Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Brandon Beane more of President Of Football Operations type while the other interviews have been scouts. It's very possible they hire Beane as President or Vice President of football Ops and then hire Gukenust as General Manager.

You're butchering his name, but I like this idea. Gutekunst would be a great get I think.

Beane reports to Pegula and runs the operation. McD and Gute report to Beane. Probably won't happen but that's my wish.

Edited by eball

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is more thought put into this process than most people thought initially. If this was Beane's job he would have gotten it after Trey Brown's interview. Pegula's MO means we should see at least one or two more interviews (usually 5 to 6 interviewed) and while there probably is an early favorite it won't be handed to Beane. Veach might not want the job but he probably would be one if he did and Wolf might be in the same boat.

Not that the positions are mutually exclusive but was Whaley ever able to hire and fire his own coach?

No, which is why I don't like or agree with how Pegula is running things. He may be right and this works out. I really hope it does. i just disagree. Many of us prefer a strong GM who has full control of the team, including hiring the coach.

No, which is why I don't like or agree with how Pegula is running things. He may be right and this works out. I really hope it does. i just disagree. Many of us prefer a strong GM who has full control of the team, including hiring the coach.

Agreed. But if the model is that McD has the power and is going to have a Reid / Carroll like "final say" (a risk with a rookie HC) then HE should be choosing, or at least strongly influencing the choice of, the GM. To me that must mean Beane.

So if the rumours are true Brandon Beane is a potential replacement for Whaley? Here is just one link I found:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/buffalo_bills_fire_gm_doug_whaley_brandon_beane_potential_replacement.html

If this is true The Bills are in the Hands of a First Time HC at the age of 43. And a First Time GM at the age of 39.

Hope the Pegulas know what they are doing. Their track record on hiring HCs and GMs is not great. Anyone seriously concerned here?

You know, the ONLY thing that has concerned me about McD is his lack of any experience as a HC (at any level). But I really like what I've seen so far. His inexperience hasn't manifested itself as problems. Not yet anyway. He has yet to coach a game or deal with real adversity, but so far, so good. And if he's a high quality HC, then I'm very willing to deal with a few bumps in the road while he hones his skills.

I figured make a thread to talk the replacements for Whaley.

Here is the first. Beane and the rumored Mole in Carolinas War Room. http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/who_is_brandon_beane_5_things_to_know_about_buffalo_bills_gm_candidate_bio.html

Another name to watch is

Joe Banner (@JoeBanner13)

4/30/17, 6:56 AM

name to watch in Buffalo is Brett Veach. Worked with Sean in Philly & is highly respected by Andy Reid & all the Philly people. In KC nowhttp://m.chiefs.com/news/article-2/From-Philly-to-Kansas-City-One-Chiefs-Scout-Shares-His-Journey/6e4c690a-1e7d-4765-a397-e4a210b1f5c6

Banner would be the worst possible option. He was an absolute disaster in Cleveland when he (briefly) ran the show. He'd be great for Pegula's bottom line, but it'd be at the expense of improving the football team. He desperately wants back into the NFL, but I can't see him as McD's kind of guy.

Banner would be the worst possible option. He was an absolute disaster in Cleveland when he (briefly) ran the show. He'd be great for Pegula's bottom line, but it'd be at the expense of improving the football team. He desperately wants back into the NFL, but I can't see him as McD's kind of guy.

It was Banner tweeting... the name to watch was Veach.

Agreed. But if the model is that McD has the power and is going to have a Reid / Carroll like "final say" (a risk with a rookie HC) then HE should be choosing, or at least strongly influencing the choice of, the GM. To me that must mean Beane.

I concur

The reality is that the wrestling coach already is the acting GM. He made the decision to keep TT against the desires of Whaley. It was the coach who made the draft selections. And it was the coach who after being hired immediately became the sole voice at the humiliation of the silenced GM.

Whether Beane or anyone else is selected as the GM he will know in advance the power relationship within the organization and who has the final say on personnel decisions. The relationship is that the GM is working on behalf of the coach and not the other way around. That arrangement is already established. What's obvious is obvious.

The reality is that the wrestling coach already is the acting GM. He made the decision to keep TT against the desires of Whaley. It was the coach who made the draft selections. And it was the coach who after being hired immediately became the sole voice at the humiliation of the silenced GM.

Whether Beane or anyone else is selected as the GM he will know in advance the power relationship within the organization and who has the final say on personnel decisions. The relationship is that the GM is working on behalf of the coach and not the other way around. That arrangement is already established. What's obvious is obvious.

Indeed. I hope that they stick with that. Someone needs to be in charge. I'd rather it were the GM but that isn't going to happen so it better be the Coach.

Indeed. I hope that they stick with that. Someone needs to be in charge. I'd rather it were the GM but that isn't going to happen so it better be the Coach.

To be blunt with you I'm troubled with the way the wrestling coach was bestowed so quickly with so much authority. Without a doubt the wrestler made an impression on the Pegulas when interviewed. He had his blueprint to remake this stumbling franchise into a more competitive and upgraded organization. The owners bought into what he was selling.

My problem with the apparent current arrangement where the HC is so empowered is that the GM perspective is different from the HCing perspective. Having a good relationship between the two offices is critical but that is not to say that the GM should simply be an extension of what the HC wants. Internal dynamics within an organization even to the point where there is some conflict is not always bad. It is when one is being challenged that new ideas and different options are considered.

