Any way you slice it Kaepernick represents good value

A few people above have been discussing this, actually. The numbers look good on paper, but there's a fair amount out there now about how his numbers were garbage-time inflated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/12/silence-surrounds-colin-kaepernicks-free-agency/

'On-field problems are probably the bigger problem. Although Kaepernicks raw passing stats (16 touchdowns and four interceptions last season) dont look bad, the reality is he played poorly and compiled his numbers mostly while trailing in the second half for the 2-14 49ers. More advanced statistics used by Football Outsiders and ESPN both rank Kaepernick 30th among NFL passers last season.'

As I said above, you want a guy who gives you a reasonable change to get you to 2-2 over a four game stretch. Matt Moore is the platonic ideal, and I see CK as 1-3 guy. He's hardly the worst backup option, though--it's pretty clear from current NFL rosters that solid backups aren't that easy to come by.

This simply isn't true. I'd take CK 30 times out of 30 over Manuel. Manuel is terrible, although he may actually be better than Connor Cook (who looks terrible).

I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek about that, about EJ being better. But think about it, why would the Raiders choose EJ as backup over Kaep? Politics?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know them. But they work very, very hard. Believe me.

ha ha, i see what you did there.

No to Kaep. I'd rather give the spot to a rook and find a decent backup who has some semblance of passing ability and is not someone known for running.

Why is it OK for Kaepernick to speak out for what he believes in...

... but then it is racist/hateful for anyone who disagrees to speak out in return?

because Kaepernick wasn't saying anything hateful or racist?

It was Kaepernick who injected politics into entertainment. Then we are supposed to separate the two? Not likely. And for the record I believe our President is doing an amazing job thus far despite relentless and unfounded attacks from the left. Now separate that.

No need to separate anything, I will now just put you on ignore, because anyone who sincerely believes what you posted above can easily be dismissed as naive at best, and completely ignorant, at worst.

People who think racial bias doesn't exist are living in fantasy land. Everyone has it to some degree. Don't think so?

Picture you are in a burning building...you have 4 little kids in front of you and can only save one. One is white, one is black, one is Asian, one is Mexican. All of them are equal easy to get to. Regardless of what you will say, your actions under stress would likely show the kid you choose to save would probably be the same race as you 95% of the time. Likely without even thinking.

Deny it all you want, unfortunately humans are inherently bias towards people "like" them.

Edited by matter2003

Saying he disrespected the flag or the military by not standing is asinine and simple-minded.

It's the same kind of people who get their kickers in a knot over flag-burning. There's no such thing as "the American Flag." If I go to Walmart and purchase my very own American flag, I can do whatever the hell I want to with it. It's mine. I own it. Idiots in Congress who want to make an Amendment to the Constitution banning flag burning is really just a massive, ironic joke on what that flag is supposed to mean.

As a member of the military, I say that's why I served, dammit - to protect everyone's right to protest and free speech, in any manner they wish - as long as it doesn't infringe on another's rights or safety.

And if you're offended by it - so what? Be offended! What does that even mean, anyway? People say "I'm offended by that" like it's supposed to stop the offensive behavior or language. Be offended! That's your right! And it's my right to be offensive...and I'll take any economic or societal consequences that comes with it.

Just don't think that being offended by something give you some kind of right to not have to see or hear whatever it is that's offending your delicate sensibilities.

All that being said...I've change my mind on Kaepernick as a back-up - the football posts in this thread convinced me. We can do better.

Actually wouldn't mind Fitz as a back-up! :flirt:

What does he do for a living ?

He's a hip-hop artist. Or an attorney. Take your pick. :nana:

Edited by Domdab99

Some good discussion by people who are not anonymously accusing others of being racist. I agree with Shannon Sharpe & Cris Carter on points underlined.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/colin-kaepernick-nfl-free-agent-shannon-sharpe-protest-032017

Shannon Sharpe: Kaepernick has to accept that he may never play again
“But Colin Kaepernick knew this was going to be the case, because I believe that protests should be uncomfortable. It should shock the very conscience of the people you’re trying to get in touch with.
By doing that, you’re also saying that ‘I’m willing to accept any ramifications [or] backlash that comes with my protest.’ Muhammad Ali said ‘I’m willing to give up three years of my prime fighting career because I’m so opposed to the Vietnam war, I’ll take anything that comes along with it.’ So, Colin Kaepernick, although I empathize with your position and I understand it is frustrating, you should be willing to accept that you might not ever play again. Because when you have a protest, if you’re not willing to lose something financially, or your life, why are you protesting to begin with?”

I was in a protest and took chance of being arrested as part of consequences of protesting. I was actually first person arrested because i insisted on it. Charges were dismissed but I believed we were right and so did the officers arresting me (they told us as much) but they did their job.

