McDermott has really impressed me. We might have struck gold

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The test will be when some L's start piling up. Then we'll see how the players respond to "the process" and how he responds as well. I do like him, but will be interesting to see how his coach-speak goes over when facing the media after some adversity.

I've watched enough of Russell Wilson to say he wouldn't have sniffed the divisional Rd of the playoffs without that defense. Yet he's considered a Great franchise QB

Russell Wilson's last 2 seasons without an offensive line have yielded 57 Td's and 8400 yards. He is really good.

Him and Carroll both are killing it.

Edited by Maury Ballstein

I know TC hasn't even started but I've personally been blown away by our new Head coach. Just the way he communicates with the players, demands respect and has a certain intensity to him has really rejuvenated my hopes for this season and beyond.

His style, his swagger has been super impressive and it's a style that I feel we translate to the team playing to their full potential.

Rex Ryan had this team nowhere near their full potential and still had us contending for playoffs late in the season.

I've always felt this board has underrated the talent on this team , I think if we stay relatively healthy we can easily contend in the AFC , even with Rex. Now with what I believe will be a Massive upgrade at HC, I am anticipating this team to grab a Wild Card spot, again, I just have a strong feeling McDermott's coaching style, his teaching style and the way he communicates will translate extremely well, which will maximize the potential of a talented team. My gut tells me we won't be hiring a HC in a long long time...

I like him too, and feel that he has the desired traits for a long term coach, but we will see how he reacts under extreme pressure. He seemed a little irritated when reporters asked him about the Whaley situation, so we'll see how he does when reporters drill him about QB controversy, bad calls, and so on.

I like what has been done so far.

Appears to have been a nice draft with an extra 2018 list round pick.

Appears to be quality staff assembled, a lot of experience.

Brought in some solid free agents in form of safeties, a LB, some WRs some RBs, and a potential upgrade as a kicker

Still has about 12 million in reserve for possible additions.

Offense should be solid and I would expect the defense to be more focused with players understanding their roles, unlike last year.

I would expect there to be fewer stupid penalties and more accountability.

I am hopeful that third and long for the defense won't make me nervous.

I don't know what to expect this year as far as W/L record, but I hope to see the foundation being set for year 2 and beyond.

I've watched enough of Russell Wilson to say he wouldn't have sniffed the divisional Rd of the playoffs without that defense. Yet he's considered a Great franchise QB

Russell Wilson's last 2 seasons without an offensive line have yielded 57 Td's and 8400 yards. He is really good.

Him and Carroll both are killing it.

That number one defense though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a fine coach, you can tell already.

Won't matter without the franchise QB though, sadly enough. We may already have the right qb on our roster, but if we don't he'd better have a plan to get one AT ALL COSTS or he's back to a lifetime coordinator job.

There are a lot of coaches that could have been HOF but were fired after a few years because they didn't have the right qb. We have 2 1st rounders next year, I'd throw in our 2019 1st round pick to make a run at a trade up for a stud qb if I were the coach and could influence my front office enough to do it. Gotta roll the dice baby.

Nonsense. "Fine" coaches make the playoffs even without QBs, as witness Rex Ryan in 2009 & 2010 (Mark Sanchez) and John Fox in 2011 (Tim Tebow). Rex took those Jests teams to the AFC Championship game both years. Fox won a playoff game with Tebow, beating Pittsburgh in OT in the wild card. Neither Sanchez nor Tebow were ever even half as good as Taylor is today.

Minnesota has made the playoffs several times with different HCs when they didn't have anybody resembling a franchise QB, the last time in 2012 with Christian Ponder.

New England won a Super Bowl in Brady's first year as a starter when he replaced an injured Drew Bledsoe, and Seattle went to the AFC Championship with rookie QB Russell Wilson. Neither Brady nor Wilson were "franchise" QBs in those years.

This.

Why can't people just wait until he actually coaches ONE game before annoiting him as the next great coach?

I've heard this SO many times the past 20 years. Seems some never learn.

I totally agree. Same old, same old. I reserve judgement until I see what McDermott actually does as a coach. Ryan came with much better credentials, and he flopped. Jauron and Gailey both had more NFL experience than McDermott and they both failed.

I guess I wouldn't call Taylor a Franchise QB but I feel he can be a Winning QB.

I feel he has a very unique skillset that can be successful in the right scheme and with a defense that isn't so bi polar.

Being that Seattle has had so many prime time games, I've watched enough of Russell Wilson to say he wouldn't have sniffed the divisional Rd of the playoffs without that defense. Yet he's considered a Great franchise QB, because of Carroll and that D.

I think Tyrod has the same potential , hetc does need some help from his defense and his WR to stay healthy though. I just feel he makes enough plays to win games and very very rarely will lose us a game with his knack to not throw ints. Give Taylor the defense we thought we were getting with Rex and not only do we make the playoffs but we'll have a legit shot at making a run in the playoffs.

I agree. If Cinci can make the playoffs with Andy Dalton, KC with Alex Smith, and Miami with Ryan Tannehill, the Bills can certainly do the same with Tyrod if the rest of the team is up to snuff, which, I'm afraid it's not AGAIN. IMO, the problem isn't that the Bills lack a "franchise QB", they lack the commitment to winning on the part of the front office that's needed to assemble and keep the necessary talent. The FO is primarily interested in putting a fancy shine on the same old product with a new coaching staff or new stars or whatever will put butts in the seats.

What if he is really awful the first 2 years?

McDermott won't even get two years. Two months, maybe, and the same posters who are "all in" on McDermott today will be leading the cheerleaders for firing his arse.

Edited by SoTier

Does he like Ranch dressing on his wings?

That's what's important.

That's blasphemy. Say its not true..

----------------

A good coach can take an average team to the playoffs, and a great team to the promise land. Its all aboot putting the players you have in the best possible scenarios to succeed. Easier said than done but I believe this to be true

We have an average team.. We make the playoffs with this team this year I'd say he's a keeper

Edited by ddaryl

I am also very excited about the whole new regime based on what we've seen so far. I think it's a soft rebuild though so I'm not impatient, and will look for positive signs of improvement toward the long term.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm a little skeptical with some decisions.

MG, Gilmore, Watkins non pick up on the option.

They are being very conservative when it comes to the cap and players. It has me a bit concerned they won't pay Sammy when the time comes.

They kind of had to be. The contracts given out the last few years have been awful. We can't get out of the Dareus contract if we had to. I like they are being smart with these contracts.

Would people really be upset about losing gilmore if he wasnt a Pat*?

Rex had 2 deep playoff runs on top of the bravado fwiw.

Yes his first two years then his team went on a free fall.

Does he like Ranch dressing on his wings?

That's what's important.

Its Blue Cheese or hes fired;)

I've liked what I've seen as well out of him but always have cautious optimism.

Back when I used to lurk on the BBMB, 95% of the posters loved the Rex Ryan signing in 2015. He was this generations Chuck Knox, the big named coach who signed here.

Of course totally different scenario, I'm just always cautious.

~99% of those 95% thought that Rex was an overrated blowhard up until the exact moment the Bills hired him. It was really pathetic.