Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it different?

Since you can't figure it out on your own................Owners were business people first. Anyone involved in the sport is a "fan". You think someone from this board would be able to go straight to the GM position? Know how to run an organization? Be my guest. Give it a shot. You wouldn't be given the time of day form any team.

Did they?

I don't remember one thread or article stating that at the time.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192419-bills-tender-groy-and-gillislee-but-not-ik-or-schmidt/?do=findComment&comment=4271319

Skimming through the first 2 pages, there are at least 4 posts wishing we tendered him higher or worried someone else wouod sign him.

That narrative continued with other threads that he would be "the next Hogan".

Since you can't figure it out on your own................Owners were business people first. Anyone involved in the sport is a "fan". You think someone from this board would be able to go straight to the GM position? Know how to run an organization? Be my guest. Give it a shot. You wouldn't be given the time of day form any team.

I'll take these one by one

Since you can't figure it out on your own

You can save the snark. I'm simply doing you the courtesy of allowing you to explain your position before I expose it for the inane sophistry it is.

Owners were business people first. Anyone involved in the sport is a "fan".

Millions of fans are business people. The Pegulas' business was in no way related to professional sports franchise management. They are quite literally rich fans who bought a team and are now the owners.

You think someone from this board would be able to go straight to the GM position?

Not necessarily, but who's to say. The underlying philosophy that you're espousing is that amateurs should not second guess professionals, which is both flawed and boring. It's flawed for several reasons.

First, it presupposes that anyone with such competencies would necessarily be hired on in such a capacity. But the NFL is a very limited field - there are only 32 NFL teams in the world. Becuase of that the overwhelming majority of people would never have an opportunity to put their abilities to the test.

Second, it assumes that the professionals must know best. Around the turn of the 20th century Montgomery Ward was one of the biggest retailers in the country. They determined that opening department stores was a bad idea and stuck with the catalog format. A nobody named James Cash Penney thought they were wrong and started opening his own stores. His stores quickly overtook Montgomery Ward who eventually realized they were wrong and were late to the party. If Penney had followed the Riverboat Richie philosophy of deference to authority he would never have started his empire.

Penney was actually more qualified for his undertaking than were the Pegulas as he had actually worked in the industry, the Pegulas had not.

Third, it ignores the plain reality that some posters have been right a lot more often than the experts have.

Fourth, your point is boring. The fun of this is tossing around different ideas and discussing them. If we all just deferred to the FO by claiming they must be right because they're the experts nobody would come here because it would be the most boring site on the internet.

Know how to run an organization? Be my guest. Give it a shot.

I don't think I could be a GM, but I think some of the posters in this thread would make better owners than the Pegulas. Many of them clearly know a lot more about football.

You wouldn't be given the time of day form any team.

Exactly

Edited by Rob's House

I'll take these one by one

You can save the snark. I'm simply doing you the courtesy of allowing you to explain your position before I expose it for the inane sophistry it is.

Millions of fans are business people. The Pegulas' business was in no way related to professional sports franchise management. They are quite literally rich fans who bought a team and are now the owners.

You think someone from this board would be able to go straight to the GM position?

Not necessarily, but who's to say. The underlying philosophy that you're espousing is that amateurs should not second guess professionals, which is both flawed and boring. It's flawed for several reasons.

First, it presupposes that anyone with such competencies would necessarily be hired on in such a capacity. But the NFL is a very limited field - there are only 32 NFL teams in the world. Becuase of that the overwhelming majority of people would never have an opportunity to put their abilities to the test.

Second, it assumes that the professionals must know best. Around the turn of the 20th century Montgomery Ward was one of the biggest retailers in the country. They determined that opening department stores was a bad idea and stuck with the catalog format. A nobody named James Cash Penney thought they were wrong and started opening his own stores. His stores quickly overtook Montgomery Ward who eventually realized they were wrong and were late to the party. If Penney had followed the Riverboat Richie philosophy of deference to authority he would never have started his empire.

Penney was actually more qualified for his undertaking than were the Pegulas as he had actually worked in the industry, the Pegulas had not.

Third, it ignores the plain reality that some posters have been right a lot more often than the experts have.

Fourth, your point is boring. The fun of this is tossing around different ideas and discussing them. If we all just deferred to the FO by claiming they must be right because they're the experts nobody would come here because it would be the most boring site on the internet.

I don't think I could be a GM, but I think some of the posters in this thread would make owners than the Pegulas. Many of them clearly know a lot more about football.

You wouldn't be given the time of day form any team.

Exactly

Right. I'm the one with the unrealistic views. Posters here who deal in emotional reaction would be better owners. Ok, nice to see how you mind works if nothing else.

Right. I'm the one with the unrealistic views. Posters here who deal in emotional reaction would be better owners. Ok, nice to see how you mind works if nothing else.