Cris Carter: There are a number of reasons teams are wary unrelated to his protests
Shannon Sharpe: “He went to a championship game the next year.”
Cris Carter: “The team went to the championship game… it’s a team sport based on individuals. Now Kaep, he didn’t think about his team when he started protesting. So for me, as an athlete, don’t forget the stage that this sport puts you on. So make sure that you’re performing and taking care of your body, because the number one thing for Kaep shouldn’t be public awareness. The number one thing, for him, should be ‘how can I take care of my body?’
Edited by Koolaid

Sounds like you know a lot of guys who can't separate politics from entertainment. Ironically that's how we got into this current mess. Sad!

how about F the guys that will be done with this team. who needs them?

People desperately want Chad Kelly on the team but would quit being a fan if they signed Kaepernick? Priorities.

If I was so wrong how come he is not on a team?

People who think racial bias doesn't exist are living in fantasy land. Everyone has it to some degree. Don't think so?

Picture you are in a burning building...you have 4 little kids in front of you and can only save one. One is white, one is black, one is Asian, one is Mexican. All of them are equal easy to get to. Regardless of what you will say, your actions under stress would likely show the kid you choose to save would probably be the same race as you 95% of the time. Likely without even thinking.

Deny it all you want, unfortunately humans are inherently bias towards people "like" them.

dude thats messed up to even think about.

I am racist for one reason still to this day, after all i have been through and known.

Still find myself describing my friends as , Black, Asian, Mexican etc.

Not sure how to stop that. It is how i see them.

I know the difference between Japanese and Koreans but i still call them asian.

not hateful though. its awful i do that. seriously

You save them all or die trying

What does he do for a living ?

:beer:

I think we've uncovered the issue here. And Kaepernick never actually did what you're saying. Those facts just keep getting in the way. They're disappointing, aren't they?

I'm not offended in the least. Maybe people need thicker skin

You're quite clearly offended by people who don't like Kap.

His defenders here have been far more vociferous than his detractors on this topic since the start, which I find odd.

As a member of the military, I say that's why I served, dammit - to protect everyone's right to protest and free speech, in any manner they wish - as long as it doesn't infringe on another's rights or safety.

Thanks for serving 99.

I am a veteran and have a similar take. People serve in the armed forces to protect our nation, our constitution, and freedoms (like freedom of speech). So, honor a veteran and current military member by exercising your freedom which many have gone to great lengths to preserve.

Why is it OK for Kaepernick to speak out for what he believes in...

... but then it is racist/hateful for anyone who disagrees to speak out in return?

Because the alt-left hates free speech. They just want their views only and will boycott, shout down and ridicule any else. Despite that, deep down they really know that Kaep sucks at QB.

Because the alt-left hates free speech. They just want their views only and will boycott, shout down and ridicule any else. Despite that, deep down they really know that Kaep sucks at QB.

Well, that and the fact that there have been some really racist responses to him in the last year.

And despite being a pretty solid bunch for an online anonymous group, we still get a lot of (intentional or not) coded and subtle racism here too

Yes, racial bias exists. I'm not sure anyone has said it doesn't. Any group will llikely have it in favor of their own group or those like them. That goes for Asians, whites, blacks, Mexican whatever. It also exists for others : we may be biased towards those who are thin rather than fat, those that are attractive etc. not sure where you are seeing all this denial of inherent bias in all of us. It doesn't prove anything though.

Saying he disrespected the flag or the military by not standing is asinine and simple-minded.

It's the same kind of people who get their kickers in a knot over flag-burning. There's no such thing as "the American Flag." If I go to Walmart and purchase my very own American flag, I can do whatever the hell I want to with it. It's mine. I own it. Idiots in Congress who want to make an Amendment to the Constitution banning flag burning is really just a massive, ironic joke on what that flag is supposed to mean.

And if you're offended by it - so what? Be offended! What does that even mean, anyway? People say "I'm offended by that" like it's supposed to stop the offensive behavior or language. Be offended! That's your right! And it's my right to be offensive...and I'll take any economic or societal consequences that comes with it.

Just don't think that being offended by something give you some kind of right to not have to see or hear whatever it is that's offending your delicate sensibilities.

All that being said...I've change my mind on Kaepernick as a back-up - the football posts in this thread convinced me. We can do better.

Thank you for your service . That said, I don't agree with you. Yes he has every right to protest. But why do they always say " please rise to honor America...." ? You are disrespecting her and those who fought for her by not standing. It's simple, but not simple minded.

I hate Krap-on-dick. So that is why I want to sign him! We can successfully destroy the last pathetic saga of his NFL career while we coast to 0-16. We then cut him after the season, never to be seen again in the NFL(we might see him on the news getting paid more by Soros working for antifa, so it's a win for all parties). Our coaches get a pass for the terrible season because Colin is a horrible person and QB, and we are sitting pretty to draft the best sure thing QB since Elway. After we draft Darnold, Tom Brady will retire a year later, and the division is ours for the next 18 years!

