Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Do you think he will stay all four years, and we'll end up with another Cal Peterson situation?

That's so incredibly rare and essentially never happens with the first round picks. You'd be lucky to see more than one in any given offseason and it's always a mid to late round guy.

That's so incredibly rare and essentially never happens with the first round picks. You'd be lucky to see more than one in any given offseason and it's always a mid to late round guy.

Thanks for the reassurance. Interesting little tid-bit re: Mittlestadt. My close friend's nephew, Jake Begley, won the Frank Brimsek Award (best HS goalie in Minnesota) this year. Casey won the Minnesota Mr. Hockey award. They are good friends and have played together and against each other a ton.

I met Jake a couple weeks before the draft, and he was talking about how Casey was going to turn out to be the best forward taken this year. I told him I've never heard of him, and that I thought the Sabres would take a defenseman at #8. His reply was "Casey will be long gone before #8."

To my surprise, I got a text forwarded from my friend (from Jake...I know that's confusing) saying "your Sabres just won the lottery!"

FWIW...I thought that was kind of cool.

Hard to know what to do on Samson...big year, you pay more long term. Not so big year, maybe it comes down to him vs Kane or keeping both with a smaller number for Sam.

I'm hoping he has a big year and they find a way to keep him long term. He's got Hossa-type potential.

Thanks! Screw him.

Why? The kid was a marginal prospect when drafted. For that reason, he sticks around in college to get the most of the time there. Once you've hit the point where you've done your 4 years, have developed into a wanted commodity, and can become a free agent, why wouldn't you? At most, he walked away from one year's worth of an AHL salary that he would have earned by signed last summer. Any one of us would prefer to have as many options as possible when starting out. Why do we turn around and hold that against a kid like Petersen. No one likes losing a prospect for nothing, but that's business.

As for the thought of Mittelstadt doing the same that people like to throw around, the circumstances are very different. Petersen was a late bloomer who had minimal value when first drafted. It's that crap shoot draft pick that you leave alone and let stew a bit. Mittelstadt is a known commodity at this point. Both the team and the player are aware of their standing. He stands to gain a lot of money by turning pro early. He'll get the maximum allowed deal and be free of the entry level restrictions after 3 years. So if he signs next summer, he no longer has salary restrictions by the time he is 22. Petersen won't be free of those restrictions until he is 24 years old. So if Mittelstadt were to go that route, he's walked away from 3 years worth of that entry level salary, as well as 2 more where he has a multi-million dollar contract. He can if he wants, but that's a hell of a lot to walk away from.

Why? The kid was a marginal prospect when drafted. For that reason, he sticks around in college to get the most of the time there. Once you've hit the point where you've done your 4 years, have developed into a wanted commodity, and can become a free agent, why wouldn't you? At most, he walked away from one year's worth of an AHL salary that he would have earned by signed last summer. Any one of us would prefer to have as many options as possible when starting out. Why do we turn around and hold that against a kid like Petersen. No one likes losing a prospect for nothing, but that's business.

As for the thought of Mittelstadt doing the same that people like to throw around, the circumstances are very different. Petersen was a late bloomer who had minimal value when first drafted. It's that crap shoot draft pick that you leave alone and let stew a bit. Mittelstadt is a known commodity at this point. Both the team and the player are aware of their standing. He stands to gain a lot of money by turning pro early. He'll get the maximum allowed deal and be free of the entry level restrictions after 3 years. So if he signs next summer, he no longer has salary restrictions by the time he is 22. Petersen won't be free of those restrictions until he is 24 years old. So if Mittelstadt were to go that route, he's walked away from 3 years worth of that entry level salary, as well as 2 more where he has a multi-million dollar contract. He can if he wants, but that's a hell of a lot to walk away from.

perfect summation!

THIRD ANNUAL PROSPECTS CHALLENGE SET FOR SEPT. 8-11

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 13, 2017) The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team will again host the Prospects Challenge from September 8 to 11 at HarborCenter.

The Boston Bruins and New Jersey Devils will be joined by the Pittsburgh Penguins to compete with the Sabres in the round-robin challenge featuring prospects from each team. The participating teams will each play three games during the course of the event, which will be held entirely at HarborCenter.

7-21: MARCO SCANDELLA ON WGR (7:28)

New #Sabres defenseman Marco Scandella joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Scandella - Had hip surgery in the offseason, but working to get healthy. It's super exciting to come to a team with a lot of skill up front

Scandella - Jason (Pominville) told me it's a first class organization and that I will love playing in Buffalo. It's a new challenge for me

Scandella - I think we can be a surprising team here in Buffalo #Sabres

Scandella - I feel like there will be a great opportunity to take my game to a whole new level #Sabres

Scandella - I'm excited to play in the East. My family won't have to stay up until 1am to watch my games. #Sabres

Scandella - I want to show that fans that I have another gear in my game. I think the #Sabres is the perfect team to come to.

Scandella - Housley did a great job in Nashville. He has so much to teach and I'm all ears. Can't wait to meet him #Sabres

Baptists has got to be on that list somewhere!

The Russian defenseman, Victor Antipin, was left off of that 2018 roster. I'm anxious to see how he plays. Would love to see a Bogo resurrection under the new coach!

Baptists has got to be on that list somewhere!

The Russian defenseman, Victor Antipin, was left off of that 2018 roster. I'm anxious to see how he plays. Would love to see a Bogo resurrection under the new coach!

Mittelstadt should be on the roster by then as well.

Mittelstadt should be on the roster by then as well.

Both Mittelstadt and Nylander are exciting prospects to wait for. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nylander being called up this season. I see Guhle being called up this year if he doesn't make the big club when the season starts.

@BuffaloSabres

The Sabres have agreed to terms with goaltender Robin Lehner on a one-year deal.

The Sabres have signed goaltender Robin Lehner to a one-year contract worth $4 million.

https://t.co/MDOZ33gBIn

OMFNT.

@BuffaloSabres

In his own words -- Thank you from Kyle Okposo: http://bufsabres.co/5UutpO

DFhZOHrXgAEBRzW.jpg

Super classy. All the best to hm.

Edited by 4merper4mer

7-25: ROBIN LEHNER ON WGR (12:14)

#Sabres goalie Robin Lehner joins @TheInstigators next on WGR!

Lehner - I'm very excited to get another year in Buffalo. I'm happy here, I like this team a lot, & there's a lot of potential here #Sabres

Lehner - at the end of the day, I wanted to be in Buffalo. I want to keep building with this team. 1-year is fine. #Sabres

Lehner - I'm confident in my abilities to be a good goalie in this league. I'm going to focus on this season and see what happens #Sabres

Lehner - last year was a big disappointment. I've taken some time this offseason to let that sink in. #Sabres

Lehner - I've had a good talk with Botterill and Housley, I'm excited with the direction this team is heading #Sabres

Lehner - I'm very happy Andrew Allen is still here in Buffalo. We've worked well together and he's helped my game. #Sabres

Lehner - I think team success can lead to personal success. We have to keep working together and see where it takes us #Sabres

So what is Lehner's status at end of next year? Is he still RFA and eligible for arbitration again?

On the surface, I really like this deal...only downside is he has a huge year and you're paying more in year 2 ..i liken it to Sammy not being getting the 5th year, which i agree with