McDermott has really impressed me. We might have struck gold

They kind of had to be. The contracts given out the last few years have been awful. We can't get out of the Dareus contract if we had to. I like they are being smart with these contracts.

Would people really be upset about losing gilmore if he wasnt a Pat*?

Oh, puh-leez! This has been the Bills FO's excuse for letting key players walk away for 20 years, and in many, perhaps most, of those seasons they weren't even within 10 million $ of the cap even including dead money! I am sick of the Bills organization fielding crappy teams because they either can't or won't manage the salary cap well enough to put a winning team on the field! Maximizing profit is a whole lot more important at OBD than winning games for this entire century!

Jeez maree! It takes real skill to manage to put together only 2 winning seasons and no playoff appearances in 17 years!!!! Even Cleveland's done better than that because they made the playoffs at least once in the last 17 years.

What I'm upset about is constantly watching ex-Buffalo Bills help other teams make the playoffs and play in and even win Super Bowls ...

• Antoine Smith won a Super Bowl with NE.
  • Jabari Greer won a Super Bowl with New Orleans.
  • Marshawn Lynch won a Super Bowl with Seattle.
  • Chris Hogan won a Super Bowl with NE.
  • Ruben Brown, Mike Gandy, and Donte Whitner all played in the Super Bowl within the last decade.

Then there's all the former Bills who took Pro Bowl and All Pro honors while helping other teams to make the playoffs during the Bills playoff drought.

I have no idea whether McDermott can be a good HC coach or not, but my gut feeling is that he's doomed to mediocrity at best because he's unlikely to get the support from the Bills FO that he needs in terms of retaining key talent. Oh, they might bring in an expensive FA to excite the fans like Terrell Owens and Mario Williams but they'll let key players already on the roster go and then use the draft to try to fill those holes, leaving McDermott and his staff to rearrange the deck chairs on Titanic.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, puh-leez! This has been the Bills FO's excuse for letting key players walk away for 20 years, and in many, perhaps most, of those seasons they weren't even within 10 million $ of the cap even including dead money! I am sick of the Bills organization fielding crappy teams because they either can't or won't manage the salary cap well enough to put a winning team on the field! Maximizing profit is a whole lot more important at OBD than winning games for this entire century!

Jeez maree! It takes real skill to manage to put together only 2 winning seasons and no playoff appearances in 17 years!!!! Even Cleveland's done better than that because they made the playoffs at least once in the last 17 years.

What I'm upset about is constantly watching ex-Buffalo Bills help other teams make the playoffs and play in and even win Super Bowls ...

• Ruben Brown, Mike Gandy, and Donte Whitner all played in the Super Bowl within the last decade.
Then there's all the former Bills who took Pro Bowl and All Pro honors while helping other teams to make the playoffs during the Bills playoff drought.

I have no idea whether McDermott can be a good HC coach or not, but my gut feeling is that he's doomed to mediocrity at best because he's unlikely to get the support from the Bills FO that he needs in terms of retaining key talent. Oh, they might bring in an expensive FA to excite the fans like Terrell Owens and Mario Williams but they'll let key players already on the roster go and then use the draft to try to fill those holes, leaving McDermott and his staff to rearrange the deck chairs on Titanic.

Are you aware that Terry Pegula is the owner and that Jeff Littman is no longer associated with the team?

i just don't see this as being a problem at all. the pegulas have shown that they're more than willing to spend money, and the gm was hired because of his working relationship with mcdermott. i'm not saying there's going to be success in the future, but if there isn't, i certainly don't think it will be because the front office won't work with the head coach.

I know TC hasn't even started but I've personally been blown away by our new Head coach. Just the way he communicates with the players, demands respect and has a certain intensity to him has really rejuvenated my hopes for this season and beyond.

His style, his swagger has been super impressive and it's a style that I feel we translate to the team playing to their full potential.

