Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

why would that be the case? They can always cut him after camp and you don't know who is going to get hurt in camp. They would be negligent to not bring in a vet backup who knows the offense at this point in time.

Thanks fellas. The confidence of the opposing view had me worried. I didn't really think it through.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now that Yates is signed, many are assuming qb at #10 is off the table. Don't know what to make of it, but depressing if true.

If TJ Yates prevents you from doing anything in the draft, everyone should be fired. Yates is a borderline NFL qb who should never be a lock to make your team.

Seriously?

No. Just no. Terry Pegula is not a respected talent evaluator in the NFL. I'm not saying it's bad if he's there necessarily but it's no way "a good sign". At best it's neutral, at worst it's the sign of a meddling owner.

especially if he forces the team to pick a QB at 10

If Ralph went to look at a qb , nobody would be complaining

Not true, some people are always complaining about something.....like when the sun comes up or the mailman comes to the house, or when we win, but it's not pretty. Complaining cannot be avoided. That is a rule. :)

I didn't think of it as Pegs "evaluating him" from a football perspective. Both McD and Whaley were there for that. I look at it as they are serious about him and want him to "Meet the Parents"...

Never thought for a second it was a meddling issue.

...and they left Whaley home alone??......hmmmmm............

@mikerodak

Doug Whaley made the trip to Chapel Hill to meet w/ Mitch Trubisky; he was not in UNC co-OC Gunter Brewer’s photo with Pegula, McDermott.

Post #57 in this thread.

I think Bills fans should get used to the idea that QB @ #10 is a very real possibility. I'm not saying it's a lock, but when a team spends time working out every top QB prospect in the draft, not to mention Tyrod's "bridge" contract and McDermott saying "we want to address the QB position for the present AND the future"...it sure looks like more than a smokescreen. Sure, they could just be trying to bait a team to trade up to 10, but something tells me that team owners don't often come along to workouts just to set up a smokescreen.

Honestly, they are in a perfect position to take a quarterback. Top 10 pick, decent starter to buy said pick a couple years on the bench, and a new head coach. The timing is right.

Seems logical.

I was there yesterday. Didn't see them FWIW...

Interesting. What reason would they have to lie to us? Just to say to the fans "Hey, we looked at QBs in the offseason, but we are sticking with Tyrod?"

Or is it just that they are throwing off the other teams by saying that they were there?

Encouraging. I really doubt this is a smokescreen or a tactic to trade down.

One of the sub-paragraphs in a standard army 5 paragraph operations order is dedicated to the "Deception Plan." Every tactical plan should include a deception plan. American soldiers always want the enemy to think we're doing something different than what we're really doing.

I imagine some - if not all - NFL teams routinely consider deception planning at this time of year. I don't mean as some ad hoc, haphazard thing. I mean actually planning the best way to send inaccurate messages to the rest of the NFL to encourage other teams to go after players we don't want and avoid players we do want.

This is, after all, a multi-billion dollar business and the draft has huge ramifications. Why would you leave the deception-planning stone unturned?

Edited by hondo in seattle

So who should be deciding what the team needs? The football people or the owner?

So you know what the Bills need but the owner cannot? At the end of the day he is the owner and can direct his team accordingly. I have always wondered why people think football is different than business. I let my teams do their job but I am accountable. If i disagree, there is a discussion but i make the call.

Now before someone calls out the owner will be calling plays, that is obviously different than large decisions that impact the future of the team for a decade plus.

If Mcdermott takes Mahomes or Trubisky then the Bills can become relevant again.

So the usual number of NFL starting QB per draft is 1 - uneven, of course, with some drafts producing 4 and some 0 - and the highest probability in the 1st or 2nd pick of the 1st round. After that, it's a crap shoot with a good QB as likely in the 2-4th as in the late 1st. Recent successful picks in the 1st round later than Pick 10 include Jay Cutler, Brady Quinn, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, Christian Ponder, Brandon Weedon, EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, and Paxton Lynch - some good, some bad, some ugly, but no "instant relevance" as far as I can tell.

What causes you to believe that 1) there are 2 QB worth drafting that are plausible at that spot 2) they would be QB who would make the Bills relevant in and of themselves?

I think it's huge that Pegula was there.

1) Shows me this is a real investment for the franchise and everyone is going to be involved in finding the right guy.

2) I will say I'm confused a little by no mention of Whaley. Was he not there? Was he, but it was more interesting if you only mention MCD and Pegula being there?