Bills' Player to Tyler Dunne: Rob Ryan was the Problem on D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is surprising because we were told he was an advisor. Then kinda worked with LBs.

He was not supposed to be the DC !

Even his brother must have known he was not good at that role. Rex is many things, but stupid is not one of them.

I am surprised this happened, if true.

Correct but it was easy to see....maybe for me...that Rob was going to call the defense.....

despite $45m in dead money and no major additions, as well as losing 3 out of 4 starters in the secondary to injury for a stretch - here are the saints stats with the "rob hangover"

still not good but substantially improved.

2015 YPG allowed: 413

2016 YPG: 375

2015 Yard per play allowed: 6.6

2016 YPP: 6.0

2015 PPG allowed: 29.1

2016 PPG: 26.1

if we see similar bounces, and keep the offense on track, we should be in a nice spot.

and you knew the problem from the get go would be that if it failed he wouldnt be able to handle managing his brother. hes too loyal to friends, yet alone rob.

Weaker opponents than 2015.

DVOA - Defense

2015 - #24

2016 - #26

It's a damn shame. Makes sense though..

terrible mistake based on emotion if true

I honestly feel bad for Rex. loyal to the death. and i bit of respect for that. Not smart at all though if true. And i like Dunne

I respectfully disagree with that statement. Anyone who puts one person, over the team as a whole, is not loyal. Like the statement that has been quoted that he made a promise to Tyrod. Why in the world would a coach make such a promise? I wouldn't call that loyalty, i call that not having the courage to be a prick.

I remember the spin being that Rex (not Rob) would run *his* defense in 2016, not the "hybrid" between his D and what Schwartz was doing. This was supposed to have made things simpler and more fully pregnant.

:thumbsup:

echos the sentiments out of NOLA (and Buffalo) last year at this time. The saints were disorganized - took penalties and timeouts for not having the right number of guys etc.... and played below their talents.

Didn't another nameless Bills defensive player last week say that Rob was actually brilliant and the stuff he designed was fantastic, or something to that affect? I don't like Rob one bit but surprised people are taking these quotes, from one guy, who may not even be a starter, as gospel.

Didn't another nameless Bills defensive player last week say that Rob was actually brilliant and the stuff he designed was fantastic, or something to that affect? I don't like Rob one bit but surprised people are taking these quotes, from one guy, who may not even be a starter, as gospel.

The two takes aren't mutually exclusive. Rob might be a mad scientist whose schemes are "brilliant" but not practical to run on Sundays... Martz was similar.

I didn't see that one. But I'd have to believe it was Darby or Gilmore, and in reference to hair care technology.

The two takes aren't mutually exclusive. Rob might be a mad scientist whose schemes are "brilliant" but not practical to run on Sundays... Martz was similar.

Imagine if DC Tom taught a class to illiterates?

What's funny is watching so many here gobbke this down and slobber this knob like they knew this all along. I could name names, but I'm not going to.

It's a joke that a few here; coach Tuesday, firechan, gg, hopeful ... Didn't take the bait. Didn't go off on Gilmore. Didn't want to throw stones at players because a truly intelligent football mind can see whaysngoing on and it wasn't the players. It was coaching. All coaching.

Kudos to us that were smart enough to see. Shame on you who denied us our place and you must know you're the reason this board is 99% unreadable.

Also, DC Tom has been surprisingly accurate to break down events, not because she knows football but because he knows common sense.

@TyDunne

Had an interesting chat with one #Bills defensive player today on what went wrong for them this year. Will pass along a couple quotes.

More from this #Bills player on D: "Rob ruined our whole defense. He took over everything. ... He confused us." Called it a "disaster."

This #Bills player said that Rob Ryan -- not Rex -- was the problem. Rob was basically the team's DC in 2016. "He changed everything."

Bills defensive player on Rob Ryan's D: "Players hated it. Everything we played was dictated off the offense. We had no identity."

One other note: Player I chatted with said Rob Ryan mixed man with zone so much it confused everybody. "It was all over the place."

In sum, guys on D livid because they felt the #Bills offense carried their weight in 2016 and the changes ruined a potentially great season.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Rob seems to be a "lightening in a bottle" DC. He needs to have the perfect players for more than a year in order to have success.

You know those defensive player sentiments made there way to Doug Whaley and Terry Pegula. Probably why it created the talent vs coaching riff between DW and RR and what led Terry to realizing this just wasn't working.

The one thing I remember Schwartz say when he arrived is that he didn't want to confuse the players with all new stuff or make the game too complicated to play. He was able to successfully blend some of Pettines stuff with what he did and the defense actually improved in certain areas. That's why RR comments about their struggles last year were partly because he was trying to blend in some of what Schwartz did in order to make the transition easier was BS. Good coaches know how to handle that. Schwartz did.

Usually when the dust clears you really see the inner workings of why stuff didn't work. Stuff that fans couldn't be privy to during the season cuz no one wants to speak out against the coach.

And when they do, see Mario Williams.

Granted Mario was past his prime and wasn't worth the money anyways. But safe to say his remarks weren't too far off from what' many players are now saying after the fact.

Rex is done in the NFL as a head coach and likely as a coordinator. So is his brother, who will go back to being a linebacker coach somewhere.

Edited by dezertbill