Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Terry Pegula is just a football fan, and is taking advantage of his status as owner to go along on a scouting trip?

If I was the owner of the Bills, I would let the GM and Head Coach do their job without getting involved.

But you better believe I would be in the draft room, watching practice, meeting players, etc., etc.

He can't be any worse at scouting QBs than Whaley, so let him have at it...

What would Osweiler have told the owner if they had sat down? "I'm not that good"?

Did Jimmy Haslam sit down with Osweiler? The Browns moneygoofballs seem delighted that, at best, they just paid 16 million and this years 4th round pick for a second round pick....next year! Worst case is that they pay even more and actually have to play him.

Didn't sitting down with EJ lead the Bills to conclude he had "the It Factor"?

Now you are just arguing to argue. I know that you know that in person interviews have value - every company does them. Of course the interview is only one piece of the process and a good interview doesn't guarantee a good hire (draft pick), but that doesn't mean that it is a waste of time to interview a job candidate.

I see this as nothing more than the Bills doing their due diligence on the top QB prospects. It means that Trubisky is at least getting some consideration and they want to know if the owner would sign off on draft day if he is available and the GM and Coach think he is the pick.

there is a picture of McD and Pegs with the coach in the Trubisky thread

Well I didn't see them yesterday at my daughter's dorm, Top Of The Hill, or the ice cream place we went to on Franklin St. :P

Funny, my Dad was in town and we were showing him around campus. I asked if he wanted to see the inside of the football stadium and he said no - now I'm ragging on him that we might have seen all them in there - and they would have seen his Bills hat and struck up a conversation and maybe he could have caught a ride back on Pegs' plane...

I really don't understand Pegula being there. If he is attending draft eligible player workouts, what else is he sticking his nose into regarding football operations? I know I know...he is the owner and can do whatever he wants blah blah blah....

All I can say is the more involved he is, the more this team is f***ed.

Edited by LabattBlue

I really don't understand Pegula being there. If he is attending draft eligible player workouts, what else is he sticking his nose into regarding football operations? I know I know...he is the owner and can do whatever he wants blah blah blah....

Who cares? Its his team and the QB we draft will likely be the face of the franchise. Its understandable.

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder

2 franchises that can't get back to the promise land with meddling owners

Does Rob Kraft make personnel decisions

I agree owners should hire football people and stay away and let the decisions happen by those they hired to make them.

his team but Pegulas track record of being involved means I want them to stay away

You're one of those guys that thinks a business owner should just stay in his/her office and let the experts run the show, I assume.

I'd prefer for the ownership to have an idea what is going on. Participating and learning doesn't automatically mean making the decision.

I'll admit that owning a football team is different than many other businesses where the owner or CEO actually has experience in the business, and (usually) got to the top through savvy business practice. In the NFL, the owners may not have the acumen to make player picks. I'd wager the NFL is not that different when it comes to it's typically when the owner/CEO becomes completely disengaged that the business fails.

Being engaged is never a bad thing. I'd think the owners that are interested, stay involved, and know their limits are the best owners.

Being involved is great. Listening to the "pros" debate their positions on why a player should be picked helps to strengthen the process. Over-valuing your experience is the danger that good owners can avoid.

Edited by timekills17

Who cares? Its his team and the QB we draft will likely be the face of the franchise. Its understandable.

...and when Pegula falls in love with a prospect to the point he dictates who the Bills should draft, are you okay with that?

Being engaged is never a bad thing. I'd think the owners that are interested, stay involved, and know their limits are the best owners.

Being involved is great. Listening to the "pros" debate their positions on why a player should be picked helps to strengthen the process. Over-valuing your experience is the danger that good owners can avoid.

...and how do you know that Pegula is an owner "who knows his limits"? You wouldn't rather have an owner that leaves football decisions to the football experts he has hired?

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder

2 franchises that can't get back to the promise land with meddling owners

Does Rob Kraft make personnel decisions

I agree owners should hire football people and stay away and let the decisions happen by those they hired to make them.

his team but Pegulas track record of being involved means I want them to stay away

^^^^ Well said!!!

What if Terry Pegula is just a football fan, and is taking advantage of his status as owner to go along on a scouting trip?

If I was the owner of the Bills, I would let the GM and Head Coach do their job without getting involved.

But you better believe I would be in the draft room, watching practice, meeting players, etc., etc.

....nothing wrong with going along for the ride and meeting prospects as the Owner.....nice touch IMO.......pretty big stretch to start comparing him to Jones or Boy Danny Snyder......when DeBartolo owned the Niners, he was very close to players and often called them "family".....pretty sure Robert Kraft has shown he has many close relationships with the Pats.....us old folks remember RW getting raked over the coals in the 80's as the absentee cheapskate owner in Detroit, supposedly ONLY interested in money......TP hired an image consultant to fix what he thinks is broken and I like his "meet 'n greet".........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I'm getting increasingly convinced that the Bills are taking a QB early. Ideally it would be with a trade back or second round. But after this year Tyrod's cap hit skyrockets, but not a lot is guaranteed. He seems very dealable.

I like Tyrod, but if want to draft for the future, I want to give the guy the year in the bench which EJ never got.