Beane & McD Press Conferences

Yes, lets compare the numbers

Watkins

G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD

37 37 276 153 2459 16.1 17

Matthews

G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD

46 36 346 225 2673 11.9 19

So Matthews has been in 9 more games, Sammy has started one extra game. Matthews has 70 more targets than Sammy, 72 more receptions, and yet only has 214 yards in additional yardage and 2 additional touchdowns. I don't have to look very hard to see that Sammy is the more efficient player. Sammy also gains 4.2 more yards per reception than Matthews. So yeah, lets look at those numbers... We just traded for a more inefficient WR that also happens to be a FA at the end of the year. Good job at those numbers.

lol you must be blind...or Sammy's manager. those stats tell me we don't need Sammy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction this morning was like the majority of Bills fans. I was like nah this can't be real.

Since then, i did whatever little research i can do on Jordan Mathews and Gaines and I can't say I'm 100% happy with the trade, but I CAN say I understand why it was done.

The press conference with Beane was very short IMO but it was to the point. He said what he had to say and that was that. McDermott was eager to get to practice and i liked that. I don't read into press conferences cuz most of them feel scripted anyway but I liked that McDermott was just eager to get off the mic and go to practice.

Acquiring Jordan Mathews wouldn't have been possible without losing Darby (I really liked Darby). So all in all we lost a WR and a CB and gained a WR and a CB.

Mathews seems legit. Can play outside amd inside. Gaines seems like a tackler and they say he fits this system pretty well so,...

It all boils down to TT and our O-line. We have decent wide receivers and I'm really liking how our 1st team defense and a few 2nd team defensive players played last night. If defense plays top 10, we have a top 5 running game again, then that only leaves the passing game as a question mark.

My buddy loves Tyrod and i lost hope in him but i still root for the guy cuz I'm a Bills fan at the end of the day.

As long as Cordy Glenn doesn't miss time, i can only hope our O-line plays better than they did last night so TT can have some time to go through his progressions.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

And 2 number ones for an oft-injured WR who's now been shipped out of town.

Let's keep it honest here.

ONE ! ONE NUMBER ONE !!!!! Drives me nuts when people recite that. 2015 first rounder to switch position in the 2014 first round. Thus they traded ONE....ONE first rounder.

Jerry Hughes for Sheppard

McCoy for Kiko

Sammy for EJ Gaines

This new regime is such a refreshing change! I hate talented players!

THIS^^^^^^

Exactly Biscuit...Whaley traded scrubs for talent...we just traded elite talent for a scrub and a 2nd round pick.

ONE ! ONE NUMBER ONE !!!!! Drives me nuts when people recite that. 2015 first rounder to switch position in the 2014 first round. Thus they traded ONE....ONE first rounder.

OMG I hate that too man...most idiotic thing ever to exist on this board is the utterly stupid comment that we somehow spent this mythical number on Sammy. It was one extra pick. We were using a first round pick on someone, it cost us just one more pick (we recouped the 4th in another trade) to get Sammy.

And now we just traded him for a fringe player and a 2nd rounder. Funny, same people over valuing the 2nd are a lot of the same people who want to cut our recent 2nd rounder (Rags) before he has taken an NFL snap ever...

Observations.

1) There was not a good story told by Beane. He said a lot of nice things, thanking departing players.

2) There is no PLAN. He said he was NOT planning to trade these guys, but that offers came. Which means there is NO VISION. Just taking opportunities as they come.

3) Did NOT explain why he valued Matthews as being = to Watkins. There was no intellectualization. Just says "a lot of things went into consideration" but did NOT elaborate them. It is as if "oh you won't understand, that's why I'm not giving you ALL the reasons".

All of which leads me to

4) Communication problem with the media, and with the fans. This was the problem with the old GM. He wasn't a good communicator. This guy seems to have THE SAME PROBLEM. So much for culture change.

Observations.

1) There was not a good story told by Beane. He said a lot of nice things, thanking departing players.

2) There is no PLAN. He said he was NOT planning to trade these guys, but that offers came. Which means there is NO VISION. Just taking opportunities as they come.

3) Did NOT explain why he valued Matthews as being = to Watkins. There was no intellectualization. Just says "a lot of things went into consideration" but did NOT elaborate them. It is as if "oh you won't understand, that's why I'm not giving you ALL the reasons".

All of which leads me to

4) Communication problem with the media, and with the fans. This was the problem with the old GM. He wasn't a good communicator. This guy seems to have THE SAME PROBLEM. So much for culture change.

Were you expecting him to explain in detail the process of making these trades? This is the way NFL media works. You give nothing and say generic things. Clearly, BB felt that the extra picks was worth more than a debatable drop off in talent than the players involved in the trades.

Were you expecting him to explain in detail the process of making these trades? This is the way NFL media works. You give nothing and say generic things. Clearly, BB felt that the extra picks was worth more than a debatable drop off in talent than the players involved in the trades.

The debate may be Darby vs. Gaines, but with respect to Watkins vs. Matthews there is none.

The debate may be Darby vs. Gaines, but with respect to Watkins vs. Matthews there is none.

I understand. Watkins is without question the better player but what kind of numbers could he have reasonably put up in this offense with our QB compared to Matthews? How does that equate to our success this year?

Umm...

Sammy joins team, TWO Bills first round picks gone.

How's that only one?

:wallbash:

I understand. Watkins is without question the better player but what kind of numbers could he have reasonably put up in this offense with our QB compared to Matthews? How does that equate to our success this year?

I believe he would have his best year to date in this offense with him finally being healthy. Matthews on the outside is a downgrade.

Even there - you can debate. Gaines wasn't going to be their starter this year. He's struggled often. We got a backup for a starter. Darby had an off year last year and everyone knows what his ceiling is. More than a few will say he's better than Gilmore. Nobody's going to say that about Gaines.

I was expecting him to communicate well with the fans and media. Read what I wrote.

And now it's 2 as he is no longer here. We traded away TWO 1st rd picks and a 4th for a gimp CB and a 2nd rd pick.

Great job OBD, keep up the good work/

So what's the over/under on the McBeane era? I will go 2 maybe 3 years max.

Edited by Real McCoy

Let's say you're a farmer. You have a cow you know is sick and probably never going to produce milk like she used to. You can't afford to replace her, but you realize she's got maybe one year of udder function left before you have to put her down. Then, to your surprise, your neighbor brings you a steer you can slaughter, a bag of money, and takes your cow off your hands. it wasn't what you expected, but now you're in shape to buy two more cows. and, since growing your herd is your goal wouldn't you take that deal?

Except our cow was made of gold, and we got back a six pack and a bag of Cheetos.

And now it's 2 as he is no longer here. We traded away TWO 1st rd picks and a 4th for a gimp CB and a 2nd rd pick.

Great job OBD, keep up the good work/

So what's the over/under on the McBeane era? I will go 2 maybe 3 years max.

It makes me sick seeing what we got in exchange for a true game changer who still hasn't even entered his prime.

This would be a fireable offense if we didn't just hire this guy. In two to three years if Watkins is lighting things up and this team isn't in the playofffs...see ya around, buddy boy!

Why don't people get this?

Thats because this fam base have become so used to losing they hate when talent arrives. They was happy to see Marshawn go. They was happy to see Stevie Johnson go. They was happy to see Schobel go. They was happy to see Jason Peters go. And now theyre estatic to see Watkins go. To further prove how accustomed this fan base is to losing. They was happy Rex was hired and felt it was to soon for him to go. They was happy to see Losman here and lost their minds when he was let go. Some even predicted he would lead another team to the super bowl. Lol. They felt EJ Manuel got a raw deal. Really? See the pattern?

