Bills interested in Romo!

KGun12TD

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking its the Cowboys, or Romo's agent trying to create false interest in an old, broken down QB.

yeah fans are smarter than most give credit for. that's exactly what this is. it's not worth even discussing! Get a QB you can build on. This guy will be nothing but frustrating to have on your team. when he's healthy he'll be great one moment shyt the next. and then he gets injured after a great game and everyone will be talking about what if what if. I'm DONE with WHAT IFS. and that's what having a Romo means. What IFs....

On the other hand... that's what Bills are.. a What IF team. So, maybe this is a match made in heaven. LOL

Edited by CanadianFan

i seriously want tyrod over romo, why get a guy who couldnt play the last 2 seasons for his team and is 37, rivers id take, not romo. tyrod can play for years and the fact that denver and az want him is very telling, they see what tools he has even if some here cant.

Yeah the 37 year old thing is another big knock against Romo. His game is going to drop off considerably any year now and it could be as early as this year. Nobody knows. Too big of a risk. No point betting on him at this point in his career.

And didn't Whaley say they were building for the future? Signing A guy who is 37 and physically hammered is not exactly building for the future, at least not beyond a year. The idea of the Bills being interested in him seems like hogwash.

Yeah the 37 year old thing is another big knock against Romo. His game is going to drop off considerably any year now and it could be as early as this year. Nobody knows. Too big of a risk. No point betting on him at this point in his career.

And didn't Whaley say they were building for the future? Signing A guy who is 37 and physically hammered is not exactly building for the future, at least not beyond a year. The idea of the Bills being interested in him seems like hogwash.

In that you could immediately get out of the deal with no dead money instead of a guy being tied to your next 3 caps at minimum at 10m plus it does give you much more future flexibility to trade for a vet

If spending your top pick on a qb this year being able to drop romo at your convenience is huge for building a future, potentially. But could have kolb/EJ too so....

Edited by NoSaint

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bills have "significant interest" in Tony Romo.

Source: CBS Sports Feb 2 - 3:28 PM

It's my first post and I hope this was done right! Woo hoo.

Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/354126/report-bills-have-significant-romo-interest?ls=roto:DAL:topheadlines

Romo, when healthy, is a very good QB. But man, this guys body has failed him. This feels like a potential disaster. The only way this would make any sense is if we also kept Tyrod IMO as you have to figure the odds are very high that Romo will miss time, and could at some point be lost for the season. So, it would be imperative that there was a good replacement in the event of an injury.

I also put little faith into these stories at this point of the season as most have more to do with opinions and assumptions than real facts. So, this should be interesting.

In that you could immediately get out of the deal with no dead money instead of a guy being tied to your next 3 caps at minimum at 10m plus it does give you much more future flexibility to trade for a vet

If spending your top pick on a qb this year being able to drop romo at your convenience is huge for building a future, potentially. But could've kolb/EJ too so....

It wouldn't be the same as Kolb unless Romo really sucked at quarterback, which I don't think he would do. :lol:

Yeah, you could get out after one year if you signed him to a one or two year deal. Why would Romo want to come to Buffalo for just a year or two? Bills aren't close enough to a championship - or at least I don't think most people in the league would think they are.

I think he would know that he is just a temporary gap filler QB if he came to Buffalo at this point with the new coaching staff here. How could he ever expect otherwise. Nobody is going to rebuild a team around a 37 year old QB. Do you think? Romo would no doubt rather go to a team that was in the playoffs recently. Don't you think?

As much as I’d enjoy seeing Romo play for the Bills this year, he would basically be another expensive bridge QB. It would be in best long term interest of the Bills to avoid hiring a cap expensive QB or taking the option on TT’s contract.

Neither TT or Romo are long term solutions. Until the numerous holes are filled in the Bills roster, neither will ever lead the Bills to a Superbowl.

It is time to find an inexpensive vet QB, continue developing Jones, and selecting another rookie QB in this years draft.( although not wasting a 1st round pick on talent not worthy of such a pick in a weak draft).

Let the vet start, and give each of the youngsters a chance at playing time to evaluate them when the game situation allows it during the regular season.

Use the cap savings to resign our most valuable FAs, sign a few FAs for positions of need such as RT, WR & S. Use the draft to fill those holes that we don’t fill in FA. Build the team for the future. And if next year there is a QB in the draft that appears to be a good risk as developing into a Franchise QB when we draft, take him.

I know everyone wants an expensive vet QB. But again, we are not even close to being ready to go to the Superbowl with our current roster.

