Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

In project management, there's a term called "sunk costs" which means that once you've paid for something, that's done, and you shouldn't make decisions going forward based on what you paid. You should make decisions based on what's best going forward.

The fact that Whaley gave up so much to draft Watkins is irrelevant. He did. We could have drafted Mack after moving up, or we could have drafted an excellent WR in our original spot and still had a first the following year. Doesn't matter now. It matters to Whaley's legacy, which is not all bad or even mostly bad, but certainly isn't good enough. But it doesn't matter to the new regime in town.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do we deal with SW if he does not have a good season? if his foot is still not 100%....Do we simply let him go ?.....offer him a small contract ?.....

If he's healthy, he'll produce and be tagged or signed to an extension. If he's injured again, he'll hit the open market. I'm expecting the former.

How do we deal with SW if he does not have a good season? if his foot is still not 100%....Do we simply let him go ?.....offer him a small contract ?.....

I dont think the Bills should sign him to a big extension if he doesnt perform or cant stay healthy. I hope he is done with the injuries and has a monster season but time will tell.

Vic Carucci "has doubts" Bills are motivated to extend contract-year WR Sammy Watkins, even after the season:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/05/vic-caruccis-bills-mailbag-watkins-adding-ownerships-voice-backfield-depth-questions/

Not sure how Carucci has come to this conclusion. There are way too many unknowns for him to be making assumptions like this.

First of all, the Bills haven't even hired a General Manager yet. So one of the main people making roster decisions is not even in the building. So how can Carruci know what that guy thinks about Sammy Watkins? The only person Carucci could possibly try and get a "read on" is Sean McDermott. And from McDermott's statement this week, it's pretty clear this decision was based completely on Watkins health and injury concerns.

If Watkins comes out in 2017 and stays 100% healthy, while playing like one of the best WRs in the league, I have a hard time believing the Bills wouldn't even consider bringing him back.

Not sure it's that black and white.

If he's healthy all year but not getting targets and or if Taylor gets hurt and Jones/Peterman are awful Watkins production will be down at which point I think they tell him to hit the road.

To jettison him based on any of these scenarios would be poor decision making IMO. It would be another story if he isn't getting open or lacks explosiveness.

maybe transition tag if not 100%? That way we could at least see what the market is for him and decide if we are willing to match.

if healthy , sammy is a stud and the decision to execise his option would be easy.

the bills have extensive inside knowledge of his medical situation that they can't talk about.

the fact they declined makes me believe he is unlikely to get healthy with rest and/or will need another surgery.

if healthy , sammy is a stud and the decision to execise his option would be easy.

the bills have extensive inside knowledge of his medical situation that they can't talk about.

the fact they declined makes me believe he is unlikely to get healthy with rest and/or will need another surgery.

He's expected to be fully ready for training camp at SJF. Not sure what leads you to either conclusion.

He's expected to be fully ready for training camp at SJF. Not sure what leads you to either conclusion.

....not sure, but I don't remember a lot of long term deals for UFA WR's.....more lke "show me" one year deals.....notables were Pryor at $6 mil and Jeffrey at $ 14 mil......so if Sammy returns to form and is formidable late November, a long term deal with decent guaranteed money may be an attraction.....also have the tag available....too many moving parts right now........

If he's healthy, he'll produce and be tagged or signed to an extension. If he's injured again, he'll hit the open market. I'm expecting the former.

Pretty much sums it up. The number of pages devoted to one man's foot another man's PERCEIVED ego is astounding. The Bills have made the right play here. They will still be in the driver's seat at the end of the season as far as Watkins. It will cost an extra 3 million +\- but that isn't going to break the bank like 13 million would if Watkins is as fragile this year as his first three have been. This is hard for a lot of people to understand because rarely has OBD made sound business decisions. The sky is not falling, we are not rebuilding and WE will have our eighth win on December 3 and pick up number nine when we THUMP Indy.

Edited by iinii

Not what I would do. If healthy he is elite. I think he may well have a monster year - in which case he will almost certainly be gone.

Wonder if coach is trying too hard to sever ties with the past and make this his team.

When has he been healthy and when has he been elite?

Can we tag sammy with the original round tender? That would allow us to match or pick up a 1st!

No, it doesn't work that way. You are thinking of restricted free agent tenders. Watkins will be an unrestricted free agent after this season unless the Bills sign him to an extension or tag him with the franchise or transition tag.

Now that the Bills decision to decline his option has had some time to sink in I hope people understand that this isn't some motivating tactic, it's the first step in parting ways after the season. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Dumb move if he's healthy. SW as good as gone if he has a good year.

If Watkins has a good year he is not gone, just costs us about 3mil/yr more which is a good gamble. It is called a Franchise tag. Your whole statement is based on health which Watkins in the past 2 years has failed to show much. If they had made the 5th year option and Watkins never comes back from foot injury then they would have gambled wrong and cost the team 13mil dollas. In my mind it is better to be wrong and cost only 3 mil more than wrong and lose 13 million. Really is just simple math!

