Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

@CraigCustance

About a dozen teams have already shown interest in Dmitry Kulikov. Back injury wiped out most of last year but ready to go for next season.

@Sportsnet

Latest 30 Thoughts from @FriedgeHNIC: What is the trade value of a first-round pick? http://sprtsnt.ca/2thn5o0

12. On the blue line: the Rangers and Brendan Smith appear headed towards a deal. I never really sensed Calgary and Michael Stone were that close, so he’s likely headed to the market. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in Trevor Daley. It’s believed at least two Canadian teams — Ottawa and Winnipeg — are looking at Dmitry Kulikov as a left-handed option. He played for Guy Boucher in junior, and there’s no way last year is a true indication of his play. Karl Alzner will be an interesting one. One team indicated the price may be between $4-$5 million, and that gives him more options. And a few teams are curious to see if Buffalo makes the biggest pitch for Kevin Shattenkirk.

14. It looks like Minnesota, Pittsburgh or retirement for Matt Cullen, but it would not be a shock if Buffalo called him. GM Jason Botterill knows him and he’d be an excellent fit. A centre who can teach and still play is never bad. Can see the Sabres looking at Brian Boyle for the same reason.

McDavid's huge deal will certainly have an impact on the term and money Eichel gets from the Sabres:

@FriedgeHNIC

Further to @TSNRyanRishaug McDavid mention, hearing deal will be around $13.25M for 8 yrs. Big win for EDM to get that term, as opposed to 5

Putting nearly 20% of your cap on one player doesn't allow for a great supporting cast. Your correct Eichels price just went up.

Thats not my plan, I commented on McDavid and yes Jacks price just went up.

I took your "20% doesn't allow for great supporting cast" as advocacy for Eichel dump. Glad you don't support that but I get what you mean. I think Eichel is the real deal and then some. McDavid too. The Colts on the other hand have a big problem.

I took your "20% doesn't allow for great supporting cast" as advocacy for Eichel dump. Glad you don't support that but I get what you mean. I think Eichel is the real deal and then some. McDavid too. The Colts on the other hand have a big problem.

They can't lose Jack or they might as well fold the tent. If he can get with a good line it could be like Lala and Molginy (sp)

The Guhle situation has me conflicted. Would it better for his development if he got an abundance of ice team for the first half of the season in the AHL? Probably so. But odds are that in training camp he will demonstrate that he is one of our top 4 to 6 defensemen. Then what? Although the prudent approach is to start him off in Rochester I wouldn't be surprised if he made the big club and got plenty of time of ice time as a third pairing player.

Just listened to an interview with new Asst GM/Amerks GM Randy Sexton from GR a few days ago. Guhle is playing in Rochester, not a doubt in my mind...and i think for a good little while.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sexton-wants-build-future-buffalo-botterill

Putting nearly 20% of your cap on one player doesn't allow for a great supporting cast. Your correct Eichels price just went up.

And think if someone came hard at Draisaitll . They would have like $24M in two players.

Chiarelli already said he would match any predatory offers...so make em pay! If I was the GM of another team in the same Divison or conference , to me offering ole Leon be a no brainer.

@WGR550

According to Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) #Sabres draft pick Cal Petersen is expected to sign with the Los Angeles Kings. #NHLFreeAgency

@lakingsinsider

Apologies for misspelling - Cal Petersen. Formerly a fifth rounder of Buffalo. Three years with the Irish. 23-12-5 / 2.22 / .926 last year.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@Russostrib

Hearing free-agent goalie Chad Johnson very likely returning to the #sabres

Chad's a good bridge backup as Ullmark/Luukkonen develop elsewhere.

Just listened to an interview with new Asst GM/Amerks GM Randy Sexton from GR a few days ago. Guhle is playing in Rochester, not a doubt in my mind...and i think for a good little while.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sexton-wants-build-future-buffalo-botterill

And think if someone came hard at Draisaitll . They would have like $24M in two players.

Chiarelli already said he would match any predatory offers...so make em pay! If I was the GM of another team in the same Divison or conference , to me offering ole Leon be a no brainer.

Did he say anything about Nelson? As still baffled why we kept him in Rochester all year last year unless there were some expansion draft repercussions I wasn't aware of.

