Offensive Coordinator candidates

Update - 1/18/2017

Top 12 Candidates:

1. Alex Van Pelt, 46 - Our big old friend has been Packers' QB coach under Mike McCarthy for the last three seasons. The coach he replaced? Ben McAdoo, who went on to be the Giants OC for two years before being promoted to head coach. (Link: former Bill - player and asst coach).

2. Brian Daboll, 41 - Buffalonian, attended U of Rochester. Current Patriots TE coach. Former OC for Browns, Dolphins, Chiefs. Rumored to be the OC in waiting behind McDaniels. Would be my second choice but I don't see it as realistic. (Link: grew up in Erie County).

3. Brad Childress, 60 - Current OC for the Chiefs but he's coordinating Reid's offense and has to share duties with Matt Nagy. May want his own show. (Link: same Eagles staff as HC McDermott).

4. Aaron Kromer, 49 - Many of us thought Lawn Chair Psycho's time here was over with the Juan Castillo hire but he's been an OC before, did great things with our OLine, and likely understands the Roman/Lynn offense that worked so well here. (Link: most recent OLine coach).

5. Ken Dorsey, 35 - Legendary college QB began his NFL career as a Pro Scout for two years before becoming the Carolina Panthers QB coach since 2013 and has helped develop Cam Newton into an NFL MVP. Same staff as head coach McDermott. Has worked under Mike Shula all four years. (Link: same staff as McDermott for the last four years). - Interviewed

6. Greg Olson, 53 - Apparently a serious candidate who is being interviewed this week. Long-time NFL OC. Not great results but has run a variety of systems.

7. John DeFilippo, 38 - Eagles QB coach. Has been a QB coach for most of his career. OC for one season - 2015 for the Browns, an impossible job. Likely deserves another OC opportunity.

8. George Godsey, 38 - Recently fired Texans coach. Not much to work with there, likely a scapegoat. Worked with Patriots.

9. Greg Knapp, 53 - Broncos' 2016 QB coach and passing game coordinator. Been OC in the NFL many times, including for Vick's Atlanta Falcons (2004-2006).

10. Joe Lombardi, 45 - Saints QB coach and Lions former OC (2014, 2015). He was fired midway through 2015 season and was made a scapegoat. But when examining the stats, not much changed and one could argue that the offense has actually regressed since he was released.

11. Jason Michael, 38 - One of the most improved offenses in the league was the Titans. Michael was brought on board as Titans OC by Ken Whisenhunt but never called plays. He was demoted after Mularkey was promoted to HC in 2016 but his experience is intriguing to me.

12. Chip Kelly, 53 - Shady would obviously have to sign off, but he'd actually be my #1 choice if Shady was 100% behind the hire. But I don't expect that to happen.

Possible candidates if the search goes really badly:

Cam Cameron, 55 - Most recently LSU's OC. Could do well designing an NFL offense around Tyrod.

Bill Callahan, 60 - Been around forever. Great OLine coach, not considered a great offensive coordinator.

Duce Staley, 41 - Eagles running backs coach the last four years. Worked under Chip Kelly and Doug Pederson. He was recently named one of the offensive coordinators for next week's East-West Shrine Game. Could be dark-horse candidate. (Link: Shady's RB coach in Philly).

Scott Turner, 34 - Former Vikings QB coach. Norv Turner's son. (Link: same Panthers staff as HC McDermott - 2011-2012.)

Mike Munchak, 56 - Current Steelers OLine coach and former Titans HC. I'm skeptical because he's never been an OC before. (Link: Whaley is obsessed with all things Steelers).

Eliminated Candidates:

Bill Musgrave, 49 - Hired as Broncos QB coach

Alex Nagy, 38 - Will remain with the Chiefs

Norv Turner, 64 - Not interested

Greg Olson, 53 - Hired by the LA Rams as QB coach

Hottest Daughter:

Marc Trestman, 61 - Long-time NFL OC. I'm not a fan of his, but I am a fan of his daughter.

CqJobPbWcAA2wEQ.jpg
CvFDxWlWYAQKMMm.jpg
Edited by Wayne Arnold

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's back to the drawing board for the offense, unfortunately.

