Sherman says players should strike!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that people have this mindset of animosity towards the players. I don't really understand it. It seems to me that are to some extent being exploited for profit by the owners, like most laborers.

Compared to most industries you could argue the level of exploitation is about the same. 50% for payroll?

Not to mention, as others have pointed out, the average career is only 3-4 years and much of the earnings are taxed away, pay managers, are poorly invested, etc. (There's a Netflix documentary).

I guess I understand it's difficult to sympathize with someone making hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a game. But the straight up animosity is bizarre.

50% for payroll would be high in my industry.

When all teams are owned by the fans - players will be paid more, team revenue will increase, and the love communities shower over their teams will pay dividends.

See: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-Foundation-awards-250000-impact-grants-to-CP-and-Green-Bay-Area-Public-School-District/c44abf1c-e0a0-44e8-a963-a43864916181

Until that day, we languish together, nipping at each other over how much somebody "deserves to be paid". Trust me, we all deserve to be paid more.

Yeah, friggin' greedy workers.

If you think NFL Players are 'workers' we need to talk.

The very idea of a union for millionaires rankles.

The more severe rankle should come from the very existence of Public Employee Unions. Talk about the fleecing of America!

this thread makes me laugh

screw the players. laundry wearing idiots.

When all teams are owned by the fans - players will be paid more, team revenue will increase, and the love communities shower over their teams will pay dividends.

See: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-Foundation-awards-250000-impact-grants-to-CP-and-Green-Bay-Area-Public-School-District/c44abf1c-e0a0-44e8-a963-a43864916181

Until that day, we languish together, nipping at each other over how much somebody "deserves to be paid". Trust me, we all deserve to be paid more.

whatever this says, i wish it made sense but fear i would know less than i currently do after being able to understand it.

Spoiled, ungrateful, ignorant of real life, thank you Mr. Sherman for showing us parents and grandpa's how to not raise our children. Entertainment and sports celebrities......now,my son, that's what I hope you don't pick as a role model.

Sorry, I don't understand your point.

Then how does the NBA survive? At any rate, there is already plenty of guaranteed $$ out there in the NFL...all we are talking about is increasing something that's already there

My point is that the NBA isn't an apples to apples comparison?

And that bad contracts have screwed up the NBA a ton. The Knicks are the most valuable franchise in their league, you think anyone liked watching them pay the corpse of Amar'e Stoudemire a max contract for 5 years?

And that bad contracts have screwed up the NBA a ton. The Knicks are the most valuable franchise in their league, you think anyone liked watching them pay the corpse of Amar'e Stoudemire a max contract for 5 years?

...LMAO...so putrid DOES have value.....it's all market driven FIRST and the actual product means squat.....would you pay 2 grand for courtside?.....

All NBA teams have signed bad player contracts, just like all NFL teams have. So what?

Your point about the Bricks makes absolutely no sense. Do you really you think they stink because of guaranteed contracts, not because of lousy management?

All NBA teams have signed bad player contracts, just like all NFL teams have. So what?

Your point about the Bricks makes absolutely no sense. Do you really you think they stink because of guaranteed contracts, not because of lousy management?

Maybe you don't remember recent history. The Knicks were a decent team with a superstar in prime Carmelo Anthony from 2010-2014. They were hamstrung with an absolute albatross of a max contract in Amar'e Stoudemire during this time, a time when their championship contention window was at its widest.

Amar'e Stoudemire's contract singlehandedly wasted the last few good years of a HoFer's career. There are countless examples of absolute awful contracts that end up destroying NBA teams. It's bad for the sport.

I don't want to see more stuff like that in the NFL. I don't want to see a player singlehandedly cripple a franchise for 3-4 years. It wouldn't even work in the NFL as well as the NBA, where most of the money isn't tradeable.

Edited by jmc12290

Maybe you don't remember recent history. The Knicks were a decent team with a superstar in prime Carmelo Anthony from 2010-2014. They were hamstrung with an absolute albatross of a max contract in Amar'e Stoudemire during this time, a time when their championship contention window was at its widest.

Amar'e Stoudemire's contract singlehandedly wasted the last few good years of a HoFer's career. There are countless examples of absolute awful contracts that end up destroying NBA teams. It's bad for the sport.

I don't want to see more stuff like that in the NFL. I don't want to see a player singlehandedly cripple a franchise for 3-4 years.

It's bad for stupid teams. The sport is doing just fine.

It could be doing better.

The Knicks are in their current situation because they pulled a "hey let's hire Marv Levy as an exec! He was a great coach!" with Phil Jackson. He did so poorly, it was almost like he tried to do that poorly.

The cost to run an NFL franchise is so much more then an NBA franchise, it's not just players salary. There's more coaches and front office staff. There are also more injuries causing loss of players who then have to be replaced by others who will cost money. Larger venues that are harder to book for other events aside from the standard NFL schedule. It's not feasible to compare the 2 leagues.

And it's funny how those who support the players always question those who call them greedy because the owners have more money. The owner also take on more risks. It doesn't cost a dime of their own money for someone to be a pro player, but it costs a lot to own a franchise so the pro players have a place to play. And just because they are already wealthy, it doesn't mean the owners have to be charities and do it all for nothing so the players can get rich. If your investing a billion dollars into something, you are going to expect a decent return on that investment. The owners aren't making the players do anything they don't want to, they aren't slave owners (even though I'm sure there are some who might say they are like them). If the players don't like what they are being paid to play a game that gives them almost half a year off every year, no one is making them do it. They all went to college, usually on a scholarship, go put that cheap/free education you got to use.....