To be fair... if we lined up EVERYONE here and terry, there's a pretty good chance he wouldn't be the number 1 best owner on the list, if we ignore the cash factor.

That's not to trash him and say he's junk either.

Sure. I mean ........to be "fair" and all.

Pegula's just a fan who happened to be rich enough to buy a team. He has no special expertise in the field.

Your argument, to the extent you're making one, seems to fall under the fallacy that someone who is competent in one field must be competent in others.

:lol:

No, McDermott isn't a two-time SB DC.

But yes, Greggo was.

So....wrong.....and wrong.

Time flies.....but google is still your friend even when nobody else can stand the grouchy. :flirt:

Sage takes, my friend.....SAGE. :worthy:

Greggo's second stink slipped my mind, because you know tossed out of the league thing.

Yet the main point stands. You compare McD to mediocre head coaches, and complain about the effects of losing a backup.

Why not discuss why MG looks pedestrian when Shady is out of the line up?

Greggo's second stink slipped my mind, because you know tossed out of the league thing.

Yet the main point stands. You compare McD to mediocre head coaches, and complain about the effects of losing a backup.

Because it goes against the (bs) narrative Badnuts concocted in his head. First it was that shady is over the hill and injury prone, then he was certain McCoy would be out of the NFL and working in radio before he turned 30, then after he started playing well it shifted to he only plays hard on nationally televised games, then when that was proven to be bs he moved the goalposts to say it was the system

<Doing you a favor and editing this post to keep you out of the Penalty Box. Consider yourself warned- Chandler#81>

Because he hasn't looked pedestrian when Shady is out?

We all know he plays well in games that Shady also plays........including when Shady has NOT played well.

That should say enough.....but let's entertain your claim a bit and look at when he HAD to play in Shady's absence the past two years:

From the moment Shady got carted off after his first carry of second half in the Redskins game until the end of 2015 here are MG's numbers:

37 carries 202 yards 2 TD's for a 5.5 ypa

From the point they finally pulled the plug on Shady in his awful performance in Miami in 2016 until the end of the NE game that he sat out entirely with the hammy:

17 carries 105 yards 1 TD 6.1 ypa

Where are all these struggles?

Some people point to the Jets game at the end of 2015......but that's just one game and those results were very circumstantial........meanwhile McCoy has had a number of REALLY BAD production days himself.......and Gillislee had very good days in almost all of those same games.

The exception being the Jets finale in 2016........where McCoy ran 5 times for 10 yards(2.0 ypa)...got carted to the lockerroom with another injury...... and MG ran for *just* 15 and 40 with 1 TD (2.7 ypa).

They BOTH struggled that day.......which as I've stated many times wasn't on them or the OL as much as it was primarily because Tyrod wasn't out there.

But the slippery slope in crediting Tyrod for that space he creates......is admitting that McCoy benefits greatly by his presence too.......which is tough for some people to swallow.

Neither of these dudes are the 5.4 and 5.7 ypa backs sans TT.

There might not be a back who is truly THAT good without arguably the league's most dynamic run threat QB right now.

You are losing it Gerry......no real statistical support for your claim......just jumping in 100 pages in a thread and saying things that aren't accurate for some reason.

Because it goes against the (bs) narrative Badnuts concocted in his head. First it was that shady is over the hill and injury prone, then he was certain McCoy would be out of the NFL and working in radio before he turned 30, then after he started playing well it shifted to he only plays hard on nationally televised games, then when that was proven to be bs he moved the goalposts to say it was the system

<Doing you a favor and editing this post to keep you out of the Penalty Box. Consider yourself warned- Chandler#81>

Yeah c'mon Deranged Greggo......pull yourself together.....this board is just spoda' be bout the entertainment. :thumbsup:

When you get all worked up like that you just say and do a lot or really inappropriate, nonsensical things:

Like posting the same gif 5 times that depicts a guy claiming that he has huge metaphorical balls........while you are INTENDING to say he doesn't.......don't you understand that's not an effective use of a gif?

I mean, would you say a take was *weak*.....and then post a video of Leif Larsson benching 225 45 times and cementing his draft status ahead of Tom Brady? :flirt:

Seriously dude.....you gots-ta-chill with the personal fouls before you get a timeout.......your personal attacks don't hit close to home, anyway.

Nobody ever accuses me of not being ballsy and I've got 5 kids that I know of so those punches just don't land.

It's bemusing.....which can't be your intention. Do you intend to bemuse me?

This thread has a topic......Mike Gillislee......it's not about your personal issues with me.........which you insist on bringing here......just stay on point! :thumbsup:

Yeah c'mon Deranged Greggo......pull yourself together.....this board is just spoda' be bout the entertainment. :thumbsup:

When you get all worked up like that you just say and do a lot or really inappropriate, nonsensical things:

Like posting the same gif 5 times that depicts a guy claiming that he has huge metaphorical balls........while you are INTENDING to say he doesn't.......don't you understand that's not an effective use of a gif?