Or you could look at it like this -

We traded #8 + 2015 1st + 4th round picks for Sammy. So, 3 picks for 1 pick.

Any way you spin it, we gave up 2 1st round picks and a 4th round pick for Sammy. 3 players for 1 player.

Thats because this fam base have become so used to losing they hate when talent arrives. They was happy to see Marshawn go. They was happy to see Stevie Johnson go. They was happy to see Schobel go. They was happy to see Jason Peters go. And now theyre estatic to see Watkins go. To further prove how accustomed this fan base is to losing. They was happy Rex was hired and felt it was to soon for him to go. They was happy to see Losman here and lost their minds when he was let go. Some even predicted he would lead another team to the super bowl. Lol. They felt EJ Manuel got a raw deal. Really? See the pattern?

Most of what you wrote is completely false.

Yeah does anyone really think Jared Goff is going to revive Sammy's career?

Robert Woods who I liked got a 5 year $34MM contract with $15MM guaranteed ... what do you think Sammy would of brought on the open market ... smaller market Bills would of never of paid that ... history shows this ... we get cheaper players in the draft ... I'd rather gather the picks than have a 1 year Lame Duck the leave us hanging come free agency .. he was gone ...you've seen his quotes from the past about Bills Fans ... he was fragile and he was gone after this year .. we got back something ... BRAVO Mr. Beane!!!!

small market is a poor excuse...NFL has revenue sharing and we have one of the wealthiest owners in the league....and it's would have, not would of

There really is no argument.

These new guys are morons.

Oh really? And YOU are the arbiter of this "fact?"

:lol:

That's retarded.

Both of these guys at some point wILL have to realize that there are actually some smart fans and supporters of this team and this is not Carolina. They will not always be able to spin and pull the wool over the fanbases eyes. Right now they're working from a pretty clean slate AND free pass but

In a year or 2 they will not be able to get away with it.

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost

Both of these guys at some point wILL have to realize that there are actually some smart fans and supporters of this team and that they will not always be able to spin and pull the wool over the fanbases is eyes. Right now they're working from a pretty clean slate but New Year 2 they will not be able to get away with it.

And then what? Simpsons Pitchforks gif? They are doing their little jobs, whether we like everything they do or not.

There are "smart" fans who like the move, too and don't feel like you do. Everyone's different.

How is it different? Whaley made all kinds of trades.

Whaley made trades that gave away draft picks. Beane is making trades that is collecting draft picks. Two different approaches...wouldn't you agree?

I think the front-office looks at the difference in production between Mathews vs Watkins and Darby vs Giles and have determined that the difference is not that big but getting those draft picks is a lot more important and pulled the trigger.

They could soon unload Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn and Hughes if they don't produce this season. I simply don't see Eric Wood getting his final contract with the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills might have moved on from Sammy Watkins too soon, but I think that they (Beane and McD) have a concept of a football team structure that in no way involves a future high priced, injury prone WR at the top of the teams payroll. It makes no sense to the team. As far as being a fan goes this trade sucks. It takes the big play hope that we as fans enjoy watching. The trade effects the team on the field by allowing the defense to move up closer to the line of scrimmage making Lesean's job much more difficult. My other concern is how it effects the team as far as the quality and quantity of the roster. We keep trading up in the draft for players that end up leaving for little or nowhere near the return we gave up for them. This dates back to the Rob Johnson qb trade with Jacskonville, Bledsoe deal, Jp Losman deal and so on. It effects the team so much by having to rely on late rd picks and free agent signings to replace the 1st and 2nd rd picks we give up to move up in the draft or trade for the player. I cannot believe that we could not get a first round pick back for Sammy. It is no doubt damn frustrating being a Buffalo Bills football fan most of the time...

The 8 games Watkins missed last year Mccoy had 600+ yds and 7 touchdowns and he didn't even play one of those games.

And then what? Simpsons Pitchforks gif? They are doing their little jobs, whether we like everything they do or not.

