Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

We're going to do something else on defense but at this point it's anyone's guess how it shakes down. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Bogo can find his game under Housely's system, which seems to match more with the things Bogo does well.

teams have been looking for Bogo to find his game for 7 years!

teams have been looking for Bogo to find his game for 7 years!

While that statement has some truth to it, there is plenty of blame to go around. NHL defensemen generally take much longer to develop. Bogo was rushed to the league and despite how long he's played, he's still only 26 years old. A decade ago, he might be entering his second or third season. Next season will be his tenth. I don't think he's ever played in the right system and has regularly played with non-complimentary partners, but I have seen flashes of his potential, especially the first dozen or so games he played with the Sabres after the trade.

While that statement has some truth to it, there is plenty of blame to go around. NHL defensemen generally take much longer to develop. Bogo was rushed to the league and despite how long he's played, he's still only 26 years old. A decade ago, he might be entering his second or third season. Next season will be his tenth. I don't think he's ever played in the right system, but he I have seen flashes of his potential, especially the first dozen or so games he played with the Sabres after the trade.

I agree with you, but at some point the player has to adapt. At this point, I wouldn't want the attempt to happen on my dime!

@SabresPR

The Sabres have announced the team’s schedule for its annual summer development camp from July 8 to 11.

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2017/06/24/sabres-announce-2017-development-camp-schedule/

Sat., July 8
2 to 3:30 p.m.
4 to 5:30 p.m.

Sun., July 9
10 to 11:15 a.m.
2 to 3:15 p.m.

Mon., July 10
10:30 to 11:45 a.m.
1:45 to 3:00 p.m.

Tue., July 11
French Connection Tournament: 9:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.

There's little chance he's going to be traded, so at this point the Sabres need to do their best to help him get better.

It's not an issue of getting better as it is more of an issue of modifying his game so that he can stay on the ice and emphasize his skills more. He is a good skater and has a hard shot, not necessarily accurate. Although he is built like a guerrilla he needs to tone down the muscle game and be more of a finesse player and puck mover. His desire to make crunching hits more often than not leaves him battered and bruised rather than being useful. He needs to tame his physical game down for his own sake and for his own utility as a player.

Without question he is not worth his contract and because of that he can't be moved. That doesn't mean that he can't be a good third pairing defenseman and serve a useful role on a unit that needs players.

It's not an issue of getting better as it is more of an issue of modifying his game so that he can stay on the ice and emphasize his skills more. He is a good skater and has a hard shot, not necessarily accurate. Although he is built like a guerrilla he needs to tone down the muscle game and be more of a finesse player and puck mover. His desire to make crunching hits more often than not leaves him battered and bruised rather than being useful. He needs to tame his physical game down for his own sake and for his own utility as a player.

Without question he is not worth his contract and because of that he can't be moved. That doesn't mean that he can't be a good third pairing defenseman and serve a useful role on a unit that needs players.

You're making a semantics argument but we agree on what his game currently lacks. The time you have to make a decision (especially for defensemen) in the NHL is exponentially shorter than it is at any other level of the game. The great ones (think Niklas Lidstrom) make very few mental mistakes and rarely ever throw a big hit.

I love when people get up in arms about day 2 picks in the NHL. The hit rate is ridiculously low because you're picking teenagers and trying to make an educated guess on whether or not they're willing to put in the work to be one of the 600 or so best players in the world.

Day 2 picks in the NHL rarely take less than 3 or 4 season to even break into the league. It's generally an even longer period before they make an impact.

I love when people get up in arms about day 2 picks in the NHL. The hit rate is ridiculously low because you're picking teenagers and trying to make an educated guess on whether or not they're willing to put in the work to be one of the 600 or so best players in the world.

ty

Day 2 picks in the NHL rarely take less than 3 or 4 season to even break into the league. It's generally an even longer period before they make an impact.

I get what you are saying, but the majority of the NHL rosters are made up of day 2 picks. I think it's pretty important.

Edited by thebug

You're making a semantics argument but we agree on what his game currently lacks. The time you have to make a decision (especially for defensemen) in the NHL is exponentially shorter than it is at any other level of the game. The great ones (think Niklas Lidstrom) make very few mental mistakes and rarely ever throw a big hit.

The best we can hope for is to get some useful play out of him as a probable third pairing player. He doesn't have the instincts to read the play (as you noted) that good defensemen have. Another player that lacked the ability to read plays is Kulikov who won't be with the team. He was notorious for making the wrong read and creating a wide gap in his zone for the opposition.

It's unreasonable to think that the Sabres are going to have a sterling blue line unit, even if Kane is traded for a defenseman. The best we can hope for is that with the incoming additions this unit can become competent to the point that it isn't a major liability as it was last year. The unit merely being average is a major step forward for this team.

Many people disagreed with me but I still believe that the Kulikov for Pysk trade was very damaging. I don't want to overstate how good Pysyk was because he certainly wasn't an upper-echelon player. But he was a smart and efficient player who moved the puck out of his zone. He would be a good player to have added to the mix.

I get what you are saying, but the majority of the NHL rosters are made up of day 2 picks. I think it's pretty important.

What % of them are on teams that initially drafted them?

What % of them are on teams that initially drafted them?

Doesn't matter, someone drafted them. If you hit on some 2 day picks, you don't have to spend more picks or assets later to acquire them. That's pretty important.

Thought the Sabres were going to go with a D man, but nice pick!

I think my Leafs got a steal at 17. Projected top 5 pick before getting mono last season. Skates like the wind. Hoping for Karlsson 2.0.

Hate the schedule in regards to Sabres vs Leafs rivalry. No games for 5 months and then 4 games in 29 days? Hopefully those games will be huge for both teams playoff hopes and result in amazing hockey!

