Chris Brown: Whaley doesn't get enough cred from Bills fans

Whaley doesn't get the cred he deserves, period!! The only position he has yet to hit on is QB. But, who has since he's been GM with the exception on Dallas and Dak. Let's be frank here. We are all aware that although Whaley had the title, others in the organization have been making decisions that were detrimental to the teams success. Now that Doug Whaley has the "reins", it appears that he has a plan to solve the QB situation. Next year's draft class is supposed to have the best QB talent since '83. With this seasons move so far it looks as though the Bills are preparing to build their team with that draft in mind.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley doesn't get the cred he deserves, period!! The only position he has yet to hit on is QB. But, who has since he's been GM with the exception on Dallas and Dak. Let's be frank here. We are all aware that although Whaley had the title, others in the organization have been making decisions that were detrimental to the teams success. Now that Doug Whaley has the "reins", it appears that he has a plan to solve the QB situation. Next year's draft class is supposed to have the best QB talent since '83. With this seasons move so far it looks as though the Bills are preparing to build their team with that draft in mind.

Whaley hasn't drafted a good TE, a good OT, a good DT, a good DE, a good LB, a good CB, a good S, a good K, a good P, a good QB, a good C, a good FB.

Tampa, Minnesota, Tennessee, Oakland, Dallas, Philly have all hit on QB's in DW's reign.

Edited by FireChan

Hes good at getting scrubs and turning them into servicable players. Thats about it. His drafts and vision towards the future is awful in my opinion. Seems like he's always thinking, "what can I do to get better now" instead of having a plan in place years down the road

Absolutely my thoughts. I have also wondered why Whaley loves drafting players from the warm weather schools of the ACC and SEC to play in freaking Buffalo. I think the weight of this 17 year playoff drought is on his mind. The first question is always "How can we end the drought THIS year?"

Edited by EersN'Bills

Whaley doesn't do that bad with first round picks as far as finding guys that can play. He also is good at finding blue light specials for the bottom of the roster.

My issue with Doug is who is in charge? What is the vision for the Bills? Is it the coach driving the ideas? First Rex and now McDermott?

When are we getting a QB? Has any team neglected the position more than Buffalo? Where are guys drafted later in the draft that can play football or even provide depth? Why does Doug go into a season like last year with no WRs or Safeties?

Since he has been here I believe he has improved the talent on the roster and that the last two years the team had enough talent to make the playoffs, but Russ Brandon's choice of Rex Ryan for HC killed that.

On the other hand, this is a QB driven league and he seems gun shy of taking one early in the draft.

He is what his record says he is, mediocre.

Doug Whaley sucks. He is terrible at drafting and terrible at cap management. Did he get in a couple solid FA's, yeah. Did McCoy fall into his lap, yeah. Drafting and cap management are the backbones of a good GM and he simply is not good at either.

My take is you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say Rex sucks and Whaley sucks. It's one or the other.

The Bills have been a middle-of-the-pack franchise the last couple years.

Either Rex was a good coach with a bad roster. Or Rex was a bad coach with a good roster. That's how you get to .500.

If Rex was a bad coach as most assert, well, we still won nearly half our games which means he must have had a good roster.

So, thank you, Doug Whaley.

Both suck.

Owning the FB market ... hmmm maybe I should rethink my position on Whaley

I like that they're strategically doing something. NE saw offenses going to tall receivers and defenses combating by going with taller defensive backs - so they went with short, quick, route running receivers that drive the tall DB's nuts.

I could not disagree with CB more.

A GM's job IS to find good players, diamonds in the rust. There job is to fill out an entire roster. Year in and year out. He should have been laying the foundation for today tomorrow and the foreseeable future. Rebuilding every other year is NOT indicative of having success in spades. Pointing out a handful of successes and saying job well done is ludicrous.

Conversely, I don't think pointing out every failure is an entirely fair way to grade him either. You should not get credit for doing what you are supposed to do. He should probably be measured on a scale of the two with more weight or significance given to his failures. It's his job to find good players, that should be the minimum standard, not the cause for praise or celebration. He is not hired to find failures and or mismanage a roster, so his shortcomings should be magnified when they happen.

