Ryan Groy Signed to an Offer Sheet by Rams

RX-DK-DIY034008_hold-the-saw_s4x3.jpg.re

.....so Bob Vila, how do you propose to cut him and absorb the $7.5 million cap hit?.....better put that saw away.......convert 6 mil to a signing bonus with $750k salaries for 2017 and 2018....so you'd be paying him $3.75 mil in 2017, and in Groy at $2.5 mil and you have $6.25 mil tied up in C spot for TWO players.....you could cut Eric in 2018 and absorb the cap hit of $3.75 mil much easier or keep him around as a backup with Groy as your $2.5 mil starter, IF my math is correct..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....so Bob Vila, how do you propose to cut him and absorb the $7.5 million cap hit?.....better put that saw away.......convert 6 mil to a signing bonus with $750k salaries for 2017 and 2018....so you'd be paying him $3.75 mil in 2017, and in Groy at $2.5 mil and you have $6.25 mil tied up in C spot for TWO players.....you could cut Eric in 2018 and absorb the cap hit of $3.75 mil much easier or keep him around as a backup with Groy as your $2.5 mil starter, IF my math is correct..........

Flake.jpg

So they give Jordan "The Turnstile" Mills a 2 year $4 mil deal but would not even offer Groy $800k???? I do not get it at all Groy played well and is so versatile. Solid add for Anthony Lynn, I wish him nothing but the best!

Do we have a right OT (forget even a good one) on the roster? Not much choice there with Mills

No....we do in fact still have Wood

Ah man. Not happy about that too much. Really wanted to keep him around. Ah well, it happens. Thought he showed some good things coming in when Wood went down. Sucks, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess.

Wtf they didn't lose him.

@mikerodak: The Rams have agreed to extend Bills restricted FA center Ryan Groy a two-year offer sheet, per @caplannfl & me. Bills have 5 days to match

@mikerodak: Ryan Groy would reunite with Aaron Kromer with Rams and likely start at center. Expect $$ from Rams offer to match that situation.

Sounds like they'll have to choose between him or Eric Wood. And i'm sure they'll keep Wood. But it's definitely worth a discussion. It's probably too steep to keep them both if the Rams offer is starting Center money.

:death: Whaley

Cut Wood, save money. Wood has two bad wheels. Groy could be a long term player. Don't get me wrong, love Wood but after all it is a business.

Wtf are the Bills saving money for? For finding a Center when Groy goes down after you let go of Wood?

Edited by Beef Jerky

This could impact whether they match Groy. This guy started at center for Castillo in Baltimore

@profootballtalk

Report: Ravens releasing Jeremy Zuttah

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/report-ravens-releasing-jeremy-zuttah/

Zuttah can also play the guard spots, but is 30 y/o as well. He was making slightly over $4.1 million a year, Baltimore cut him to save $2.4 million.

it does matter that he was a udfa. It plays into his total value. He wasn't good enough to be drafted. He's only started 6 games and it was due to injury. He's not a proven starter. He's a backup who wasn't good enough to be drafted, until proven otherwise. Slap a 2nd round tender on him and that all changes. And he's a FA again next year and we are stuck negotiating at a level that doesn't match his value. Makes no sense.

What you're describing only comes into play with a guy like Malcom Butler, a udfa who elevated to a full time starter for 2 years at a very high level. Pats are using a 1st round tender because that's his value now. They know his negotiations won't be anything less. Not the same situation here.

Exactly - nice to see some logic.

People want to just blast Whaley for these decisions, but once again in this case - much like TT - He played it right. The Bills have a choice of matching the offer at a lower cost than the 2nd round tender and get him locked up for 2 years or if they decide he does not fit their new scheme - they have a chance to move on.

Placing a 2nd round tender meant overpaying him for 1 year and then still having to negotiate a longer term deal if you want to keep him.

Same thing with Gillislee - there are so many RBs on the market and in the draft that placing a higher tender was probably a waste of money.

Give Doug some credit - he seems to have a clue what he is doing here.

One day to go what is everybody feeling the front office is going to do on Groy?

You would think if they were going to match they would have done it by now? Perhaps Whaley is trying to squeeze a draft choice out of the Rams ?

#Bills are matching RFA offer from Rams for OL Ryan Groy, source told ESPN.

you were saying...

Musta been Overdorf's doing

We don't get any comp picks for him so there is no point.

Bellicheeck just scored another potential comp pick actually

And done. Bills match the offer.

No brainier and thank you LA Rams for negotiating for the Bills.

I think this was well played and quite pleased with the result. Not a splash, just good fundamentals from the FO.

:thumbsup: