Bills GM Candidates

wppete

It seems like both teams are going the young, up and coming, super smart route.

I like it.

If it works out and these guys live up to all the accolades and praise they get "around the league" then we could be set for a lot of fun for quite a while!

i hope you are right....Watching the St Louis v Nashville playoff game yesterday , would be nice to see the Sabres playing.. the Bills in the playoffs.. seems like a lifetime since there was a playoff game for a Buffalo team.. cant we have a bone thrown to us?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might be better to not have someone with a McDermott connection. As long as they get on is the important thing, not their history. We had 2 years of Rex having favourites, we need the best candidate not just a mate of McDermott. I like the Packers link as they more than any team focus on building through the draft which has been the Bills weakness

I think it might be better to not have someone with a McDermott connection. As long as they get on is the important thing, not their history. We had 2 years of Rex having favourites, we need the best candidate not just a mate of McDermott. I like the Packers link as they more than any team focus on building through the draft which has been the Bills weakness

I'll be really surprised if we hire someone with no prior working relationship with McDermott. I'm a bit surprised we haven't interviewed Brett Veach. Has there been any news regarding him and the position. Last thing I heard was Shady giving him his endorsement.

I still feel like it's just a foregone conclusion that it's Brandon Beane's job.

I am very glad to see them interviewing Brian Gutekunst, but if it's true that they already have a 2nd interview set up with Beane, I am not sure how seriously they are actually considering him.

The Bills and Sabres MO under Pegula has been that any time a guy gets a 2nd interview, he gets the job.

I feel like it's been a poorly kept secret for quite a while now anyway that it's Brandon Beane's job.

I honestly don't know enough about Beane to make any real judgements on him. I just hope he's truly the best man for the job, if he is our next GM.

They better hire some very very good personnel men and scouts though. I don't think Beane has a scouting background, does he?

Edited by BillsFan4

I still feel like it's just a foregone conclusion that it's Brandon Beane's job.

I am very glad to see them interviewing Brian Gutekunst, but if it's true that they already have a 2nd interview set up with Beane, I am not sure how seriously they are actually considering him.

The Bills and Sabres MO under Pegula has been that any time a guy gets a 2nd interview, he gets the job.

I feel like it's been a poorly kept secret for quite a while now anyway that it's Brandon Beane's job.

I honestly don't know enough about Beane to make any real judgements on him. I just hope he's truly the best man for the job, if he is our next GM.

They better hire some very very good personnel men and scouts though. I don't think Beane has a scouting background, does he?

To be fair, most second interviews are an indication that candidiate is getting the job. It's more common of a practice beyond the Pegulas.

That being said, you can't please all the people all the time. If we just handed the job to beane, there would be a lot more grief.

Like another poster had pointed out, this is a good learning experience for Buffalo. Pick the minds of other nfl teams personnel to see how they conduct business. Even if they don't intend to hire the person, getting intel is never a bad thing.

and what if this person wants to hire his own coach?

If their vision for how to build a team doesn't align with our current coach they aren't going to get the job. Having a past connection to the coach is not a prerequisite for sharing a vision on how to build the team.

To be fair, most second interviews are an indication that candidiate is getting the job. It's more common of a practice beyond the Pegulas.

That being said, you can't please all the people all the time. If we just handed the job to beane, there would be a lot more grief.

Like another poster had pointed out, this is a good learning experience for Buffalo. Pick the minds of other nfl teams personnel to see how they conduct business. Even if they don't intend to hire the person, getting intel is never a bad thing.

Agreed.

And like I said I honestly don't know enough about Beane to have much of an opinion on how qualified he is for the job. I know he's been being groomed in Carolina for years, and that Carolina fans are somewhat upset at possibly losing him.

I just wish we had done an exhaustive search and found the absolute best candidate for the job. But maybe Beane really is the best man for the job. I guess I just don't like that It seems like this was Beane's job from day 1. I kind of feel like this search was more/less just a sham. But Beane hasn't been hired yet, so I am a little early saying this...

Who knows what will happen though. Maybe they will hire some top end personnel men and scouts (or other front office exec types) to help them. Or maybe they won't even need to.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be optimistic if Beane gets hired. I will give them the benefit of the doubt from day 1 and wait to see what they do over time. I do think it's very important that you have a coach and GM who trust each other and work very well together, and McDermott doesn't seem the type that would want an unqualified guy in the GM role. If he wants Beane that badly, there has to be a good reason for it.