In the end it should have been clear a long time ago that DW brings nothing special to the table. His infighting with Marrone, his awful handling of the Rex situation and the ensuing press conferences that followed. I'd wager there's not another team in the NFL that would want DW as thier GM. Given his time with the team, our track record, and history, I think that says all that needs to be said.

According to Chris Brown on the John Murphy Show yesterday, Bills GM Doug Whaley has exceeded expectations "in spades" with regard to personnel. He especially cited the Justin Hunter pickup last season as strong evidence of this. Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown also mentioned.

What say you, Bills fan? Do we need to give more credit to Whaley for what he's accomplished during his career with the Bills? Is this roster stacked with talent and we just haven't received good enough coaching to get the appropriate production?

Does the sad fact that this franchise only has two players on the current roster drafted by the Bills between 2010 and 2013 not apply to Whaley?

Haha. Its so laughable that CB, the OBD stooge, is trying to vouch for Whaley. Lo and ZB were signed as depth/backup guys. Whaley had no idea they would star, otherwise he wouldn't have wasted 2 picks to move up for Ragland. Hunter??? he was a mid-season sign and isn't on teh team anymore.

As you say, the drafting and talent retention has been horrible. Whaley's only saving grace is that he probalby wasn't behind the Rex hire. He seemed to be the lone voice of dissent when that decision was made, which is why I suspect he saved his arse

This is why fans get angry Chris. We have done nothing towards cementing a relevant wr corps. Next year CB will be clamorong what did you want Whaley to do it was week three of the season and no wrs were available. So far weve let some very favorable wr fa candidatea just bungle on to other teams. Yea I dont expect a superstar signing however a true wr#2 thats capable at all times to include when sammy is inevitably injured should be a priority. Dont count on those guys to come from the draft and produce year one when history states it normally doesnt happen unless said player is taken early in rd 1. So much like last year when we put humpty dumpty on the wall relying on goodwin, harvin, all injury prone receivers. One of which was off olympic training, the other a complete head case, and ah yes how could we forget about Sammy's inability to remain healthy enough to be productive in the offense.

With all do respect Chris het your head out of Whaley's ass and realize last year and so far this year he has done nothing with regard to the wr poaition worth giving him credit for, to the contrary he rates heavy criticism for his lack of actions to remedy the situation.

This is why fans get angry Chris. We have done nothing towards cementing a relevant wr corps. Next year CB will be clamorong what did you want Whaley to do it was week three of the season and no wrs were available. So far weve let some very favorable wr fa candidatea just bungle on to other teams. Yea I dont expect a superstar signing however a true wr#2 thats capable at all times to include when sammy is inevitably injured should be a priority. Dont count on those guys to come from the draft and produce year one when history states it normally doesnt happen unless said player is taken early in rd 1. So much like last year when we put humpty dumpty on the wall relying on goodwin, harvin, all injury prone receivers. One of which was off olympic training, the other a complete head case, and ah yes how could we forget about Sammy's inability to remain healthy enough to be productive in the offense.

With all do respect Chris het your head out of Whaley's ass and realize last year and so far this year he has done nothing with regard to the wr poaition worth giving him credit for, to the contrary he rates heavy criticism for his lack of actions to remedy the situation.

If he signs a WR you like will you retract this statement?

I think Whaley has been one of the better Bills GMs. He's made many good moves. But people needs scapegoats. The Bills would have made the playoffs last year if the D wasn't mishandled by Rex and Co.

One of the best Bills GM? Take Polian and Butler out, and you have a serious of horrendous GM's. That's like saying "I have the most beautiful crack house in the ghetto!" Nothing to brag about

You have to remember, Chris Brown was a reporter for Empire Sports back in the day until they closed. He didn't work in the industry until The Bills brought him on board in a weak attempt to control the information coming from the organization.

Chris wants to keep reporting, so he's going to toe the line. He'll never say anything negative about the team and will always try to spin a positive outlook when criticism is brought up.

For that reason, I think about 90% of the fan base simply ignore him (and with good reason). Bills fans have a better connection with Jon Murphy considering he's the voice of the team. Murphy is basically in the same boat as Brown, just more relevant

Chris Brown used to post his hot takes on BBMB, but he stopped because people would always rip on them. Those were fun times.