Rex Ryan had this team nowhere near their full potential and still had us contending for playoffs late in the season.

I've always felt this board has underrated the talent on this team , I think if we stay relatively healthy we can easily contend in the AFC , even with Rex. Now with what I believe will be a Massive upgrade at HC, I am anticipating this team to grab a Wild Card spot, again, I just have a strong feeling McDermott's coaching style, his teaching style and the way he communicates will translate extremely well, which will maximize the potential of a talented team. My gut tells me we won't be hiring a HC in a long long time...

I agree that the fans around here underrate the talent on the Bills.

As for McDermott, i truly believe nothing matters accept wins. I agree McDermott is doing the kind of things that I've seen successful coaches do before, but unsuccessful coaches also have done those things and not won.

Organization and attitude are among the things successful coaches need, but that isn't all. They need leadership, for example. We see McDermott attempting to to lead, but the only measure of leadership is whether the troops follow. We don't know that yet, can't know it.

Tactical excellence is necessary. Xs and Os. We have no idea how good McDermott, Dennison and other are at offensive play design. We don't even have a good idea about his defensive excellence, although we know he's coached a defense that had some good years.

We don't know about his game planning.

We don't know about his game management.

Those are probably just some of the things we don't know about him yet. I don't even know what the others are.

I'm excited for the new season to get underway, and I WANT McDermott to be the great young coach he could be, but we simply won't know what we're getting until we've seen a half dozen regular season games, maybe more. Frankly, he might need the entire first season to figure out what he's doing.

This.

Why can't people just wait until he actually coaches ONE game before annoiting him as the next great coach?

I've heard this SO many times the past 20 years. Seems some never learn.

Why can't people just wait before bashing? It is in their nature.

In an interview on WGR, Beane talked about how he and McDermott have already been watching games and going through scenarios to prepare for things like when to take a timeout, when to challenge, when to spike, went to punt, etc. Clearly McDermott and Beane may not work out, but I don't get the impression that it will be because they are unprepared.

McDermott has talked about when he talks to other coaches, he takes notes and tries to learn as much as possible from everyone he talks to.

So far I like his approach. He seems to be on the strict side, but it's easier to start there and loosen up the reigns when guys prove they don't need to be babysat versus the opposite.

I agree that the fans around here underrate the talent on the Bills.

As for McDermott, i truly believe nothing matters accept wins. I agree McDermott is doing the kind of things that I've seen successful coaches do before, but unsuccessful coaches also have done those things and not won.

Organization and attitude are among the things successful coaches need, but that isn't all. They need leadership, for example. We see McDermott attempting to to lead, but the only measure of leadership is whether the troops follow. We don't know that yet, can't know it.

Tactical excellence is necessary. Xs and Os. We have no idea how good McDermott, Dennison and other are at offensive play design. We don't even have a good idea about his defensive excellence, although we know he's coached a defense that had some good years.

We don't know about his game planning.

We don't know about his game management.

Those are probably just some of the things we don't know about him yet. I don't even know what the others are.

I'm excited for the new season to get underway, and I WANT McDermott to be the great young coach he could be, but we simply won't know what we're getting until we've seen a half dozen regular season games, maybe more. Frankly, he might need the entire first season to figure out what he's doing.

This is all a very real possibility. I guess it's kinda how I view Reggie Ragland, and feel his college game will translate to NFL success, of course ppl say he's to slow , I say his instincts will make up for the lack of speed.

Suprisingly McD has given me this same feel, that his style of coaching and his instincts towards his players will translate to success.

If the defense takes the jump I anticipate them to make, and the offense improves a little bit, I see this team being legit contenders this year

Building and coaching up a team, saying all the right things, strong planning and ethics seem all pointed in the right direction. The proof for me comes game day and how well he and his coaches react during games. Game calling on both sides of the ball, placing his players in the position to make plays. This is where Bellichik really earns his paycheck. Out coach him on game day and I believe.