Welcome Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@albertbreer

Brian Gaine had strong relationships and worked well with Bill O'Brien and the Texans coaches. There'll be a void to fill there, to be sure.

Wow! Call me impressed by this hire. They seem to really be putting egos aside and trying to build an outstanding organization this time. I'm thinking we are finally headed in the right direction.

Any word on that McLaughlin guy who is a scouting savant with drinking problem.

That would be icing on the cake. Dunno how he'd keep off the booze in buffalo though. Worth a shot if he's interested imo

Love this hire! He has been an assistant GM in the past, he was the Director of Player Personnel at Houston and chose to leave them in a lateral move to come to Buffalo! He has put together a good roster in Houston. I know they play in a weak division but they lost their QB last year and their best player in JJ Watt and they still won their division for the second year in a row. He is well respected around the league and we almost hired him to be our GM and we still got him anyway. Really liking the way our front office is coming together. Hopefully, it will translate onto the field.

Love this hire! He has been an assistant GM in the past, he was the Director of Player Personnel at Houston and chose to leave them in a lateral move to come to Buffalo! He has put together a good roster in Houston. I know they play in a weak division but they lost their QB last year and their best player in JJ Watt and they still won their division for the second year in a row. He is well respected around the league and we almost hired him to be our GM and we still got him anyway. Really liking the way our front office is coming together. Hopefully, it will translate onto the field.

it is technically a promotion per the Houston Chronicle -- every FO varies a bit with titles and responsibilities so not sure how much more he will do than he did before

Texans owner signed Osweiler without informing coach and GM

True story...I was on a flight from Houston and sat next to Bill O'Brien the day that happened. I mentioned it to him (I know, obnoxious, whatever) and he glared at me with a death stare. He did not seem excited at all, maybe it was the annoying Bills fan bothering him.

@tompelissero

Sources: #Bills are hiring #Texans exec Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel. They interviewed him for GM job. Strong scouting background.

@alexmarvez

Brian Gaine is leaving @HoustonTexans front office to become @buffalobills vice president of player personnel, team source tells @sn_nfl

@buffalobills

We've hired Brian Gaine as our new Vice President of Player Personnel.

Gaine's background: http://bufbills.co/EysSMp

OMG! This is a fantastic hire. He has helped bring a ton of talent to the Texans. I would have been happy with him as GM. I am very very impressed by this hire. Bills seem to be putting together a great staff top to bottom (front office and coaching staff).

I am getting super excited! lol

@tompelissero

Sources: #Bills are hiring #Texans exec Brian Gaine as VP of Player Personnel. They interviewed him for GM job. Strong scouting background.

@alexmarvez

Brian Gaine is leaving @HoustonTexans front office to become @buffalobills vice president of player personnel, team source tells @sn_nfl

@buffalobills

We've hired Brian Gaine as our new Vice President of Player Personnel.

Gaine's background: http://bufbills.co/EysSMp

This is impossible. The sky is falling. There arent 17 people that are more qualified, united with the current GM/HC, and share the same vision in the whole world. We are doomed I tell you.

SARCASM INTENDED

it is technically a promotion per the Houston Chronicle -- every FO varies a bit with titles and responsibilities so not sure how much more he will do than he did before

Its a slight promotion in title. He goes from Director of Player Personnel in Carolina to VP of Pro Personnel in Buffalo. His responsibilities are essentially the same I believe in both positions. Even Beane commented that it was pretty much a lateral move for Gaine, which makes it exciting that he chose to come to Buffalo. He obviously wanted to be here and believes in the direction the organization is going in.

...must say this FO/Administration/Coaching staff is coming together quite nicely with "young gun 40 something FOOTBALL guys" in charge....NOTHING like this since Polian firing..of course the TBD "minions' are sure to weigh in with their two cents as expected....should be some comical yap.....almost like BBMB II all over again.....throw in their usual barbs about the "clueless Pegulas"......on paper, lookin' good....stay tuned.........

All these hires seem to be targeting younger, hungry, yet with plenty of experience. We might be seeing the makings of something we can be proud of long term here folks. This whole new team has a completely different vibe from what was here in the past.

I am not quite sure why the Pegulas didn't do this from the get go, but better late than never,...and TBH I thought never was straying to look like a real possibility.

Fingers crossed!

Anyone have ideas what his role was in the disastrous Brock Osweiler deal? He would be our VP of Pro player personnel...

There's a few different versions of the story out there, but none I have read really link Gaine much at all to the deal.

Most stories say it was BOB and Rick Smith working together, or Rick Smith acting more on his own.

I don't think they were even allowed to meet with him before signing him (the Texans owner said something to that account) I guess it was a pretty rash/hasty decision because they were in a bit of a bidding war with Denver (I believe Denver dropped out of the bidding war after offering roughly $16M per year on s multi year deal).

Honestly, I'm not worried about it. Gaine has helped bring a ton of talent to Houston.

Its a slight promotion in title. He goes from Director of Player Personnel in Carolina to VP of Pro Personnel in Buffalo. His responsibilities are essentially the same I believe in both positions. Even Beane commented that it was pretty much a lateral move for Gaine, which makes it exciting that he chose to come to Buffalo. He obviously wanted to be here and believes in the direction the organization is going in.

And probably got another zero on the end of his paycheck. Pegulas pulling out the stops...love it!