Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

Tyrod is far better than any QB in this draft. The bills are always trying to save money. There is no way we waste a first round pick on a one year starter, that has not even played in a pro style offense. Cardelle is bigger and better than this kid. Bills need to get an experience back up QB, that can help both Tyrod and Cardelle. How about the back up QB from the Vikings Shaun Hill

Underrated post IMO. Taylor is better than any of the now and likely in the future. I am an advocate of taking a QB after the first round pick if there is one you like. I also would argue that it is an enormous gamble to take a one year starter in Round 1. Also, not sure he is better than Cardale either.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the sub-paragraphs in a standard army 5 paragraph operations order is dedicated to the "Deception Plan." Every tactical plan should include a deception plan. American soldiers always want the enemy to think we're doing something different than what we're really doing.

I imagine some - if not all - NFL teams routinely consider deception planning at this time of year. I don't mean as some ad hoc, haphazard thing. I mean actually planning the best way to send inaccurate messages to the rest of the NFL to encourage other teams to go after players we don't want and avoid players we do want.

This is, after all, a multi-billion dollar business and the draft has huge ramifications. Why would you leave the deception-planning stone unturned?

Yes, my surmise is more based on Pegula who seems a more straight-forward fella to me. I just don't think he would have showed up to enhance deception, though its possible.

Trubisky is my favorite QB in the class. If they want him in the 1st they'll have to trade up and you know what I wouldn't hate it if they really like him. He has good accuracy and makes mostly smart decisions, it's just his experience that's the question.

I think it's huge that Pegula was there.

1) Shows me this is a real investment for the franchise and everyone is going to be involved in finding the right guy.

2) I will say I'm confused a little by no mention of Whaley. Was he not there? Was he, but it was more interesting if you only mention MCD and Pegula being there?

Rodak tweeted that Whaley was there, just not in the photo. Some appear to think that Pegula could be taking part in an elaborate deception tactic. He doesn't seem like that kind of fella to me. I think they're interested.

Dr. Who, on 10 Apr 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Some appear to think that Pegula could be taking part in an elaborate deception tactic. He doesn't seem like that kind of fella to me.

Agreed. I don't think the owner of the football team is just playing along with a smokescreen setup. I think the Bills are legitimately interested in drafting one of the top 4 quarterbacks. We'll see in a couple weeks.

Agreed. I don't think the owner of the football team is just playing along with a smokescreen setup. I think the Bills are legitimately interested in drafting one of the top 4 quarterbacks. We'll see in a couple weeks.

i agree with that and think it will be in the first 2 rounds. I don't think it will be in the top 10.

i agree with that and think it will be in the first 2 rounds. I don't think it will be in the top 10.

If they want one of the top four, I think they will have to trade up from #44. If you think there is a franchise qb, I wouldn't mess around; take the guy at #10.

Edited by Dr. Who

I think it depends on who they want. If it's Watson or Trubisky, they may need to take him at 10. If it's Mahomes or Peterman, they may be hoping to trade down and select him later while recouping a pick or two. If they could manage to trade down, draft a QB, AND add a 2nd or 3rd round pick, that would really be ideal.

Engaged owners are more successful in business than absentee owners. This is so well known in business circles that it's cliche.

Terry may have tagged along just to see how the process works. Or because he has friends in the area. Or another business interest. Or some combination of innocuous reasons.

Or, as I suggested on another thread, maybe it's part of the Bills "deception plan." At this time of the year, you want to mislead the other 32 teams and as much as possible encourage them to pick players you don't want and not pick players you do want.

There is no indication Terry's pretending to know how to scout QBs or telling Whaley who to pick.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Cool.

It's a good sign that they're taking the QB position seriously, but this is a weak class. Bad timing. Just like the 2013 scenario.

However, EJ never had the opportunity to be developed properly in the NFL. Hopefully, Trubisky or whoever will be afforded a couple years to develop.

If they want one of the top four, I think they will have to trade up from #44. If you think there is a franchise qb, I wouldn't mess around; take the guy at #10.

i think it's a reach at 10, personally, for any of them. They could trade down and take one later in the first or wait to see who falls to them in the 2nd. Bill Polian didn't think any were worth a top 10 pick and CBS only has one as a solid 1st rounder (Mitchell)

I think it depends on who they want. If it's Watson or Trubisky, they may need to take him at 10. If it's Mahomes or Peterman, they may be hoping to trade down and select him later while recouping a pick or two. If they could manage to trade down, draft a QB, AND add a 2nd or 3rd round pick, that would really be ideal.

Uggh, not Peterman. Trade back is ideal, but greedy. If you risk it, how high are you on the fella in the first place?

So you know what the Bills need but the owner cannot? At the end of the day he is the owner and can direct his team accordingly. I have always wondered why people think football is different than business. I let my teams do their job but I am accountable. If i disagree, there is a discussion but i make the call.

Now before someone calls out the owner will be calling plays, that is obviously different than large decisions that impact the future of the team for a decade plus.

It doesn't change what I said. You hire people to make those decisions. They are more qualified to do the job. The CEO of an airline isn't more qualified to fly a plane than the pilot.

Sports are different from other businesses in that your assets are your liabilities.

Should, football. Does, owner.

I think that's fair Chan. That's why I bring it up.

I think with the Saints @ 11 and Cleveland @12 and both rumored to being in the market for a QB.

Now it looks like we are serious as well, maybe they would like to swap picks and we gain picks.

Remember it's all a game of chess!

being in the market for one and dropping a top 10-15 pick/passing on a potentially elite player rated higher in this draft at another position are two different things imo. Browns were in the market last year too and waited until the 3rd. I'm not sold that they will take one in the first this year if they are truly being ruled by analytics in their FO as they claim. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not to read too much into this :) but our director of communications came from Philly. Last year around this time a photo emerged of Carson Wentz out to dinner with Pederson and the owner Jeff Lurie when they went to visit. Eagles did nothing to hide this. Similar, in a way. Bills RTd that photo of McD and Pegs at UNC.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/03/31/photos-lurie-pederson-roseman-carson-wentz/

Never forget...

Lurie and Roseman were 'mutually obsessed' with getting Carson Wentz

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/lurie-and-roseman-were-mutually-obsessed-getting-carson-wentz

Edited by YoloinOhio

Underrated post IMO. Taylor is better than any of the now and likely in the future. I am an advocate of taking a QB after the first round pick if there is one you like. I also would argue that it is an enormous gamble to take a one year starter in Round 1. Also, not sure he is better than Cardale either.

He is not better. He is a RB who throws the ball.

It doesn't change what I said. You hire people to make those decisions. They are more qualified to do the job. The CEO of an airline isn't more qualified to fly a plane than the pilot.

Sports are different from other businesses in that your assets are your liabilities.

I think that's fair Chan. That's why I bring it up.

Pegula likes to be involved. For better or for worse, that's who runs our team. He likes his HC and GM to make independent arguments, and he picks the winner.

I get your point but if I owned a team, I'd do the exact same thing. You have the final say on everything, wouldn't you want it on the most important player on your team?

Yeah, just not at his private workout. If he is strongly being considered, one of their visits should be used on him. At that point TP can interview him. He shouldn't have an opinion other than signing off on any prospect. Character is the only thing that he is qualified to speak on.

Yeah, just not at his private workout. If he is strongly being considered, one of their visits should be used on him. At that point TP can interview him. He shouldn't have an opinion other than signing off on any prospect. Character is the only thing that he is qualified to speak on.

Not trying to be funny here but why not? Have NFL scouts or GMs really proven to be experts at evaluating qbs? I mean if TP overruled all the scouts and GMs to chose a guy, I totally get your point.

But I think we completely overrated how hard it is to be a scout given all the information any normal person has at their disposal.

This doesn't necessarily mean we care about Trubisky and it doesn't even mean that we are in the market for a QB.

Trubisky has value. If people think that we're considering a QB at #10 they will either try to hop us and bump another solid prospect down, or trade with us ... which I think is the end game here.

Lots of smoke this time of year. Don't forget.

Not trying to be funny here but why not? Have NFL scouts or GMs really proven to be experts at evaluating qbs? I mean if TP overruled all the scouts and GMs to chose a guy, I totally get your point.

But I think we completely overrated how hard it is to be a scout given all the information any normal person has at their disposal.

I keep going back to it but why have a GM or personnel director if you are ultimately going to decide anyways? I think my pilot example is a good one.

You don't stick 25 cents in a machine and pull out a QB LOL. Posts like this crack me up, if it were this easy every team would do it.

Wow. I thought it was easy to do and we just weren't doing it, but now you come along and suggest it's tough....

I'm going to need a minute.

I keep going back to it but why have a GM or personnel director if you are ultimately going to decide anyways? I think my pilot example is a good one.

If they are considering a qb in the 1st, I think TO should have a final input. Obviously, I want the scouts and GMs to be the ones in charge but it's such an important position that I have no problem with TP being involved in the process.

