JW: Bills Not Tempering Expectations in 2017

@john_wawrow

#Bills in no mood to temper expectations despite overhaul | Pro32: Head to Head

http://pro32.ap.org/aggiesports/article/bills-no-mood-temper-expectations-despite-overhaul

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) — Time and patience are two qualities center Eric Wood is running out of when asked to consider how long it might take for the Buffalo Bills to become contenders following their latest offseason overhaul.

What's wrong with this year?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see no rebuild here, sure turnover in the depth spots and coaching staff. A good coaching staff will mold its philosophy around the players it has, so there shouldnt be a huge dropoff. saying that i realize what Rex did to the defense.....still, trying to be positive :)

I don't get the rebuild talk. We have the same offense minus one backup RB. We lost Gilmore and Williams from the secondary. But got Lawson and Ragland back from injury. Where's the rebuild?

Very well summarized. I've been saying pretty much the same thing. Your Freudian slip is that you overlooked the departure of Robert Woods...but that speaks for itself.

I'm going to remain optimistic that the new coaches can at least get eleven players on the field before each snap!

Very well summarized. I've been saying pretty much the same thing. Your Freudian slip is that you overlooked the departure of Robert Woods...but that speaks for itself.

I'm going to remain optimistic that the new coaches can at least get eleven players on the field before each snap!

We also lost Goodwin! Isn't that going to be a huge loss?

*chirp chirp*...*chirp chirp*

I don't get the rebuild talk. We have the same offense minus one backup RB. We lost Gilmore and Williams from the secondary. But got Lawson and Ragland back from injury. Where's the rebuild?

The biggest change is the defensive scheme and personnel in the secondary with only 1 starter returning (Darby).

Funny... I see a rookie HC, GM, brand new Front Office crew.... A 7th yr QB who hasn't shown that he can get the job done... A 7mil/yr TE with knee problems... A #1 WR who can't stay healthy but is gonna want to be paid HUGE $$ after this season... Kyle Williams who will prob retire after this season... Darby who clearly regressed last season... basically 2 new Def rookies (Lawson & Ragland)... Eric Wood who isn't getting any younger and who has basically been so-so to this point in his careeer... I think REBUILDING sounds just about right.... An awful lot of question marks here...

Minus woods. Minus brown. Minus NRC. Trading back significantly for an asset next year. And not adding much.

Maybe not a rebuild, but if sitting on cap and not pushing for maximizing this seasons results there's some sort of element of this being a transitional year and not being all in yet

Funny... I see a rookie HC, GM, brand new Front Office crew.... A 7th yr QB who hasn't shown that he can get the job done... A 7mil/yr TE with knee problems... A #1 WR who can't stay healthy but is gonna want to be paid HUGE $$ after this season... Kyle Williams who will prob retire after this season... Darby who clearly regressed last season... basically 2 new Def rookies (Lawson & Ragland)... Eric Wood who isn't getting any younger and who has basically been so-so to this point in his careeer... I think REBUILDING sounds just about right.... An awful lot of question marks here...

That's not a rebuild. There are plenty of question marks, but the key players are mostly back from last season especially on offense.

Pick most NFL rosters and you'll see just as many question marks.

That's not a rebuild. There are plenty of question marks, but the key players are mostly back from last season especially on offense.

You have a rookie HC who has no previous HC experience period. Brand new stafff. Rookie GM and totally brand new front office staff. THAT ALONE IS A REBUILD....

And the rest of the things I mentioned only add to it. Oh, BTW I forgot to mention our supposed brand new rookie RT (presumed)... We have no idea how these pieces are all going to fit together... Will TT be the QB next year? That seems to be up in the air at this point too... Same goes for Watkins really... Kyle will need to be replaced which will create another opening in the near-future. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT THE TEAM WENT 7-9 LAST YEAR!!!

You have a rookie HC who has no previous HC experience period. Brand new stafff. Rookie GM and totally brand new front office staff. THAT ALONE IS A REBUILD....

And the rest of the things I mentioned only add to it. Oh, BTW I forgot to mention our supposed brand new rookie RT (presumed)... We have no idea how these pieces are all going to fit together... Will TT be the QB next year? That seems to be up in the air at this point too... Same goes for Watkins really... Kyle will need to be replaced which will create another opening in the near-future. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT THE TEAM WENT 7-9 LAST YEAR!!!

I disagree. It would be a rebuild if Kyle, Alexander, Tyrod, Shady, Sammy, Wood, Incognito, and other key players were gone.

Minus woods. Minus brown. Minus NRC. Trading back significantly for an asset next year. And not adding much.

Maybe not a rebuild, but if sitting on cap and not pushing for maximizing this seasons results there's some sort of element of this being a transitional year and not being all in yet

Yep. The team was all-in for 3-4 straight years and up against the cap. Only natural to take a step back at some point

Last two years there was no head coach just a head buffoon. I'd say a rookie HC is a vast improvement.

Last two years there was no head coach just a head buffoon. I'd say a rookie HC is a vast improvement.

and if the rookie HC only wins 4-5 games this year and ends up being fired 2-3 yrs down the road are you still gonna feel the same way? Can't we just agree to sit back and see what the "kid" has? Actually this same idea should apply to most of this team... How will this yrs #1 draft pick perform/pan out? We shall see. I, like ALL Bills fans, want to see this team progress and start to win ball games.. We can all agree on that - can't we? But clearly we are in a classic rebuild here. Teams hate to use that word because it makes it tougher to sell tickets for one thing. But we have to be honest with ourselves here....

Funny how you have to resort to what-ifs to make an already weak point.

Oh, I apologize for forgetting Woods. That isn't an insignificant loss. But getting Watkins back is a big plus. And Zay Jones shows promise.

and if the rookie HC only wins 4-5 games this year and ends up being fired 2-3 yrs down the road are you still gonna feel the same way? Can't we just agree to sit back and see what the "kid" has? Actually this same idea should apply to most of this team... How will this yrs #1 draft pick perform/pan out? We shall see. I, like ALL Bills fans, want to see this team progress and start to win ball games.. We can all agree on that - can't we? But clearly we are in a classic rebuild here. Teams hate to use that word because it makes it tougher to sell tickets for one thing. But we have to be honest with ourselves here....

Not this season. If key players are let go via trade, free agency, or waivers, then it'll be a rebuild.

if this upcoming QB draft class is to be believed as amazing, then the rebuild should be now. clearly not in rebuild mode. clearly not in playoff push mode either. just kinda muddling around like usual.

There is nothing to be gained from dismantling your team. Ask Cleveland how their never-ending rebuild is going.

Funny how you have to resort to what-ifs to make an already weak point.

Oh, I apologize for forgetting Woods. That isn't an insignificant loss. But getting Watkins back is a big plus. And Zay Jones shows promise.

We aren't "getting back" players we already had. Lawson and Sammy both played half the year last season.

Losing Gilmore is going to hurt.

I still think we need to bring back Byrd.

There is nothing to be gained from dismantling your team. Ask Cleveland how their never-ending rebuild is going.

wasnt aware that Cleveland had sold off all their good players in the effort to land the top rated QB prospect every year. i dont remember them taking any top QBs over the span of their recent ineptitude. you are correct however in their never ending rebuild.

they still lack any consistency at the most important position, same one the Jets are tanking for, same one half of Bills fans are unsure about, QB.

Edited by bigduke6

They all averaged 24pts a game - and now adding a healthy Sammy & a 2nd rd draft pick to help at biggest weakness RT

I view in the sense that all teams are rebuilding then. The jets are rebuilding. We let some talent walk and replaced them with high draft picks under cap controlled contracts. Potential for similar production. Then we get two guys in rags and Shaq that we're hurt last year back who have a lot of talent. Awil didn't even play last year and we add Hyde. Did we just rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it's nice to have a nearly flawless team like NE, but frequently teams go on unexpected runs as a result of good health, a few guys having great years, role players stepping up, and better than expected chemistry. Did anyone foresee the Falcons as near SB champs a year ago? You see this happen in baseball all the time.

