Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

@salsports

Sean McDermott has said numerous times earn the right to win. Looks like he's challenging Watkins to prove he can stay healthy and produce

...if that happens, Bills can still place franchise tag on Watkins (albeit at a higher cost) or workout extension. We'll see how 2017 goes

I thought the franchise tag cost was similar to the fifth year option cost.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have plenty of cap room in the future and have no talent on their roster. They are paying millions of dollars to coaches who aren't here. Pay your only star player and take the risk.

You dont know what you're talking about. Money has nothing to do with the decision. Watkins needs to perform and stay healthy. If he does he will get paid before his 5th year. This decision changes pretty much nothing. Watkins knows he needs to perform now, he doesnt have $13 million waiting for him next year if he doesnt perform.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Last I checked, coaches don't count against the salary cap.

I mean, it's easy for you to say that, but in reality it's complicated due to his foot.

They can still franchise him next year if all goes well. Basically they are buying a free injury option that could cost 4m or so next year.

There's no reason to check. Everyone knows they don't count against the cap

It was the proper move. Nobody knows the extent of his injuries better than the Bills medical staff, and maybe they're erring on the side of caution (i mean, look at the Shaq misread). Guaranteeing the guy $13M for 2018 now would have been a big gamble and IMO a mistake. The franchise tag is there for 2018 of you want to keep him and work out a long-term deal or trade. This decision today in no way indicates that they're losing his talent. - unless of course he gets hurt again. And if he does, he'll need to take whatever he can get and prove he can stay healthy and perform at an elite level for a complete season before he gets a big payday.

@salsports

Sean McDermott has said numerous times earn the right to win. Looks like he's challenging Watkins to prove he can stay healthy and produce

...if that happens, Bills can still place franchise tag on Watkins (albeit at a higher cost) or workout extension. We'll see how 2017 goes

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

lol. Mail it in. Maybe that's what you would do. Not Sammy

Two kinds of coaches:

Those who talk and those who do.

McD looks like he means what he says.

He has no attachment to Sammy and is sending a STRONG message to every player on the team... and in the league

Edited by Buffalo Boy

F Tag is the average of the top 5 contracts for the position. That's my understanding anyways.

That's my understanding and that would be similar to the amount they would have paid picking up the option at current salaries. Assuming the tag number goes up next year it would cost the Bills a few million more if the tag him for 18. But they'd be happy to do so I would think if he has a good year with no injuries.

There's no reason to check. Everyone knows they don't count against the cap

I know. Sorry, was being snarky and I shouldn't have.

Anyway, I think there is a good argument for the Bills decision here. But only based on the premise that they are very concerned about SW's chronic foot issues.

Best case scenario: SW's foot fully heals, he tears it up in 2017 and we franchise him and work on a long term deal. All this would have happened with the 5th year option anyway. Bills just end up paying $5m or so to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: SW's foot just can't heal properly. He's in and out of the lineup in 2017 and his career never really develops the way he should have because of the injuries. And the Bills are totally protected agains this by not picking up the 5th year option.

Bills fans worst case scenario: SW tears it up and bills lose him in 2018 for nothing to the Pats (very unlikely to happen).