Just listened to Chris Baker from Sabrespropspects on GR from Friday. He loved your boy, says it rare when a kid has a good 16 year old year and then tails off as a 17 yr old to come back and be a good player, but he felt this was the exception due to the illness.

He thought dude could go too 7, so good on the Leafs.

And that dude is pretty spot on with his hockey knowledge.

Just listened to Chris Baker from Sabrespropspects on GR from Friday. He loved your boy, says it rare when a kid has a good 16 year old year and then tails off as a 17 yr old to come back and be a good player, but he felt this was the exception due to the illness.

He thought dude could go too 7, so good on the Leafs.

And that dude is pretty spot on with his hockey knowledge.

Nice!

The theory that Bogosian will thrive in a new system is some serious wishful thinking. The guy has played 10 years in the NHL and his ceiling is a 3rd pair D-man. We're just paying him as a 1st pair, that's the big problem.

Edited by QCity

The theory that Bogosian will thrive in a new system is some serious wishful thinking. The guy has played 10 years in the NHL and his ceiling is a 3rd pair D-man. We're just paying him as a 1st pair, that's the big problem.

but i think that's it in a nutshell...forget what you are paying him, he could thrive as 5/6 with 12-16 minutes a game and some PP time. As I mentioned earlier if you combine his and McCabes salary, not too bad at a little over $6.5m. ( Jeremy White first got me thinking bout this).

and if he needs to play some 3/4 time in the beginning of the year while Guhle gets seasoned in the AHL, not a killer contract at all.

but i think that's it in a nutshell...forget what you are paying him, he could thrive as 5/6 with 12-16 minutes a game and some PP time. As I mentioned earlier if you combine his and McCabes salary, not too bad at a little over $6.5m. ( Jeremy White first got me thinking bout this).

and if he needs to play some 3/4 time in the beginning of the year while Guhle gets seasoned in the AHL, not a killer contract at all.

Maybe that would allow him to play a full season as well. He has averaged just under 48 games per season in his last 7 years. Not good value for that kind of cash.

The Guhle situation has me conflicted. Would it better for his development if he got an abundance of ice team for the first half of the season in the AHL? Probably so. But odds are that in training camp he will demonstrate that he is one of our top 4 to 6 defensemen. Then what? Although the prudent approach is to start him off in Rochester I wouldn't be surprised if he made the big club and got plenty of time of ice time as a third pairing player.

if you combine his and McCabes salary, not too bad at a little over $6.5m. ( Jeremy White first got me thinking bout this).

I don't know, I think combining a bad contract (Bogo) with a great contract (McCabe) to reach a reasonable average is faulty logic. I think Jeremy White must be running out of column idea in the offseason if he came up with that.

I don't know, I think combining a bad contract (Bogo) with a great contract (McCabe) to reach a reasonable average is faulty logic. I think Jeremy White must be running out of column idea in the offseason if he came up with that.

I don't know.....maybe White is on to something? I heard Grant Fuhr bragging about how he and Wayne combined for almost 220 points in 81-82 making him the highest scoring goalie.

i am not saying its what you want to do, just that the contract is not so bad you want to buy the guy out, or give up a first to get someone else to take the contract.

@SabresPR

The Sabres have tendered a qualifying offer to six restricted free agents.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (June 26, 2017) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has tendered a qualifying offer to the following restricted free agents:

Forwards Marcus Foligno, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, Evan Rodrigues; defenseman Nathan Beaulieu; goaltender Robin Lehner.

So do we think Nylander plays with the big league team this season?

My gut no, dude needs to add some and strength and play another year AHL, but then again I thought Samson needed a year in the AHL and he proved me wrong ...in other words...i have no clue!

My gut no, dude needs to add some and strength and play another year AHL, but then again I thought Samson needed a year in the AHL and he proved me wrong ...in other words...i have no clue!

There will be a lot of competition at wing. Bailey, Baptist, Fasching, Rodriguez and who knows if Kane will still be here. So who knows??

There will be a lot of competition at wing. Bailey, Baptist, Fasching, Rodriguez and who knows if Kane will still be here. So who knows??

One thing that fares well in Nylander's favor is that he has speed; most of the competition at wing are leftovers from Murray's size obsession.

The only real speed threat that looks to be on the roster is Ennis; this team needs more speed on the boundary to create opportunities in transition. There are scant few guys that can keep up with the playmaking ability this team has down the middle with ROR/Jack/Samson.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I'd really like to see Reinhart centering the 3rd line in '17-'18. It'll give him more opportunities to go against 3rd pairings and pile up points a la the Roy/Vanek/Maxim line in 2007.

Pair ROR with Okposo and a speed forward from FA like Chiasson. Give Jack Kane (or Bailey/Fasching if Kane is traded) and Nylander (or Baptiste if Alex isn't ready). Ennis can play 3rd line wing with Samson and Moulson. You can then roll out a 4th line of Girgensons/Larsson/Foligno that can play the checking role and also offer scoring potential.

@SabresPR

The Sabres have tendered a qualifying offer to six restricted free agents.

So they had two chances to dump Lehner and they opted against it twice? I hope they consider him a Kelly Holcomb like stop gap. A guy that can have a really good game occasionally but mostly sucks and you just play a waiting game until something better comes along. Which shouldn't be long.

So they had two chances to dump Lehner and they opted against it twice? I hope they consider him a Kelly Holcomb like stop gap. A guy that can have a really good game occasionally but mostly sucks and you just play a waiting game until something better comes along. Which shouldn't be long.

I'm unclear as to your feelings about Lehner. Could you please clarify?