Offensive Coordinator candidates

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy birthday to OC candidate Marc Trestman.

User Actions

Following

zvc4q4YH_bigger.jpgChloe Trestman@chloT94

Happy birthday to the best dad a daughter could ask for - I love you 2764.png

C2OzrGHUUAASW4Q.jpg

Wow. Trestman vaults right to the top of the OC job list with that kind of talent. What is it with these guys. I wonder if Kevin Killdrive has a hot daughter.

Our talented friend Rob Quinn added his thoughts. Nagy is a great suggestion, but I think it would take a lot for him to leave Andy Reid's side...

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/13/4-best-options-for-buffalo-bills-hc-sean-mcdermott-to-hire-as-oc/

Alex Van Pelt

Buffalo fans are very familiar with Alex Van Pelt, as he was the team’s backup quarterback from 1993-2004, but since his retirement, he’s grown immense respect throughout the NFL for his ability to coach.

After having the misfortune of being a quality control and quarterbacks coach for a Bills’ roster featuring the likes of J.P Losman and Trent Edwards, Van Pelt was hired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010. There, he helped develop a young Josh Freeman, whose 7,043 passing yards were the most of any Buccaneers passer over a two-year span.

In 2012, Van Pelt was hired by the Green Bay Packers as a running backs coach, where he continued to assist players maximize their abilities, most notably Eddie Lacy, who won the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award and was named to the 2013 NFL Pro Bowl under his tutelage. The Packers ranked No. 7 in rushing that year and in 2014, Van Pelt was promoted to quarterbacks coach.

Like Lynn, Van Pelt helped coach a run game that relied on a mixture of both zone and gap rushing schemes.

“There are more schemes and trying to utilize all the schemes and make them defend everything in the run game, as opposed to just the zone and just the toss,” Van Pelt said. “They have to worry about gap schemes and quick hitters and traps. So we’re trying to incorporate as much as we can and get as many different schemes up front as we can.”

Now, coaching a player of the caliber of Aaron Rodgers would be viewed as a simple task by many, but Rodgers praised the former quarterback for helping his preparation, understanding reads and expanding his mental acumen for the game.

“Alex (Van Pelt) has done a great job this year of getting the quarterbacks in the right frame of mind as far as our thought process and our reads, just honing in on those,” Rodgers said.

Matt Nagy

Matt Nagy and coach McDermott crossed paths during their time with the Philadelphia Eagles, where Nagy was hired in 2008 as a coaching intern before rising to offensive quality control coach. In 2013, Nagy was hired as the Kansas City Chiefs quarterbacks coach, where he worked extensively with Alex Smith, who has improved his game dramatically under his watch.

Now, the co-offensive coordinator with Brad Childress under coach Andy Reid is in the NFL playoffs, so it’s unclear whether Buffalo has reached out to him, but his ties to Philadelphia under the Andy Reid coaching tree make him an interesting candidate.

Bill Callahan

Bill Callahan is currently the offensive line coach for the Washington Redskins, but he’s held offensive coordinator and head coaching positions in the NFL. He is a versatile and adaptable coach who coached the Oakland Raiders’ No. 1 rushing offense in 2000 and the No. 1 passing offense in 2002.

Greg Knapp

Greg Knapp has been the quarterbacks coach for the Broncos since 2013, but he’s coached in various offensive roles as an offensive quality control coach in 1997 before rising to quarterbacks coach and eventually offensive coordinator.

Knapp’s offensive philosophy is rooted in west coast concepts – utilizing the quick passing game and a zone blocking scheme and like the other candidates mentioned, he has a track record of production dominant rushing games and has experience with developing quarterbacks.

I don't how these lists can include Nagy but neglect Chilly who also has connections with McDermott, maybe better ones.

SPN's Rich Cimini believes the Chiefs would block the Jets from interviewing Matt Nagy for their vacancy at offensive coordinator.

The same happened when the Jets tried to interview Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo earlier this month. Nagy is currently sharing OC duties with Brad Childress but could have that role to himself if Childress leaves this offseason. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that Childress is a leading candidate for the Bills' vacancy at offensive coordinator. The Jets interviewed Broncos RBs coach Eric Studesville last week but he opted to stay in Denver. Obviously the Jets' open coordinator position isn't drawing much interest around the league. Jan. 15 - 11:37 am et
Source: ESPN.com

SPN's Rich Cimini believes the Chiefs would block the Jets from interviewing Matt Nagy for their vacancy at offensive coordinator.[/size]

The same happened when the Jets tried to interview Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo earlier this month. Nagy is currently sharing OC duties with Brad Childress but could have that role to himself if Childress leaves this offseason. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that Childress is a leading candidate for the Bills' vacancy at offensive coordinator. The Jets interviewed Broncos RBs coach Eric Studesville last week but he opted to stay in Denver. Obviously the Jets' open coordinator position isn't drawing much interest around the league. Jan. 15 - 11:37 am et [/size]Source: [/size]ESPN.com

From Cimini that is anything but a legitimate report. He's just making a conjecture. No real reporting.

From Cimini that is anything but a legitimate report. He's just making a conjecture. No real reporting.

Valid point, but it would make sense. If the Chiefs are going to lose Childress or Nagy, I'm sure they would rather lose Childress..and they aren't going to let both go, so one is going to have to be blocked.

Not yet but I'm assuming since he's so smart that this is exactly what his list looks like.

He's known for being meticulous and detail oriented, so I'm sure he's got a wide range of people to select from. It's been a pretty tight lid on who's under consideration thus far.

To each their own but to me she's mediocre. Eyes are too far apart, resembling a fish.

pros-Stephanie-Turner.jpg

Is that Laura Ingalls?

Why is it that when I think about Little House on the Prarie - I get the theme song from The Waltons stuck in my head?

I wonder if McDermott gives Chris Palmer an interview for the vacant OC position.

I know the report is that Kromer was released from his contract, which of course was due to Castillo getting the job. But I wonder if there is a consideration to hire a Kromer as OC and keep Chris Palmer in his position, and run a variation of the offense the players are familiar with. Which of course includes Tyrod. Kromer could do what Lynn did, meaning work from a solid framework and playbook already established and tweak it to his and his head coaches wants.

I know the report is that Kromer was released from his contract, which of course was due to Castillo getting the job. But I wonder if there is a consideration to hire a Kromer as OC and keep Chris Palmer in his position, and run a variation of the offense the players are familiar with. Which of course includes Tyrod. Kromer could do what Lynn did, meaning work from a solid framework and playbook already established and tweak it to his and his head coaches wants.

I would think they would have kept Kromer under contract if he was under any consideration at all: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/index.html