Well, that and the fact that there have been some really racist responses to him in the last year.

And despite being a pretty solid bunch for an online anonymous group, we still get a lot of (intentional or not) coded and subtle racism here too

Seen some for sure. I also have seen people who seem to read racism into everything they see, hear or read. I avoid both of the above.

Thank you for your service . That said, I don't agree with you. Yes he has every right to protest. But why do they always say " please rise to honor America...." ? You are disrespecting her and those who fought for her by not standing. It's simple, but not simple minded.

I get it...I understand what you're getting at...but why does Kaep - or anyone attending the game - have to do what some anonymous voice on the loud speaker says? Why do we do this "stand and honor America" thing before EVERY SINGLE baseball, football, hockey, basketball, and tiddly winks game in the country? It's a silly and unnecessary blow job to false patriotism.

That said, I still stand up and sing and place my hand over my heart. Because I like to. But if someone doesn't, what do I care? How does that affect me?

Disrespect takes two - the person doing the supposed dissrespecting and the person choosing to feel disrespected. If you response to the person doing the disrespecting is to just laugh it off, shrug, or ignore it, then there is no real dissrespect happening...the alt-right constantly talks about "snowflakes" like the Left is crying over everything, yet it always seems to be the Right who is crying over things like this. Sticks and stones, you know?

What do you care what other people think about you? Or how other people choose to express themselves?

Grow a pair and realize we all have the right of free expression and that sometimes other people are not going to agree with you. Or you them. that's called adult-hood.

(This above above is a general statement and not solely aimed at Boatdrinks)

I get it...I understand what you're getting at...but why does Kaep - or anyone attending the game - have to do what some anonymous voice on the loud speaker says? Why do we do this "stand and honor America" thing before EVERY SINGLE baseball, football, hockey, basketball, and tiddly winks game in the country? It's a silly and unnecessary blow job to false patriotism.

That said, I still stand up and sing and place my hand over my heart. Because I like to. But if someone doesn't, what do I care? How does that affect me?

Disrespect takes two - the person doing the supposed dissrespecting and the person choosing to feel disrespected. If you response to the person doing the disrespecting is to just laugh it off, shrug, or ignore it, then there is no real dissrespect happening...the alt-right constantly talks about "snowflakes" like the Left is crying over everything, yet it always seems to be the Right who is crying over things like this. Sticks and stones, you know?

What do you care what other people think about you? Or how other people choose to express themselves?

Grow a pair and realize we all have the right of free expression and that sometimes other people are not going to agree with you. Or you them. that's called adult-hood.

Word.

I hate Krap-on-dick. So that is why I want to sign him! We can successfully destroy the last pathetic saga of his NFL career while we coast to 0-16. We then cut him after the season, never to be seen again in the NFL(we might see him on the news getting paid more by Soros working for antifa, so it's a win for all parties). Our coaches get a pass for the terrible season because Colin is a horrible person and QB, and we are sitting pretty to draft the best sure thing QB since Elway. After we draft Darnold, Tom Brady will retire a year later, and the division is ours for the next 18 years!

Why is he a horrible person?

Trump credits his Twitter wrath for Kaepernick's unemployment

Then the President clarified he was citing an article he had read.

"It was reported that NFL owners don't want to pick him up because they don't want to get a nasty tweet from Donald Trump," he said. "Do you believe that? I just saw that. I just saw that."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/colin_kaepernick_ignored_by_th.html#incart_river_index

• Super Bowl experience
  • great wheels
  • still in his prime

Politics aside the guy can still play and yes I was at the 49ers game last year. This would be a no risk acquisition with all upside and I would support it.

No such thing as a no-risk acquisition. You have to pay these guys and if you don't get anything for your money, you took a risk and it didn't work out. The risk is spending the money on one guys means not spending it on any other, and someone out there would probably do better.

IMHO Kaepernick wouldn't work out.

Edited by Thurman#1

Seen some for sure. I also have seen people who seem to read racism into everything they see, hear or read. I avoid both of the above.

....and it didn't take long for Spike Lee to play the race card because no one is talking to him..............

....and it didn't take long for Spike Lee to play the race card because no one is talking to him..............

Rather than develop a complex, fact-less, conspiracy theory it's very simple. No team thinks Kap is worth all the drama that might follow him..

You know, I was blowing this off because it looked like an anti-TT thread.

Bluntly, the logic side of my brain likes the idea: he will likely sign somewhere dirt cheap. He has some physical tools that can make you go far, and I don't particularly care about his politics.

His protests were quiet, civil and checked off all the boxes of "avoided the things !@#$s say make protest invalid"

But

1) at the end of the day, I think he's done physically. Even before last year there were signs that he wasn't taking his profession seriously (see: getting benched for Blaine Gabbert) and while many of San Fran's woes were not his fault, he definitely has backslid since the time of the Superbowl.