I mean, would you say a take was *weak*.....and then post a video of Leif Larsson benching 225 45 times and cementing his draft status ahead of Tom Brady? :flirt:

Seriously dude.....you gots-ta-chill with the personal fouls before you get a timeout.......your personal attacks don't hit close to home, anyway.

Nobody ever accuses me of not being ballsy and I've got 5 kids that I know of so those punches just don't land.

It's bemusing.....which can't be your intention. Do you intend to bemuse me?

This thread has a topic......Mike Gillislee......it's not about your personal issues with me.........which you insist on bringing here......just stay on point! :thumbsup:

Did you even finish 8th grade man? Reading your post just gave me a huge headache. Wow, talk about nonsensical.

We all know he plays well in games that Shady also plays........including when Shady has NOT played well.

That should say enough.....but let's entertain your claim a bit and look at when he HAD to play in Shady's absence the past two years:

From the moment Shady got carted off after his first carry of second half in the Redskins game until the end of 2015 here are MG's numbers:

From the point they finally pulled the plug on Shady in his awful performance in Miami in 2016 until the end of the NE game that he sat out entirely with the hammy:

Some people point to the Jets game at the end of 2015......but that's just one game and those results were very circumstantial........meanwhile McCoy has had a number of REALLY BAD production days himself.......and Gillislee had very good days in almost all of those same games.

The exception being the Jets finale in 2016........where McCoy ran 5 times for 10 yards(2.0 ypa)...got carted to the lockerroom with another injury...... and MG ran for *just* 15 and 40 with 1 TD (2.7 ypa).

They BOTH struggled that day.......which as I've stated many times wasn't on them or the OL as much as it was primarily because Tyrod wasn't out there.

But the slippery slope in crediting Tyrod for that space he creates......is admitting that McCoy benefits greatly by his presence too.......which is tough for some people to swallow.

There might not be a back who is truly THAT good without arguably the league's most dynamic run threat QB right now.

You are losing it Gerry......no real statistical support for your claim......just jumping in 100 pages in a thread and saying things that aren't accurate for some reason.

So you spent a long winded post reiterating that Bills running game depends on Tyrod, while scoffing off MG's bad games when he was the feature back, while conveniently ignoring the circumstances of the NE & Washington games? Does it matter that defenses don't worry about stopping the run when their teams are up by 3 TDs in the second half?

95 pages about not resigning a backup RB?

That's a demerit for commenting this late in the game.

Overall best reply yet.

blah blah blah...bye bye MGilly.

RB's are a dime a dozen.

DW, go get a real QB please

I'm pretty sure he knows that is kind of important. It's just not that easy. After about a half dozen teams, most fans are saying the same thing. In the meantime, we scored plenty of points last year (with TWO good RB's). Rex and the D cost us a playoff experience.

95 pages about not resigning a backup RB?

I'd estimate 2 pages were about whether badol has nuts, 5 were people commenting on the number of posts/pages, and about a dozen were hogan related pages (but nary a DaRick mention!)... I think even a page worth of Peter Pan in there if you look hard enough

So you spent a long winded post reiterating that Bills running game depends on Tyrod, while scoffing off MG's bad games when he was the feature back, while conveniently ignoring the circumstances of the NE & Washington games? Does it matter that defenses don't worry about stopping the run when their teams are up by 3 TDs in the second half?

:rolleyes:

Short-winded enough? :flirt:

Overall best reply yet.

:thumbsup:

The numbers are what they are.

I've posted them before but the rule of thumb for the opposition here is MG doesn't get credit for how he performs if Shady played because......well....they didn't GAMEPLAN to stop MG. :rolleyes:

MG only had 1 low producing game where McCoy didn't play at all........the other two such games he ran 21 times for 178 yards....a ridiculous 8.5 ypa.....and 2 TD's.

McCoy himself had 6 games in 2015-2016 where he averaged UNDER 2.5 ypa.

And ANOTHER 6 games where he averaged less than 3.9 ypa.

Add in 2 more where he still ran for less than league average ypa(4.2).

So that's basically 14 of his 27 career Bills games where he averaged a below league average ypa.

The point isn't that Shady isn't good........it's that you have to judge him by his entire body of work........and likewise with Gillislee.

Yep. These offseasons get crazier and crazier.

I'm guessing the average Pats fan even knows that they signed him.

i checked out their board. It's hilarious how much hand wringing they are doing over our backup RB. If I was a Pats fan I wouldn't ever waste time worrying about my 5th RB. But they are doing the little dance where if there is a report the Bills might match they start saying he's not that good and list all their other options that are so much better, but if it leans the other way they are all ordering his yellow jacket.