Congrats to Dave Andreychuk.

Isn't it amazing to think about that late 80s/early 90s Sabres forward group with Turgeon/LaFontaine, Mogilny, Andreychuk and Hawerchuk.

That was a stacked group.

One has to wonder WHAT IF we never traded Andreychuk for Fuhr and just stuck with Hasek.

Did he say anything about Nelson? As still baffled why we kept him in Rochester all year last year unless there were some expansion draft repercussions I wasn't aware of.

One has to wonder WHAT IF we never traded Andreychuk for Fuhr and just stuck with Hasek.

Because he was flat out terrible and showed himself to be not even close to being NHL ready.

Hasek didn't emerge until Fuhr got hurt.

Even though Toronto and Buffalo were in separate conferences then, and I was probably only 6 months old, it infuriates me that Toronto won that trade. They were one OT away from the Cup Final that year.

And I like that Ocho Cinco is coming back here. Good backup.

6-29: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (10:27)

#Sabres head coach @philhousley6 joins @TheInstigators next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - we're trying to look at different things in free agency & find the best fits for our team, trying to make our team better #Sabres

Housley: "We're getting close" On assistant coach search

Housley: "I'm looking at NHL playing experience and NHL coaching experience."

Housley - We want the defensemen to get involved in the attack. We want to incorporate them in the o-zone, not just on the blue line #Sabres

Phil Housley on advice for the #Sabres defense: "Just getting used to the system we want to put in place. Patience is going to be a virtue."

Housley: "My first priority was to reach out to the players and I did connect with all of them."

Housley - I've had conversations with all of the players on where they are with this team, trying to build a relationship right away #Sabres

Housley - I'm excited to watch film on all of our players this summer to get a read on where they're at #Sabres

Phil Housley on Brendan Guhle: "I've heard great things about him. He's a great skater, very mobile."

Housley "Excited to watch film on Guhle. I've heard he's a terrific skater. Opportunity is going to be important as will first impressions."

You cannot be serious.

I don't follow Minnesota, or the offseason really, but wouldn't they be enticed by Mittelstadt being from Minnesota? I just don't know what the value is.

Weren't many other Sabres fans (besides myself) wanting to trade #8 for an NHL ready, top-4 defenseman?

Edited by EersN'Bills

I don't follow Minnesota, or the offseason really, but wouldn't they be enticed by Mittelstadt being from Minnesota? I just don't know what the value is.

Weren't many other Sabres fans (besides myself) wanting to trade #8 for an NHL ready, top-4 defenseman?

Mittelstadt is going to be a top six core player in the future in the forward corp. Trading him for Scandella isn't going to make the Sabres a contender in 2017-18.

Mittelstadt is going to be a top six core player in the future in the forward corp. Trading him for Scandella isn't going to make the Sabres a contender in 2017-18.

Agreed. Mittelstadt is a top five pick who fell because he couldn't do a pull up at the combine. Meanwhile, his hockey talent is the same as before the combine. If you don't know hockey, why propose silly trades? Same folks who are in a hurry to get rid of Samson for D help.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::death:

unless its for less than $6M, then its

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::thumbsup:

Yeah, and I can't see how he comes to the Sabres for less than 7.

Edit: Some on the Sabres' boards are suggesting GMJB must have a trade of Bogo worked out if he's taking on Shattenkirk.

I would be kinda surprised if he was able to move Bogo's contract and though overpaid, I think he might flourish as a third pair guy in Housley's system.

Edited by Dr. Who

@Russostrib

Still getting indications something's brewing between #mnwild and #sabres involving at least Marco Scandella

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Marco Scandella heading to BUF from MIN.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

No trade call done yet but assuming it proceeds without hiccups, it's Pominville and Scandella to BUF, Ennis and Foligno to MIN.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

No trade call done yet but assuming it proceeds without hiccups, it's Pominville and Scandella to BUF, Ennis and Foligno to MIN.

Just got this on GR text...I am good with this.

Just looked at contracts

$5.6 for two years for Jason...livable for the little extra from Ennis

$4.0M for Scandella for 3 more years...awesome!

Edited by plenzmd1