GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OptimumScouting: I've been told Whaley was maybe the ONLY person in #Bills scouting/coaching staff that didn't value Tyrod as QB. Every coach/scout loved him

Did Whaley end his Bills career by treating EJ Manuel like a better player than Tyrod Taylor? Sure seems like it.

It has been clear for some time that Whaley felt this way despite being completely wrong. His qb vision killed him. Drafting a stiff like Cardale (this is a prediction, yes) doesn't reflect well on his qb eye either.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/138045-beane-was-the-mole/

Beane was the mole, per Carolina retards who think they know football but don't because they're carolina panther fans and seriously among the dumbest in football iq

aaaaaaaaand...

their thread talking about losing him:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/138039-bills-courting-brandon-beane-richardson-would-be-ticked/

i hope we smack the **** out of these idiots. i cannot stand their fanbase

As a transplant who has been in Carolina for 16 years, the Panthers don't exactly have the best draft history. If we jumped their picks with the help of Beano, they should thank us.

I wonder how much heat the Pegula's would have to take from both the local, and more importantly national media, before they realize they need to get the heck out of the way?

IMO they have used up all the goodwill they had built up when first acquiring the franchise(s).

To have this upheaval with both team simultaneously is mind boggling.

This is exactly why FO fires wait until after draft.

ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)

4/30/17, 8:00 AM

Bills did what Washington should have done: Keep G.M. through the draft so he can't share his research and evaluations with others.

Trading out of the #10 pick in '17 to acquire an additional #1 in 2018 should calm those concerns.

I don't see that. It means the Sean didn't see an elite talent at 10 for his defense. Maybe if Adams was there he picks him. If you see a tier of players that are similar you can trade back and he did take the cornerback anyway.

For those of you complaining about a possible inverted structure between the coach in the GM, you haven't been listening to Terry. Terry likes flat organizations built upon consensus. Whomever gets hired as GM will have to get along very well with Sean and they both will be tasked to work together, not in separate silos.

From what I understand Doug and Sean worked together, but perhaps Sean felt more comfortable with his own guy moving forward.

Folks in here claiming people won't want to work for the Pegulas...dude gives out 5year guaranteed contracts with the willingness to spend whatever money is necessary..for both teams.

If you have confidence in yourself that with resources you can get the job done..and either GM or coach...you will be lining up to take job with either franchise.

Agreed... but only if you don't meet Russ before signing.

The biggest thing to take from all of this is never having to listen to Whaley do another interview again. Guy couldn't speak to save his life.

Yeah, cuz speaking skills are a crucial prerequisite in football.....

For those of you complaining about a possible inverted structure between the coach in the GM, you haven't been listening to Terry. Terry likes flat organizations built upon consensus. Whomever gets hired as GM will have to get along very well with Sean and they both will be tasked to work together, not in separate silos.

From what I understand Doug and Sean worked together, but perhaps Sean felt more comfortable with his own guy moving forward.

Seems this straightforward and simple to me!

Now let's get someone with an eye for talent in here, and make this thing happen...

@AdamSchefter

Bills' HC Sean McDermott had taken over this team in every way. Doug Whaley had been phased out, well before today. Now it's just official.

No man adam schefter is wrong. Because I have been reading on this board "insiders" telling me otherwise. Thats why I dont believe message board insiders. Everyone could have seen this from a mile away. Gms arent relieved of their speaking duties because owners love you.

I'm not criticizing the firing of Whaley---I'm applauding the owner. The firing of Whaley isn't an act of desperation, far from it. It is a decisive act to bring order and coherency to an amorphous and stagnating organization. The Whaley approach was a patchwork approach to building a roster. There was no long term coherent strategy. Decisions were made on a day to day survival mode mentality.

I'm far from declaring McDermott as the answer to this flagging franchise. What I can say about him is that he has a blueprint and a vision for the direction he wants to go. You can agree with it or not but there is at least a thought process to what he is doing.

The past generation, this organization has been a dismal failure. It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

The Pegulas have made some big mistakes and it is fair to criticize them. On the other hand they are learning as they gain experience as owners and are not afraid to act when it is called for.

Very well stated although I will reserve my opinion on Terry Pegula, it's still too early to tell but he seems too emotional for my liking.

They looked down the hall for a GM.

I love this line, it's so true!

I don't understand why this didn't happen at the end of the season. Doing this now just gives me this feeling that the Pegulas don't know what they are doing. It is kind of bush league to fire your GM immediately after the draft unless it's for insubordination or something similar.

If you trusted him enough to help select your head coach and put together a draft board, two of the most important parts of the job, what could have possibly changed between the end of the season and now?

I don't believe this at all. The biggest failure has been to identify and acquire a QB who can perform at the level necessary to propel the team beyond mediocrity.

The qb issue absolutely has been at the heart of the problem. Who on this board more than I has made that point? What imbecilic organization would allow a full generation to go by with only a few and pathetic attempts to address an issue that mostly determines success. If an organization can't address an issue that plagues it for nearly a quarter century you don't think that it signifies organizational dysfunction? There is more to why this franchise has been so bad for so long that people don't even waste their time mocking it. In a high profile sport and league this franchise is mostly irrelevant and invisible. It's more than not being able to come up with an adequate player for an essential position. It's about the incompetence of the people who have been managing the organization. It has been going on for so long that to many the abnormal has become the normal. And it has been going on for so long that the substandard had become the standard. With Pegula's decisive act that low standard normality is no longer going to be tolerated.

SHouldnt that have been the MO when hiring the new HC? That he would have to get along very well and work together with the GM?

