Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

So NE front loads a contract again and we walk again. We get a #32 pick and the Pats get our best player. Our only hope is that they the guy we pick at 32 doesn't completely suck. Good plan. Working so far.

How does that special team pick in the 5th compare with Gillislee?

They can't offer anything if it is an exclusive tag and if it is non-exclusive and we don't match, we get TWO first rounders, not one.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they franchise him, but that costs $15 million and the Bills have no flexibility to spread that money.

We'll see how it works out.

But if we franchise him, that means we WANT to pay him that money. Because he earned it. Imagine having to pay him $13.5 M in 2018 when he's on IR for the majority of next season? How much would that suck?

Edited by Domdab99

And I agree with the point that emotionally, Sammy may check out with this news. "I'm outta here and I'll show them." He may have a lousy 2017, get a nice deal somewhere, and then become the All-Pro he's capable of.

Gotta keep your stars, and you don't see the good teams franchising their stars - they sign them.

One thing is for sure, you don't see good teams alienating their best players. This is a slap in the face, Sammy probably needs one but not from a new coach/GM who has no relationship with him.

How do people not even remember Dareus just a couple years ago? Every player that gets the 5th year option will want a long term deal at the end of their 4th season.

Players want to be paid. Picking up the option or not, Watkins was getting a long term deal after this season if healthy.

A WR is different than a DT. Dareus success relies only on beating the guy in front of him. SW being a WR, his success ( and future earning potential) is tied to his QB. A chance to force a trade out of BUF to a team with a better QB is a meal ticket for him. One he may not get again. He will force that hand.

And I agree with the point that emotionally, Sammy may check out with this news. "I'm outta here and I'll show them." He may have a lousy 2017, get a nice deal somewhere, and then become the All-Pro he's capable of.

Gotta keep your stars, and you don't see the good teams franchising their stars - they sign them.

There is no way to look at this other than it is an incredibly stupid decision. It is not even debatable. It makes no sense whatsoever for the team and is the first real visible mistake for McDermott. It is a horrible mistake though.

Holy cow, you guys can't be serious.

Having Sammy has not impacted how many games we win or lose. Losing Sammy will also not impact how many games we win or lose. This league is about QB and

Head Coach, the latter more so than the former.

I say we put an original round tender on Sammy next year, if someone wants to have him give us a first.

I know. Sorry, was being snarky and I shouldn't have.

Anyway, I think there is a good argument for the Bills decision here. But only based on the premise that they are very concerned about SW's chronic foot issues.

Best case scenario: SW's foot fully heals, he tears it up in 2017 and we franchise him and work on a long term deal. All this would have happened with the 5th year option anyway. Bills just end up paying $5m or so to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: SW's foot just can't heal properly. He's in and out of the lineup in 2017 and his career never really develops the way he should have because of the injuries. And the Bills are totally protected agains this by not picking up the 5th year option.

Bills fans worst case scenario: SW tears it up and bills lose him in 2018 for nothing to the Pats (very unlikely to happen).

Don't apologize. I was doing the same....Sabres and Bills just have me frustrated....sorry again....

this doesn't make much sense.

Gilmore's career didn't make much sense either. Bite on the play fake since day 1, then spend your last year missing tackles and rooting for the opposition, then sign a multi-million dollar contract in some bizarre trolling scheme.

But if we franchise him, that means we WANT to pay him that money. Because he earned it. Imagine having to pay him $13.5 M in 2018 when he's on IR for the majority of next season? How much would that suck?

That's a gamble, but one you take with every player that is on your opening day roster for 2018. If he gets through this season, how much risk was it?

Having Sammy has not impacted how many games we win or lose. Losing Sammy will also not impact how many games we win or lose. This league is about QB and

Head Coach, the latter more so than the former.

I say we put an original round tender on Sammy next year, if someone wants to have him give us a first.

I like this a lot. Imagine having 3 first round picks next year...not that I think anyone will offer a first round tender for him if we don't franchise him...

I support the Bills decision to decline that option.

IMO, that foot issue will be a chronic issue that will always get tweaked by the rigors of playing professional football.

He'll get a month, maybe two until it's damaged and/or incredibly painful.

Maybe things work out, and that'll be great for the Bills and SW.

Point being that I'd rather have TT throwing to Sammy than any QB of the past 15 years throwing to Stevie. And yet Stevie still out-performed Sammy.

So it's time for sammy to put up or shut up. this is a great decision.

Not me. We had better passing attacks before. Fitz is a better passer than Taylor. Taylor just has other intangibles Edited by BuffaloBud420

Gilmore's career didn't make much sense either. Bite on the play fake since day 1, then spend your last year missing tackles and rooting for the opposition, then sign a multi-million dollar contract in some bizarre trolling scheme.

What does this have to do with Gilmore?

Watkins can't stay on the field, i.e., he's a bust.

I'm glad they declined the option.

He can prove me wrong by playing all 16 games this season,... go!

Edited by T-Bomb

This is a serious mistake. First big one of the McDermott era.

This essentially means he's gone after next year. If he catches balls for 1200 yards and the Bills go to the playoffs, they'll lose their #1 wide receiver. Why? Because if that happens the Bills will have to break the bank to keep Tyrod and they won't be able to match the offers Sammy will get elsewhere.

Never, never, never give up on talent too early. If you haven't special talent that isn't playing up to the level you'd like, keep trying, because you want to still own the player when his play catches up to his talent. Much better to waste a year on talent that doesn't come around than to give up a year too early.

Can you say MARSHAWN?