Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

I'll go with a variation on the old Parcells line that you are what your record is regardless how good you think you are.

In three years Sammy has averaged around 12 games, 50 catches, 800 yards and 6 TD per year.

Blame it on injuries, blame it on the QB...it is what it is.

I'm fine with not picking up the option. In a perfect world, Sammy actually has a stud year and we work out a deal.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet

Source: #Bills are not picking up Sammy Watkins' 5th-year option. ... Could be a blessing. Franchise number much higher than option number.

What is "much higher"? Option was $13.3M fully guaranteed for injury, per Carrucci. Per Breer, franchise tag for WR predicted to be $15.7M, transition $13.3.

Essentially, the Bills are saying they'd rather take their chances at having to pay $2.5M more, than give Watson a full injury guarantee.

Who was his QB?

step off

I'll go with a variation on the old Parcells line that you are what your record is regardless how good you think you are.

In three years Sammy has averaged around 12 games, 50 catches, 800 yards and 6 TD per year.

Blame it on injuries, blame it on the QB...it is what it is.

I'm fine with not picking up the option. In a perfect world, Sammy actually has a stud year and we work out a deal.

Fingers crossed and win win

What is "much higher"? Option was $13.3M fully guaranteed for injury, per Carrucci. Per Breer, franchise tag for WR predicted to be $15.7M, transition $13.3.

Essentially, the Bills are saying they'd rather take their chances at having to pay $2.5M more, than give Watson a full injury guarantee.

I read 13 and then 17 projected to tag.

I could do that. If he stays on the field and plays up to his abilities. Which are pretty damn good

He's done pretty darn well despite a relative number of low targets for a #1 WR with EJ/Orton/Tyrod as his QBs

sure as heck has, when looking at the programs he has played in here in Buffalo

Edited by 3rdand12

Sunk previous costs should play no part in future retention.

Its not the same waste. If you pay a player 13 mil and he goes out and does what he did last year thats a waste. Similarly if he gets injured in any way and isnt putting up top numbers getting paid thats a waste. Let him earn it.

Thanks for missing the point completely! His potential is no less than what it was before being drafted. This guy still has HOF possibilities (NOT saying he goes, but he's young and he's special in the right conditions). McD should face the same wrath as Whaley if he misplays this. Probably more.

Those are 2017 numbers. Option numbers are calculated as transition tag numbers for the previous season. So the Bills declined the 2018 option for Watkins at $13.3M. The WR franchise tag number will probably be about $17M next season.

@salsports

Sean McDermott has said numerous times earn the right to win. Looks like he's challenging Watkins to prove he can stay healthy and produce

...if that happens, Bills can still place franchise tag on Watkins (albeit at a higher cost) or workout extension. We'll see how 2017 goes

That's kind of how I see it: Coach McWrestler has fired a warning shot across Watkins bow, so to speak.

The contract he will get if he has a huge season will be 100m.

Which is exactly why this could be smart play. If (and this is a big if) his medicals are unfavorable, it may be that the bills don't want to commit massive long term money to a guy who literally is a step away from a career altering injury. a big year this year coupled with a tag might allow the bills to both get something back for Sammy through a trade a year before his first round class hits the market and to avoid the risk inherent in a long term deal.

My point exactly. Some of these guys expect him to put up elite numbers. The guys that put up elite numbers have elite QBs.

I expected him to be on the field.> I dont dislike him and i know he is likely elite talent. TT and he were getting tight before the foot. If he was on the field the scheme may well have changed

Those are 2017 numbers. Option numbers are calculated as transition tag numbers for the previous season. So the Bills declined the 2018 option for Watkins at $13.3M. The WR franchise tag number will probably be about $17M next season.

so i was close?

That's kind of how I see it: Coach McWrestler has fired a warning shot across Watkins bow, so to speak.

as well he should. Best way to get him to work for it.

motivation is an interesting animal for pro athletes who have money already

Which is exactly why this could be smart play. If (and this is a big if) his medicals are unfavorable, it may be that the bills don't want to commit massive long term money to a guy who literally is a step away from a career altering injury. a big year this year coupled with a tag might allow the bills to both get something back for Sammy through a trade a year before his first round class hits the market and to avoid the risk inherent in a long term deal.

it's really this simple and plain from my viewpoint. well phrased

I expected him to be on the field.> I dont dislike him and i know he is likely elite talent. TT and he were getting tight before the foot. If he was on the field the scheme may well have changed

so i was close?

Yes. I might be a little high on the $17M too. $16M-$17M range.

Completely incorrect. They are making the wildly stupid decision to let him go. And they will get nothing, It's inevitable.

Picking up the option made him trade-able even if would be ill advised. McDermott has cornered himself with an illogical move.

McDermott should earn the right to win by not acting emotionally. In this case it looks like he is more interested in giving Sammy the perception of being punished than he is in helping the Bills. It's weird and it's dumb. Hopefully he will learn from this stupid mistake.

Yes. I might be a little high on the $17M too. $16M-$17M range.

close enough for my calculator

:thumbsup:

Hope all goes well and they work out a deal for all the right reasons well before tag time

Completely incorrect. They are making the wildly stupid decision to let him go. And they will get nothing, It's inevitable.

Picking up the option made him trade-able even if would be ill advised. McDermott has cornered himself with an illogical move.

McDermott should earn the right to win by not acting emotionally. In this case it looks like he is more interested in giving Sammy the perception of being punished than he is in helping the Bills. It's weird and it's dumb. Hopefully he will learn from this stupid mistake.

punished?