2) Do you remember the reception he got? The fact that some of our fanbase make t-shirts with his picture in the crosshairs of a gun? I doubt he's forgotten, and has plenty of reason to stay away.

There are those that look at the flag as a symbol of the sacrifices so many have made to ensure the freedoms we all enjoy, and, that standing to honor the flag is not an"unnecessary blow job to false patriotism;" but, rather a simple reminder of those sacrifices and a chance to pay honor to all of those men and women that made them. You say they have the right to be offended when someone engages in behavior they believe is disrespectful to the flag and what they feel it represents, but then diminish their beliefs and deride them for being offended and having "delicate sensitivities." Condescension, arrogance, dismissiveness, and derision on your part seems to be vary much in the the categories of behaviors you seem to be railing against.

As a 35 year veteran of the military and the criminal justice system myself, I absolutely believe in, and will protect, the right of Kaepernick to kneel during the national anthem. However, I still believe it is disrespectful. I will not personally attack him or accuse him of having "delicate sensitivities" for feeling as he does. Those that want to attack him or bring a racial element into the equation have their own issues they need to resolve. I believe they are a minority and that the vast majority of people that find it disrespectful, do so simply on the grounds I stated above.

People can agree to disagree and still be respectful of one another.

Rather than develop a complex, fact-less, conspiracy theory it's very simple. No team thinks Kap is worth all the drama that might follow him..

Which isn't crazy- the NFL in a lot of regards is old school and resistant to "different"

He's not a great player but if your team crumbles from being asked about the backup qbs politics - what kind of team did you really assemble?

as a member of the military you can still only speak for yourself. Just like anyone else. Get that phony Bologna speak as someone important because you enlisted so your opinion is more valuable nonsense out of here.

But thanks for your service in the chair force

keeping this non political is hard to do, but when you see these stories ...

Trump takes credit for Kaepernick's NFL limbo

I'm so glad he didn't get to buy the Bills

"It was reported that NFL owners don't want to pick him up because they don't want to get a nasty tweet from Donald Trump," he said. "Do you believe that? I just saw that. I just saw that."

doh too late

I missed by that much

my link was from ESPN

So, Trump is proud he's keeping someone unemployed?

as a member of the military you can still only speak for yourself. Just like anyone else. Get that phony Bologna speak as someone important because you enlisted so your opinion is more valuable nonsense out of here.

But thanks for your service in the chair force

I really like when you replace the word Air with Chair.. so funny. Chair Force... hahaha. I can't get over it, so creative. Call him a snowflake now. That'll sure teach him a lesson. You've got "IT" Boyst..

I really like when you replace the word Air with Chair.. so funny. Chair Force... hahaha. I can't get over it, so creative. Call him a snowflake now. That'll sure teach him a lesson. You've got "IT" Boyst..

that's funny. I'm laughing. Well done.

Trump can seriously go !@#$ himself for this.

Quit suckin up, it wasnt that funny.

Itll be hard for him to call them the Chair Force when they send a B-9 75,000 ft over him to rain 5000lbs of fire and brimstone down on his head.

Oh wait, they cant do that, its a free country, and he can say whatever he wants no matter how offensive and stupid it is.

Kinda like Kaep...

See Boyst, you and Kaep aint that much different, only difference is a few shades on the color spectrum.

Trump can seriously go !@#$ himself for this.

The FBI is looking into his communications with Russia before and during election. The Gallup poll has his approval rating at 37% (worst ever at this point in a presidency), he's targeted "fake news", now just adding to the lunacy. So thankful this guy low balled the Bills with his attention seeking bid during that process. Dudes a turd, he has nothing to do without Kap being out of work.

Quit suckin up, it wasnt that funny.

Itll be hard for him to call them the Chair Force when they send a B-9 75,000 ft over him to rain 5000lbs of fire and brimstone down on his head.

Oh wait, they cant do that, its a free country, and he can say whatever he wants no matter how offensive and stupid it is.

Kinda like Kaep...

See Boyst, you and Kaep aint that much different, only difference is a few shades on the color spectrum.

Lex, sarcasm man.

The FBI is looking into his communications with Russia before and during election. The Gallup poll has his approval rating at 37% (worst ever at this point in a presidency), he's targeted "fake news", now just adding to the lunacy. So thankful this guy low balled the Bills with his attention seeking bid during that process. Dudes a turd, he has nothing to do without Kap being out of work.

Lex, sarcasm man.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font, dude 😂

I'm sorry but as a USAF Veteran I would not like to see this person in a Bills uniform. If the Bills did ever sign him( Which of course they will not) then I would have to think long and hard about supporting this team.
The disrespect that he has shown the US Flag and our nation is not forgivable, IMHO.