Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Obviously Beane has the McD connection. But I wonder how the Bills are deciding who to interview? You need a lot of insider knowledge to know who the good personnel guys are (guys who don't currently sit in the top spot).

Did we hire a search firm? Does Pegs have a retired GM or HC as an unofficial adviser?

This is a great question. I know that they have really tried to keep a lot of things under wraps at OBD this off-season, so they might have an adviser that has kept quiet about it, but there haven't been rumblings about it in the least.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills interviewing Eagles director of college scouting Trey Brown

Here's commercial #Eagles Trey Brown was in for Microsoft Surface back in 2016. He's interviewing w/#Bills

http://youtube.com/watch?v=idDUQCzn_nA

@rapsheet

#Bills owners are interviewing #Eagles Director of College Scouting Trey Brown for the vacant GM job today. My post:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806857/article/bills-interviewing-trey-brown-for-vacant-gm-positionTrey Brown is also an ex-patriots scout per Rapaport

and there's your Rooney Rule candidate

Even if he knows the job is going to Beane, he might appreciate the exposure. Now his name is out there as a GM candidate for the next round of openings.

The exposure is great and there is real benefit to going through the experience and fine tuning your presentation for the next time. Practice makes you better (I think I heard that from Allen Iverson?). Even if you're pretty sure the position is filled, they are flattering you with the invitation. I wouldn't be above doing my homework and making a quick trip. I'd be thankful for the opportunity.

The exposure is great and there is real benefit to going through the experience and fine tuning your presentation for the next time. Practice makes you better (I think I heard that from Allen Iverson?). Even if you're pretty sure the position is filled, they are flattering you with the invitation. I wouldn't be above doing my homework and making a quick trip. I'd be thankful for the opportunity.

Agree fully, the opportunity to participate in the interview PROCESS is valuable.

Plus, in this specific situation, the Pegulas have shown, through their hiring of Rex Ryan, that they can be blown away by a personality. So, once you get your foot inside the door, you never know.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

Obviously Beane has the McD connection. But I wonder how the Bills are deciding who to interview? You need a lot of insider knowledge to know who the good personnel guys are (guys who don't currently sit in the top spot).

Did we hire a search firm? Does Pegs have a retired GM or HC as an unofficial adviser?

From the Buffalo News regarding McDermott. I wonder if it's a similar situation for GM:

Let the record also show that, as Pegula was careful to explain Sunday, Whaley "wasn’t the only person involved in hiring the new head coach. It was Kim and I and a lot of input from other places."

One of those places was the NFL's Personnel Development Committee, which includes former Bills GM and Hall-of-Famer Bill Polian. Polian, fellow Hall-of-Famers Ron Wolf, Tony Dungy, John Madden and other committee members submitted a list of candidates that was distributed to all of the owners of teams searching for a new coach. McDermott's name jumped out at the Pegulas and they promptly made him the first of four candidates they would interview.

Bills interviewing Eagles director of college scouting Trey Brown

Here's commercial #Eagles Trey Brown was in for Microsoft Surface back in 2016. He's interviewing w/#Bills

http://youtube.com/watch?v=idDUQCzn_nA

@rapsheet

#Bills owners are interviewing #Eagles Director of College Scouting Trey Brown for the vacant GM job today. My post:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806857/article/bills-interviewing-trey-brown-for-vacant-gm-positionTrey Brown is also an ex-patriots scout per Rapaport

So, is this the 3rd GM candidate the Bills have interviewed now?

Him, Beane and Gaine are the only 3 I've heard of.

Wonder if they will interview that Bret Veach from KC.

I kind of feel like it's a foregone conclusion that Brandon Beane is our next GM though.

So, is this the 3rd GM candidate the Bills have interviewed now?

Him, Beane and Gaine are the only 3 I've heard of.

Wonder if they will interview that Bret Veach from KC.

I kind of feel like it's a foregone conclusion that Brandon Beane is our next GM though.

If the Sabres search is in any indication we should see at least 2-4 more. Veach is probably one, someone from Pitt and maybe someone from GB.

Apparently the first rule for a potential GM with the Bills is they MUST have a first or last name starting with "Br".

Brandon Beane, Brian Gaine, and Trey Brown are the candidates so far...

It sounds like the Bills are looking for a GM that doesn't have a fixed overall vision but can take McDermott's vision and find players that fit for the coach to make a final decision on. That sounds like a perfect fit for Whaley to me. Bring him in.

Edited by vincec

It sounds like the Bills are looking for a GM that doesn't have a fixed overall vision but can take McDermott's vision and find players that fit for the coach to make a final decision on. That sounds like a perfect fit for Whaley to me. Bring him in.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Am I the only one not finding the rumored guys all that inspiring? Granted, I am not that familiar with a bunch of them, but what stands out to me is the lack of track record or GM experience. I am not going to put much thought into this, but was hoping to see some names that brought more evidence of being able to effectively do the job well.

That is where I am. I think, McWrestler essentially wants a head scout to do a detailed job collecting and processing information so he can make the calls, though, so maybe the lack of track record or GM experience is actually right for the job. What confuses me is how contracts will be handled and who will be accountable there.

There were various hints they had used a search firm during the HC search, so they may in fact be doing the same for GM. They also seemed to be putting some weight on the NFL Career Development Advisory Panel candidates for HC jobs. I don't know who was on their GM list, but it's possible they're making use of that as well. Unofficial adviser, Polian would be my guess.

I'm thinking that the interview process is more or less a formality and Beane is the man.