Just a reminder of how good the Buffalo offense was under Greg Roman / Anthony Lynn compared to the last 17 years.

DVOA - Offense

2016 - #10

2015 - #9

2014 - #26

2013 - #25

2012 - #20

2011 - #16

2010 - #26

2009 - #29

2008 - #24

2007 - #23

2006 - #22

2005 - #30

2004 - #21

2003 - #29

2002 - #18

2001 - #21

2000 - #14

1999 - #7

Losing Lynn hurts a lot. But I don't blame the Bills for hiring someone for HC they feel is better than Lynn. Best case scenario was to bring Lynn back as OC but good for him for landing a good HC job.

Candidates:

Bill Musgrave, 49 - Former NFL quarterback. Has been offensive coordinator for five teams in his career, including in Minnesota when our DC Leslie Frazier was HC. Did great things as the Oakland Raiders' OC designing a creative shotgun spread offense.

Chip Kelly, 53 - Has never been an OC in the NFL but that may be his best fit as opposed to Head Coach. Extremely creative play designer, been called a genius. Very interested to see what he could do with Taylor.

Norv Turner, 64 - Long-time NFL coach. Might be the best option but sources say he's not likely to take the job.

Aaron Kromer, 49 - Many of us thought Lawn Chair Psycho's time here was over with the Juan Castillo hire but he's been an OC before, did great things with our OLine, and likely understands the Roman/Lynn offense that worked so well here.

Alex Van Pelt, 46 - Our big old friend has been Packers' QB coach under Mike McCarthy for the last three seasons. The coach he replaced? Ben McAdoo, who has done very well for himself.

John DeFilippo, 38 - Eagles QB coach. Has been a QB coach for most of his career. OC for one season - 2015 for the Browns, an impossible job. Likely deserves another OC opportunity.

Ken Dorsey, 35 - Legendary college QB began his NFL career as a Pro Scout for two years before becoming the Carolina Panthers QB coach since 2013 and has helped develop Cam Newton into an NFL MVP. Same staff as head coach McDermott. Has worked under Mike Shula all four years.

Duce Staley, 41 - Eagles running backs coach the last four years. Worked under Chip Kelly and Doug Pederson. He was recently named one of the offensive coordinators for next week's East-West Shrine Game. Could be dark-horse candidate.

Marc Trestman, 61 - Long-time NFL OC. I'm not a fan of his, but I am a fan of his daughter.

CqJobPbWcAA2wEQ.jpg

CvFDxWlWYAQKMMm.jpg

Norv Turners daughter is hotter.

Just a reminder of how good the Buffalo offense was under Greg Roman / Anthony Lynn compared to the last 17 years.

Early last season the talk on TBD revolved around how we could keep Roman as our OC. The belief was he was destined for a head coaching position somewhere else due to his offensive prowess. my how things have changed....

Edited by ricojes

personally not too concerned about OC. the success the Bills offense had last year seemed to involved reducing the number of plays and simplifying most of the ones that were left. those actions were Lynn's biggest impact. he let the players establish some rhythm, let them find their groove. should not be too difficult to continue as long as they keep Tyrod Taylor.

Edited by jethro_tull

personally not too concerned about OC. the success the Bills offense had last year seemed to involved reducing the number of plays and simplifying most of the ones that were left. those actions were Lynn's biggest impact. he let the players establish some rhythm, let them find their groove. should not be too difficult to continue as long as they keep Tyrod Taylor.

I think you're underestimating the difficulty of moving the ball and scoring points in the NFL.

Shady McCoy

I'm an idiot.

DVOA - Offense

2016 - #10

2015 - #9

2014 - #26

2013 - #25

2012 - #20

2011 - #16

2010 - #26

2009 - #29

2008 - #24

2007 - #23

2006 - #22

2005 - #30

2004 - #21

2003 - #29

2002 - #18

2001 - #21

2000 - #14

1999 - #7

Losing Lynn hurts a lot. But I don't blame the Bills for hiring someone for HC they feel is better than Lynn. Best case scenario was to bring Lynn back as OC but good for him for landing a good HC job.