Personally I like the idea of trading for someone like AJ McCarron if the required pick is not too much. His contract is miniscule, and he has shown potential in his NFL starts. I don’t see our record being one or two games less than it would be under TT, even in a worse case scenario. A cheap serviceable bridge QB.

It wouldn't be the same as Kolb unless Romo really sucked at quarterback, which I don't think he would do. :lol:

Yeah, you could get out after one year if you signed him to a one or two year deal. Why would Romo want to come to Buffalo for just a year or two? Bills aren't close enough to a championship - or at least I don't think most people in the league would think they are.

I think he would know that he is just a temporary gap filler QB if he came to Buffalo at this point with the new coaching staff here. How could he ever expect otherwise. Nobody is going to rebuild a team around a 37 year old QB. Do you think? Romo would no doubt rather go to a team that was in the playoffs recently. Don't you think?

So you think he retires if traded? I don't believe he has a no trade clause. It would just be him playing his current deal.

So you think he retires if traded? I don't believe he has a no trade clause. It would just be him playing his current deal.

Nope my bad. I completely neglected the fact that he is under contract for next few years when thinking about what you wrote. Doh! :doh:

You can basically disregard what I said other than the Kolb comparison thing. :lol:

Looks like he would cost you $25 million against the cap for 3 years, then nothing.

Tyrod would cost $16, then $17, then $17 then $10 to cut or trade after 3 years.

Or yes, you could cut Romo after 1 year or 2 years because I think Dallas has to eat all that dead cap money.

Seems as though you were correct sir.

It does make a lot of sense if the Bills wanted a one or two year QB before launching a rookie's career.

You just have the risk of him getting hurt or retiring or his game play dropping off significantly due to age.

Edited by PolishDave

Nope my bad. I completely neglected the fact that he is under contract for next few years when thinking about what you wrote. Doh! :doh:

You can basically disregard what I said other than the Kolb comparison thing. :lol:

Kolb was only in that I only meant injured and a rookie not working out.

If romo starts 16 I'd expect playoffs unless disaster really hit elsewhere on the roster

I don't LOVE the move but I think it's more reasonable than most are letting on (due to the dead money discussions)

Edited by NoSaint

Kolb was only in that I only meant injured and a rookie not working out.

If romo starts 16 I'd expect playoffs unless disaster really hit elsewhere on the roster

I don't LOVE the move but I think it's more reasonable than most are letting on (due to the dead money discussions)

Yes. I Think you are right.

It does make a lot of sense if the Bills wanted a one or two year QB before launching a rookie's career.

You just have the risk of him getting hurt or retiring or his game play dropping off significantly due to age.

He's a temporary gap filler everywhere.

It just seems so unlikely to me that Romo would give up the cushiest and best paid backup position in the NFL to come here and get mashed. If he were to come here, we better make some serious upgrades to our OL, or it will be a monumental waste of money, and the 2017 season.

It just seems so unlikely to me that Romo would give up the cushiest and best paid backup position in the NFL to come here and get mashed. If he were to come here, we better make some serious upgrades to our OL, or it will be a monumental waste of money, and the 2017 season.

I'm curious why people say this? I see one position that needs upgrading, no?

And then we also have a strong running game that could further limit QB hits

Well considering he had the best OL in football and a monster run game and got hurt after a handful of snaps this year to miss most the season and lose his job...I don't see how what you said lowers his risk of injury here.

People forget that he's been seriously hurt in like 3 of his last 5 meaningful snaps in the NFL outside of his week 17 brief appearance.

i say this because I believe that Romo needs more protection than most QBs at his level-- not just to keep him healthy (which, obviously is a big issue), but to keep him effective. I don't think he is able to operate outside the pocket the way he used to.

Well considering he had the best OL in football and a monster run game and got hurt after a handful of snaps this year to miss most the season and lose his job...I don't see how what you said lowers his risk of injury here.

People forget that he's been seriously hurt in like 3 of his last 5 meaningful snaps in the NFL outside of his week 17 brief appearance.

Just bad luck. Don't sweat it. Bring on Romo!

I think the potential upside is worth the risk. Maybe he stays healthy. If not, what's the worst that can happen? Suck as usual?

Romo makes some sense as potentially a stop gap without the commitment that you would have to make to TT. You can trade TT in the 1st couple days of the league year. You will have some options. In this scenario you would acquire a 2nd (for example) and have Romo without the long-term commitment. I just cant see him getting traded so he would have to "pick us" once released. At his age, Houston and Denver would be at the top of my list (and I don't think Houston can afford him).

