Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

But the decision won't determine whether he is healthy or not. The decision changes a lot because now he knows he has FA waiting for him after just the 2017 season. This is a gamble that SW won't be healthy and/ or produce. If he performs, he will force his way out of here. The Bills won't even have had a chance to draft a 1st round QB yet or get to see him with Watkins for a season. SW will want out just like Norman wanted out of Carolina.

Yes - it is a lot easier than many think for superstar players coming off strong seasons to force their way out.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Fans often see an injured player and think this dude is getting paid millions to sit on his ass! That player is thinking, I busted my fukking balls and brain for this team and look what happened to me, I can't even play and my leg is falling off. And now they don't want me or want to pay me when I get healthy?!

Yep, lots of fans are very dumb, unfortunately. But in the players situation they would feel 100% different.

No it's not. I'm a big Sammy fan but it's a very tough call. He's injured still so it's good for both parties. If he can't recover the Bills don't overinvest and if he does they can tag him and/or offer him a big long term deal before he hits free agency. For Sammy he can prove he's healthy enough for the big deal.

I understand "trying to protect yourself" as a franchise, but I also understand that your most talented players help you to win games. Dez, Julio, Edelman, they have all returned to form after surgeries as such. It is stupid not to pick up the 5th year because A) He is one of our most talented players. B) He is only 24 years old. C) The 5th year option is cheaper than the Franchise Tag. D) It gives us another year of control at reasonable value for a top tier WR talent. Sammy will walk, get paid, and put up huge numbers with a better QB getting him the ball.

But the decision won't determine whether he is healthy or not. The decision changes a lot because now he knows he has FA waiting for him after just the 2017 season. This is a gamble that SW won't be healthy and/ or produce. If he performs, he will force his way out of here. The Bills won't even have had a chance to draft a 1st round QB yet or get to see him with Watkins for a season. SW will want out just like Norman wanted out of Carolina.

I think he'll want to perform for the huge contract, and if he gets offered the huge contract here, he'll sign.

For me, the bigger issue is that the team has exposed themselves to the potential of losing him if they aren't willing to pony up the top-5 salary.

The real risk and downside here is if Sammy heals up, has a great year (which I would then expect) gets his nose out of joint and refuses to play in Buffalo in 2018 or ever again. Of course the Bills medical staff may know something we don't but his rehab is said to be on schedule. In order to get the payday his talent deserves Sammy needs to show up in 2017. Thats a big reason I see him doing well. Mega money is a huge incentive. If that happens I could see him wanting to ink his big deal somewhere else and getting on with his life.

This is a serious mistake. First big one of the McDermott era.

This essentially means he's gone after next year. If he catches balls for 1200 yards and the Bills go to the playoffs, they'll lose their #1 wide receiver. Why? Because if that happens the Bills will have to break the bank to keep Tyrod and they won't be able to match the offers Sammy will get elsewhere.

Never, never, never give up on talent too early. If you haven't special talent that isn't playing up to the level you'd like, keep trying, because you want to still own the player when his play catches up to his talent. Much better to waste a year on talent that doesn't come around than to give up a year too early.

Can you say MARSHAWN?

you do know they can franchise him or sign him to a long-term contact at any time, right? Even in the middle of next season.

We really don't know his mind-set, but Sammy has always seemed like a stand-up guy and probably understands this and knows what he has to prove.

And if he does leave....well, guess what? We have two number 1s next year!

How do people not even remember Dareus just a couple years ago? Every player that gets the 5th year option will want a long term deal at the end of their 4th season.

Players want to be paid. Picking up the option or not, Watkins was getting a long term deal after this season if healthy.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Of course the Bills medical staff may know something we don't but his rehab is said to be on schedule.

This. Maybe there is something, maybe the rehab is not going well..................... this all behind the scenes and not public

How does he hit the market? Tag him in 2018 and you can tag him again in 2019

Trade? You get a 3rd at best a 2nd. An injury prone guy yet to put up big #'s consistently wanting big money. No one will line up for that deal

Tag means bunk if the guy doesn't want to sign. It becomes a headache and the team moves on. If he has a good year, SW will be playing elsewhere in 2018. They just guaranteed it.

Ok.. point being

Point being that I'd rather have TT throwing to Sammy than any QB of the past 15 years throwing to Stevie. And yet Stevie still out-performed Sammy.

So it's time for sammy to put up or shut up. this is a great decision.

There is no way to look at this other than it is an incredibly stupid decision. It is not even debatable. It makes no sense whatsoever for the team and is the first real visible mistake for McDermott. It is a horrible mistake though.

And I agree with the point that emotionally, Sammy may check out with this news. "I'm outta here and I'll show them." He may have a lousy 2017, get a nice deal somewhere, and then become the All-Pro he's capable of.

Gotta keep your stars, and you don't see the good teams franchising their stars - they sign them.

Tag means bunk if the guy doesn't want to sign. It becomes a headache and the team moves on. If he has a good year, SW will be playing elsewhere in 2018. They just guaranteed it.

Right that could happen. But we just played hard ball once, do it again next year