Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

Etta James has more talent, and more soul then the sum of the corporate pop they put out.  And she don't need no autotune.  

Same with Janis Joplin- the greatest female blues singer IMO

This Etta performance (and every other recording) is incredible!

• Like (+1) 1

For about two years I started my workday with this.   Played it as loud as my laptop could without distortion and as many as five times in a row.  Can't make up my mind what I like better, the drums or the little tweak on the guitar chords.  Just a great song.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

For about two years I started my workday with this.   Played it as loud as my laptop could without distortion and as many as five times in a row.  Can't make up my mind what I like better, the drums or the little tweak on the guitar chords.  Just a great song.

I prefer the slowed-down original version, and really like the Cowboy's Junkies' version best (probably because I heard it first but I'm not sure).

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I prefer the slowed-down original version, and really like the Cowboy's Junkies' version best (probably because I heard it first but I'm not sure).

When you become familiar with the first version you hear, it is tough to commit to a later version.  I was aware of the original Velvet Underground version and it was too slow to make that " I just have to keep playing it" list.   However when I heard the Mott the Hoople version, I loved it, and it was the standard for me since the 70's.   Then I caught this version and it is a toss up on whether I like the version I posted or the Mott the Hoople version better.  So now I just play both.  However, if number of plays picks the winner, this VU version wins.

4 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

With the Moody Blues finally going into the HOF, I am listening to some of their old, more obscure and wonderful music.

The Core 7 albums have always been the greatest to fans... welcome aboard, not the same as in the height of the flower child movement though....

15 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Core 7 albums have always been the greatest to fans... welcome aboard, not the same as in the height of the flower child movement though....

I have been a fan of the Moodies since I first heard Tuesday Afternoon on the car radio after working a night shift at Bethlehem Steel.  The term Core 7 is new to me, however. I recently tracked down a very old friend from Buffalo through Facebook and his first response was saying he had always wondered what happened to his old Moody Blues fan friend.

Thanks Bill, Core 7 are the albums from DoFP to Seventh Sojourn, based on lineup and what could be argued is the best they gave us. It cuts out good work before and after the 7 though.

great to find another fan of the group, hope we get more concerts to attend as they keep it going

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Michael Brown.

Yes.   He wrote both songs and played keyboard on both.   He was the main force behind The Left Bank.  That Left Bank album is one of my top 10 albums.  The music is very distinctive.  It was supposed to be Baroque rock.

Did you know that or look it up?  

On 2/15/2018 at 2:12 AM, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I have been a fan of the Moodies since I first heard Tuesday Afternoon on the car radio after working a night shift at Bethlehem Steel.  The term Core 7 is new to me, however. I recently tracked down a very old friend from Buffalo through Facebook and his first response was saying he had always wondered what happened to his old Moody Blues fan friend.

I have a slightly similar story.   I heard Tuesday Afternoon in what I believe was the end of January of 1968.  I was listening to CHUM at the time.  It was one of those songs that when you heard it the first time, you just had to here it again.  Not many songs you like instantly.

There used to be a band in southern Ontario called  Major Hooples Boarding House that did a great version of Tuesday Afternoon and SeeSaw.  The SeeSaw version was almost identical to the Moodies.

Also if you liked the MB's you may have missed this great song, from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds."   It is by Justin Haywood.   The Jeff Wayne album is worth a listen and Forever Autumn fits it perfectly.

Edited by Greybeard

16 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Yes.   He wrote both songs and played keyboard on both.   He was the main force behind The Left Bank.  That Left Bank album is one of my top 10 albums.  The music is very distinctive.  It was supposed to be Baroque rock.

Did you know that or look it up?  

A member of each band looked similar so I figured that was it and looked them up.  But actually "Brother Louie" wasn't written by Michael Brown, but Errol Brown from "Hot Chocolate" and Stories did a cover of it.

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

A member of each band looked similar so I figured that was it and looked them up.  But actually "Brother Louie" wasn't written by Michael Brown, but Errol Brown from "Hot Chocolate" and Stories did a cover of it.

Thanks for correcting me.   I have thought Michael Brown was the writer for years.  It was odd in the video's of both bands they hardly showed him.   All to often the vids are too centered on the lead singer.  Even some video's with a great guitar part.

13 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for correcting me.   I have thought Michael Brown was the writer for years.  It was odd in the video's of both bands they hardly showed him.   All to often the vids are too centered on the lead singer.  Even some video's with a great guitar part.

I might not have caught the part about Errol Brown writing Brother Louie if not for learning that Stories did a cover of it.  I heard that version first and always thought it was their song.

9 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I have a slightly similar story.   I heard Tuesday Afternoon in what I believe was the end of January of 1968.  I was listening to CHUM at the time.  It was one of those songs that when you heard it the first time, you just had to here it again.  Not many songs you like instantly.

There used to be a band in southern Ontario called  Major Hooples Boarding House that did a great version of Tuesday Afternoon and SeeSaw.  The SeeSaw version was almost identical to the Moodies.

Also if you liked the MB's you may have missed this great song, from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds."   It is by Justin Haywood.   The Jeff Wayne album is worth a listen and Forever Autumn fits it perfectly.

I heard Tuesday Afternoon in what had to be the Summer of '68, before I started college.  I discovered that I never wanted to be a steel worker and that I loved the Moody Blues.

Oh, and I actually know that song and album well.  I bought the album while stationed in Belgium and really loved it.  Justin's distinctive voice and guitar playing are a beautiful accent to the album.  Love the flute as well.

P.S.  Thanks for posting this...I haven't heard that song in many years.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1