Christian McCaffrey - Darkhorse pick

There is more and more talk of Christian McCaffrey going high (top 10). I think he may be a pick that the Bills make and no one expects it, but makes complete sense. Both the Bills FA WR pick ups that will contribute next year (Holmes and Philly Brown) are outside WR. The Bills are still lacking that shifting slot WR and with the way Dennison has described his offense (roll outs and play actions), it is a need. They has been some chatter that teams are seeing McCaffrey as someone that can play that role really well. Not to mention he can also run the ball. With Gilly probably gone, McCaffrey could run the ball 5-6 times a game, and then play the slot in 3 WR sets. You would get much more impact from him then just a typical outside WR.

There is more and more talk of Christian McCaffrey going high (top 10). I think he may be a pick that the Bills make and no one expects it, but makes complete sense. Both the Bills FA WR pick ups that will contribute next year (Holmes and Philly Brown) are outside WR. The Bills are still lacking that shifting slot WR and with the way Dennison has described his offense (roll outs and play actions), it is a need. They has been some chatter that teams are seeing McCaffrey as someone that can play that role really well. Not to mention he can also run the ball. With Gilly probably gone, McCaffrey could run the ball 5-6 times a game, and then play the slot in 3 WR sets. You would get much more impact from him then just a typical outside WR.

Brown is a slot receiver

Did his damage on the outside in Carolina.

He played over 40% of his snaps from the slot and that's what he was brought to Buffalo to do. Holmes is going to play the outside opposite Sammy with Brown in the slot. The Bills aren't taking McCaffrey. If they don't take a WR at 10 (which looks likely) OJ Howard could be an option.

was thinking the same thing but figure he will get about 12 carries a game .

just changed my sig before I saw this.

Well, Chris Brown didn't refute the possibility:

CB: You’re right it wouldn’t be popular, but it wouldn’t be a reach or outlandish pick at all. I’m pretty confident McCaffrey goes in the top 10 somewhere. Personally I don’t think he gets past Carolina at eight. The reason why he’s so valuable is because in addition to his elite physical skill set is he can legitimately be lined up at receiver in addition to running back. He can also help on returns.

So a player with his multi-faceted production and athletic measurables to match signals top 10 talent. Not to mention his dad had a successful career in the league with Denver.

If the Bills pick him the narrative will be, ‘here they go again replacing running backs like they did with McGahee and Marshawn and Spiller.’ If the Bills don’t match the Gillislee offer sheet that line of criticism will be even louder.

What will be lost in such a scenario is the veritable matchup nightmare McCaffrey would be no matter where he lines up on the field. I believe he’s an elite talent, so he fits the value at 10.

Mccaffrey as a WR will do well with a QB in a precise, timing offense like NE, LA Chargers, NO.... he isn't a fit with TT strengths. Imo

Sounds perfect for Kelly B-)

Well, Chris Brown didn't refute the possibility:

CB: You’re right it wouldn’t be popular, but it wouldn’t be a reach or outlandish pick at all. I’m pretty confident McCaffrey goes in the top 10 somewhere. Personally I don’t think he gets past Carolina at eight. The reason why he’s so valuable is because in addition to his elite physical skill set is he can legitimately be lined up at receiver in addition to running back. He can also help on returns.

So a player with his multi-faceted production and athletic measurables to match signals top 10 talent. Not to mention his dad had a successful career in the league with Denver.

If the Bills pick him the narrative will be, ‘here they go again replacing running backs like they did with McGahee and Marshawn and Spiller.’ If the Bills don’t match the Gillislee offer sheet that line of criticism will be even louder.

What will be lost in such a scenario is the veritable matchup nightmare McCaffrey would be no matter where he lines up on the field. I believe he’s an elite talent, so he fits the value at 10.

exactly.

so many people desperately want a WR but think McCaffrey would be terrible because we are picking another "RB" when in reality he is so much more.

