Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

@profootballtalk

Bills were smart to not compound first Sammy Watkins mistake with another one

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/02/bills-were-smart-to-admit-sammy-watkins-mistake/related/

I feel this is going to be the theme of McDermotts Bills, media and pundits give us major props for moves, fans massively overreact.

Really hope we make the playoffs this year, some posters on here will simply evaporate like they were never here.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares, I mean he needs to earn his next contract. There's no reason we should pick it up. He has to go out there and prove he can stay healthy. Since his rookie year his he's trended missed 11 games, that's 23%. I see nothing wrong with making him bet on himself.

All the above are contingent on his health.

McDermott indicated he had a good conversation with him. One hopes it was to the effect of saying we just want to be sure your foot is set to go and when you play great this year we'll write a new contract.

Mickey Rat indicated he had a great relationship with Whaley, too, before he Ahab'd him.

I feel this is going to be the theme of McDermotts Bills, media and pundits give us major props for moves, fans massively overreact.

Really hope we make the playoffs this year, some posters on here will simply evaporate like they were never here.

Media loved hard nosed Doug Marrone too.

BTW, why are we even looking for a GM, Sean seems to be doing it all - also, don't buy for 1 sec he spoke with Watkins like he "spoke" with Whaley and staff.

Edited by Elite Poster

Right. The concern has to be what would Watkins want to do. If he blows up and stays healthy all 16 games then suddenly he has all the levarage over a coach/GM who just refused to offer him the 5th year.

Sammy was irked by fans comments on social media, how is he going to react to the team pulling his option which protects him against injury, all while he is rehabbing a foot. The same broken foot he played with for the same team...

No loyalty in this buisness, I get that. I just think it's a little early for this coach and organization to start playing hard ball with one of its more talented players. It won't be long until coach needs a player like Sammy on his side in that locker room.

If you're saying Sammy wants a guaranteed 13 million even if he's hurt, then it's easier to understand the team's reluctance.

I hope two things: that McD is correct that they had a good conversation and by extension a good relationship, and that Dennison will actually use him the right way and get the ball in his hands on bubble screens etc and let him be the guy he should be.

How does picking up a 1 year option ensure you "keep Sammy"?

At some point he is a free agent, what if he doesn't want to play for the Bills? If he doesn't want to play for the Bills in 2017, why would he want to play for them in 2018 and beyond?

This move does NOTHING in terms of the Bills being able to keep Watkins, that's up to him...

5th year option, franchise tag, both of them are hostage scenario's for a player that doesn't want to be here.

If he wants to be here, he will, whether or not this option was picked up.

5th year option not a hostage scenario , it's an extension of the contract. A tag is a hostage scenario yes but it's all about if the player wants to be here. The option buys you 2018. Hopefully with a new 1st round QB. A show of " no faith" like this can sour a guy on an organization. Now he won't even see time with a new QB before the contract is an issue. It will make it all the more tantalizing to leave. This move will go a long way to him not wanting to be here. He'll have lots of motivation for a great '17 and then be gone.

With the option, he is ours thru 2019 IF we want him to be. That is the difference. He CAN'T just decide to leave. We controlled his fate. Now we don't in the least BIT.

What if come next year he gets an offer from Sean Payton or Belichick?

Then he'll leave... I mean, what exactly has he done for the Bills? He can't stay healthy...

He has simply not performed, bottom line. Why pick up an option on a player who is not worth the option?

I don't understand the whining...

No...I'm saying that his on-field production would be such that we'd laugh at the thought of not picking up his option even considering the injury.

Ah. I guess I agree with that although his production has been more than good enough as it stands, when he's been on the field. By almost any metric.

Who cares, I mean he needs to earn his next contract. There's no reason we should pick it up. He has to go out there and prove he can stay healthy. Since his rookie year his he's trended missed 11 games, that's 23%. I see nothing wrong with making him bet on himself.

Do you see how betting against SW might make him tell the Bills to take a hike? Especially when he won't get a chance to play here with a better QB than TT before his contract is up?

Then he'll leave... I mean, what exactly has he done for the Bills? He can't stay healthy...

He has simply not performed, bottom line. Why pick up an option on a player who is not worth the option?

I don't understand the whining...

If he has a good 2017, would he have been worth the option?

If they FT him next year, it would mean he had a great year. WIn/Win if you ask me.

He will never sign that FT here now.

No way this team makes the playoffs this year.

If he has a good 2017, would he have been worth the option?

It's risk vs. reward. So far, Watkins has been a very bad bet, not sure why ppl think that will change...

Dude gets hurt/tweaked CONSTANTLY!

How many times do some of you have to be kicked in the balls before you know it hurts? Honestly...

For what it's worth, Dez, Julio and Durant have all come back from Jones fractures and seemingly had no long term complications. Of course they weren't rushed back from recovery like sammy was.

From what I recall, the DR's said it was about pain tolerance, not about further damage...

Picking up the option would be compounding the mistake to trade up for him in the first place. That kinda crap has to stop, it's stopping IMO.

Edited by T-Bomb

Ahab'd? Please explain (and I've read Moby Dick a couple of times).

Well, to Ahab, the white whale signified his Maker - an indifferent, violent, nearly all-powerful nature. By killing the white whale, Ahab was displacing his own Maker and, therefore, becoming a god himself.

So by deposing Whaley, McD destroyed that which made him what he was (hired him) and that which had stood in the way of his complete dominion.

Perhaps that's what he meant?

It's risk vs. reward. So far, Watkins has been a very bad bet, not sure why ppl think that will change...

Dude gets hurt/tweaked CONSTANTLY!

How many times do some of you have to be kicked in the balls before you know it hurts? Honestly...

From what I recall, the DR's said it was about pain tolerance, not about further damage...

And Julio missed the same or more games than SW with the injury. If you can't make cuts / get in and out of breaks you may as well not be out there.