Yeah I think that was automated so every time he posted to the site, it started a new thread. And yes, I think they stopped because fans would rip his reporting. Very often, it was kind of insulting.

How funny must it have been for other teams to see to see the inside Bills reporter ripped by fans on a message board? LOL

Whaley is doing a good job, I don't care what anyone says. A few missteps along the way, sure. Who's perfect?

He's done a good job in FA so far in my estimation. We're looking good for the draft next month.

So 7-9 is acceptable huh?

...over on the now defunct BBMB site, a poster named GOOSE did a superb comparative analysis of Whaley versus his peers which were Ted Thompson, Steelers' Kevin Colbert and I think Ireland....surprisingly, from a STATISTICAL perspective, Whaley measured up reasonably well......BIGGEST difference is the number of Lombardis Thompson and Colbert have versus DW as in NONE.....so at what point do coaches take the heat?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...over on the now defunct BBMB site, a poster named GOOSE did a superb comparative analysis of Whaley versus his peers which were Ted Thompson, Steelers' Kevin Colbert and I think Ireland....surprisingly, from a STATISTICAL perspective, Whaley measured up reasonably well......BIGGEST difference is the number of Lombardis Thompson and Colbert have versus DW as in NONE.....so at what point do coaches take the heat?...........

I applauded the work he put into it, but IIRC, he used "games started" as the benchmark. By that rationale, someone like Chris Kelsay would be considered a resounding success. Guys who start for us wouldn't always start for other teams.

My take is you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say Rex sucks and Whaley sucks. It's one or the other.

The Bills have been a middle-of-the-pack franchise the last couple years.

Either Rex was a good coach with a bad roster. Or Rex was a bad coach with a good roster. That's how you get to .500.

If Rex was a bad coach as most assert, well, we still won nearly half our games which means he must have had a good roster.

So, thank you, Doug Whaley.

Or they are both mediocre and we have a mediocre roster. That's how you can also get to 8-8.

I applauded the work he put into it, but IIRC, he used "games started" as the benchmark. By that rationale, someone like Chris Kelsay would be considered a resounding success. Guys who start for us wouldn't always start for other teams.

...I thought he focused on their drafts and used games started of draftees......not sure what other criteria you could use if evaluating their drafting abilities.....and sure they all probably have had their Kelsays at some point..........Colbert has been at it since 2000 and Thompson since 2005....they have had their share of "non-playoff years" where a "Kelsay" could have surfaced........

no, like one that might shut your mouth.

so you fell for the cb banter. Im sorry. And no if he brings more street free agents in masquerading them as competent 2's I wont be happy or shutup. Your a rather rude individual. Internet tough guy.. Edited by Bill_with_it

Fans don't understand over half of the logistics of the GM position. Whaley is a top 10 GM in the league by all measures, trust the process.

I think you got that wrong.. whaley doesnt understand over half the logisitic of the GM position. Edited by Bill_with_it

I think you got that wrong.. whaley doesnt understand over half the logisitic of the GM position.

...pretty difficult to judge the competency of his scout staff from the surface.........are they lousy?.....OR....do they bring back solid player info that Whaley misinterprets?...OR....a combination of BOTH?.........

...pretty difficult to judge the competency of his scout staff from the surface.........are they lousy?.....OR....do they bring back solid player info that Whaley misinterprets?...OR....a combination of BOTH?.........

Everything on this team starts and stops with Whaley. If his scouts are terrible he has to recognize that and hey its a business fire them and hires new ones. If its Whaley sooner or later he will be fired, or cut ties with.

Everything on this team starts and stops with Whaley. If his scouts are terrible he has to recognize that and hey its a business fire them and hires new ones. If its Whaley sooner or later he will be fired, or cut ties with.

....Management 101 bud....you may delegate the task(s), but you can NEVER delegate the RESPONSIBILITY........my apology for being misleading.....

Yeah all those WRs come to mind. Price, Evans etc. Obviously those have nothing to do with Whaley. Except Hogan, but he has the luxury that is Tom Brady.