Brock Osweiler

stuvian

Facts: Browns lost 16 mill cap space and received a 2018 2nd, 2017 6th

Texans get 2017 4th.

For another team to absorb O's 16 mill cap hit then Browns need to ante up. Especially considering other teams caps are more valuable as they do not have the unlimited cap Browns have.

So team that takes Osweiler needs to get Browns 2017 3rd and give Browns a 2018 4th.

Nobody will do that. Neither the Browns or any team.

Browns acquired Osweiler for draft picks because they had cap space for sale. They don't want him. They already got the value they deserved with picks. No one wants any part of giving up cap space and picks for a waste QB. Just cut him already. Browns are operating under the folly that someone wants Osweiler as a player, he is just cap space now. Just like a NBA player who has effectively retired but his contract is traded as an expiring contract. Except Osweiler contract has no value like in NBA as cap works diff in NFL then NBA.

Why would Browns give up the draft pick value they just acquired for taking Osweiler cap hit to dump that cap hit on someone else whose cap space is more expensive to use since they have less? So is more valuable. Arguably Browns should give up more than the value they got from Texans for the explicit reason is other teams cap space is more valuable as they all have less of it.

If Browns do what the draft value and cap space indicate here then it is just a spinning wheel move or Browns lose more than they got from Texans for reasons mentioned above. Browns thinking is like an asshat right now, why did Browns get Osweiler at all? We all seen what they did. Do they think the rest of the league is stupid.???

This scenario is like watching two different ticket scalpers holding up signs right next to ea other outside Bills stadium: 1 says need tickets, 1 says selling tickets. They both need another sign saying "we are idiots"

They had a ton of space - they bought a pick. There's no dead cap for years 3 and 4 so there's a .000001% chance he sticks around there, and even that is only if he's somehow really good.

The pick comes with 4 years of control and a cheap contract.

My thing with it is - Houston didn't really use the space this year. So are they planning to carry it over for a big 2018 push? Maybe a Clowney extension this summer?

We'll see I guess - its a terrible QB room as it stands right now and they used trade-up ammo to dump Brock.

Edited by dneveu

TT >than Brock O. Continues to be, look at the links you posted with stats it is clear TT is better. Even without TT rushing and factoring in league leading caliber D in Denver and Houston.

Are you trying to say Brock<TT ? That makes more sense.

If Osweillwer would accept a 2 year restructured with the Brownies eating the dead cap space this year, I'd swap 2nds (our #44 for their #52)

Why? he can't play. He could be cut in camp. And dead cap space this year only comes into play if he is cut.

So again why trade for a guy who you plan on cutting and then losing ground in 2017 2nd round? Just to look at the guy in camp?

Edited by cba fan

Proof is in the pudding. Osweiler won some big games to lead a team to playoffs. Taylor hasn't.

With arguably the best defense in the NFL.

Osweiler was so good that was replaced by the invalid Peyton Manning. I loved Peyton, but the man was a shell of himself.

Osweiler was benched with 8 games left in the season.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

With arguably the best defense in the NFL.

Osweiler was so good that was replaced by the invalid Peyton Manning. I loved Peyton, but the man was a shell of himself.

Osweiler was benched with 8 games left in the season.

He stepped up in made some big plays for Denver in crunch time. Taylor has not for Buffalo yet.

My favorite Osweiler story is the one where Tom Savage gets injured, Osweiler needs to go in, and he starts a fight with his HC, saying "You're only playing me because he's hurt!" What a B word.

lol! is this true?!

lol! is this true?!

Yeah, I'm afraid so.

Osweiler's subpar play wasn't that caused Houston to trade him away to the Browns at the start of the NFL year — it was a physical altercation between Osweiler and Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Osweiler reacted negatively when O'Brien asked him to start the second half of the Texans' Week 17 game against the Titans. Backup-turned-starter Tom Savage had injured himself on a quarterback sneak in the second quarter and was told at halftime he wouldn't be able to finish the game, requiring Osweiler to finish.

Apparently, Osweiler said O'Brien was only playing him because he needed to — not because he thought Osweiler was the better option at quarterback. Osweiler got up to leave the conversation, at which point O'Brien threw out an arm to stop him, prompting the quarterback to act like he was being "held hostage." That incident, according to PFT, sealed Osweiler's fate in Houston.

Yeah, I'm afraid so.

Osweiler's subpar play wasn't that caused Houston to trade him away to the Browns at the start of the NFL year — it was a physical altercation between Osweiler and Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Osweiler reacted negatively when O'Brien asked him to start the second half of the Texans' Week 17 game against the Titans. Backup-turned-starter Tom Savage had injured himself on a quarterback sneak in the second quarter and was told at halftime he wouldn't be able to finish the game, requiring Osweiler to finish.

Apparently, Osweiler said O'Brien was only playing him because he needed to — not because he thought Osweiler was the better option at quarterback. Osweiler got up to leave the conversation, at which point O'Brien threw out an arm to stop him, prompting the quarterback to act like he was being "held hostage." That incident, according to PFT, sealed Osweiler's fate in Houston.

Yep, the Bills need too trade for this tool. this is hard to believe behavior from a professional athlete...

Yeah, I'm afraid so.

holy ****! that's like some angry girlfriend shenanigans right there.

He stepped up in made some big plays for Denver in crunch time. Taylor has not for Buffalo yet.

I get what you are saying but come on, have you actually watched Osweiller play?

I'd rather have Tim Tebow.

Add in the price tag..... fuggedaboudit

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

At which point Sashi Brown, Hue Jackson and the guy from the Mets said: "we likey!!".

He started one year in college and had twelve games as a Bronco before going to Houston. I am aware of how badly things looked for him as a Texan but I can't help thinking that at some price point he is a good contrarian play. I think that Houston saw him as a finished product which he wasn't. I believe in renaissance QBs when given the chance in the right system (Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Steve Young).

My question is at what price point does taking Brock Osweiler make sense? I believe he is salvageable and in time could be a competent QB along the lines of Matt Stafford.

If we are trading down we are essentially opting out of this QB class and would likely entertain such options along with AJ McCarron etc

Take a look at my avatar - ASU

Things are just as bas as they look with Osweiler. In college he was decent for a good portion of the game (DECENT NOT GREAT) and then when the game was on the line he would have his patented turn over.

He's not better than Taylor and honestly I wouldn't feel all that great with him coming in off the bench to finish a game let alone start for a spell. His decision making is horrible and his character is questionable.

Edited by Yav

if we can negotiate his contract down he wouldn't be a bad option. Did Dennison not coach him in Denver? I think we might be looking at a Rich Gannon / Jim Plunkett situation here where a guy can succeed in the right circumstances

Dude... this is the 2nd time in one page you're bringing up a guy who played at an NFL MVP level for a few years and an NFL HOFer...

It's ludacrous. You're talking about a guy who was absolutely atrocious and has never even played at a high level.

Taylor has a much better chance of doing what you're talking about because Dennison's system certainly seems right for him; and even there I don't think the chances are high.

Osweiler?..............really?

This is the direction that Bills fans want to go in these days?

The dude is a scrub, pure and simple..........there's nothing salvageable about him.

Let his career die peacefully already.