Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's where it's sketchy to me. What if TP loves Trubisky but Whaley prefers Watson?

Well said

I know that I sound like a broken record but what is TP's role in the process? If he prefers a certain guy does he ultimately make the call? If so, that's a problem.

That would be an interesting topic. I think it would come down to a decision between Whaley and McD as to who has the highest ceiling and is the best fit for McD's scheme. I own my company and I dont always need to like something as long as it works.

I guess that's where it's sketchy to me. What if TP loves Trubisky but Whaley prefers Watson?

Well said

I know that I sound like a broken record but what is TP's role in the process? If he prefers a certain guy does he ultimately make the call? If so, that's a problem.

His role is simple. He's the owner. And he wants to be sure if they draft a QB that will be the face of his franchise it's a guy he'd want as the face of his franchise

Well said

You don't sound like a broken record so there is no need to be reluctant to restate your position.

The owner isn't going to make the determination who to select. What he will be doing is acquiring as much information so he can intelligently asks the staff questions about players and their reasoning. There is nothing wrong with that. Quite the contrary it is refreshing and it shows that he cares.

Where I'm confident that I disagree with you is that I hope that with his presence he is sending a blunt and forceful message to his football staff that they need to demonstrate a greater degree of urgency in addressing the qb issue. The same shameful and ridiculous issue that has plagued this backwater franchise for more than two consecutive decades.

While you have qualms over Pegula being at a qb workout I on the other hand salute him for his presence. This is the year to select a serious qb prospect. As far as I am concerned not doing so is an act of malfeasance. If it takes an owner to get his dithering staff to act on a generational problem that has sunk this franchise then he should be robustly praised.

That's where I think you need to trust you GM to make the call or you make the call/ fire GM.

How do you know that the GM hasn't already made the call? At this point the qb rankings and player rankings in general should be close to be completed. The owner has a right to see for himself what the GM is proposing.

You don't sound like a broken record so there is no need to be reluctant to restate your position.

The owner isn't going to make the determination who to select. What he will be doing is acquiring as much information so he can intelligently asks the staff questions about players and their reasoning. There is nothing wrong with that. Quite the contrary it is refreshing and it shows that he cares.

Where I'm confident that I disagree with you is that I hope that with his presence he is sending a blunt and forceful message to his football staff that they need to demonstrate a greater degree of urgency in addressing the qb issue. The same shameful and ridiculous issue that has plagued this backwater franchise for more than two consecutive decades.

While you have qualms over Pegula being at a qb workout I on the other hand salute him for his presence. This is the year to select a serious qb prospect. As far as I am concerned not doing so is an act of malfeasance. If it takes an owner to get his dithering staff to act on a generational problem that has sunk this franchise then he should be robustly praised.

How do you know that the GM hasn't already made the call? At this point the qb rankings and player rankings in general should be close to be completed. The owner has a right to see for himself what the GM is proposing.

i have to agree based on everything I've heard about the process. Their board is set once cfb season concludes. The rest is confirmation and moves up and down are typically very slight unless someone gets in trouble.in this case they might have more changes due to the new schemes that came in January.

They either genuinely want Trubisky or it's a deliberate smokescreen. I don't think they are still trying to determine whether they want him. They ( Whaley and McD) are introducing him to the parents (Pegs) for a blessing to get married if the draft falls that way. Jmo

i have to agree based on everything I've heard about the process. Their board is set once cfb season concludes. The rest is confirmation and moves up and down are typically very slight unless someone gets in trouble.in this case they might have more changes due to the new schemes that came in January.

They either genuinely want Trubisky or it's a deliberate smokescreen. I don't think they are still trying to determine whether they want him. They ( Whaley and McD) are introducing him to the parents (Pegs) for a blessing to get married if the draft falls that way. Jmo

I hope you are right. You know what my position is so there is no need to elaborate. :thumbsup:

I think they may set up visits with the players that they are interested in and that may be available with the tenth pick. The Bills will be meeting with a couple other players before the draft.

I look at it like this:

The owner/CEO says "find me a QB" and trusts his people to ultimately find the right one. He just wants to see the prospects for himself and unless he feels like he has to have a certain player he will defer to his staff.

At the end of the day this is his product so he feels the need to be around the process.

It's really no secret that this team needs to find a QB. I've just recently been told that this is hard to do, so the more legwork the better.

I'm sure it's easier to hit on a QB when you actually devote some resources to it.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Trubisky does not have big hands. This is someone else's boy. Monos? Dennison? McDermott?!

I don't give a dam who the adoptive parent is if it is a qb selection be happy and rejoice. Just maybe the Jauron/Levy roster building mentality has been washed away from this struggling franchise.

He "might" have a stake in this.

I have been on record as someone who doesn't like the Bills Org structure. But this is a league where QBs are so important that owners do get involved.

This is a good thing because the Bills needed to join the rest of the NFL and take the position seriously.

I don't give a dam who the adoptive parent is if it is a qb selection be happy and rejoice. Just maybe the Jauron/Levy roster building mentality has been washed away from this struggling franchise.

I just want to know who my hero is if we get Mahomes or Trubisky.

The fact Terry is there has Tyrod fans, and those listening to "experts" about QB's, Whistling through the graveyard. Sorry folks, the owner being there means more than just collecting info, he can do that in the draft room or scouts office at any time. How about he wants to talk to the kid to see if he can be the face of his franchise, up close and personal?

The fact Terry is there has Tyrod fans, and those listening to "experts" about QB's, Whistling through the graveyard. Sorry folks, the owner being there means more than just collecting info, he can do that in the draft room or scouts office at any time. How about he wants to talk to the kid to see if he can be the face of his franchise, up close and personal?

No it doesn't...

Engaged owners are more successful in business than absentee owners. This is so well known in business circles that it's cliche.

Terry may have tagged along just to see how the process works. Or because he has friends in the area. Or another business interest. Or some combination of innocuous reasons.

Or, as I suggested on another thread, maybe it's part of the Bills "deception plan." At this time of the year, you want to mislead the other 32 teams and as much as possible encourage them to pick players you don't want and not pick players you do want.

There is no indication Terry's pretending to know how to scout QBs or telling Whaley who to pick.

He can't be any worse at scouting QBs than Whaley, so let him have at it...

There was a recent article where Houston's owner said that they signed Osweiler to his big FA contract without really sitting down to get to know him. Remember, they were in a fierce bidding war w Denver and thought that they stole him.

What would Osweiler have told the owner if they had sat down? "I'm not that good"?

Did Jimmy Haslam sit down with Osweiler? The Browns moneygoofballs seem delighted that, at best, they just paid 16 million and this years 4th round pick for a second round pick....next year! Worst case is that they pay even more and actually have to play him.

Didn't sitting down with EJ lead the Bills to conclude he had "the It Factor"?

the owner should want to learn as much as he can about qbs and about every department in his operation. this would include scouting. obviously he isnt the one that is going to be picking the players or anything at that point it would be an issue.

I have been on record as someone who doesn't like the Bills Org structure. But this is a league where QBs are so important that owners do get involved.

This is a good thing because the Bills needed to join the rest of the NFL and take the position seriously.

I just want to know who my hero is if we get Mahomes or Trubisky.

I'm not saying anything until a qb is selected. I don't want the jinx to be in play. Just stay hopeful and silent with one's fingers crossed. If Kirby is the last person to whisper in the owner's ear it is going to be a DB. Dam that troublemaker--- he never gives up! :bag: