Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

Having Sammy has not impacted how many games we win or lose. Losing Sammy will also not impact how many games we win or lose. This league is about QB and

Head Coach, the latter more so than the former.

I say we put an original round tender on Sammy next year, if someone wants to have him give us a first.

he would be a UFA so no tender. You can put a non-exclusive tag on him and get 2 first rounders though ... then we would have 4, that would be a record. Or you can place exclusive tag and no one can talk to him.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A WR is different than a DT. Dareus success relies only on beating the guy in front of him. SW being a WR, his success ( and future earning potential) is tied to his QB. A chance to force a trade out of BUF to a team with a better QB is a meal ticket for him. One he may not get again. He will force that hand.

Oh my goodness. The Bills control Sammy's rights. People are making these wild scenarios up that make no sense.

As for Dareus I was talking about good players not even seeing that 5th year option. Teams sign those players after 4 years like Dareus. The Bills obviously don't trust that Watkins can be 100 %. They want that protection and they want him to prove it. If he does they will sign him.

LOL. Also wasn't this when Marrone allegedly stormed out of the war room.

Yeah. Allegedly wanted to stay put and take Zack Martin. Maybe not so dumb. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Not me. We had better passing attacks before. Fitz is a better passer than Taylor. Taylor just has other intangibles

you're possibly right...but I think we will know for sure this season. I'm telling you, I really think Dennison can get the best out of our skill players. Coach McD is making all of the right moves so far...we'll just have to wait and see if they translate to on-the-field success.

he would be a UFA so no tender. You can put a non-exclusive tag on him and get 2 first rounders though ... then we would have 4, that would be a record. Or you can place exclusive tag and no one can talk to him.

this seems like a win-win to me

Oh my goodness. The Bills control Sammy's rights. People are making these wild scenarios up that make sense.

As for Dareus I was talking about good players not even seeing that 5th year option. Teams sign those players after 4 years like Dareus. The Bills obviously don't trust that Watkins can be 100 %. They want that protection and they want him to prove it. If he does they will sign him.

Yeah. Allegedly wanted to stay put and take Zack Martin. Maybe not so dumb.

hmmm but you know he would have played Martin at RT. #bestfive Edited by YoloinOhio

Leroi has been right about pretty much everything else... and has continued to say Sammy needs to prove to them that he can stay healthy

That is the case, its unfortunate he has been such a disappointment.

Imo

Good take, but the foot is the core issue here. None of us know enough about that.

The good news: if he IS healthy in 2017, it's in his interest to light it up. And that's great news for Tyrod Taylor. When healthy, Watkins is about as good a receiver that can be.

So why not announce the decision earlier? Did something change with the medicals in the last few weeks? Don't think it really changed how other teams would view their draft, but maybe.

Seems more related to a disagreement in the building with one side talking about potential if healthy and the other talking about "Samantha".

I agree Shaw. This is a little premature. But we're all assuming Sammy doesn't reinjure something. And let's not forget that we haven't targeted Sammy near as much as we should've. This will be Sammy's final year to prove something to us or 31 other teams. Belichick is probably licking his chops.

SO if this move potentially backfires because we won't be able to keep Sammy, will we also blame that on Whaley.

How does picking up a 1 year option ensure you "keep Sammy"?

At some point he is a free agent, what if he doesn't want to play for the Bills? If he doesn't want to play for the Bills in 2017, why would he want to play for them in 2018 and beyond?

This move does NOTHING in terms of the Bills being able to keep Watkins, that's up to him...

5th year option, franchise tag, both of them are hostage scenario's for a player that doesn't want to be here.

If he wants to be here, he will, whether or not this option was picked up.

Ah fair enough wasn't aware of the exact mechanics, either way we have options and ways of seeing just how "highly thought of" he is around the league.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

As already said, mailing it in makes no sense. He is either playing for a nice extension by the Bills or a hefty contract with another team. He won't get either by mailing it in.

This conversation wouldn't be taking place if the team made any attempt to get him the ball before he complained about it.

Wait what? So you're saying his phantom pain is justified because he's been trapped in broken offenses??

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I understand "trying to protect yourself" as a franchise, but I also understand that your most talented players help you to win games. Dez, Julio, Edelman, they have all returned to form after surgeries as such. It is stupid not to pick up the 5th year because A) He is one of our most talented players. B) He is only 24 years old. C) The 5th year option is cheaper than the Franchise Tag. D) It gives us another year of control at reasonable value for a top tier WR talent. Sammy will walk, get paid, and put up huge numbers with a better QB getting him the ball.

All the above are contingent on his health.

McDermott indicated he had a good conversation with him. One hopes it was to the effect of saying we just want to be sure your foot is set to go and when you play great this year we'll write a new contract.

How does picking up a 1 year option ensure you "keep Sammy"?

At some point he is a free agent, what if he doesn't want to play for the Bills? If he doesn't want to play for the Bills in 2017, why would he want to play for them in 2018 and beyond?

This move does NOTHING in terms of the Bills being able to keep Watkins, that's up to him...

5th year option, franchise tag, both of them are hostage scenario's for a player that doesn't want to be here.

If he wants to be here, he will, whether or not this option was picked up.

With the option, he is ours thru 2019 IF we want him to be. That is the difference. He CAN'T just decide to leave. We controlled his fate. Now we don't in the least BIT.

What if come next year he gets an offer from Sean Payton or Belichick?

Edited by Elite Poster

Wait what? So you're saying his phantom pain is justified because he's been trapped in broken offenses??

No...I'm saying that his on-field production would be such that we'd laugh at the thought of not picking up his option even considering the injury.