Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Just got this on GR text...I am good with this.

Just looked at contracts

$5.6 for two years for Jason...livable for the little extra from Ennis

$4.0M for Scandella for 3 more years...awesome!

I don't know much about Scandella, can anyone provide details?

I don't know much about Scandella, can anyone provide details?

Not a huge offensive player, but very good two player...but injuries are a bit of concern. Left handed shot.

Pair him with Risto and let Risto start to show his offensive talents more.

Pommenville and Ennis are basically a wash. We're taking on another $1M in cap hit the next 2 years, but I actually think the guy who will be 35 next year has a better chance at staying healthy than the 27 year old Ennis.

So a trade of Foligno for a 2nd pair D that's under a reasonable contract for the next 3 years is a pretty good deal. I guess the one red flag is that Scandella is coming off hip surgery, but it still seems like a safe bet. It's a lot easier to replace a physical grinding winger than it is to acquire a top 4 D.

I love this trade

@jourdonlabarber

Pominville said his son is already wearing his #Sabres jersey. Never thought about possibility, but excited to be back.

@nicholsonhockey

McKenzie: "The Montreal Canadiens were in on Scandella. They didn't get him." #Habs #mnwild #Sabres

@nhljensen

Pominville had same even-str. point total (40) as Kessel, Monahan, Marner despite low S% (7.4) & depth role. Scandella big upgrade. #Sabres

Edited by YoloinOhio

Defense is looking markedly improved from last season.

That should happen when you replace half of them. Now they don't have to rush Guhle, who is tailor made for Housley's game.

With the addition of Scandella it appears that the Sabres are going to hold on to Kane, at least in the short term. Assuming he stays then it looks like that our top two lines are going to be very good. The players making up the top lines will be Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo, O'Reilly and maybe Baptiste. No matter who you assemble the lines there is a lot of talent to work with.

The Scandella deal not only upgrades the defense but it also allowed us to keep our talent in tact for the top two lines. The GM didn't make blockbuster deals to upgrade the defense but he did make a couple of smart deals to buttress the unit and the team.

With the addition of Scandella it appears that the Sabres are going to hold on to Kane, at least in the short term. Assuming he stays then it looks like that our top two lines are going to be very good. The players making up the top lines will be Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo, O'Reilly and maybe Baptiste. No matter who you assemble the lines there is a lot of talent to work with.

The Scandella deal not only upgrades the defense but it also allowed us to keep our talent in tact for the top two lines. The GM didn't make blockbuster deals to upgrade the defense but he did make a couple of smart deals to buttress the unit and the team.

If they really want to play the speed game that they keep mentioning, there's no way they walk away from Kane. They may have to do it at the deadline, but for now, it's time to see how this style will work with these guys.

As for the trade, I do like the thought of a finisher like pominville being able to take a few passes from eichel occasionally. I'm sure he's destined for the third line role, but he can fill in at spots and also the PP.

Just listened to Mike Russo , pretty plugged in writer for the Star Trib in MN, on GR from yesterday. Indicated Scandella's dad was diagnosed with cancer and passed fairly quickly, and he think's it affected Scandalla's play quite a bit last year.

Good read here on Scandella

http://www.startribune.com/wild-s-scandella-on-his-own-after-father-s-death/396100721/

That is about as bad a rip I have seen on a hockey player.

Pouliot had always been a darling of fans and bloggers who use Corsi analysis to rate players, but Rishaug said he didn’t care to hear any kind of stats analysis on this player: “Watch him play, doesn’t work hard enough, not smart enough, makes terrible defensive decisions, isn’t committed enough, the list goes on and on and on. (I) could care less what the numbers say.”

That is about as bad a rip I have seen on a hockey player.

Pouliot had always been a darling of fans and bloggers who use Corsi analysis to rate players, but Rishaug said he didnt care to hear any kind of stats analysis on this player: Watch him play, doesnt work hard enough, not smart enough, makes terrible defensive decisions, isnt committed enough, the list goes on and on and on. (I) could care less what the numbers say.

*couldn't. couldn't care less.