Richard Sherman is stating NFL players need to consider striking to get better deals like the NBA and MLB. He then praises NBA players for being smart and working around the cap by taking 2 year deals.

NBA players like KD and LeBron are sitting there taking two-year deals like it's nothing," Sherman said. "They figure, 'I'll take a two-year deal because I'm going to wait for the salary cap to increase and get another bite at the apple.' In our sport, they won't do it."

Great idea Richard when you consider the average NFL career is only three years long. Losing 1/2 years salary will look real good when you only play for three seasons!

In fairness...I like Sherman. I don't have a problem generally with him or with how he likes to talk trash or speak his mind. However, this NBA comparison stuff is all pretty dumb.

Richard Sherman is stating NFL players need to consider striking to get better deals like the NBA and MLB. He then praises NBA players for being smart and working around the cap by taking 2 year deals.

NBA players like KD and LeBron are sitting there taking two-year deals like it's nothing," Sherman said. "They figure, 'I'll take a two-year deal because I'm going to wait for the salary cap to increase and get another bite at the apple.' In our sport, they won't do it."

Great idea Richard when you consider the average NFL career is only three years long. Losing 1/2 years salary will look real good when you only play for three seasons!

My read is he saw Sammy get attention for his previous comment on this topic, and so sherm had to go get his too.

Shameless copycat

That's wild that the US is 75 times the size of England, but Premier League soccer still makes $5 billion a year.

I agree but it's just as wild to see how much the US invests in sports teams from all four major leagues. Is all this valuation really warranted? Makes me wonder how this became such a cultural necessity. (And I'm a huge sports fan.)

That's wild that the US is 75 times the size of England, but Premier League soccer still makes $5 billion a year.

touch over 6x by population (53mill vs 320mill), which is the real factor in expenditure.

plus, EPL is for all intents and purposes the only pro sports league in England (I know, there's pro rugby but its like comparing the MLS to NFL).

combining the Big 4 in the US gets $31 billion spent on pro sports vs $5.3 billion on EPL

roughly per capita, England and the US spend the same on pro sports:

US - 96.75

UK - 100.00

I think Sherman painted a target on himself. A team will think thrice before signing him.

revis bounced around. made a nice living at it too. it just takes a few guys to get together and change it. nothing in the rules against all guaranteed deals. i've always been curious as to why teams haven't done it for lower level guys to get them at a better price.

touch over 6x by population (53mill vs 320mill), which is the real factor in expenditure.

plus, EPL is for all intents and purposes the only pro sports league in England (I know, there's pro rugby but its like comparing the MLS to NFL).

combining the Big 4 in the US gets $31 billion spent on pro sports vs $5.3 billion on EPL

roughly per capita, England and the US spend the same on pro sports:

US - 96.75

UK - 100.00

Great analysis... The other big thing about EPL is that it is the most watched league around the world. I love watching the EPL games every weekend from August to May, and am delighted that my Tottenham Hotspur had their highest finish in 50 years. I imagine that more foreigners watch EPL than the NFL, which accounts for higher than expected revenues.

Great analysis... The other big thing about EPL is that it is the most watched league around the world. I love watching the EPL games every weekend from August to May, and am delighted that my Tottenham Hotspur had their highest finish in 50 years. I imagine that more foreigners watch EPL than the NFL, which accounts for higher than expected revenues.

oh, definitely. EPL is the NFL of soccer leagues. most popular, most money, biggest names. i love watching EPL games too, but I tend to root for the fun stories...like a few years ago when Hull City got out of relegation for the 1st time ever (in a playoff too), latched on to them for the run. I wonder how much bleed over you get in Europe vs the home country's league.

Sorry, I don't understand your point.

Then how does the NBA survive? At any rate, there is already plenty of guaranteed $$ out there in the NFL...all we are talking about is increasing something that's already there

When you play a 16 game schedule the importance of every game is amplified. It is harder to float. Lots of floating in the NHL and NBA regulart season. Maybe you don't notice it but it is there.

Guaranteed contract, don't feel like playing, Ask Mario how that incentive works.

Richard Sherman is the poster child of why players want guaranteed contracts. He plays well enough but then has some games where he gets absolutely torched... especially recently.

How many times have you seen him with his hands on his hips shaking his head after getting beat? He yells at the safeties constantly. He had a 2 int game at the NYJ last year, but I recall him getting beat by Marshall pretty good too during this game. And getting INTs against Fitz ( and I likeFitz) is hardly something to brag about.

When you play a 16 game schedule the importance of every game is amplified. It is harder to float. Lots of floating in the NHL and NBA regulart season. Maybe you don't notice it but it is there.

Guaranteed contract, don't feel like playing, Ask Mario how that incentive works.

How does this support your argument? Do NBA players "float" (I'll have to take your word for it that they do, because I have not seen it) because of guaranteed contracts or because of the 82-game schedule? I'm confused.

This thread shows why players shouldn't have any loyalty.

If the amount of money players who generate billions of dollars in college and pro football make bothers you, stop going and watching. But guess what? Someone else will take your place.

I'm not a fan of guaranteed contracts. Work hard, do good, get paid. That's how the world should work.

I get this more on baseball. But in pro football where your career can end in one play? Jaylon Smith blew out his knee in a college bowl game and might never play in the NFL.

I get that it rankles people when players like Sammy and Sherman talk about wanting more money. But the majority of player careers are less than 3 years, and they take a lot of physical abuse over that time with longer term health problems. I am ok with more guaranteed money provisions and maybe extended health care benefits after leaving. Don't tell me that the owners can't afford it.