Welcome Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they hired 2 great candidates. The scouts are the tougher part to replace because no one will okay a lateral move. We are going to be inexperienced there. At the same time it is easier to hire an entry level person or middle management than the people leading the department. Just keep doing well...

This move was a lateral move that no one would ok.

"It's generally a pretty lateral move, but Brian was excited about building this and starting this," Beane told Buffalobills.com. "I think partnering with me and Joe was attractive. I know Brian and who he is to the core and trust that he's going to be a big time asset."

Its not as difficult as you are making it out to be. These fo know that if they continously block moves for bright young up and comers regardless of position that these guys will leave or go else where to begin with.

This move was a lateral move that no one would ok.

"It's generally a pretty lateral move, but Brian was excited about building this and starting this," Beane told Buffalobills.com. "I think partnering with me and Joe was attractive. I know Brian and who he is to the core and trust that he's going to be a big time asset."

Its not as difficult as you are making it out to be. These fo know that if they continously block moves for bright young up and comers regardless of position that these guys will leave or go else where to begin with.

I'm not trying to make it overly difficult. At the same time I understand the process as well as anyone here (without sounding like an A-hole). I spent 8 years in a front office and have the 1st hand knowledge of how it works. It isn't as easy as just call some people and fill out the group. They are off to a GREAT start. If it continues this way we should all be thrilled. They still need to add A LOT more people that share in their philosophy. It will not be an easy task. That doesn't mean that it can't be done. My whole point this entire time is that you need to cross all of you "t's" and dot your "i's." There isn't room for mistakes. It's a difficult enough business as it is. They are really flourishing at the moment but there is a lot of work still to do. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Having actual experience does NOT make you an A-hole. But it does not preclude that option either! :)

But seriously, I get where you are coming from. We've got some great chiefs, but we still need some awesome guys who will be hitting the road and doing the dirty work. Fingers crossed for the best. You can only build successfully through the draft if you have the best intel.

I'm not try to make it overly difficult. At the same time I understand the process as well as anyone here (without sound like an A-hole). I spent 8 years in a front office and have the 1st hand knowledge of how it works. It isn't as easy as just call some people and fill out the group. They are off to a GREAT start. If it continues this way we should all be thrilled. They still need to add A LOT more people that share in their philosophy. It will not be an easy task. That doesn't mean that it can't be done. My whole point this entire time is that you need to cross all of you "t's" and dot your "i's." There isn't room for mistakes. It's a difficult enough business as it is. They are really flourishing at the moment but there is a lot of work still to do.

Thats nice. Im not trying to sound like a know it all, but theres is more than one way to skin a cat. In all the other threads I hintes that they have had a wish list all along of people that share there vision. If another team blocks it oh well move on to the next person that shares the vision, philosophy, and loyalty that these folks do. It isnt all doom and gloom.

Yea some organizations are likely to block a move. Not all. These organizations know that in order to keep high quality people thye have to allow them the opportunity for advancement, if that means in title, pay, or what have you regardless of if it is a lateral move or not.

Im not worried. This group from the get go likely had a plan. Mcdermott doesnt seem like a loud mouth blowhard that rests on his past accomplishments as Rex did. To the contrary Mcdermott seems like the kind of guy hat had a plan, work ethic for days, and the determination to do everything in his power to put this team in a position to succeed.

Beane shares that same vibe.

It might be these guys first rodeo per se, but they are quickly putting together something very promising and there is literally zero need to worry.

Thats nice. Im not trying to sound like a know it all, but theres is more than one way to skin a cat. In all the other threads I hintes that they have had a wish list all along of people that share there vision. If another team blocks it oh well move on to the next person that shares the vision, philosophy, and loyalty that these folks do. It isnt all doom and gloom.

Yea some organizations are likely to block a move. Not all. These organizations know that in order to keep high quality people thye have to allow them the opportunity for advancement, if that means in title, pay, or what have you regardless of if it is a lateral move or not.

Im not worried. This group from the get go likely had a plan. Mcdermott doesnt seem like a loud mouth blowhard that rests on his past accomplishments as Rex did. To the contrary Mcdermott seems like the kind of guy hat had a plan, work ethic for days, and the determination to do everything in his power to put this team in a position to succeed.

It might be these guys first rodeo per se, but they are quickly putting together something very promising and there is literally zero need to worry.