Like fingernails on a chalkboard

Edited by YoloinOhio

If they really want to play the speed game that they keep mentioning, there's no way they walk away from Kane. They may have to do it at the deadline, but for now, it's time to see how this style will work with these guys.

As for the trade, I do like the thought of a finisher like pominville being able to take a few passes from eichel occasionally. I'm sure he's destined for the third line role, but he can fill in at spots and also the PP.

The former GM rightly criticized Kane because he was the type of player who would be the last player at the rink and one of the first players to leave the locker room. He was also criticized by Murray for not making much of an effort into getting to know his teammates. Those are valid criticisms. I'm not questioning the former GM's characterization of him. But just because he is not a joiner and because he is aloof from the other players that doesn't make him a bad guy. He is simply a different type of guy who doesn't embrace others resulting in others not embracing him.

Anyone who watches him play has to acknowledge that he always plays hard and with an edge. And no one can deny that he is one of the most dependable players to stand up for his teammates. Last year it was apparent to me that as the season advanced he played a much more coordinated game with his linemates compared to his usual Lone Ranger style of play.

I'm hoping that the Sabres not allow his individual character traits to prejudice their view of him as a player. As a player I know that he has a lot to offer.

@BuffaloSabres

SIGNING: We've signed defenseman Matt Tennyson (@Tenner_7) to a two-year contract.

@SabresPR

The Sabres have signed defenseman Matt Tennyson to a two-year contract.

https://t.co/MeWEAEobv1

Could you pleas slow down because I'm having trouble keeping up? :thumbsup:

The former GM rightly criticized Kane because he was the type of player who would be the last player at the rink and one of the first players to leave the locker room. He was also criticized by Murray for not making much of an effort into getting to know his teammates. Those are valid criticisms. I'm not questioning the former GM's characterization of him. But just because he is not a joiner and because he is aloof from the other players that doesn't make him a bad guy. He is simply a different type of guy who doesn't embrace others resulting in others not embracing him.

Anyone who watches him play has to acknowledge that he always plays hard and with an edge. And no one can deny that he is one of the most dependable players to stand up for his teammates. Last year it was apparent to me that as the season advanced he played a much more coordinated game with his linemates compared to his usual Lone Ranger style of play.

I'm hoping that the Sabres not allow his individual character traits to prejudice their view of him as a player. As a player I know that he has a lot to offer.

Could you pleas slow down because I'm having trouble keeping up? :thumbsup:

More signings for the Amerks:

@BuffaloSabres

1f6a8.png Another signing! Welcome, Seth Griffith!

DDqugSxWsAA9xNE.jpg

Goalie signing! We've signed a one-year deal with Adam Wilcox, a 24-year-old Minnesota native & alum of @GopherHockey.

DDqyUzZW0AAXsxR.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

DDrDZbKWsAE7Ypn.jpg
DDrDZrOXkAEcY3d.jpg

July 01, 2017 05:17 PM

The Buffalo Sabres have addressed minor league depth needs by signing five players, including Seth Griffith to a one-year, $650,000 contract.

Griffith had five assists in 24 games split between Toronto and Florida last season, while spending the remainder of the year in the minors.

Buffalo also signed minor league forwards Kevin Porter and Kyle Criscuolo, defenseman Matt Tennyson and goalie Adam Wilcox on Saturday. Tennyson had six assists in playing a career-high 45 NHL games with Carolina last season.

The five are anticipated to play in for the Rochester Americans, the Sabres' American Hockey League affiliate.

More signings for the Amerks:

@BuffaloSabres

1f6a8.png Another signing! Welcome, Seth Griffith!

DDqugSxWsAA9xNE.jpg

Goalie signing! We've signed a one-year deal with Adam Wilcox, a 24-year-old Minnesota native & alum of @GopherHockey.

DDqyUzZW0AAXsxR.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

DDrDZbKWsAE7Ypn.jpg
DDrDZrOXkAEcY3d.jpg

Rochester is getting a lot of attention. It appears that he wants to put our young players in a competitive situation.

26Corner, Could you pace yourself. I'm falling behind with all the transactions. :lol: