Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

They don't plan to be active in FA though (their words not mine). The money needs to go somewhere. If you have 30 guys on rookie deals (or whatever it will be) you will need to spend a lot elsewhere (especially if you aren't paying a QB).

I'm just not ready to blindly follow these guys. They haven't accomplished anything yet. I've loved some things (the way they worked the draft) and hated others (the way that they bungled this). "A plan" and "a good plan" aren't necessarily the same. We will see how it plays out.

Agreed

@andrewsiciliano

Sammy Watkins is in the building: Just a total shock. But Im definitely excited and honored to be here."

How do you fit, Sammy?

I havent figured that out. I dont even know the plays yet."

Sammy Watkins: Im 100 percent healthy. That foot thing is out the door."

Watkins, asked about contract: If I play like I should, Ill get what I deserve."

Sean Mannion has #14. Sammy Watkins says he doesnt yet know what jersey hell wear.

@andrewsiciliano

Sammy Watkins is in the building: Just a total shock. But Im definitely excited and honored to be here."

How do you fit, Sammy?

I havent figured that out. I dont even know the plays yet."

Sammy Watkins: Im 100 percent healthy. That foot thing is out the door."

Watkins, asked about contract: If I play like I should, Ill get what I deserve."

Sean Mannion has #14. Sammy Watkins says he doesnt yet know what jersey hell wear.

A sad day for the Bills. If you play like you should , you'll get what you deserve ... just not from the Bills front office. They'll burn a 2nd on some random scrub that we will lament for years.

Useless information.

How so? Injury plagued his whole life, why believe it will different this year? Time will tell....Fragile then, fragile now, fragile going forward.

The real tragedy was spending two 1sts and a 4th for this guy when so many other more talented and less injury prone WRs were selected after him. Whaley really set us back and I am hoping Beane takes us forward!

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

How so? Injury plagued his whole life, why believe it will different this year? Time will tell....Fragile then, fragile now, fragile going forward.

The real tragedy was spending two 1sts and a 4th for this guy when so many other more talented and less injury prone WRs were selected after him. Whaley really set us back and I am hoping Beane takes us forward!

Injury plagued his whole life. Okay! It hasn't been updated since January and they reported the 2nd surgery for the Jones fracture as a negative when it usually is the one that ultimately heals the injury. Like I said....Useless information.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Except Watkins wasn't injured in College!

Wait, are you serious? The point is simple: more targets for your best player. Not EVERY target. But MORE targets. Why try to argue and confuse something so simple?

Sammy Watkins for the millionth time didnt use thise simple words had he, I wouldn't have stated how extremely selfish, short sighted, and immature what he stated was. Hope that clears it up for you. If Sammy had stated I want more targets vice, i dont care if hes opened and im covered throw it to me JUST TARGET ME. Thats what he stated. Edited by Bill_with_it

Sammy Watkins for the millionth time didnt use thise simple words had he, I wouldn't have stated how extremely selfish, short sighted, and immature what he stated was. Hope that clears it up for you. If Sammy had stated I want more targets vice, i dont care if hes opened and im covered throw it to me JUST TARGET ME. Thats what he stated.

Clearly not familiar with " jock speak" . Gotta read between the lines . It's football, not miss manners column.

Dude has been erratic the whole way through, there's a reason I ducked out from the debate with him and focused on others

There is no erratic. You have trouble mixing what you think Sammy thought with his clear unparaed words. Along with quite a few staunch Sammy supporters. He stated it I didnt. It was very clear what he stated. It isnt anything close remotely to what you and others are mischaracterizing it as. You nor those others are mind readers. Words have meanings. Especially when using absolutes such as "I dont care if hes open if im one on one JUST TARGET ME. " That isnt hey 3 out of 5 times when im one on one target me so i can get obj targets. Thats not what he stated. He clearly stated theow me the ball regardless of other offensive skill players being open.

He must like attention. Bless his little heart..... :)

Is this a shortsighted sammy like immature post??? Troll job??

OMg, this is quite possibly the strangest conversation that I've ever gotten into here. You are the first person that I've heard of satisfied with his targets. If you agree that he wasn't targeted enough than he was right when he spoke up. He needed the ball more. Just for fun here you go:

Watkins has been targeted 7.46 times per game in his career. He averages 8.91 yards per target.

Mike Evans was targeted 10.81 times per game last year. He averaged 7.64 yards per target.