Agreed.

And like I said I honestly don't know enough about Beane to have much of an opinion on how qualified he is for the job. I know he's been being groomed in Carolina for years, and that Carolina fans are somewhat upset at possibly losing him.

I just wish we had done an exhaustive search and found the absolute best candidate for the job. But maybe Beane really is the best man for the job. I guess I just don't like that It seems like this was Beane's job from day 1. I kind of feel like this search was more/less just a sham. But Beane hasn't been hired yet, so I am a little early saying this...

Who knows what will happen though. Maybe they will hire some top end personnel men and scouts (or other front office exec types) to help them. Or maybe they won't even need to.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be optimistic if Beane gets hired. I will give them the benefit of the doubt from day 1 and wait to see what they do over time. I do think it's very important that you have a coach and GM who trust each other and work very well together, and McDermott doesn't seem the type that would want an unqualified guy in the GM role. If he wants Beane that badly, there has to be a good reason for it.

I hope it isn't him. It will be like a comedy.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/446158/p446158_b_v8_ae.jpg&imgrefurl=http://google.com/search%3Ftbm%3Disch%26q%3DMr.%2520Bean&h=1440&w=960&tbnid=IAR5oeBGI12bvM:&tbnh=186&tbnw=124&usg=__vhqm6XpLqEVzy4H2aHA-gGCGLzE=&vet=10ahUKEwjtg5b9-eDTAhXCRSYKHTdXD4wQ_B0IjAEwDw..i&docid=cs5LxAW2tniLxM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtg5b9-eDTAhXCRSYKHTdXD4wQ_B0IjAEwDw&ei=dbwQWa31FMKLmQG3rr3gCA

Explain to me why, just because you're close to someone, and talked a lot of football with them, and have similar philosophy about the game, and consider them a good friend, you're going to agree on the merits of players? I violently disagree with my closest friends I grew up with, on here, and I watch games with now all the time. It's natural. Not to mention the guy in charge never was responsible for signing players in his life.

Explain to me why, just because you're close to someone, and talked a lot of football with them, and have similar philosophy about the game, and consider them a good friend, you're going to agree on the merits of players? I violently disagree with my closest friends I grew up with, on here, and I watch games with now all the time. It's natural. Not to mention the guy in charge never was responsible for signing players in his life.

I'd prefer someone with some background over "favoritism" angle.

Do any of the syndicates have any related experience that outweighs the others?

I'd prefer not to read all 23 pages

That problem could have been avoided IF they had hired a GM first. Im just hoping they get it right, because if they don't, and fire the GM and HC again, that will take us to the 20 year mark of the drought.

If their vision for how to build a team doesn't align with our current coach they aren't going to get the job. Having a past connection to the coach is not a prerequisite for sharing a vision on how to build the team.

This

@SalSports

Source close to Bills GM search tells me Beane's experience in all areas of football (college scout, pro scout, cap) are a big plus for him.

But source also said 2nd interview is partly because he was talked to early on and, after other interviews, want to revisit things said.

That problem could have been avoided IF they had hired a GM first. Im just hoping they get it right, because if they don't, and fire the GM and HC again, that will take us to the 20 year mark of the drought.

and will this future GM be allowed to fire the head coach?

Is there way to get Brandon Beane and Brian Gukenust?

Brandon Beane more of President Of Football Operations type while the other interviews have been scouts. It's very possible they hire Beane as President or Vice President of football Ops and then hire Gukenust as General Manager.

Brandon Beane more of President Of Football Operations type while the other interviews have been scouts. It's very possible they hire Beane as President or Vice President of football Ops and then hire Gukenust as General Manager.

....would give you a pretty solid FO, something lacking since Polian.........

I think there is more thought put into this process than most people thought initially. If this was Beane's job he would have gotten it after Trey Brown's interview. Pegula's MO means we should see at least one or two more interviews (usually 5 to 6 interviewed) and while there probably is an early favorite it won't be handed to Beane. Veach might not want the job but he probably would be one if he did and Wolf might be in the same boat.

and will this future GM be allowed to fire the head coach?

Not that the positions are mutually exclusive but was Whaley ever able to hire and fire his own coach?