I don't expect it from the Bills because I still think Taylor is barely average and the secondary is bad, but what if Taylor take a big step forward, the front 7 stays healthy and Darby turns into an All Pro? Teams don't need to have every hole perfectly filled to have a great season and they shouldn't have that mindset.

Depends on the structure of the roster and contracts.

As we've never truly been in cap trouble, and have a borderline competitive roster it makes sense to try to compete.

Depends on the structure of the roster and contracts.

As we've never truly been in cap trouble, and have a borderline competitive roster it makes sense to try to compete.

Wait, what happened to us being in cap hell?

Just because you replace a coaching staff that does not signal rebiuld.....tell that to the falcons

I'm cautiously excited but again, this is the Buffalo Bills. Vegas has the line at 6 and they are more right than they are wrong.

8-8 is a good season.

Sub 6 is bad.

Our schedule is brutal.

...initially "on paper", yes......but the pre-season strength of schedule prognostications versus the ACTUAL end of regular season results hugely differ......no way to predict injuries, cuts, suspensions, bad calls, weather implications, etc.......so stay tuned.............

Wait, what happened to us being in cap hell?

I've maintained not the case the whole way generally speaking and look at us now- could've kept or added anyone we wanted. We were not ideal but far from trouble. With the cap floor fans will need to get used to Us spending regularly

Definitely not a rebuild........there are a half dozen key players at the end of their careers and virtually nothing behind them so they aren't building squat right now.

As you said, it's a transitional year........but so were the Patriots going into year two of Belichick.

That roster was not the least bit impressive.........but a lot of previously disappointing/uninspiring players stepped up.....played team ball.....cheated a bit........and won a frickin' SB.

If the Bills can start winning maybe they breathe a couple more years of production into old guys like Shady, Wood, Incognito, Kyle etc. and that allows them to bridge to a more talented version of themselves.

Just because you replace a coaching staff that does not signal rebiuld.....tell that to the falcons

I agree. Typically a middle of the league team isn't a rebuild. The thought is a new coaching staff tries to take them over the hump.

So you think the Bills will miss the coaching of the Ryan brothers? And how does having a rookie GM affect the product on the field this year?

But clearly we are in a classic rebuild here.

No, we aren't. Not a single piece of "evidence" you've cited points to a rebuild. The Bills were a .500 team the last two years and have not cleaned house in any way, shape or form. The turnover they experienced was unremarkable, and they retained several higher priced veterans who certainly would have been traded or cut if they were in rebuild mode.

The Bills had an underperforming head coach, who they replaced with someone everyone hopes and expects to be better. Ditto the GM. The Broncos have a new HC this year...Are they rebuilding?

So you think the Bills will miss the coaching of the Ryan brothers? And how does having a rookie GM affect the product on the field this year?

Someone should point out to DefenseWins that first time coaches have a better track record than ones who are on their second or third jobs.

WHERE did I even mention those two idiots? But lets face facts here our HC has no prior head coaching experience. He may talk a good game but let's see him win a few games before we annoint him as the second coming of Marv Levy. And the same holds true for our rookie GM and front office staff. Let's see what they do with next years draft before we start shouting their praises.

And I'll go on record now as forecasting a 6 win season for this team...

Edited by DefenseWins

I said last season if the bills just fixed the defense and had a healthy offense with a few additions to the team overall, that the bills could compete with any team. I believe McDermott has/is doing just that. I don't see an offensive regression this year. While it wouldn't shock me if Mccoy doesn't put up the numbers he did last year, I believe Taylor will make up for it with the play action. Yes we have a tough schedule. Yes, 10 wins will be hard to get, but I believe this is the best bills team we will have seen since 99 or even 04 if you want to include that.

You're talking about turnover. Not a rebuild. I think you have the two confused.