To be clear they certainly have a plan and are off to a fantastic start. I don't see teams letting scouts go very easily. They don't have to. They are more likely to let people go for advancement but there are only so many advanced positions. They've flourished with the top people which is the most important part. I'm not even that concerned with the rest of the group. I maintain that they should have waited for Beane to be aboard to get his opinion. There was no downside. It might not matter at all. It's their 1st time and they will make some mistakes. In general I am really happy with the way that things are going (at least on paper). The Bills are assembling a group that is highly respected around the league. It is a welcome change from Rex and his empty promises. I hope that it continues.

Love it, thanks Pegs!!! Russ Brandon is becoming more and more irrelevant every day! :)

Love it, thanks Pegs!!! Russ Brandon is becoming more and more irrelevant every day! :)

trust me, the new FO has zero ties to Russ Brandon, and won't ever really need his services imo...if nothing else, I'm assuming, at least, by default, he has been phased out of football ops completely.

Good post.

I feel this has been in the works for a rather long time. More than days.

just dialing in the details and then answering the call from Pegula.

feels sharp and focused right now.

Cool vibe

not entirely accurate

not far off either

Good post.

I feel this has been in the works for a rather long time. More than days.

just dialing in the details and then answering the call from Pegula.

feels sharp and focused right now.

Cool vibe

It does feel like they had a plan, and it's all happening with a bunch of smart young guys on the same page. The beginning of something new. And hopefully wildly successful in time.

Not gonna lie, I didnt care much for the schoen hire, but this is a really good one for us. I bet the main reason he is coming here is because pegulas threw a bunch of money at him

You don't know anything about Schoen.. Assuming you do is foolish.

It does feel like they had a plan, and it's all happening with a bunch of smart young guys on the same page. The beginning of something new. And hopefully wildly successful in time.

Really? A plan? A very weird plan to to wait a couple of years to fire your entire coaching staff, the GM, and all of the scouts. Very very strange plan.

so we still need Overdorf because?????

Well, obviously, he remains to give people something to complain about in the Gaines thread! :)

Let it all play out. there are a lot of moving parts right now.

Really? A plan? A very weird plan to to wait a couple of years to fire your entire coaching staff, the GM, and all of the scouts. Very very strange plan.

I hope youre either drunk or just kidding. Sarcasm font? Yes, they whiffed on Rex. I did HATE that hire, but because he was a Bill tried to get behind it. My gut was right. That was years ago, and you want to go back to THAT, and NOW? Do you have a problem with any new FO hires? I'm saying the non-Rex new FO has a plan, and the owners are letting the put it in place.

Some people....

EDIT: I'm guessing you took "they" to be the Pegulas(?), but I meant the new FO. Either way, the owners hired new people to put this in place.

Edited by Augie

OK late to the thread, but this seems like a great hire. Is this a promotion for the guy? Seems like he was fairly high up in Houston too but I haven't seen exactly what his job was.

Beane said he was glad to get him, as it was basically a lateral hire. Apparently he has roots in the area, but he MUST feel good about the FO being built, or you stay put with a division champ. He was reportedly a good option for GM.

Edited by Augie

how about no!!! He is a product of Mike Leach... stay away!!!

Dare not blaspheme the name of Mike Leach around here or The Senator may have your soul.

"Let's go Bills!!! 19-0 baby!!!"

I'm not trying to make it overly difficult. At the same time I understand the process as well as anyone here (without sounding like an A-hole). I spent 8 years in a front office and have the 1st hand knowledge of how it works. It isn't as easy as just call some people and fill out the group. They are off to a GREAT start. If it continues this way we should all be thrilled. They still need to add A LOT more people that share in their philosophy. It will not be an easy task. That doesn't mean that it can't be done. My whole point this entire time is that you need to cross all of you "t's" and dot your "i's." There isn't room for mistakes. It's a difficult enough business as it is. They are really flourishing at the moment but there is a lot of work still to do.

Honest question. Do scouts really work under contract? Or are they simply employees? Would seem to me that a lower level scout or area/regional scout could up and quit and move to a different team whenever he/she wanted. Granted, they probably wouldn't do that without getting something extra for it, like higher pay or better assignment, but could a team really "block" that person from making their own decision?

Anyone have ideas what his role was in the disastrous Brock Osweiler deal? He would be our VP of Pro player personnel...

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/06/john-mcclain-both-bill-obrien-and-rick-smith-wanted-brock-osweiler/

It looks like the GM and HC wanted him. It says nothing about Gaine in this article at least but will we ever know? I was interested to see who wanted him also.

Any real evidence to support that Gaines was a good hire?

Or is everyone just saying it was a good hire because he came from from a good organization?

It depends on your opinion really do you think the Texans have a solid roster? He was instrumental in getting the pieces needed, including Osweiler even though it doesn't mention him as being a main factor in pursuing Osweiler, I can't fault him for trying though.