No, it doesn't work that way. You are thinking of restricted free agent tenders. Watkins will be an unrestricted free agent after this season unless the Bills sign him to an extension or tag him with the franchise or transition tag.

Now that the Bills decision to decline his option has had some time to sink in I hope people understand that this isn't some motivating tactic, it's the first step in parting ways after the season. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

It is called protecting one's position, if Watkins becomes that good he will be worth, 13mil, around 15mil following year and last year of tagging 20-25mil (QB) money. Bills own him if they want to pay for a "healthy WR". They have to settle the QB position 1st. Watkins position with health concerns is he will want to sign a long term agreement if he gets lucky to be healthy next year and puts up great numbers. Going year to year is not something Watkins can afford to do!

Um, where was I when all of this was going on? It sounds like a pretty interesting story.

i remember reading that this brother has a lot of problems and he is trying to help but that it isn't good for him to be around that crew. I believe Sammy was trying to keep him in Buffalo last year and live with him, which he was for awhile. To keep him out of that Florida area. Edited by YoloinOhio

Sammy's step brother is a scumbag, he and 21 others were arrested here for gang related activities, their gang, called the lake Boyz are responsible for many crimes in the area and were charged under the RICO standard. Sammy should just let his brother stay in jail till his trial, he's only going to get in more trouble

Sammy's step brother is a scumbag, he and 21 others were arrested here for gang related activities, their gang, called the lake Boyz are responsible for many crimes in the area and were charged under the RICO standard. Sammy should just let his brother stay in jail till his trial, he's only going to get in more trouble

"am I my brothers keeper"

"yes I am"

Saw him at the Pizza Plant downtown, my bro in law runs the kitchen and didnt let the staff talk to him while in there so he could have his privacy. Sammy looked over at us at one point and we both just smiled and gave him a thumbs up, and made him smile. He had a $7 bill and he tipped his waitress $20 so no Shady type story here lol, he always seemed so genuinely nice and is so hard working I really hope he puts up huge numbers this year. I have a feeling he puts up 1,400 yards and 10 TD's this year, I hope at least.

Saw him at the Pizza Plant downtown, my bro in law runs the kitchen and didnt let the staff talk to him while in there so he could have his privacy. Sammy looked over at us at one point and we both just smiled and gave him a thumbs up, and made him smile. He had a $7 bill and he tipped his waitress $20 so no Shady type story here lol, he always seemed so genuinely nice and is so hard working I really hope he puts up huge numbers this year. I have a feeling he puts up 1,400 yards and 10 TD's this year, I hope at least.

Thanks for the story Sandy

Sammy's a local hero here, never got into trouble growing up, does a lot if positive things when he comes back, bought his mom a nice house in a gated community across the street from mine, a very nice, sweet lady, his other brother plays for the Eagles, it's a shame his half brother went down the wrong path

It's a very difficult dilemma. You want to help, but you don't want to get sucked in so far it hurts you personally. And, sometimes what you think of as "help" is not the least bit helpful. It can even hurt.

I just hope he is not engaging "fans" on social media over it.....or the rest of the stuff like his extension, rehab, etc etc.

I personally think that if he can just overcome the injury thing....this team instantly gets better in a lot of different ways.

No doubt! If he's healthy it's a game changer. Even when he has been on the field, it's often not near 100% and he has nowhere near the impact on the entire field that he could.

I would have picked it up too, but he was Whaley's guy, I guess. If he lives up to his potential elsewhere, will McD be judged as harshly for letting him go as Whaley was for trading up for him? Same waste.... But I doubt it.

I think I would've too.

Here's another reason: negotiations with a WR facing a single tag vs facing the option year followed by the tag reduces our leverage. It's not just the $4m but also losing a year of control

If Watkins has a good year he is not gone, just costs us about 3mil/yr more which is a good gamble. It is called a Franchise tag. Your whole statement is based on health which Watkins in the past 2 years has failed to show much. If they had made the 5th year option and Watkins never comes back from foot injury then they would have gambled wrong and cost the team 13mil dollas. In my mind it is better to be wrong and cost only 3 mil more than wrong and lose 13 million. Really is just simple math!

It is called protecting one's position, if Watkins becomes that good he will be worth, 13mil, around 15mil following year and last year of tagging 20-25mil (QB) money. Bills own him if they want to pay for a "healthy WR". They have to settle the QB position 1st. Watkins position with health concerns is he will want to sign a long term agreement if he gets lucky to be healthy next year and puts up great numbers. Going year to year is not something Watkins can afford to do!

So all that has to happen for Watkins to stick around past 2017 is that:

- The offense has to deviate from run first and pass much more than the last couple seasons

- Tyrod has to be up to that challenge and be effective despite the increased passing workload

- Watkins has to stay healthy despite a much increased workload and

- Watkins has to have a career year, far exceeding his previous three seasons

I'm not banking on single one of those things happening, much less all four.

Edited by BarleyNY

• 3 months later...