Just bad luck. Don't sweat it. Bring on Romo!

Getting seriously hurt on 3 of your last 5 meaningful snaps is not bad luck...and thats not even including all the other long injury history before that. His shoulder and back issues are not going to decrease nor will their durability improve. And considering how you seem to quickly label other guys "injury prone" who have FAR less injury history than Romo, seems a bit contradictory to your previous comments simply because you would take JP Losman over Taylor at this point.

I think the potential upside is worth the risk. Maybe he stays healthy. If not, what's the worst that can happen? Suck as usual?

No doubt he is a talented QB...but how much does the guy really have left? First, major injuries take the toll not just on the body but the mind. I remember when Jim Everett was a pretty good QB until he started getting crushed and turned into a panicky QB who made a lot of mistakes from throwing off his back foot on the reg to avoid getting hurt.

I would not hate him coming by any means, but if bringing him means we get rid of Taylor then its a major mistake unless we find some other quality backup to Romo. There is no denying that Romo brings updside, but he also has a very low probability of surviving the season and hasn't done so playing behind one of the best OL in football in place way easier to play than Buffalo. We better keep Taylor because its almost a lock that Romo will get hurt and likely for a large part or all of the season. And if we don't, we better get a good backup plan in pace ASAP after brining in Romo.

Getting seriously hurt on 3 of your last 5 meaningful snaps is not bad luck...and thats not even including all the other long injury history before that. His shoulder and back issues are not going to decrease nor will their durability improve. And considering how you seem to quickly label other guys "injury prone" who have FAR less injury history than Romo, seems a bit contradictory to your previous comments simply because you would take JP Losman over Taylor at this point.

3 of his last 5? Is that the meaningless stat you threw out because you aren't including his drive in season?

I would take JP over TT to win? Link please?

3 of his last 5? Is that the meaningless stat you threw out because you aren't including his drive in season?

I would take JP over TT to win? Link please?

I said before his week 17 appearance which was brief, and was making a sarcastic remark about his durability...but here we go...I am sure this is where you now try and downplay the Romo injury risk in your continued quest to have any QB other than TT.

And I was clearly being sarcastic as you, as everyone knows, absolutely hates TT and want him gone at all costs. So calm down with your "link please" non sense.

He is a good QB, but his body isnt holding up behind the best OL in football and in better weather. I am all for him being here, but only if we can keep Taylor or bring in a good backup plan because I have serious doubts he will pay more than 5 games here if he was the starter.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Another thing to keep in mind is fans would want to run Whaley out of town if he either traded for or otherwise signed Romo and Romo ended up getting hurt badly enough to be out for the season.

They would be saying it was the dumbest of all moves. And the NFL would make a general mockery of him for it being a poor decision.

That scenario adds to the risk of him coming here or anywhere for that matter.

Another thing to keep in mind is fans would want to run Whaley out of town if he either traded for or otherwise signed Romo and Romo ended up getting hurt badly enough to be out for the season.

They would be saying it was the dumbest of all moves. And the NFL would make a general mockery of him for it being a poor decision.

Absolutely correct...this board, including all the pro Romo guys, would just pile on Whaley if Romo gets hurt and we miss the playoffs again.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bills have "significant interest" in Tony Romo.

Source: CBS Sports Feb 2 - 3:28 PM

It's my first post and I hope this was done right! Woo hoo.

Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/354126/report-bills-have-significant-romo-interest?ls=roto:DAL:topheadlines

And the mystery remains why the Bills are perennial losers. The names change, but the bad decisions just keep on coming!

I said before his week 17 appearance which was brief, and was making a sarcastic remark about his durability...but here we go...I am sure this is where you now try and downplay the Romo injury risk in your continued quest to have any QB other than TT.

And I was clearly being sarcastic as you, as everyone knows, absolutely hates TT and want him gone at all costs. So calm down with your "link please" non sense.

He is a good QB, but his body isnt holding up behind the best OL in football and in better weather. I am all for him being here, but only if we can keep Taylor or bring in a good backup plan because I have serious doubts he will pay more than 5 games here if he was the starter.

So it was a cherry picked stat. Lol

If Romo gets hurt long term, we'll probably get a really good pick for a QB in 18. It's a win-win

If you truly believe that, then Whaley would also get killed for missing the post season with TT, so what difference does it make?

If you truly believe that, then Whaley would also get killed for missing the post season with TT, so what difference does it make?

Most definitely. Who gets better odds to make playoffs in Vegas ?

Bills w Romo

Bills with 189 passing yards per game.

No brainer to play Romo over Taylor.