If Watkins received the same amount of targets as Evans he'd would have averaged an additional 29.8 yards per game or another 478 yards per season. At the same 173 targets Watkins season numbers (based on career averages) would be 1,541 yards. Don't throw him the ball more though...

Like OMG hahaha

Please just calm down and show me where I said I was satisified with his targets.

Ill wait.

Himt I never did.

What I did say is that he shouldnt be the first and only read regardless of others being wide open.

That has been my statement for the entirety of the discussion. You clearly have a hard time understanding that.

I have stated that numerous times.

Injury plagued his whole life. Okay! It hasn't been updated since January and they reported the 2nd surgery for the Jones fracture as a negative when it usually is the one that ultimately heals the injury. Like I said....Useless information.

How exactly is such an incredibly detailed injury history, for any player, useless information? And what exactly would they have "updated" since January? Is there another injury we don't know about?

There is no erratic. You have trouble mixing what you think Sammy thought with his clear unparaed words. Along with quite a few staunch Sammy supporters. He stated it I didnt. It was very clear what he stated. It isnt anything close remotely to what you and others are mischaracterizing it as. You nor those others are mind readers. Words have meanings. Especially when using absolutes such as "I dont care if hes open if im one on one JUST TARGET ME. " That isnt hey 3 out of 5 times when im one on one target me so i can get obj targets. Thats not what he stated. He clearly stated theow me the ball regardless of other offensive skill players being open.

If presented with one on one coverage ( as Sammy STATED) a good QB would likely throw it to him. Even if the underneath guy was open for a 6 yard gain. Not sure what is inflammatory here. Yes, these guys are 20 year olds and don't think too much about "playing nice" or grammar. Edited by Boatdrinks

How exactly is such an incredibly detailed injury history, for any player, useless information? And what exactly would they have "updated" since January? Is there another injury we don't know about?

It's not useless information. Thanks for the link

How about the fact that it's August and he's been a full go in camp. I read the info on Julio Jones and they have him as low risk even with his lengthy injury history. Seemed pretty subjective to me and IMO "useless".

How about the fact that it's August and he's been a full go in camp. I read the info on Julio Jones and they have him as low risk even with his lengthy injury history. Seemed pretty subjective to me and IMO "useless".

Yep. The only thing that matters is if SW is healed now. He seems to be ok now. The past is largely irrelevant as he had a couple minor injuries and missed very little time.

Watkins wants to 'be that home-run guy' in L.A.

Sammy Watkins joins former Bills teammate Robert Woods in Los Angeles, where, he said Saturday, he feels comfortable being the vertical threat the Rams have lacked in recent years.

Sammy Watkins Pre-Game Press Conference (5:10)

New Rams WR Sammy Watkins meets with the media at the Coliseum upon arriving in Los Angeles.

How Will Sammy Watkins help Jared Goff? (2:35)

NFL Network's Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis and Heath Evans discuss how Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff will improve as a player because of wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

Like OMG hahaha

Please just calm down and show me where I said I was satisified with his targets.

Ill wait.

Himt I never did.

What I did say is that he shouldnt be the first and only read regardless of others being wide open.

That has been my statement for the entirety of the discussion. You clearly have a hard time understanding that.

I have stated that numerous times.

If you aren't satisfied about his targets than why are you upset that he wanted more?!?!? That is so backwards. Every receiver asks for the ball. Watkins said, "I need 10 targets -- and I'll be fine with however many yards I get." That is a direct quote. We all agree that he is right. That's what good receivers get. He has been elite when thrown the ball. I don't even know what your issue is with that? This isn't about participation trophies. You don't need to throw the ball to everyone so that their mom's don't get mad. Give the ball to your best players!! That isn't complicated. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bills would have gotten a comp 3rd if Sammy would have left via FA. This makes no !@#$ing sense. Now, no ER and a mid-2d? The people approving this BS are acting like Heaven's Gate folks. I may just stop being a Bills' fan, for a few years, over this stupidity.

I think everyone is arguing that this is probably not the case in both respects.

I don't see how Sammy's hypothetical contract doesn't allow us to sign Cousins. I don't see how having 3 1sts, 2 seconds, and 3 3rds in the next two years would need another second to trade up to get a QB.

Spotrac shows the Bills with an estimated $26M in cap space for 2018 -

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

Sammy just recently said that NFL players don't get paid enough and he think that him and his fellow 2014 receiver class will change all that. That doesn't sound like someone that's going to sign a deal with a reasonable cap hit. That sounds like a guy looking to set a new record high for WR pay to me.

