Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

This era of widely spread "new information" gave us access to Who demos with Pete singing all the songs and we can open up the discussion over Daltrey's honest abilities to interpret what was on Mr. Townshend's mind.

--------------------------------------------------

For the 1,000th time, that's what "that song is called" by Wire...

On 12/19/2017 at 9:19 AM, row_33 said:

This era of widely spread "new information" gave us access to Who demos with Pete singing all the songs and we can open up the discussion over Daltrey's honest abilities to interpret what was on Mr. Townshend's mind.

Pete wanted the other members of the band to interpret the songs however they wanted. On the demos, he'd play all the instruments (and vocals) pretty blandly, so the guys would have just the basic framework on which to build.

Pete's lyrics resonated with me when I was a teenager, and now, in my mid-50s, they're just as relevant to me as ever. He perfectly captured the joy/anger/love/disillusionment/hope/fear of life. Quadrophenia is nothing short of brilliant; a complete masterpiece of lyrics, music, and performance.

I opted out the live version for one with Strummer's excellent lyrics.  He takes on phonies, hipsters, sell outs,  record companies, conservatives, racists, capitalism, junkies.......not bad for four minutes of music.  My personal favorite Clash tune

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Went to the Who show at Rich Stadium in '82 for the sole reason of seeing the Clash.  Really didn't care about the Who at the time, i was focused on the Clash.  Turned out to be an all around great show, but seeing the Clash live was really something special

Saw that show sitting in row ZZ at the Carrier Dome. I think that was the Who's first ever farewell tour.

Back in the day when we bought CDs, Naxos hit the classical market with excellent performances dirt cheap.

at the purchase counter for the 2CD package of Mahler’s 2nd symphony, The Resurrection, and a song cycle, the vendor told me that even if it totally sucked that it was a lot of music for that price.

i smiled thinly.

On 2017-12-21 at 11:23 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Saw that show sitting in row ZZ at the Carrier Dome. I think that was the Who's first ever farewell tour.

The absence of Mr. Moon was made a million times worse with Kenny Jones (??), The Who live with the originals was a very worthy admission fee.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:01 PM, The Poojer said:

Went to the Who show at Rich Stadium in '82 for the sole reason of seeing the Clash.  Really didn't care about the Who at the time, i was focused on the Clash.  Turned out to be an all around great show, but seeing the Clash live was really something special

I went to the same show, but for the opposite reason. I did enjoy The Clash, but my love for The Who was solidified by that show. (It's the first time I saw them.)

On 12/28/2017 at 2:47 AM, KD in CA said:

What a great song.  My absolute favorite song-ending guitar solo.

Great tune.  Supertramp is one of those bands I've always planned on getting into, but never made the time.  Someday.

Les Claypools Frog Brigade.

Shuffle played this for me  on the way to work this morning, haven't heard it in awhile.

Honestly this is more for Pink Floyd fans, but Claypool played Animals as a second set years ago.

The song that caught my attention:

If you're still interested and have 45 minutes to spare, the full set:

On 12/21/2017 at 2:06 PM, The Poojer said:

Someone did this Grateful Dead/Soul Train mashup and it's quite entertaining, that segment of Soul Train was always one of my favorite things!

Then you should definitely check out The Roots in concert.  The best Space & Drums I heard since Nevilles joined the Dead on stage at Rich in ‘89

29 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

memory is short, comes with age.

:lol:

-------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Page

January 9, 1944

I only remembered because the first time you posted the link I went out on my lunch break and saw their tour bus in the hotel across the street from my office.

• Like (+1) 1