There is no reason why he couldn't be Marshall Faulk for us.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

He might end up being the best WR in the draft. He also happens to be the best third down RB in the draft as well. We don't know how creative Denison is yet but with the right OC McCaffrey will be dominant. He fits the versatility that we like in players as well.

He also has the best jump cut since Shady McCoy.

MC Caff is going to be a awesome, under hyped player like Woodhead or Sproles. Or he will fade into obscurity quickly. I hope atleast 2 QB's are taken before us. Trade back or get the BPA. Hopefully our next GM will smart belecheckin his roster and deal before we lose em for nothing.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

MC Caff is going to be a awesome, under hyped player like Woodhead or Sproles. Or he will fade into obscurity quickly. I hope atleast 2 QB's are taken before us. Trade back or get the BPA. Hopefully our next GM will smart belecheckin his roster and deal before we lose em for nothing.

I just would never take a woodhead or sproles day 1

I would however take a harvin without the baggage.

I've never been on this guy as harvin explosive but I've never slotted them up for comparison either really

I'd say his floor is Giovanni Bernard. His ceiling? Hard to say, but Marshall Faulk isn't crazy ... that kind of talent is well worth a top 10 pick.

The OP makes sense. For the last week, people have been going nuts about losing MG and who's going to replace him. And loads of fans have been obsessing on the need for a WR. McCaffrey fills both roles on a high level. Plus he's a quality return man. And he's exactly McD's type of player. Picking him at 10 is not at all crazy. If he's there at 10, it won't be a shock if the Bills take him.

He played over 40% of his snaps from the slot and that's what he was brought to Buffalo to do. Holmes is going to play the outside opposite Sammy with Brown in the slot. The Bills aren't taking McCaffrey. If they don't take a WR at 10 (which looks likely) OJ Howard could be an option.

This is one year I'm totally clueless what they will do in the draft. It could be WR, CB, S, LB or OT. Or a TE, QB. They have played the smokescreen game very well. Watch them take a DL. And I would be cool with that too. Kyle can't play forever.

He is not strictly a RB. He will be used like Edelman or Hill in KC.

Agreed, but where were those guys drafted (and I realize that Hill might have gone in the 3rd but for the baggage)? He is a premium talent (not to mention a really great kid) and in the right system he could well flourish. But I think you can find guys to fill that role in the pros sooner than find a franchise back like AP or LF, who is IMO the only RB likely to go top 10.

Curtis Samuel in the second

I think I'd rather take Curtis Samuel in the 2nd/3rd for this role than McCaffrey at 10. Better value, similar skill set.

I wouldn't mind Samuel...do you think it would be bad idea to get Mike Williams @10 and Samuel @44 or 75?...Mike Mayock has Samuel tied for 5th best RB on his latest top 5 list

Edited by Tsaikotic

I wouldn't mind Samuel...do you think it would be bad idea to get Mike Williams @10 and Samuel @44 or 75?...Mike Mayock has Samuel tied for 5th best RB on his latest top 5 list

i think Samuel would be a great round 2 pick if they don't take a WR in the 1st. He can also play RB which would be fantastic for this team. He's very fast and explosive.

i think Samuel would be a great round 2 pick if they don't take a WR in the 1st. He can also play RB which would be fantastic for this team. He's very fast and explosive.

would you look at him as a RB or a WR?..if RB would you still go for a WR in rd 3-6?

would you look at him as a RB or a WR?..if RB would you still go for a WR in rd 3-6?

he is being projected as. WR in the NFL. If he was the only WR we got I would personally be ok with that. He was really good at WR in college (and RB). He's not a between the tackles guy at RB, but you can absolutely line him up in the backfield. Him with Shady and TT with DiMarco blocking would be nasty to defend.

He's an excellent prospect. The only real knock on him is that he's not very powerful, but that has never been his game. His ability to sidestep/juke guys is pretty ridiculous. But come on, he is not the missing piece in Buffalo. Not even close.

It would be pretty cool if he ended up in Denver. There is mutual interest, but they would likely need to trade up to get him.