Candidates:

Bill Musgrave, 49 - Former NFL quarterback. Has been offensive coordinator for five teams in his career, including in Minnesota when our DC Leslie Frazier was HC. Did great things as the Oakland Raiders' OC designing a creative shotgun spread offense.

Chip Kelly, 53 - Has never been an OC in the NFL but that may be his best fit as opposed to Head Coach. Extremely creative play designer, been called a genius. Very interested to see what he could do with Taylor.

Norv Turner, 64 - Long-time NFL coach. Might be the best option but sources say he's not likely to take the job.

Aaron Kromer, 49 - Many of us thought Lawn Chair Psycho's time here was over with the Juan Castillo hire but he's been an OC before, did great things with our OLine, and likely understands the Roman/Lynn offense that worked so well here.

Alex Van Pelt, 46 - Our big old friend has been Packers' QB coach under Mike McCarthy for the last three seasons. The coach he replaced? Ben McAdoo, who has done very well for himself.

John DeFilippo, 38 - Eagles QB coach. Has been a QB coach for most of his career. OC for one season - 2015 for the Browns, an impossible job. Likely deserves another OC opportunity.

Ken Dorsey, 35 - Legendary college QB began his NFL career as a Pro Scout for two years before becoming the Carolina Panthers QB coach since 2013 and has helped develop Cam Newton into an NFL MVP. Same staff as head coach McDermott. Has worked under Mike Shula all four years.

Duce Staley, 41 - Eagles running backs coach the last four years. Worked under Chip Kelly and Doug Pederson. He was recently named one of the offensive coordinators for next week's East-West Shrine Game. Could be dark-horse candidate.

CqJobPbWcAA2wEQ.jpg
CvFDxWlWYAQKMMm.jpg

:lol::lol:

The daughter just made a new fan. She bad!!

Agree on Lynn but good for him.

Im thinking Kromer might be the only way to have some sort of continuity here of what was working with the Tyrod, Shady, and Watkins triple helix.

I wish you woulda posted this during the season when everyone was too busy bitching about passing yards to see how good our offense really was in comparison to our defense. smh.

Why no to Chip Kelly? He's a failed head coach but he's still a very intelligent, talented guy who I think would do quite well with our personnel.

Remember he has beef with our best offensive player. Not going to work on the strength of that alone. "Chip can't shake ****."

Our talented friend Rob Quinn added his thoughts. Nagy is a great suggestion, but I think it would take a lot for him to leave Andy Reid's side...

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/13/4-best-options-for-buffalo-bills-hc-sean-mcdermott-to-hire-as-oc/

Alex Van Pelt

Buffalo fans are very familiar with Alex Van Pelt, as he was the team’s backup quarterback from 1993-2004, but since his retirement, he’s grown immense respect throughout the NFL for his ability to coach.

After having the misfortune of being a quality control and quarterbacks coach for a Bills’ roster featuring the likes of J.P Losman and Trent Edwards, Van Pelt was hired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010. There, he helped develop a young Josh Freeman, whose 7,043 passing yards were the most of any Buccaneers passer over a two-year span.

In 2012, Van Pelt was hired by the Green Bay Packers as a running backs coach, where he continued to assist players maximize their abilities, most notably Eddie Lacy, who won the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award and was named to the 2013 NFL Pro Bowl under his tutelage. The Packers ranked No. 7 in rushing that year and in 2014, Van Pelt was promoted to quarterbacks coach.

Like Lynn, Van Pelt helped coach a run game that relied on a mixture of both zone and gap rushing schemes.

“There are more schemes and trying to utilize all the schemes and make them defend everything in the run game, as opposed to just the zone and just the toss,” Van Pelt said. “They have to worry about gap schemes and quick hitters and traps. So we’re trying to incorporate as much as we can and get as many different schemes up front as we can.”

Now, coaching a player of the caliber of Aaron Rodgers would be viewed as a simple task by many, but Rodgers praised the former quarterback for helping his preparation, understanding reads and expanding his mental acumen for the game.

“Alex (Van Pelt) has done a great job this year of getting the quarterbacks in the right frame of mind as far as our thought process and our reads, just honing in on those,” Rodgers said.

