YoloinOhio

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the what

@rapsheet

The #49ers are hiring FOX analyst John Lynch as their GM, source says. Out of nowhere.

@adamschefter

In same week John Lynch is named 49ers' GM, he could be voted into Hall of Fame.

Wow, um, ok?? loved him as a player but does he know how to run a team? 49ers are the true dumpster fire.

He always had great points of view during games. Seems clear and level headed and understands the game. His success will depend on what or who surrounds him. I can envision Lynch being pretty good at talent assessment and working with coaches and team officials. Lynch will have a severe learning curve when it comes to cap issues, and such.

While this looks terrible on paper as a football fan I would love this to work. The old boys network needs a shakeup or two and if a guy with no experience does well what does that say about the current process NFL teams use?

Nothing like a former player to shake up the old boys network

Remember, another Stanford grad went from the playing field to various other ventures before returning to a football front office. Perhaps you've heard of John Elway, a guy who spent his post-NFL career running car dealerships and steakhouses in Denver before he came back to save the Broncos ... I don't think this is at all nuts provided that they give Lynch the technocrats he needs to manage salary cap issues, etc.

Nothing like a former player to shake up the old boys network

True. The smart move would have been to hire the manager of a local restaurant chain. That would REALLY shake things up and turn the franchise around. Maybe if Lynch doesn't work out that can be the next hire.

Edited by vincec

True. When things are that bad after years of ineffective leadership, some " outside the box" thinking may be in order.

I disagree, inside the box still works, just make the right hire. Expertise and experience are still good things.

Remember, another Stanford grad went from the playing field to various other ventures before returning to a football front office. Perhaps you've heard of John Elway, a guy who spent his post-NFL career running car dealerships and steakhouses in Denver before he came back to save the Broncos ... I don't think this is at all nuts provided that they give Lynch the technocrats he needs to manage salary cap issues, etc.

Elway ran an arena team at least

And by save the Broncos you mean signed Manning as a FA?

Apparently Lynch called Shanny jr. and volunteered for the job and Shanny decided to do it (weird dynamic there with GM trying to get HC to hire him. I'm guessing Shanny has control over 53)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581720/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

Edited by YoloinOhio

Apparently Lynch called Shanny jr. and volunteered for the job and Shanny decided to do it (weird dynamic there with GM trying to get HC to hire him. I'm guessing Shanny has control over 53)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581720/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

Damn! I should have thought of that. I guess he's smarter for actually doing it. Stanford guys..... :(

And by save the Broncos you mean signed Manning as a FA?

In part, yes. It's easy to forget now, but there was serious doubt about whether Peyton would ever play at a high level again. And the Broncos were just coming off that Tebow thing, and living in Colorado I can attest that there were more than a few people who disagreed with him unceremoniously dumping Tebow when Peyton came around. And even without Peyton, Elway and staff have put together a damn impressive set of draft picks, UDFAs, and free agent signings.

lets not forget the more important jobs he had.

"Elway was co-owner of the Arena Football team Colorado Crush, from their inception in 2002 until the cancellation of the Arena Football League after the 2008 season. In February 2007, Elway was elected chairman of the AFL's executive committee.[40] On August 4, 2009 the Arena Football League announced an indefinite suspension of operations.[41] Elway was one of the 17 remaining franchise owners that voted to suspend operations indefinitely.[42]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elway

It was not an out of blue as some anonymous said (anonymous because source did not want to look like fool):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780496/article/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-as-new-gm

The finalists were believed to be Vikings assistant George Paton and Terry McDonough, the Cardinals' vice president of player personnel. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport said the 49ers identified Lynch as a candidate "weeks ago."

The precedent is there with Elway but, as BB said, he's held management/ownership positions related to football before taking over the Broncos. This move by the 49ers is certainly more of a dice roll. Who knows what kind of homework Lynch has been doing though behind the scenes? He has the connections to chew the ears of executives within the league. All said, I'm not hating on the hire, it's definitely outside-the-box thinking, but isn't that what people here are always clamoring for the Bills to do?

In part, yes. It's easy to forget now, but there was serious doubt about whether Peyton would ever play at a high level again. And the Broncos were just coming off that Tebow thing, and living in Colorado I can attest that there were more than a few people who disagreed with him unceremoniously dumping Tebow when Peyton came around. And even without Peyton, Elway and staff have put together a damn impressive set of draft picks, UDFAs, and free agent signings.

The Broncos have an impressive personnel staff. Elway is more of a figurehead GM whose main role is to create that effective working dynamic between the front office and Head Coach. I imagine given everything that has happened there that is what they want Lynch to do in San Francisco. He will not be scouting players.

The precedent is there with Elway but, as BB said, he's held management/ownership positions related to football before taking over the Broncos. This move by the 49ers is certainly more of a dice roll. Who knows what kind of homework Lynch has been doing though behind the scenes? He has the connections to chew the ears of executives within the league. All said, I'm not hating on the hire, it's definitely outside-the-box thinking, but isn't that what people here are always clamoring for the Bills to do?

Yeah, but could you imagine the reaction by the bozos at TBN if the Bills did something like this?