So, let's assume that we tag him then. What the franchise tag for WR looking like in 2018? Roughly $17M or so?

So that leaves $9M in cap space, with more than just the QB position to fill out, roster wise. I don't see how they'd even have a chance at signing Cousins (but to be clear, I don't think they will try and break the bank to sing him anyway), let alone fill,out the rest of the roster.

Bills would have gotten a comp 3rd if Sammy would have left via FA. This makes no !@#$ing sense. Now, no ER and a mid-2d? The people approving this BS are acting like Heaven's Gate folks. I may just stop being a Bills' fan, for a few years, over this stupidity.

That's assuming that they add no other free agents to try and help the team. You only get a comp pick for Sammy if you lose more players to FA than you sign.

So you'd possibly have to fore-go trying to improve the team in order to ensure you get that 3rd round comp pick.

And a 3rd round comp pick comes after the 3rd round is over, so it's really more/less a 4th rounder. The 2nd we got for Sammy could be in the top 5 of the 2nd round. I'm not saying that Sammy wasn't worth more than that, because I think he was. But getting what could be a high 2nd is a lot better compensation that a comp 3rd (aka a 4th) if they didn't have intentions of re-signing Sammy.

The Bills did not get marginally worse in 2017 by ditching Sammy Watkins. They got a lot worse. Throwing in the towel worse. Should the Sabres trade Eichel for a crappy defenseman and a second round pick? I mean they'd only be marginally worse because they went out and got Pomainville. That proves they aren't throwing in the towel.

Good Lord.

This is absolutely, positively absurd.

What a poor, poor comparison.

Sammy just recently said that NFL players don't get paid enough and he think that him and his fellow 2014 receiver class will change all that. That doesn't sound like someone that's going to sign a deal with a reasonable cap hit. That sounds like a guy looking to set a new record high for WR pay to me.

So, let's assume that we tag him then. What the franchise tag for WR looking like in 2018? Roughly $17M or so?

So that leaves $9M in cap space, with more than just the QB position to fill out, roster wise. I don't see how they'd even have a chance at signing Cousins (but to be clear, I don't think they will try and break the bank to sing him anyway), let alone fill,out the rest of the roster.

That's assuming that they add no other free agents to try and help the team. You only get a comp pick for Sammy if you lose more players to FA than you sign.

So you'd possibly have to fore-go trying to improve the team in order to ensure you get that 3rd round comp pick.

And a 3rd round comp pick comes after the 3rd round is over, so it's really more/less a 4th rounder. The 2nd we got for Sammy could be in the top 5 of the 2nd round. I'm not saying that Sammy wasn't worth more than that, because I think he was. But getting what could be a high 2nd is a lot better compensation that a comp 3rd (aka a 4th) if they didn't have intentions of re-signing Sammy.

This is just absolutely baseless :lol: .

A comp third is before every single 4th pick. Spin zone on spin zone.

Edited by jmc12290

That is just mental masterbation to try and justify this malarkey... They lose a #1 WR in exchange for moving up a round and year. Oh, they also got a worthless CB, too.

Rams fans are all happy, for a reason. Whereas, about half of Bills fans have lied themselves into thinking it was a good move for Buffalo. Unless there is something nobody else knows, this was a tragically horrible move.

Congrats, you gave up a year of Sammy in order to move up a round and year in the draft.

That is just mental masterbation to try and justify this malarkey... They lose a #1 WR in exchange for moving up a round and year. Oh, they also got a worthless CB, too.

Rams fans are all happy, for a reason. Whereas, about half of Bills fans have lied themselves into thinking it was a good move for Buffalo. Unless there is something nobody else knows, this was a tragically horrible move.

Congrats, you gave up a year of Sammy in order to move up a round and year in the draft.

Yep. If it was a first I'd maybe understand it, but still hate it. 3 firsts would get you any draft spot you wanted most likely . But a 2nd. Ugh just awful stuff

Amazing how many fans twist and turn in attempt to convince themselves that the latest WTF moment is actually a good thing for the team. I'm as critical of Watkins as anyone else had ever been but only a fool believes this was OBD being held hostage by a player with low "signability". This is the NFL the owners and GMs have all the leverage, throw around a few extra guaranteed dollars and players start singing tunes of praise.