What happens when the new GM, who the Pegulas will love, doesn't sync 100% with McD? Do they fire McD for someone the new GM wants?

How long does this cycle continue? Why wasnt it addressed when Whaley was the incumbent?

Good luck Doug. You were better, though you might not have been quite good enough. The moment you will ultimately always regret is being a good company man when the Pegulas said "let's hire Rex Ryan". You should have stood your ground. You had built a roster at that point ready to contend for the post-season. You let a loudmouth clown waste it.

The Pegula bill for paying people not to work increases even further.

Couldn't agree more. Whaley was a leaf in the wind, expected to do the bidding of coaches he didn't hire, but got blamed for their stupity anyway.

The qb issue absolutely has been at the heart of the problem. Who on this board more than I has made that point? What imbecilic organization would allow a full generation to go by with only a few and pathetic attempts to address an issue that mostly determines success. If an organization can't address an issue that plagues it for nearly a quarter century you don't think that it signifies organizational dysfunction? There is more to why this franchise has been so bad for so long that people don't even waste their time mocking it. In a high profile sport and league this franchise is mostly irrelevant and invisible. It's more than not being able to come up with an adequate player for an essential position. It's about the incompetence of the people who have been managing the organization. It has been going on for so long that to many the abnormal has become the normal. And it has been going on for so long that the substandard had become the standard. With Pegula's decisive act that low standard normality is no longer going to be tolerated.

Pegula's jackassery over the last few years is precisely why this team has been substandard

Then there is something seriously wrong with your keyboard because that is exactly what it said

Actually, I said his speaking skills were bad and not that they were a prerequisite for football.

Sounds as though your reading comprehension is as bad as Whaley's public speaking.

McDermott finally ends the Tyrod talk now that Whaley is gone. Tyrod could be here for many many years to come now, LOVE IT! Whaley wanted Tyrod out and McDermott absolute wanted him as the QB of his team. This season is starting to get some pull, love what the new coaching staff is doing!

I don't understand why this didn't happen at the end of the season. Doing this now just gives me this feeling that the Pegulas don't know what they are doing. It is kind of bush league to fire your GM immediately after the draft unless it's for insubordination or something similar.

If you trusted him enough to help select your head coach and put together a draft board, two of the most important parts of the job, what could have possibly changed between the end of the season and now?

because this is the start and year end dates for Draft people

McDermott finally ends the Tyrod talk now that Whaley is gone. Tyrod could be here for many many years to come now, LOVE IT! Whaley wanted Tyrod out and McDermott absolute wanted him as the QB of his team. This season is starting to get some pull, love what the new coaching staff is doing!

For once, we agree.

Thing that pisses me off the most is Whaley lost his job because if the Rex shenanigans. RussBrandon is the one who wanted to hire Rex and Whaley is getting screwed because Rex can't coach up a team.

I thought Whaley was a good GM and I've mostly liked his moves. But his ultimate downfall was not getting a QB in the draft (which I don't blame on him...we never had a good opportunity to grab one). There is so much more you need to draft a QB than just a need for one (coaching, good supporting/ complimenting teammates). I think Doug knew this and he also knew by forcing a QB could hurt the team longer down the line.

I think Doug was one of the best evaluators in the NFL at finding other NFL talent to sign for one or two year deals.

I hope we get a better GM than him. It would really suck if we hire some bum and we regress back to 4-12/ 5-11 seasons

Whaley lost his job because he was a bad NFL GM. Dont blame anyone else except whaley.

And like anything none of this really matters if they dont get the QB decision right.

And McDermott is now tied to

Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman.

You're probably overstating that a little. Maybe if we don't take a QB high next year and keep going with Tyrod then you can say that but right now it looks like Tyrod is a stop gap and Peterman is a shot in the dark. Edited by Bangarang

There is never a good time to fire the entire scouting staff. Beginning of the season you just hired a new coach (rookie) and dont really know how things will work out with him. If you are now more confident in your coach and realize the GM is holding you back, you have to let him go. And you cant really fire a GM and the entire scouting staff before the draft (then your draft strategy is in public domain). Now going forward far fewer holes to fill - WILL, backup RB, backup TE, backup kicker are really the only roles I can think of. So now is as good a time as any, no?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Actually, I said his speaking skills were bad and not that they were a prerequisite for football.

Sounds as though your reading comprehension is as bad as Whaley's public speaking.

You said "the biggest thing" was his issues with interviews

My apologies for not ignoring you sooner; I will rectify that immediately

Side note: I was wine tasting in Sonoma yesterday at a place called Imagery. One of the guys behind the counter sees my Bills hat and asks if I know who Doug Whaley is. I say "yes, he's our incompetent general manager". Turns out the guy knows him and is good friends with him. Showed me some texts about the draft with him and that he was feeling good about it.

Of course I felt bad at the time that I called him incompetent. Now? Not really sure.

It has been clear for some time that Whaley felt this way despite being completely wrong. His qb vision killed him. Drafting a stiff like Cardale (this is a prediction, yes) doesn't reflect well on his qb eye either.

....and pretty asinine......thought maybe had more Colbert in his ways than DonoHOLE......Tom Terrific wanted complete control over ALL personnel and force fed HIS choices to cheap, subordinating HC's.....thanks Tom, set the club back a decade....look at Grigson or Balke of late, and both are unemployed......Whaley "force feeding" may be why Marrone left......Doug tried to emulate General Patton in his quest for culture change which rubbed Whaley and Brandon the wrong way...read an interesting post elsewhere that said perhaps Pegula's meeting with Coughlin and discussions with Marrone post exodus (BOTH SU guys) began to open TP's eyes as to organizational flaws...........