake of Patricia last year(?) but to date the classification ends with Category 5

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/905082211443015680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fnews%2F2017-09-05%2Fhurricane-irma-strenghtens-extremely-dangerous-category-5-eastern-caribbean-lockdown

1) There is no category 6 on the Safir-Simpson scale,

2) This is not the most powerful hurricane in Atlantic history. It's not even in the top-10. The most powerful in the Atlantic basin was Wilma, at <890 mb (883, I think, almost 50mb less than Irma).

3) It's forecast to weaken slightly, not intensify.

4) It's forecast to miss Miami right now. Given that the track has been slightly but steadily south and west of the forecast, it's likely to miss Miami by a decent margin.

5) For as long as you've been wallowing in idiocy as deep as this, how is it that you not died of stupidity yet?

www.google.com, Sue.

My wife managed a bank branch in Florida during Andrew. After the storm, she went to inspect the bank, and the bank vault had been torn out of its foundation and moved a couple hundred feet.

Andrew was a hurricane-sized tornado...that went through an eyewall replacement and took a very deep breath before hitting south Florida. Irma's got a long way to go before getting that bad.

Yeah... Have you heard anything on what type of shear it could encounter. I didn't get to look at Sherpa's link. Interesting morning on board.

But... Time controls everything, especially managing huge populations out of harm's way or managing to protect them in harm's way.

"All in time, but the clock is another demon that devours our

time in Eden, in our Paradise."

You cross that Rubicon with a choice you make. Time, never too early to decide. If you can leave, come up to game early, visit North, etc... Even if Irma doesn't pan out, you made a choice about your safety and helping the management and logistics of the herd, the group... That wasn't as blessed and able to leave. No regrets, enjoy yourself. Like taking a vaccine.

Yey, everybody wants to wait... Perfectly play out their individual return. Such is the downside to the gamen. Usually, more get worse.

Sorry for going philosophical on these things... If it hurts anybody's mind, just stop reading and turn the music up somebody will pray for you.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

National Hurricane Center - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thanks

Thanks...amazing

Yeah... Have you heard anything on what type of shear it could encounter. I didn't get to look at Sherpa's link. Interesting morning on board.

But... Time controls everything, especially managing huge populations out of harm's way or managing to protect them in harm's way.

"All in time, but the clock is another demon that devours our

time in Eden, in our Paradise."

You cross that Rubicon with a choice you make. Time, never too early to decide. If you can leave, come up to game early, visit North, etc... Even if Irma doesn't pan out, you made a choice about your safety and helping the management and logistics of the herd, the group... That wasn't as blessed and able to leave. No regrets, enjoy yourself. Like taking a vaccine.

Yey, everybody wants to wait... Perfectly play out their individual return. Such is the downside to the gamen. Usually, more get worse.

Sorry for going philosophical on these things... If it hurts anybody's mind, just stop reading and turn the music up somebody will pray for you.

Shear's supposed to be light at least until it passes the Leeward Islands. Don't know about after. The cold front moving south over the continent should keep it slightly south and west of forecast, though.

Personally...I think it's going to pass just north of Cuba, across the Keys into the Gulf, and hit the Florida panhandle around this time next week.

You two, play nice!

:-)

&#33;@#&#036; that. I'm going to go to town on his ignorant ass like a Category 7 hurricane!

Regarding shear, if you go to the link I provided, and then rotate the earth to your desire, then press the "earth" thing at the bottom left to access the menu.

1. Rotate the earth to your desires.

2. Zoom as you want.

3. Select "earth" thing at the bottom and change altitudes by lowering the hectopaschal (hPa).

You can see there is very little shear until you get in the 250 hPa range, which is about 35000', and then not until the central Florida area.

Here's a link to convert hPA to feet.

http://meteorologytraining.tpub.com/14269/css/14269_75.htm

Looks like nothing to weaken it until land.