NFL may move the combine to Cali in 2018

Interesting, never thought it would leave Indy

http://thespun.com/news/nfl-considering-california-combine-move?ads=off

If the combine moves to the left coast, the plan would then be to shift it into prime time to maximize viewership and ad revenue. Currently, the combine is televised live on the NFL Network during the day, with replays at night.

Additionally, NFL sources told The Spun that while the consensus around the league is fine with a move to prime time, there is a strong contingent of teams that dont want to move it out of Indy. The reason? It is centrally located.

If you watch even one second of the combine, I really feel bad for the life you live. That's as pathetic as anything I've heard.

I watch the combine for the same reason that I watch the draft. I have friends who go through the process every year and I am interested in seeing their performance and successes. I don't think there is anything sad or pathetic about that.

what is the point of such a rude comment? It says more about you than the people you are judging.

Agreed.

I watch the combine for the same reason that I watch the draft. I have friends who go through the process every year and I am interested in seeing their performance and successes. I don't think there is anything sad or pathetic about that.

I personally don't watch the combine but this seems like a perfectly valid reason to me.

Edited by hondo in seattle

A prime time event?

I don't think that's a good idea.

The coverage is about 6-7 hours long.

Are people back east really going to stay up until 1:00 a.m. to watch the Tight Ends run the gauntlet?

Bad idea. Can't afford to have The Big One hit and all the good new, up and coming QB's fall into the ocean at once. I hope they protect this upcoming crop somehow. Bubble wrap is not enough. The stakes are high. :)

If you watch even one second of the combine, I really feel bad for the life you live. That's as pathetic as anything I've heard.

And the "Dick of the Day" award goes to..... Not hard to guess. :thumbsup: How about people who like football in general watch the combine? I like watching certain parts of it as I'm sure a lot of others do. Just because it's not your cup of tea so to speak doesn't mean the people who do watch it lead pathetic lives. Also, if your life is the more interesting than ours, what world or life changing activity do you have going on at the end of February/early March when the combine is taking place?

Interesting, never thought it would leave Indy

http://thespun.com/news/nfl-considering-california-combine-move?ads=off

Wow...heard the director of the combine on the radio a while back and he said it would be pretty hard for another place to duplicate what they do because they have got Indy's buy in from a lot of hospitals, etc that work together...

@mchappell51

Just talked w/NFL Scouting prez Jeff Foster about possible Combine move to LA in '18. Said contract ties event to Indy at least thru '19.

It seems like the combine is just as much about agents convening with NFL personnel execs in the weeks leading up to FA as it is the workouts, interviews and medicals

Edited by YoloinOhio

I live outside Indy and have gone down there a couple times when the combine is going on. Other than Indy being centrally located, there are tons of hotels, convention center and Lucas Oil all within walking distance. Makes it incredibly easy for the league to get teams, players, media to meetings, workouts, etc very easily. Can't imagine that happening in LA.

I live outside Indy and have gone down there a couple times when the combine is going on. Other than Indy being centrally located, there are tons of hotels, convention center and Lucas Oil all within walking distance. Makes it incredibly easy for the league to get teams, players, media to meetings, workouts, etc very easily. Can't imagine that happening in LA.

When was the last time you were in LA? Downtown is a boomtown madhouse with buildings, including many hotels, constantly being built. Between USC and Union Station there is Staples Center, Galen Center, the Colosseum, the LA Convention Center, Dodger Stadium as well as the football field at USC. Union Station is the rail hub for the area, with subway and surface rail connections. The Purple Line will soon connect downtown to UCLA. There is already rail to Pasadena where the Rose Bowl is. Oh, and Fox Sports and the NFLN are in LA.It's also home to some of the best sports medicine practitioners, world class hospitals and probably half the sports agents in the country.

I wouldn't like to move the Combine to LA, but to suggest LA couldn't handle it is an extreme example of "alternative facts."

absolutely which is why the SB was also very successful there. That stadium is my idea of perfect too.

When was the last time you were in LA? Downtown is a boomtown madhouse with buildings, including many hotels, constantly being built. Between USC and Union Station there is Staples Center, Galen Center, the Colosseum, the LA Convention Center, Dodger Stadium as well as the football field at USC. Union Station is the rail hub for the area, with subway and surface rail connections. The Purple Line will soon connect downtown to UCLA. There is already rail to Pasadena where the Rose Bowl is. Oh, and Fox Sports and the NFLN are in LA.It's also home to some of the best sports medicine practitioners, world class hospitals and probably half the sports agents in the country.

I wouldn't like to move the Combine to LA, but to suggest LA couldn't handle it is an extreme example of "alternative facts."

You know a lot about LA. I'm sure it can handle the combine but from your description venues are spread out. You can walk to everything in Indy which is why people like it for the combine.

You know a lot about LA. I'm sure it can handle the combine but from your description venues are spread out. You can walk to everything in Indy which is why people like it for the combine.

If LA can hold Super Bowls, they can do the combine. I do kind of like the idea of moving it around, but it's less of a spectator event that a SB or the draft. Indy is centrally located. How much "fan exposure" is there? If it's all business, no fans invited (not that I'd go), why move it? (Despite some economic benefit.) Indy seems to have a perfect facility and surrounding amenities.

If LA can hold Super Bowls, they can do the combine. I do kind of like the idea of moving it around, but it's less of a spectator event that a SB or the draft. Indy is centrally located. How much "fan exposure" is there? If it's all business, no fans invited (not that I'd go), why move it? (Despite some economic benefit.) Indy seems to have a perfect facility and surrounding amenities.

I am not arguing that LA can or cannot hold the combine. I am merely saying the teams and players love it in Indy because everything associated with the event is within walking distance and very convenient.

I am not arguing that LA can or cannot hold the combine. I am merely saying the teams and players love it in Indy because everything associated with the event is within walking distance and very convenient.

...and I agree.

A prime time event?

I don't think that's a good idea.

The coverage is about 6-7 hours long.

Are people back east really going to stay up until 1:00 a.m. to watch the Tight Ends run the gauntlet?

I agree. Only die hard fans watch the combine anyways so I dont really see the point to this. They already have their demographic, I don't see the combine becoming any bigger than it already is. Then again, I could be wrong.

I agree. Only die hard fans watch the combine anyways so I dont really see the point to this. They already have their demographic, I don't see the combine becoming any bigger than it already is. Then again, I could be wrong.

Exactly.

I record the combine so I can skip through having to listen to all of the "experts".

I just care about the drills.