Best available veteran FA's that might fit for Bills

A Stevie Johnson is still a FA... Any interest at all??? I know he was injured a while back, but why not kick the tires?.. -See if he's changed..

SJ is happy with family, he has also had many nagging injuries.. I think he is done with football.. This was bought up to Donald Jones about a month ago.. Donald still close with Stevie.. Stevie is done.

Anyone want any of these guys?

Michael Floyd

Jared Odrick

Jairus Byrd

Gary Barnidge

Ryan Clady

Josh Byrnes

Gerald Hodges

Jason McCourty

Sam Shields

Byrd and Barnidge to me seem like they would be great fits. Barnidge gives some depth at tightend and overall at the skill positions a place where the team has very little depth. Byrd could push for a starting safety spot and at worst add some depth. Just my amateur opinion of course but I thought both Byrd and Barnidge were pretty productive last year. Byrd was healthy last year with the Saints and according to PFF and a lot of other advanced metrics had a improved 2016 up from his abysmal prior two seasons. I think a change of scenery with him might work out.

As far as Barnidge he caught 55 balls 600 plus yards with an abysmal QB situation and not much help outside of Terrell Pryor from the other skill positions. I think you can get a good year out of Barnidge and Byrd at least one of them.

Anyone want any of these guys?

Michael Floyd

Jared Odrick

Jairus Byrd

Gary Barnidge

Ryan Clady

Josh Byrnes

Gerald Hodges

Jason McCourty

Sam Shields

I would still like to see us sign Byrd if it is at a reasonable price. He likely won't sign a deal until close to TC. Barnidge is another guy I would like to have as depth on the roster. Clay is often hampered by injury it seems and GB is better than O'Leary.

Aren't some of you obsessed with comp picks??? AFAIK there is a timeframe after which signing players stops counting against a team's ability to get comp picks for free agents lost. Maybe it's already happened? If not perhaps they are waiting for that?

Tramaine Brock, 28 year old CB, formerly of the 49ers.

Recently released for a domestic violence arrest. But, hey - innocent until proven guilty. And doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

Others...

LB Gerald Hodges, 26, 49ers

S Tre Boston, 24, Panthers

S Marcus Gilchrist, 28, Jets

LB Sio Moore, 27, Cardinals

DT Dan Williams, 30, Raiders

S Daimion Stafford, 26, Titans

CB Jason McCourty, 29, Titans

No doubt the Bills still need to fill some holes.

From the below mentioned group I'd love to see the Bills sign Boldin, Byrd, Barnidge, McCourty and Shields.

Anquan Boldin

Michael Floyd

Jared Odrick

Jairus Byrd

Gary Barnidge

Ryan Clady

Josh Byrnes

Gerald Hodges

Jason McCourty

Sam Shields.

There's still a need at OLB so Hodges might be helpful as well.

Corey Graham is still out there.

I would pass on any of those who count against the compensatory pick formula.

As it stands if Bills would cut two of the FA they signed they would be in line to get a 3rd round compensatory draft pick next year.https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

now it updated. Blanton does not count. Bills need to cut 3. It could happen.

Edited by cba fan

I would pass on any of those who count against the compensatory pick formula.

As it stands if Bills would cut two of the FA they signed they would be in line to get a 3rd round compensatory draft pick next year.https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

now it updated. Blanton does not count. Bills need to cut 3. It could happen.

Off the top of my head, Odrick, Barnidge and McCourty were all cuts so they wouldn't count against the formula. Edited by JM57

....Byrd burned bridges on his way out.......as did Moulds......must be Rap's ringing endorsement that has clubs lining up to interview 'ol Jarius..............

"Byrd missed 15 games his first two seasons in New Orleans and then was benched in 2016. There's no other way to put it than to say Byrd was a colossal bust."

Really hope we can add a LB with some speed to play the weakside. It's our biggest hole by far imo. It's a key position in this d and we currently have Humber and Milano to man the spot. I'd be stoked if Milano can turn out to be a legit starter but I wouldn't count on it just yet

Does anyone really believe that when trying to put together the best team possible, that the GM says "Oh, we can't sign this player...he can help us, but we would lose out on a compensatory pick".

Who freakin' cares!

I think Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and New England usually care....

If Floyd has his head straight I think he could really help, I think he's much better than Andre Holmes / Dez Lewis and gives us a big body receiver who would fit nicely in 3 WRs sets with Sammy / Zay, but it doesn't seem that McD has any interest in borderline off the field players.

I like the pursuit of Barnidge and Boston.

I'm curious what the Bengals price on Jeremy Hill would be, they just took Mixon high and Hill is in his walk year, he's pretty out of favor with the coaching staff, if we could snag him for a 7th he could be an interesting compliment to Shady if he regains his form.

Daryl Washington is another questionable character guy I doubt we'd look at and I'm not sure the situation in Arizona but I think he'd fit the scheme if he could be had for cheap.

For the record, as of today, players will not count against the compensatory pick formula.

I know. I just think it's funny when people say "do GMs actually care about comp picks?" and the best run organizations usually try to maximize their comp picks.

I think FA is a suckers game for the most part anyway. It's one thing if you have the cap space to sign a guy like Gilmore who you are certain can be a major player in your system, it's something else when you have to carpet bomb the available players to fill out your roster. Yes, you'll occasionally run into a Zach Brown, but since you are making minimal risk moves to protect yourself you get no benefits of finding the player outside of a year or two before they are back in the market for much more money.

If Floyd has his head straight I think he could really help, I think he's much better than Andre Holmes / Dez Lewis and gives us a big body receiver who would fit nicely in 3 WRs sets with Sammy / Zay, but it doesn't seem that McD has any interest in borderline off the field players.

I like the pursuit of Barnidge and Boston.

I'm curious what the Bengals price on Jeremy Hill would be, they just took Mixon high and Hill is in his walk year, he's pretty out of favor with the coaching staff, if we could snag him for a 7th he could be an interesting compliment to Shady if he regains his form.

Daryl Washington is another questionable character guy I doubt we'd look at and I'm not sure the situation in Arizona but I think he'd fit the scheme if he could be had for cheap.

I know. I just think it's funny when people say "do GMs actually care about comp picks?" and the best run organizations usually try to maximize their comp picks.

I think FA is a suckers game for the most part anyway. It's one thing if you have the cap space to sign a guy like Gilmore who you are certain can be a major player in your system, it's something else when you have to carpet bomb the available players to fill out your roster. Yes, you'll occasionally run into a Zach Brown, but since you are making minimal risk moves to protect yourself you get no benefits of finding the player outside of a year or two before they are back in the market for much more money.

Draft picks and UDFAs are always something of a shot in the dark whereas with FAs, there is a "book" on how capable they are against NFL competition. Their success rate should be higher. To twist Dennis Green's famous quote, "They are who we think they are."

Draft picks and UDFAs are always something of a shot in the dark whereas with FAs, there is a "book" on how capable they are against NFL competition. Their success rate should be higher. To twist Dennis Green's famous quote, "They are who we think they are."

Two words: Albert Haynesworth

A lot goes into NFL success and whether or not that success will translate to a new team. Draft picks are cost controlled risks, but usually motivation and hunger are not issues. With FAs you always have to weigh if a guy was a product of the system, if you can recreate the situations for his success, if he'll still have the fight in him when he's getting paid or if you take a chance on a guy it's usually a short term deal while a draft pick gives you 3-4 years of a very cheap contributor. Unless it's a QB you take high, a draft pick isn't going to put your franchise in a major hole in regards to the cap. There's a risk/reward with both scenarios, but the ratio tends to favor draft picks over FAs.