But if he is overruling Whaley, then it's a major problem. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

I don't understand your criticism of the owner being at the workout. If the Bills are serious on using their first pick on a qb (I hope) then meeting him at a workout and at an interview session in Buffalo will give the owner a good sense of the player as a person. It's certainly not a secret that the Bills don't currently have a franchise qb. Shamefully, the Bills haven't had a franchise qb for over twenty years. And I guarantee you that everyone in the league and outside of it are aware of that fact. So everyone in the league is aware that the Bills might use a high pick on a qb.

The qb position is different from all the other positions. It is the face of the franchise. So the owner wanting to get a better feel of the qb as a person is a relevant issue for him to be involved in. The more the owner can meet with the player the better judgment he can make on the player beyond his football abilities.

Not to read too much into this :) but our director of communications came from Philly. Last year around this time a photo emerged of Carson Wentz out to dinner with Pederson and the owner Jeff Lurie when they went to visit. Eagles did nothing to hide this. Similar, in a way. Bills RTd that photo of McD and Pegs at UNC.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/03/31/photos-lurie-pederson-roseman-carson-wentz/

Never forget...

Lurie and Roseman were 'mutually obsessed' with getting Carson Wentz

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/lurie-and-roseman-were-mutually-obsessed-getting-carson-wentz

Thing is, philly traded up twice, if we had made that move I would believe the correlation.

They didn't hide wanting Wentz and did what they had to do to secure him.

We are sitting at ten and have, in one way or the other been linked to two other QBs as well.

Thing is, philly traded up twice, if we had made that move I would believe the correlation.

They didn't hide wanting Wentz and did what they had to do to secure him.

We are sitting at ten and have, in one way or the other been linked to two other QBs as well.

they had just worked out Goff as well that same week. Had not said they wanted Wentz and were still (at least publically) considering Goff. Obviously they had no choice in the end, anyway.

The bigger point is the involvement the owner had in the QB visits of those they were really interested in, and the public nature of it. With Boyko running the show.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Pilots may fly the planes but the CEO decides what kind of pilots should represent the airlines. A CEO doesnt need to know how to fly to determine character, safety record, work ethic, ect. As far as talent goes, he can leave it to other people to tell him of a pilots skills.

Met with Trubisky and the next day we sign T.J. Yates. Not sure if that means anything or not but that now gives us 3 QBs on roster. If we were to draft another one we would likely have to get rid of Cardale Jones.

...why not got into camp with 4?.....one eventually goes, one to PS and two on active roster.........

If they are considering a qb in the 1st, I think TO should have a final input. Obviously, I want the scouts and GMs to be the ones in charge but it's such an important position that I have no problem with TP being involved in the process.

But if he is overruling Whaley, then it's a major problem. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

I guess that's where it's sketchy to me. What if TP loves Trubisky but Whaley prefers Watson?

Pilots may fly the planes but the CEO decides what kind of pilots should represent the airlines. A CEO doesnt need to know how to fly to determine character, safety record, work ethic, ect. As far as talent goes, he can leave it to other people to tell him of a pilots skills.

Well said

I don't understand your criticism of the owner being at the workout. If the Bills are serious on using their first pick on a qb (I hope) then meeting him at a workout and at an interview session in Buffalo will give the owner a good sense of the player as a person. It's certainly not a secret that the Bills don't currently have a franchise qb. Shamefully, the Bills haven't had a franchise qb for over twenty years. And I guarantee you that everyone in the league and outside of it are aware of that fact. So everyone in the league is aware that the Bills might use a high pick on a qb.

The qb position is different from all the other positions. It is the face of the franchise. So the owner wanting to get a better feel of the qb as a person is a relevant issue for him to be involved in. The more the owner can meet with the player the better judgment he can make on the player beyond his football abilities.

I know that I sound like a broken record but what is TP's role in the process? If he prefers a certain guy does he ultimately make the call? If so, that's a problem.

I guess that's where it's sketchy to me. What if TP loves Trubisky but Whaley prefers Watson?

Well said

I know that I sound like a broken record but what is TP's role in the process? If he prefers a certain guy does he ultimately make the call? If so, that's a problem.

Then we're taking Mitch.

Well said

That's where I think you need to trust you GM to make the call or you make the call/ fire GM.

I am sure Pegula is there to watch and get a feel for the young man. Let McDermott and crew determine his football IQ and Pegula can get a feel for what kind of person he is. Some people will put down Pegula for going but how else is he going to broaden his football horizons? Pegula will never be a scout or a coach, he doesnt need to be, but getting an understanding of what coaches are looking for goes a long ways in making decisions.

Exactly. He should be letting football people make the football decisions but he should meet them and look him in the eyes and see what he thinks about him before becoming the potential face of the franchise.