Matt Nagy

Matt Nagy and coach McDermott crossed paths during their time with the Philadelphia Eagles, where Nagy was hired in 2008 as a coaching intern before rising to offensive quality control coach. In 2013, Nagy was hired as the Kansas City Chiefs quarterbacks coach, where he worked extensively with Alex Smith, who has improved his game dramatically under his watch.

Now, the co-offensive coordinator with Brad Childress under coach Andy Reid is in the NFL playoffs, so it’s unclear whether Buffalo has reached out to him, but his ties to Philadelphia under the Andy Reid coaching tree make him an interesting candidate.

Bill Callahan

Bill Callahan is currently the offensive line coach for the Washington Redskins, but he’s held offensive coordinator and head coaching positions in the NFL. He is a versatile and adaptable coach who coached the Oakland Raiders’ No. 1 rushing offense in 2000 and the No. 1 passing offense in 2002.

Greg Knapp

Greg Knapp has been the quarterbacks coach for the Broncos since 2013, but he’s coached in various offensive roles as an offensive quality control coach in 1997 before rising to quarterbacks coach and eventually offensive coordinator.

Knapp’s offensive philosophy is rooted in west coast concepts – utilizing the quick passing game and a zone blocking scheme and like the other candidates mentioned, he has a track record of production dominant rushing games and has experience with developing quarterbacks.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

DVOA - Offense

2016 - #10

2015 - #9

2014 - #26

2013 - #25

2012 - #20

2011 - #16

2010 - #26

2009 - #29

2008 - #24

2007 - #23

2006 - #22

2005 - #30

2004 - #21

2003 - #29

2002 - #18

2001 - #21

2000 - #14

1999 - #7

Candidates:

Marc Trestman, 61 - Long-time NFL OC. I'm not a fan of his

Cam Cameron's career DVOA plus he has a working relationship with Tyrod Taylor.

2002 - 15

2003 - 12

2004 - 7

2005 - 6

2006 - 2

2007 - 21

2008 - 19

2009 - 9

2010 - 12

2011 - 13

2012 - 13

I don't know how good of an OC Lynn really was here (not saying he isn't good, just tough to really judge him). There is only part of a season to base it off of where he had continue to use Roman's offence which he just simplified. We haven't seen what he can do when he runs his own offence. His offence was also very lopsided, only great in one aspect. That's why right now I don't see him as a huge loss.

As for the others you list, the qb coach from the eagles has already been blocked from interviewing for the jets OC position, and Van Pelt might be tough to speak too because the Packers don't normally let their guys interview when they don't have to, and it's been debated here that the rules don't require you to let someone interview unless it's to step up to a HC position

Ideally the hire should be someone who can run a good offence on their own since the HCs background is mostly defence, so a first time OC might not be a good choice right now

As for the others you list, the qb coach from the eagles has already been blocked from interviewing for the jets OC position

That's likely a result of DeFillippo not wanting anything to do with the Jets job.

Except that Taylor might not be here in 2017 and beyond. Matt Nagy's an interesting name, I'd consider him and hopefully he can bring Nick Foles with him.

Bills need to stop the insanity and just bring Taylor back.

That's likely a result of DeFillippo not wanting anything to do with the Jets job.

Bills need to stop the insanity and just bring Taylor back.

I think that shipped has sailed... Taylor is even more of a risk under a new OC.. On the birght side though it seems like the last few days have bought Whaley and Russ at least another 2 years... No way they get fired next year with a new HC and new QB, new system... <Sarcasm Intended>. I can't see any scenario where they get fired after next season.

Candidates:

CqJobPbWcAA2wEQ.jpg
CvFDxWlWYAQKMMm.jpg

DVOA - Offense

2016 - #10

2015 - #9

2014 - #26

2013 - #25

2012 - #20

2011 - #16

2010 - #26

2009 - #29

2008 - #24

2007 - #23

2006 - #22

2005 - #30

2004 - #21

2003 - #29

2002 - #18

2001 - #21

2000 - #14

1999 - #7

Candidates:

CqJobPbWcAA2wEQ.jpg
CvFDxWlWYAQKMMm.jpg

Weren't people excited to see what Kelly would do with Kaepernick? Did that perpetuate the genius myth for Kelly? =)