Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

Giving Sammy that 5th year would've sent a nice message to him that we still believe in you and somehow you can turn this around. Maybe the pick itself still reminds the organization of Whaley. When healthy he's amazing. A true top 10 NFL wr. But you can't ignore his propensity for getting hurt. Maybe he'll shine this fall or maybe he shuts it down? Who knows. But EJ and Sammy dictated Whaley's legacy and I think we see the Pegulas and McDermott continue this culture change. Too bad cause I loved what Sammy could've done for us....

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have plenty of cap room in the future and have no talent on their roster. They are paying millions of dollars to coaches who aren't here. Pay your only star player and take the risk.

Good take, but the foot is the core issue here. None of us know enough about that.

The good news: if he IS healthy in 2017, it's in his interest to light it up. And that's great news for Tyrod Taylor. When healthy, Watkins is about as good a receiver that can be.

Edited by dave mcbride

Sammy hasn't proven he is durable enough or enough of a leader for the Bills

his 5th year option is pretty close to the franchise tag so we have options

Personally I would trade him this year since more than likely this season will be a step backwards before we can move forward

Edited by ddaryl

Bills decide to pass on Watkins' option year Unbelievable. This is perhaps the only thing that could have made the Bills' trade up in the 2014 draft even more disastrous. The Bills are clearly petrified of Watkins suffering another injury and guaranteeing himself a massive payday for 2018 options years are guaranteed for injury only but they've backed themselves into a corner if Watkins has a monster 2017, something certainly not outside the realm of possibility for a wideout who has yet to turn 24. The franchise tag costs more than the option. In a league placing an ever-increasing premium on high-end receiving talent, the Bills are playing fire with theirs. The Bills maybe shouldn't be letting someone who was a defensive coordinator just five months ago run their front office.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859483283243053061

From rotoworld

this is stupid. First of all, mentioning the trade-up is a sunk-cost fallacy. It has no bearing on giving Watkins the 5th year option or not. And so what if the franchise tag is more than the option? If Sammy balls out and we franchise him, I'm sure the Bills will be pleased to do so! Or, you know, sign him to a longer contract. If he doesn't, or he gets hurt, we are not on the hook for an absurd amount of money for him.

This is a win-win for everyone - including Sammy. He gets to prove his worth now.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

What has Sammy proved here?

He has yet to have a year as good as Steve Johnson.

Show up, have 1,500 yards and the Bills will pay.

But its been nothing but playing through injuries and the Bills not knowing/willing to use him for 3 years now.

That's my understanding and that would be similar to the amount they would have paid picking up the option at current salaries. Assuming the tag number goes up next year it would cost the Bills a few million more if the tag him for 18. But they'd be happy to do so I would think if he has a good year with no injuries.

Right. The concern has to be what would Watkins want to do. If he blows up and stays healthy all 16 games then suddenly he has all the levarage over a coach/GM who just refused to offer him the 5th year.

Sammy was irked by fans comments on social media, how is he going to react to the team pulling his option which protects him against injury, all while he is rehabbing a foot. The same broken foot he played with for the same team...

No loyalty in this buisness, I get that. I just think it's a little early for this coach and organization to start playing hard ball with one of its more talented players. It won't be long until coach needs a player like Sammy on his side in that locker room.

@AdamSchefter

Now official: the Rams will not pick up the fifth-year option on former number two overall pick OL Greg Robinson.

@vinnieiyer

NFL 5th-year options for 2014: 23 exercised, 6 declined (Watkins, Robinson, Fuller, M. Smith, Pryor, Teddy), 3 released (2 Browns, Easley)

I'm sure Watkins is excited to be on that list. Play for us with that broken foot, a year later...that foot needs to heal so you can prove your value to us. Oh yah and that injury guarantee, your not getting that!! Remember your foot?! Clowns.

If he's allowed to hit the market, he's gone. Saying "no team will spend big money on an injury prone wr" shows little understanding of the league . Sammy is reconized around the league as an elite talent. IMO this is the first step towards losing him just like Gilmore. We should deal him now if we are intent on playing a game of chicken about his health.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I think there is a good argument for the Bills decision here. But only based on the premise that they are very concerned about SW's chronic foot issues.

Best case scenario: SW's foot fully heals, he tears it up in 2017 and we franchise him and work on a long term deal. All this would have happened with the 5th year option anyway. Bills just end up paying $5m or so to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: SW's foot just can't heal properly. He's in and out of the lineup in 2017 and his career never really develops the way he should have because of the injuries. And the Bills are totally protected agains this by not picking up the 5th year option.

Bills fans worst case scenario: SW tears it up and bills lose him in 2018 for nothing to the Pats (very unlikely to happen).