Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Bills have still full control by tagging him.

Serious question: How much is the tag vs the 5th year option?

I get not wanting to commit, I also get wanting to see production.

Oh, for sure he will get paid. How much he's on the field and how he produces THIS year could mean tens of millions in the "how much" category. I'm actually a Sammy fan, but he seemed to look for the sideline or slide after the catch a lot last year. Someone posted 35 YAC all season? He played like he had broken ribs again. Not sure what the real YAC # is, but I expect to see a more aggressive WR this year.

I don't disagree, but I would bet that the feeling in the league is to discount what happens in Buffalo (especially with Rex and our offensive system/passing game). It will be the same as everyone who said "NE way overpaid for Gilmore". I would wager on Stephon having a phenomenal year...

Serious question: How much is the tag vs the 5th year option?

I get not wanting to commit, I also get wanting to see production.

Tag is 4mm higher I think

Yeah. If they aren't willing to take the chance on his option year, there's no way the Bills are going to take the risk of giving him a big contract with a large signing bonus - even if he has a big 2017 season.

Exactly. No matter what happens this season, the injury concerns won't just magically vanish. If you aren't going to commit now, why would you commit later for more money? It wouldn't make sense.

Exactly. No matter what happens this season, the injury concerns won't just magically vanish. If you aren't going to commit now, why would you commit later for more money? It wouldn't make sense.

If he's healthy and has a big season they'll franchise tag him at a minimum.

Watkins was my all-time favorite draft pick, and now he'll probably go win a half a dozen super bowls with New England.The only way the Bills "win" in this scenario is if he has a great year , but lands on IR towards the end of the season. Otherwise there's no way they'll be able to afford him, and if I was Watkins there's no way I'd re-sign. I'd much rather play for a better team where I'm valued.

Thanks for !@#$ ing up once again, Buffalo.

Sometimes I wish I was born in another city, so I could look at Buffalo the way the rest of the country does.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Watkins was my all-time favorite draft pick, and now he'll probably go win a half a dozen super bowls.The only way the Bills "win" in this scenario is if he has a great year , but lands on IR towards the end of the season. Otherwise there's no way they'll be able to afford him, and if I was Watkins there's no way I'd resign. I'd much rather play for a better team where I'm valued.

Thanks for !@#$ ing up once again, Buffalo.

Sometimes I wish I was born in another city, so I could look at Buffalo the way the rest of the country does.

They have around 60 million in cap space next year. Sammy proves his foot is Ok and Dennison actually uses him the way he should and the team can make a big offer

If he's healthy and has a big season they'll franchise tag him at a minimum.

Yes, but isn't the tag still 4m more than picking up the option? Even if he were injured this season, that savings would make it worth awhile to keep a player of his potential for a fifth season. Does an injury this season really mean his career is over? That's what you're saying if you agree with the option not being picked up.

Yes, but isn't the tag still 4m more than picking up the option? Even if he were injured this season, that savings would make it worth awhile to keep a player of his potential for a fifth season. Does an injury this season really mean his career is over? That's what you're saying if you agree with the option not being picked up.

It would mean his Bills' career is over, but he'd still be in the NFL and do well I'm betting. I would have picked up the option based on how well others have recovered from the same injury.

It would mean his Bills' career is over, but he'd still be in the NFL and do well I'm betting. I would have picked up the option based on how well others have recovered from the same injury.

this is quite sincerely a Drs call. and of that i have little faith in the Bills not I Ever have.

Huge weak spot for the Buffalo Bills has been the medical advisement and rehab team.

But I would never pick up the option on an oft injured low production player. I expect harsh responses. but it is true.

his potential is near elite IMO and also there are some mitigating circumstances that have also held him back ( for one, his twit tweeting about get me the ball ) he was right.

But if the Bills feel he has recovered from the Foot injury? They will likely pay him. kid can ball for sure.

I dont think he is healthy or they would be working a long term contract over this season to present to his agent

this is quite sincerely a Drs call. and of that i have little faith in the Bills not I Ever have.

Huge weak spot for the Buffalo Bills has been the medical advisement and rehab team.

But I would never pick up the option on an oft injured low production player. I expect harsh responses. but it is true.

his potential is near elite IMO and also there are some mitigating circumstances that have also held him back ( for one, his twit tweeting about get me the ball ) he was right.

But if the Bills feel he has recovered from the Foot injury? They will likely pay him. kid can ball for sure.

I dont think he is healthy or they would be working a long term contract over this season to present to his agent

Low production? Sammy?

I would have picked it up too, but he was Whaley's guy, I guess. If he lives up to his potential elsewhere, will McD be judged as harshly for letting him go as Whaley was for trading up for him? Same waste.... But I doubt it.

Fair enough. That's the part I can't understand. Why would anyone want his Bills career to be over if he still could have a promising NFL career? You said you would have picked up the option, so we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

I would have picked it up too, but he was Whaley's guy, I guess. If he lives up to his potential elsewhere, will McD be judged as harshly for letting him go as Whaley was for trading up for him? Same waste.... But I doubt it.

I didn't care for Whaley or the Sammy trade. It was a deep draft for recievers, and its all been said. However, Sammy is one of our most talented players. You shouldn't give up on guys with his amount of talent.

Sunk previous costs should play no part in future retention.

Its not the same waste. If you pay a player 13 mil and he goes out and does what he did last year thats a waste. Similarly if he gets injured in any way and isnt putting up top numbers getting paid thats a waste. Let him earn it.

Fair enough. That's the part I can't understand. Why would anyone want his Bills career to be over if he still could have a promising NFL career? You said you would have picked up the option, so we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

I didn't care for Whaley or the Sammy trade. It was a deep draft for recievers, and its all been said. However, Sammy is one of our most talented players. You shouldn't give up on guys with his amount of talent.

I agree, The kid is amazing talent wise.

His foot is my issue. If he comes back 100%. i would be fine Tagging him at 17 while a deal got worked out and would hope they did it before seasons end.

I do not think he has come all the way back from this unfortunate injury yet.