There are "smart" fans who like the move, too and don't feel like you do. Everyone's different.

There are smart fans who like the moves.

There are not smart fans who believe Beane's crap about making us better now. Those are dumb fans.

Yeah the crowning move will be putting Yates at QB.

this is my MAJOR beef with the trade. I dont care about Matthews or Sammy. Hell, I dont even care about Darby or Gaines, what I care about is if you build through the draft stockpile your picks. I would have wanted a 2nd and 3 or 4 for watkins not Gaines. why not eat Dareus contract this year too. start fresh. You resigned Tyrod because he gives the best chance now but do we want the best chance with these moves? What are we looking to do. Win now or retool for 18?

this is my MAJOR beef with the trade. I dont care about Matthews or Sammy. Hell, I dont even care about Darby or Gaines, what I care about is if you build through the draft stockpile your picks. I would have wanted a 2nd and 3 or 4 for watkins not Gaines. why not eat Dareus contract this year too. start fresh. You resigned Tyrod because he gives the best chance now but do we want the best chance with these moves? What are we looking to do. Win now or retool for 18?

maybe the rams didn't wanna give up any more picks

With all the dust settled, we basically have lost a bit at WR with Matthews instead of Sammy. Lost nothing on D and got a couple extra picks. This will not affect the run game at all. TT will still have to step his game up. And the D should be better if for no other reason than players won't be panicking over where they should be right before the snap.

I didn'nt like the Sammy trade but the hysteria is a bit ridiculous now.

This is a great point. If you going to trade Sammy, why not create a bidding war? Every team in the NFL would be interested. You could have beat this deal.

I will say props to McBeane. This is the fastest my enthusiasm has been killed for a Bills season!

Dang you biscuit i was buzz killed but now that you mention a bidding war... im mad again!!!!

Both of these guys at some point will have to realize that there are actually some smart fans and supporters of this team and this is not Carolina. They will not always be able to spin and pull the wool over the fanbases eyes. Right now they're working from a pretty clean slate AND free pass but

In a year or 2 they will not be able to get away with it.

If they prove to be successful, they will.

At this point and time I agree with you. I would actually much rather see Peterman start the entire season this year.

1 of 2 things would happen this way:

1. Peterman sucks and we have a crap record setting us up for pick inside 5

2. Peterman excels and shows signs to be a franchise QB. Build around him in the next draft.

Starting Tyrod is a straight up waste of everyone's time this year when we all know what is coming anyways.

Edited by Real McCoy

We are going to beat the Jets and the Dolphins twice. That's 4 wins right there. The people who think we won't get 4 more are silly. I'm thinking 7-9 or 9-7 depending on the swing of a couple games in the last minutes.

and here sir is my grievance

maybe the rams didn't wanna give up any more picks

true but were the rams the ONLY team who inquired? I bet you there was potential bidding war. We weren't shopping him but there were offers and I wonder how that was the best choice

At this point and time I agree with you. I would actually much rather see Peterman start the entire season this year.

1 of 2 things would happen this way:

1. Peterman sucks and we have a crap record setting us up for pick inside 5

2. Peterman excels and shows signs to be a franchise QB. Build around him in the next draft.

Starting Tyrod is a straight up waste of everyone's time this year when we all know what is coming anyways.

I kind of agree ... give Tyrod till the bye week .. if we're doing good .. keep rolling .. if under 500 ... throw in Nate for the rest of the season

true but were the rams the ONLY team who inquired? I bet you there was potential bidding war. We weren't shopping him but there were offers and I wonder how that was the best choice

there could have been...I remember Beane saying that they waited until they were able to determine whose offer was serious and whose was just bait...in the recent week Beane stated that both the Rams and Eagles made it clear they were serious- leaving me to believe the other teams were not...and because Beane comes across like a smart dude, I have to believe if there was a better offer he would have taken it...it's just common sense.