It's a slap in the face to fans. "Run deep" "All in"... the next slogan should be a little more direct..."you're drunk and stupid just get in here and buy some hot dogs"

Eagles players reactions to losin Matthews -

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/8/11/16135262/carson-wentz-eagles-players-react-jordan-matthews-traded-bills-buffalo-philadelphia-news-twitter

They all seem to have a common theme. Here's a couple of my favs -

"I've known my dawg J Matt for a little over a year. From day 1 he was genuine & a true friend. I've known people my entire life who haven't challenged me to be a Man of God, & push myself as an athlete, as he has in a year of time. You've helped me prioritize what's important in life! Stay BLESSED family & be GREAT in Buffalo!!✊ #BigDogOutTheGate"

Torrey Smith -

I've only been around @jmattjmattjmatt for a few months but he is easily one of my favorite teammates ever. Good luck bro! God has you!

And Wentz -

Crazy part of this business. @jmattjmattjmatt you'll always be my boy both on & off the field. Couldn't ask for a better teammate & frien

Amazing how many fans twist and turn in attempt to convince themselves that the latest WTF moment is actually a good thing for the team. I'm as critical of Watkins as anyone else had ever been but only a fool believes this was OBD being held hostage by a player with low "signability". This is the NFL the owners and GMs have all the leverage, throw around a few extra guaranteed dollars and players start singing tunes of praise.

It's a slap in the face to fans. "Run deep" "All in"... the next slogan should be a little more direct..."you're drunk and stupid just get in here and buy some hot dogs"

In my experience that slogan would aptly describe many in attendance at Bills games.

John, I understand that the above could confuse you. I will try to explain:

In the 2017 draft, I failed to see much difference wrt the way the new coach went about things. They walked away from a QB and traded down. To draft who? That's right, another first round defensive back. They DID draft a blocker although they had to trade up to do so, but that can work. It did with Levitre. Why should I (or even you) believe that they will not waste most of these picks that they now possess? Six picks in the first 3 rounds? Great! Will they use 4 on running backs and defensive backs John? Is this what you want?

Now, they traded away a decent corner and traded for a perhaps weak one. This leaves the door wide open for more wasted picks. I don't want to hear any more that players like Spiller, McKelvin, and Whitner were "good." We lost football games because we wasted our resources on these people. And if Gilmore was SO good, why didn't we keep him?

In short, I don't trust the new administration yet. I believe they are better than Rex/Whaley but only because they couldn't possibly be worse. How about we make the playoffs before we throw roses at these guys?

Bill ... you've been here a while and obviously are respected ... but do you really think give history .. 1 .. Sammy plays a full season .. 2 .. he resigns ... given past performance and his own commentary and also the Bills history of not overspending (i.e Jarius Byrd (which turned out a good choice, Levitre, Gilmore) ... bottom line .. we're a small market team ... we need to be like Green bay and build via the draft .. the past captains yes have sucked since the Marv Levy years ... but at least Pegula doesn't stand pat .. he moves on and tries a different route .. without faiure there is no success ... Lord knows we've failed a lot .. I'll take the future draft capital .. vs. what we got for Gilmore's departure .. i.e .. NADA

Now that's funny ... we do have a tradition of good tailgates ... and supporting the Bills .. so the slogan could work

Eagles players reactions to losin Matthews -

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/8/11/16135262/carson-wentz-eagles-players-react-jordan-matthews-traded-bills-buffalo-philadelphia-news-twitter

They all seem to have a common theme. Here's a couple of my favs -

"I've known my dawg J Matt for a little over a year. From day 1 he was genuine & a true friend. I've known people my entire life who haven't challenged me to be a Man of God, & push myself as an athlete, as he has in a year of time. You've helped me prioritize what's important in life! Stay BLESSED family & be GREAT in Buffalo!!✊ #BigDogOutTheGate"

Torrey Smith -

I've only been around @jmattjmattjmatt for a few months but he is easily one of my favorite teammates ever. Good luck bro! God has you!

And Wentz -

Crazy part of this business. @jmattjmattjmatt you'll always be my boy both on & off the field. Couldn't ask for a better teammate & frien

That sounds so much like what the Bills players said about Sammy.

wow only 72 pages? That's all you got that we lost a generational talent like Watkins while you guys cried for 200 pages on a slow 30 catch a season Hogan? like WHAT'S WITH THAT?!!!

Im assuming cause NE had to do with it