On what I am observing so far at what is going on at OBD I am cautious and wary.

To be blunt with you I'm troubled with the way the wrestling coach was bestowed so quickly with so much authority. Without a doubt the wrestler made an impression on the Pegulas when interviewed. He had his blueprint to remake this stumbling franchise into a more competitive and upgraded organization. The owners bought into what he was selling.

My problem with the apparent current arrangement where the HC is so empowered is that the GM perspective is different from the HCing perspective. Having a good relationship between the two offices is critical but that is not to say that the GM should simply be an extension of what the HC wants. Internal dynamics within an organization even to the point where there is some conflict is not always bad. It is when one is being challenged that new ideas and different options are considered.

On what I am observing so far at what is going on at OBD I am cautious and wary.

Everyone is making a lot of assumptions here. I think the prudent path is to wait and see what is announced regarding power structure once a hire or hires are made.

Perhaps McD has no interest in being the de facto GM and only served in that role through the draft out of necessity?

@john_wawrow

Here's a couple of things to keep an eye on as things start getting late in the Buffalo GM searches:

Blesto scouting meetings usually take place in a couple of weeks. The #Bills have no scouts.

Other NFL teams are already revamping their scouting staffs. What talent will be left to choose from when new #Bills GM arrives?

jw brings up an interesting point, but it's not a huge concern IMO

There are so many scouts fighting for jobs with NFL teams that they'll have plenty of talent from which to choose.

Edited by thebandit27

Everyone is making a lot of assumptions here. I think the prudent path is to wait and see what is announced regarding power structure once a hire or hires are made.

Perhaps McD has no interest in being the de facto GM and only served in that role through the draft out of necessity?

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the highlighted comment. As soon as he was hired he became the voice of the football operation over the then muted and castrated GM. He made the decision on the qb, not the GM. This empowerment was clearly a condition of his employment with the franchise.

It's not surprising that most although not all of the candidates for the GM position have had a relationship with him. That's certainly not a surprise to me. I'm not say that it is a bad thing for the next GM to have had a previous relationship with him but it is limiting one's options when you do that.

Can a strong man HC structure work? Yes. But I don't know why that wide ranging authority was bestowed to a person who has a lot of experience in the league but is inexperienced as a HC. As I said in prior postings the GM and HC have different perspectives attached to their jobs. The GM has a wider perspective while the HC has a more immediate perspective.

The Pegulas have made a lot of mistakes in hiring people in both of their pro franchises. In this case I think it would have been a better approach to hire a GM and then let that person hire the HC. I am not as entrusting of the wrestling coach with his expansive authority as most people are.

There are so many scouts fighting for jobs with NFL teams that they'll have plenty of talent from which to choose.

It isn't simply adding scouts to the organization. There is more to it. You have to get all the hires on board to understand what you value in players and the system you want them fit in. The newly hired scouts have a variety of perspectives and different language to describe the attributes of the players. You have to get everyone in sync and on the same page. That isn't a quick process. It especially takes more time when the house was completely cleaned out. Starting from scratch makes the task much more difficult and time consuming.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the highlighted comment. As soon as he was hired he became the voice of the football operation over the then muted and castrated GM. He made the decision on the qb, not the GM. This empowerment was clearly a condition of his employment with the franchise.

It's not surprising that most although not all of the candidates for the GM position have had a relationship with him. That's certainly not a surprise to me. I'm not say that it is a bad thing for the next GM to have had a previous relationship with him but it is limiting one's options when you do that.

Can a strong man HC structure work? Yes. But I don't know why that wide ranging authority was bestowed to a person who has a lot of experience in the league but is inexperienced as a HC. As I said in prior postings the GM and HC have different perspectives attached to their jobs. The GM has a wider perspective while the HC has a more immediate perspective.

The Pegulas have made a lot of mistakes in hiring people in both of their pro franchises. In this case I think it would have been a better approach to hire a GM and then let that person hire the HC. I am not as entrusting of the wrestling coach with his expansive authority as most people are.

It isn't simply adding scouts to the organization. There is more to it. You have to get all the hires on board to understand what you value in players and the system you want them fit in. The newly hired scouts have a variety of perspectives and different language to describe the attributes of the players. You have to get everyone in sync and on the same page. That isn't a quick process. It especially takes more time when the house was completely cleaned out. Starting from scratch makes the task much more difficult and time consuming.

I'm not so sure there isn't work going on behind the scenes and that there are going good scouts attached to these interviewees-especially Beane.

Of course that's all true...my point is that the scouting community is rich with talented people that can make evaluations--and the likelihood that the guys they're bringing on won't have, in the very least, a rudimentary set of player evaluations in the fold already is very low.

As I understand it, the information that's exchanged at this point in the offseason from scouts to FO staff is more of the general nature regarding the kid's ability to play the game, and less about scheme fit etc.

Will a later start put the team at a relative disadvantage? Probably. Is it anything that will adversely affect their ability to draft the right guys come next April? Highly unlikely IMO.

^^^ This! :thumbsup:

I've been told many professional sports franchises do thing differently, but I guess I just feel more strongly about traditional organizational structures.

John, please don't tell me you are going to continue with the "wrestling coach" nonsense ad nauseum.

I know of at least 17 that are available

IIRC they were in Philly together